Roleplayer or Completionist

Dreakon139

Probably a dumb question, since in the end I think we all want the trophies...

But which style of play do you prefer for Skyrim (or games like it)?

When I say roleplaying, I mean... if you want to play a stealthy thief, odds are you don't join the Companions or do warrior-esque things. If you want to be a big guy that bashes skulls in, but may be a little too slow for the art of magery... you don't join the College or excel in any particular school. More or less, picking a role for your character and playing it as you feel your character would play it.

Either that or regularly going outside of your characters "comfort zone" to complete everything the game has to offer (and/or get all of the trophies) in one playthrough.

I'm more the latter, personally. :)

Can't we be both? I dunno', maybe I don't follow your thoughts fully, but I enjoy the role playing aspects and become totally involved in the character. However, I am also a completionist. Not so much for the trophies, but I can not pass up on a single side quest, mission or whatever. I also move at a snails pace as I like to check out every little thing, be it on the open lands, or in caves, castles, forts...whatever. I can spend hours searching every little thing.

That is why I have so many hours into the game yet very few main quests/missions completed. If I am given a side quest, off I go to do it. As it is I have a list as long as my arm of miscellaneous quests from various people/characters.

Can't we be both? I dunno', maybe I don't follow your thoughts fully, but I enjoy the role playing aspects and become totally involved in the character.

You can probably be both, I'm asking which you are more of. From your post, it sounds more like you're a completionist. You leave no stone unturned, whether it goes against the "roleplaying rulebook" you set for your character (if there is one). :P

Well I guess completionist. I like to enjoy as much of the game that it has to offer, and to me that means doing every option the game has to offer. (I won't be tedious looking through every chest/dungeon though because I get seriously burnt out if I do that.) I have my (supposed-to-be) mage only character joining the Companions anf fighting with a sword but only during the times they make me use it. I thought I could join them and it not matter that I use magic, but they're smarter than that :(

(My game glitched the beginning mission because I used fire on Vilkas, it refused to let me beat him and he just kept saying to quit using magic even after I had put all magic away and used sword on where he lost all health and fell down over 15 times, would tell me to fight him again, but nothing changed. I guess I angered him by ever using magic. I loaded a previous save file and hit him three times (just 3 swings) and I completed the mission, so yeah, they're smarter than that and I don't dare use magic in front of them again lol).

You can probably be both, I'm asking which you are more of. From your post, it sounds more like you're a completionist. You leave no stone unturned, whether it goes against the "roleplaying rulebook" you set for your character (if there is one). :P

Yeah, I suppose you are right then Dreakon, if I were to pick one, I would have to go with Completionist. I am as bad a a Ferengi on Star Trek...I check everything and everything has a price tag on it! :lol:

• 4 years later...
On 1/18/2012 at 0:27 AM, Dreakon139 said:

Probably a dumb question, since in the end I think we all want the trophies...

But which style of play do you prefer for Skyrim (or games like it)?

When I say roleplaying, I mean... if you want to play a stealthy thief, odds are you don't join the Companions or do warrior-esque things. If you want to be a big guy that bashes skulls in, but may be a little too slow for the art of magery... you don't join the College or excel in any particular school. More or less, picking a role for your character and playing it as you feel your character would play it.

Either that or regularly going outside of your characters "comfort zone" to complete everything the game has to offer (and/or get all of the trophies) in one playthrough.

I'm more the latter, personally. :)

haha i prefer stealth ofc but i like joining factions x3 My Khajit by nature is sneaky and so on. I am "roleplaying" the fact that my Khajit is trying to find their true calling that is opposite to their nature xD I have done the companions guild with much effort xD joined the Mages and Thieves  Guild. idk my style is always sneak but i love being open to factions and stuff x3 so i am defo weak for most of them but that is what makes it fun , trying to do quests tht are obviously are not made for my class. that is why when i do complete them, i feel way more of a badass than i should xD I want to leave the dark brohood later x3

I would love to get all the trophies but eh, idk, i just love to experience the game as is. A lone Khajit, wandaring Skyrim admist its corruption and war x3 plus Aela is super cool =D haha just realised, as I am emotionally distant, being sneaky and using bow-arrow legit reflects me =D plus i hate confrontations xD for instance, i remember one quest where there were those Scymitar weidling redgards were constantly killing me but i devised a plan whereby i just ran away until there was a narrow path, and haha killed them, some while i was in sneak and others when i wasn't but either way was challenging x3

I almost never play a game just for the trophies. I still go for them obviously but they're always a second priority to the actual game for me.

In response to your question; I guess you could call me a role-player when it comes to Skyrim.

Crispy78923.png

Edited by Crispy78923

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I'd be a roleplayer in the game if I wasn't "the best of the best, legendary warrior, etc." 
I wish I could just be a farmer who is a thief/assassin on the side, instead of the almighty dovahkiin, archmage, thane of each city, own 3 full houses, hero of k'Vatch etc. (yes I know, the last one is Oblivion. I need my point made.) For sure there would be huge problems in making a real (main)questline, but it just doesn't seem immersive when I try to live life slowly in whiterun or so and the guards keep asking me if I really did absorb a dragon soul. 

Long story short - can't get into roleplay, became a completionist.