Nintendo Amiibo Figures Price Revealed Through UK Online Retailer

Lady Lilith

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/nintendo-amiibo-figures-price-revealed-uk-online-retailer/

Nintendo-Amiibo.jpg

Over the last few years, NFC figures like Skylanders and Disney Infinity has dominated the gaming market with insane sales numbers. This is due to the “gotta catch ‘em all” element of them, where you have to continue to buy figures to use in the select games they are made for on various systems. As a result, of course Nintendo had to get in on the fun with the official announcement of their Amiibo figures as E3 a couple weeks ago.

During this reveal, we learned that rather than getting games built just for these figures like the others, we instead will be able to use them in the hottest Nintendo releases, such as Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U, and even some games on the 3DS with a special attachment that will come later. Due to this, everyone has been wondering how much these figures will cost, as most people out there cannot afford to buy a full collection if they are not extremely cheap.

Through the very popular UK online games retailer ShopTo, which has broken gaming news in the past with their listings, we have our first official price listing for the Amiibo figures, albeit in British pounds. ShopTo currently has pretty much all of the Amiibo figures that were revealed at E3, each with a price tag of £12.85. This roughly converts to $21.81, but conversion rates are not always exact when it comes to gaming.

If they did in fact run for $20, this does seem relatively high, especially compared to the other NFC figures that range from $10-15. With Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime saying they would retail for around the same price as Skylanders and Disney Infinity, it is likely it will fall in that cheaper range when they release in the US.

$20 per figure seems pretty damn high, especially if this is a way to get DLC characters.  Who wants to pay $20 for a DLC character?

I'd say it's a fair price. The actual figures are very high quality and each figure can be used in multiple games. If you take into consideration that Skylanders and Disney Infinity are $10-$15 each, and only work with one game. Then the Nintendo figures will be a way better value. Right now, they'll be used in 2 games, so it averages out to about $10 per game, which is about the same as it's competitors. If they're eventually used in just 4 games, you're averaging $5 per game, which is very reasonable. If they expand it to as many as 10 games, then you're only paying an average of $2 per game. I'd say that's more than a fair price.

• Like 4

It's completely unfair to call these a cash-grab.  They are very well designed, detailed figures, moreso than the Disney Infinity or Skylanders ones, even if you don't take into account their other uses, and figures are even more expensive than that.  They'd be cheap even if they were just figures.  Plus, these not only include DLC, but can be used for data transfer, which improves their value.

Hell, I know I'd purchase them just to collect them, even if I had no intention to use them in the games.

• Like 1

20$ is not cheap for a non-poseable figure. I know it works with games as well but that is what DLC is for.

This is a cash-grab and a really sick one at that. If this was EA doing this then people would be up in arms.

Nope, just like other posters have stated, this is pretty much on par with Skylanders except you will have more games to use them in. Very fair on the price for people that intend to use these for their games. And poseable figures are about $50-70 so once again very fair in comparison.

Nope, just like other posters have stated, this is pretty much on par with Skylanders except you will have more games to use them in. Very fair on the price for people that intend to use these for their games. And poseable figures are about $50-70 so once again very fair in comparison.

Yeah but Skylanders are rip-offs as well. Most games come with all the characters needed to play and don't force you to buy every single one.

Imagine if you were playing Final Fantasy but instead of characters joining your party you just bought them all instead. Or in Pokemon you had to buy every single pokemon in your party.

This is just DLC and it is VERY expensive DLC. I paid about 50$ for my Nintendo 18 figures and they look just as good as the one OP,

25ulj4z.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah but Skylanders are rip-offs as well. Most games come with all the characters needed to play and don't force you to buy every single one.

Imagine if you were playing Final Fantasy but instead of characters joining your party you just bought them all instead. Or in Pokemon you had to buy every single pokemon in your party.

This is just DLC and it is VERY expensive DLC. I paid about 50$ for my Nintendo 18 figures and they look just as good as the one OP,

25ulj4z.jpg

I never saw what people ever saw in Skylanders/Disney Infinity solely for this very reason.  It's like DLC on steroids.  Except worse, because you actually have to buy something physically to get it, and it's many times more expensive.

• Like 1