Where's the frickin' platinum?

P-JiZ

I have to admit, I HAAAATED this game when I first got it.  The controls suck (or do they?), the character does not respond when he/she needs to (or do they?).

The truth is, it has grown on me like a nasty zit that I just can't help but pick at!  It's hard, but it keeps me coming back for more.  And you know what?  I'm getting better! ... barely.

The question is, where's the platinum for this game?!?  It's soooo hard and soooo long that there is no real reason NOT to have a platinum.  I mean, you have to do every level perfectly with no mistake to get the "S" rank in finess... that by itself deserves more than a single gold trophy.

• Like 1

Most of the PSN games that don't have physical release don't have a platinum. There are some exceptions like Trine 2 or VelocityUltra, but for the most part (around 90%) don't have platinum. There are no specific rules why this game have on or not, I think it's Sony that sets the rule.

The most confusing one if probably Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes which should have included a platinum, but it doesn't. Again, the game is so short that Sony probably said no. Again, no ones know for sure.

Apparently there are rules on when a game gets a platinum and when it doesn't. Apparently there is some sort of magical calculation done which has to do with how many different mechanics the game has, how much you can do in it, how long it is, etc. Basically, if the game has more of these things then it is a "large scope" game, and gets a plat. If not, it is a "small scope" game, and doesn't.

Here is a dev speaking about it.

Dustforce sounds "small scope" to me. I gather you just clean up garbage and get quicker and quicker as you practice?

It simple - connections matter.

If you have friends at Sony (or they like you for some reason), then any game can get platinum (see Velocity Ultra, Lone Survivor and a freaking Sound Shapes).

Why does it matter? Trophy types are random, if you want to care about something - care about rarity.

• Like 1

I have to admit, I HAAAATED this game when I first got it.  The controls suck (or do they?), the character does not respond when he/she needs to (or do they?).

The truth is, it has grown on me like a nasty zit that I just can't help but pick at!  It's hard, but it keeps me coming back for more.  And you know what?  I'm getting better! ... barely.

The question is, where's the platinum for this game?!?  It's soooo hard and soooo long that there is no real reason NOT to have a platinum.  I mean, you have to do every level perfectly with no mistake to get the "S" rank in finess... that by itself deserves more than a single gold trophy.

Why'd you of bought the game if you hated it in the beginning, there is a demo for both PS3 and Vita versions. Demo gave access to leaderboards with replays so you can tell what to expect if you do buy this game.  Anyways.

You can expect what at 1st seems like crappy controls, etc, but ths is an incredibly tight and difficult platformer. But also really enjoyable. Very zen like with great music. What you shouldn't expect is a platinum, asd vivian000 said care about the rarity for this game, it 's only gonna go down. This is a damn hard game with a steep learning curve. SS'ing each level would be slightly easier if it saved one result from one character, say for finesse and then one for completion. However you need to do both in one run, Just brutal on some stages. Replay's help if those with SS's upload them, but you need to beat the level yourself 1st to see them. Which is rough on some of the locked ones.

As for the how's and why's of where the precious platinum is, I don't know nor care. It may get a few more to buy the game if it had one, but it wouldn't make them any better. I'm still utter shite at this game, takes a lot of platforming skills and rote memorization. Getting 100% in this will be harder than a lot of platinums, and imo I've gotten many bronze and silver's that took more skill to get than a gold or even plat. Read some reviews on Steam, saw one where the reviewer clocked in over 400 hours. Crazy. This game may seem "small scope" but it's quite deep.

To twitterize, (tl;dr), if you're looking for an easy game with a platinum or just an easy 100%, look elsewhere. If you want a unique game that pushes your skills and patience on parts but is never unfair, this is worth taking a look at. Great game, much more than sweeping dust ha. Although cleaning's never been so stylish, or demanding. Mastering the blue character seems key to SS's, which is about all I can offer tip-wise after my brief time with this. Glad this went on sale, never glanced at it. Really doubt at the moment I'll get 100%, but if there were a plat it wouldn't drive me to play any more.

Edited by Big_Blue_Tree
  • Like 1