Led Zeppelin Discussion, The Greatest Band Of All Time

Parker

Theres something about playing guitar along to any Zep Album that it never gets old. I remember 6 years ago when I got my first electric the first thing I wanted to play was Heartbreaker. As a band I really like their more varied pieces like Kashmir and No Quarter its a sound that is a great mixture of electrics and acoustics not to mention the studio tricks that Page applied to the recordings like mic placements (Levee Breaks) and reverse delay (Whole Lotta Love) .

I would make a longer post but Im on my phone atm. :P

Ill write more when I get home.

LZ is one of my favorites and personal influence this is a cool post parker Id love to discuss and review each of the albums individually with you too.

Edited by Ramonachan
  • Like 1

I don't think there's a bad that has made as severe an impact on music as Zeppelin. Every member of that band could've easily been the stand out member of another band + somehow they managed to gel w/o sounding like they were fighting for attention. Since I Been Loving You is frickin' amazing. I can't explain in words what pages solo in that song does to me. It sounds like a broken heart. He's the reason I kept playing after I started to get frustrated.

Awesome thread, man. Thanx. Check out Them Crooked Vultures if you haven't already. Jones still plays like a bad ass.

Edited by JACK5HlT
  • Like 1

Theres something about playing guitar along to any Zep Album that it never gets old. I remember 6 years ago when I got my first electric the first thing I wanted to play was Heartbreaker. As a band I really like their more varied pieces like Kashmir and No Quarter its a sound that is a great mixture of electrics and acoustics not to mention the studio tricks that Page applied to the recordings like mic placements (Levee Breaks) and reverse delay (Whole Lotta Love) .

I would make a longer post but Im on my phone atm. :P

Ill write more when I get home.

LZ is one of my favorites and personal influence this is a cool post parker Id love to discuss and review each of the albums individually with you too.

That is another thing I love about Zeppelin. They have all sorts of different songs and styles, from the deeply technical to just raw blues rock. I love their acoustic sets too, there aren't many bands that could play a set as varied as theirs. 

Page pioneered a lot of studio techniques as well, he was a studio musician long before he joined the Yardbirds and it is estimated he played on 60% of all the records that came out of England between 1960 and '64 or '65. In fact, if I'm not mistaken he even played on The Who's first album.

Parker 

• Like 1

Not sure I'd say Zepplin were the best. Think i'd probably lean towards Queen. But they have a few decent songs. I'm only 19 so I didn't really grow up with the bands, but its just my opinion.

• Like 1

You're very lucky you were born and raised when those awesome bands were up and running

I can't say I have an absolute favorite band/artist, perhaps because I wasn't born in those days, I just like to hear great songs from the 70's-80's (Bruce, Queen, Bryan Adams, etc..)

This, Id kill a child to see Queen live.

Queen is my favorite band, I grew up listening to them - but i am a Hip Hop Head, and only 19 like the poster above me so I don't know much about Rock.

Those are some cool Vinyls, Parker.

Led zeppelin is great i really love them, they are one of best bands of all time like pink floyd, ramones, the doors, the beatles, rolling stones, bob dylan, ac/dc, deep purple, nirvana, motorhead, r.e.m., alice in chains, iron maiden ... damn i need to stop :P

Edited by Blood-Rose666

They're good, I much prefer their earlier work, but they're a cool band. Greatest band of all time though? Gonna have to go with The Beatles on that one. ;)

While I like The Beatles, I'd classify them as the most overrated band of all time. Once Sgt. Pepper released they just stopped touring and an important aspect of a great band to me personally is live performances. Still, they're a great band and I have all their albums as well, it is a shame they broke up in the manner that they did though. 

Parker

This is only tangentially related to Led Zeppelin, but this is the opening scene from It Might Get Loud, a documentary starring Jimmy Page, The Edge from U2, and Jack White from The White Stripes and The Raconteurs. Watch Jack White create a reasonably workable guitar from a Coke bottle, some wood scraps, a few nails, a guitar string, and a pickup.

While I like The Beatles, I'd classify them as the most overrated band of all time. Once Sgt. Pepper released they just stopped touring and an important aspect of a great band to me personally is live performances. Still, they're a great band and I have all their albums as well, it is a shame they broke up in the manner that they did though. 

Parker

To me, its the way they had such a profound influence on literally everything. Another thing, all their albums were so masterfully produced; listening to The Kinks today, you can notice the difference in quality - The Beatles just sound timeless. Most overrated band for me would have to be Oasis, i'm not sure how big they are in the States, but in Britian their huge, and really their just a couple chavs who could barely sing, wrote nonsensical lyrics, and got other people to write the guitar pieces for

them. 

Are you much of a Thin Lizzy fan? Quite big amongst the Led Zeppelin fans.  :)

Edited by Resident-Zelda

Led Zeppelin is great and deffinately one of the best bands ever. I listen to alot of music so for me it's hard to put a list of whos the absolute best. I'm personally a diehard Hanoi Rocks fan and all the other music I listen to is thanks to that band. Otherwise I would of never really gotten into music. I have tremoundous respect for Zeppelin, they inspired so many and continue to still do it today, including my self.

70's and 80's were the best and I'm sad that I didnt live to see those times. Hopefully I'll be able to put up a band and bring rock n roll alive a little, if not for the whole world, but even for my self.

To me, its the way they had such a profound influence on literally everything. Another thing, all their albums were so masterfully produced; listening to The Kinks today, you can notice the difference in quality - The Beatles just sound timeless. Most overrated band for me would have to be Oasis, i'm not sure how big they are in the States, but in Britian their huge, and really their just a couple chavs who could barely sing, wrote nonsensical lyrics, and got other people to write the guitar pieces for

them. 

Are you much of a Thin Lizzy fan? Quite big amongst the Led Zeppelin fans.  :)

I do like Thin Lizzy but I don't think I've really listened to them enough to call myself a fan. There are definitely a band I'd like to explore though. For my Irish rock I listen to Rory Gallagher. 

What good is a Zeppelin thread without videos?

Personally, I think their Royal Albert Hall performance in '70 is one of the greatest live performances of all time. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edPEBB6VjRQ

The video is only 240p but it still sounds glorious. 

Crazy to think this was less than a year before, still awesome of course. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu6FTAVRCMI

Rory Gallagher is amazing too. He is one of the few people who can make a Strat really sing, in my opinion. Clapton never sounded good with a Strat, Rory kills it. 

Another reason I love Rory's live performances, look at how he interacts with the crowd. You'd never see that from someone these days. 

Parker

• Like 1

This is only tangentially related to Led Zeppelin, but this is the opening scene from It Might Get Loud, a documentary starring Jimmy Page, The Edge from U2, and Jack White from The White Stripes and The Raconteurs. Watch Jack White create a reasonably workable guitar from a Coke bottle, some wood scraps, a few nails, a guitar string, and a pickup.

I've seen that doc and I prefer to call it Riding Page's Dick Featuring Jack White and The Edge

How about we start discussing the albums individually? 

Edited by Ramonachan