How many playthroughs to get all trophies?

There are a few differences that anyone who is looking in going from other difficulties to Grounded + 

- If you collected all the toolboxes on a previous difficulty (not Grounded) then you will only begin with 3 out of 5 toolboxes! (Save 1 shiv for toolbox after shiv door in University)

- Unless you have fully upgraded a weapon on your previous play through, for some reason you lose a couple of slots that you had previously upgraded. 

- Blade parts are SUPER rare and it is recommended NOT to use them unless you know where the good loot is on shiv doors (I had only 6 in my entire Grounded + play through)

Edited by McLovin2BeatU

1. Start your first playthrough on Easy or Normal or Hard, get all shiv doors, collect as many parts and supplements as possible. Fully upgrade the bow, rifle and flame thrower (if possible).

Use supplements to update Max Health, Weapon Sway and whatever else you want but try to have 225 left at the end of the game. This is because you can't update Shiv Master on Easy and it requires 75 supplements for level 1 and 150 supplements for level 2.

2. Start your second playthrough on Easy+, get all shiv doors again, collect as many parts, supplies and supplements as possible. Always carry 3 of any item (nailbomb, molotov, shiv, etc) but never use them. Also only use your guns if absolutely necessary or you know that you will get more ammo shortly so your guns are always fully loaded.

Start upgrading your weapons in the following order: Flamethrower, El Diablo, Shorty, Shotgun, Revolver, 9mm. (Should you not have enough parts to upgrade all weapons you'll only be missing the ones you get near the beginning of the game. If you're missing an upgrade to the Flamethrower, you'll have to play through all the way until you pick it up again).

Play until you reach the epilogue but don't finish. Save your game, go to the main menu and...

3. Select each chapter (or sub chapter, I recommend doing no more than 2 sub chapters at once) in reverse, starting with 11. Select Grounded difficulty and create a new save slot.

This way you'll have a full arsenal, lots of weapon parts (if you haven't upgraded any weapsons before at this point in the game) on Grounded+. You can just kill everything easily and run through the game without having to pick up or search for anything.

Steps 2 and 3 combined took me about 15 hours of playtime (9 on Easy+ collecting everything, 6 on Grounded+ chapter replay).

4. After completing every subchapter on Grounded play the Epilogue again, on Grounded, and you will pop every single difficulty related trophy you haven't unlocked before.

Can you please explain further how to do step 3? Do I need to finish the chapter then proceed to the next chapter then save. or save before ending the chapter? Does the save file have to be in a different slot or I can just overwrite my gounded+ save?

Doubt I have the skill needed to survive Grounded mode. Died so much on normal it's unreal. Had alot of wtf moments followed by ohhhhhhhhhh, that's how you do it. 

Once I've played the game through to the end though I'll ramp up the difficulty and see how it goes. See you in a few weeks cursing my own ineptitude! 

Can you please explain further how to do step 3? Do I need to finish the chapter then proceed to the next chapter then save. or save before ending the chapter? Does the save file have to be in a different slot or I can just overwrite my gounded+ save?

In case you are still wondering, you save and quit once the next chapter starts (you'll know because if you're doing them in reverse order, you've just done this part). I believe you can save over your easy+ save (back up just in case). Then go back to chapter select and the chapter you've just finished should say "Completed on Grounded". Then do the same for previous chapter. Because you are going in reverse order, each chapter you start will give you whatever supplies you had at that point on your easy playthrough. If you played in normal order, then you would begin each chapter with whatever supplies you currently have on your grounded playthrough.

• Like 1

I got all the trophies in 3 playthroughs + chapter select. 1st on grounded, 2nd is grounded +, 3rd is easy + for collectibles, optional conversations, shiv doors (or you can use the infinite shiv glitch in your grounded playthrough), ellie's jokes, supplements and weapon upgrades. then you can go back to chapter select for any of the one's you missed EXCEPT the joel supplement upgrades and weapon upgrades, if you don't have enough to craft everything by your third playthrough, you have o start another playthrough. I personally got enough supplements in the second playthrough and all the weapon upgrades halfway through the third.

P.S grounded mode trophies are not needed for the plat for this game, but it adds a nice challenge

Yes, you have to finish all chapters (and sub-chapters). For example, if you go in reverse, once start at subchapter 3 of Bill's Town, you'll begin at the short cutscene where Joel gets the shotgun and inspects it. Now, once you start Bill's Town at subchapter 1, you'll have to play until you reach that moment again.

You only create a new save once, so you don't mess up your Easy+ Progress. For example, once you are at the epiloge go to the main menu, chapter select, choose the hospital, grounded difficulty and create a new save file.

After reaching the epilogue again, quit to the main menu, go to chapter select, bus depot (not sure about the full name), grounded difficulty and overwrite your other save (or you can create a new one).

If you create a new one pay attention that you're always on the correct save file after quitting and restarting the game. The game doesn't save difficulty progress on your profile but on the save file, so if you'd clear a few chapters on grounded but then reload an earlier save file, you'd have to do all these again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There are some collectibles that are impossible to get in Grounded? I played my first on grounded dificulty (almost 30 hours, never played before) and reach the halfway of most of the weapons, fully develop Joel health, shiv and stability with pils, all the comics and 83 collectables. Now I working on grounded+ for the rest, but there are some conversations that you need to kill everyone (but where you can also escape using stealh) or something like that?

PS: I think it's kind of cheating doing the Grounded+ glich.

• 4 weeks later...

There are some collectibles that are impossible to get in Grounded? I played my first on grounded dificulty (almost 30 hours, never played before) and reach the halfway of most of the weapons, fully develop Joel health, shiv and stability with pils, all the comics and 83 collectables. Now I working on grounded+ for the rest, but there are some conversations that you need to kill everyone (but where you can also escape using stealh) or something like that?

PS: I think it's kind of cheating doing the Grounded+ glich.

You can get everything in two playthroughs (Grounded and Grounded+). The game actually gives you enough ammos if you go guns blazing on Grounded. I'm currently on my Grounded+ playthrough and have collected everything I missed on my first playthrough (on PS4) and i have literally killed every living thing that came across with me and only once or twice I've lost all my ammo. But don't worry, there's usually some ammo laying around or when you kill an enemy with melee you get some. I just left the university so I think all the hardest stuff is behind and I only need to collect couple of things and upgrade my pistol and then finish the game.

PS. I don't understand why people use the Grounded+ glitch. I'm enjoying this game much more by playing it legit. And I'm really having fun thought my current playthrough is my 7th time I'm doing it :o