The Insomniac Circle: Duke Nukem Forever

jackmadrox

This is a random discussion thread for users that are up past midnight. We discuss gaming topics of all kind here to help pass the time.

Duke Nukem Forever seems to be one of those games that get trashed by alot of gamers who claim to have been totally let down by it. Was it disappointment of it not being like the older Duke games? Story? Gameplay? Graphics?

I for one, had no complaints, and I've played all the old games way long ago.

• Like 2

Hmm I keep meaning to buy that, game is expensive though, £2 would destroy my yearly budget in a heartbeat. 

I seriously just keep forgetting to purchase it  :facepalm:

If you're up for another cheap, so bad it's good game, give alpha protocol ago. 

You can see it had some potential, but it really didn't fill it what so ever, none the less I like it, maybe you will too. 

Probably cost like $3 haha.

• Like 1

The game is not as bad as everyone says or thinks. It fell into the same category as the last Alien game. Unfortunately Gearbox was associated with both titles. I would have been a little pissed if I plunked down $60 and preordered it, but I think I picked it up for $15 and it's well worth it. Really can't compare it too the old games as FPS games just have (mostly) evolved too much. I though some parts were funny, some parts were shit.  Perfect example of of 5 or 6 out of 10. 

• Like 1

I fucking devoured DNF - brilliant stuff. 

I took the game for what it is, and was absolutely infatuated with the shitty one-liners and piss-poor jokes, because I actually adore those things. The "I'm too fucking cool for school" attitude Duke possessed was a change of pace from the typical dark anti-hero bullshit entertainment is being consumed by, which was something I truly admired. 

This is easily one of my favorite games of the previous generation simply because it's an unadulterated, broken, yet hilarious and enjoyable piece of shit :)

• Like 1

it looked good to start with but the game was on/off in production for over a decade so once you get into it, it begins to show its age... the devs didn't try to revamp it either so it feels like a game from 20 years ago which was probably what they wanted to go for to keep the retro aspect but it wouldn't of hurt to fully modernise it...

its always nice to see classic games get returned to but its a shame when they don't quite get it right by today's standards of games...

doom 3 met the same applause/criticism too... if both of these games were released in around 2002 then they'd both get 9/10 without a doubt...

Edited by DARKSCORPONOXR
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Very old topic that I have to revive this tread.

I almost about to beat the game 3 chapters left and the game so far isn't that bad at all. Bought it really cheap and I don't see low points that make me hate it so much other than Duke saying some lame jokes that think are funny with his bad attitude even though I laugh only to a few parts. The platforming can be suck at times. Other than that, it ain't all that bad compared when the game first released where everyone was on a hate bandwagon for sure. 

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

The game doesn't allow the inverting of both axes. They give you the option for 0/2 invert, and 1/2 invert, but not 2/2 invert. Because fuck those people, that's why.

To fix this, I insert my 3rd party controller that has button mapping.

The game doesn't support the 3rd party controller. Game lags so much that it makes it unplayable. In the neighbourhood of 1 fps, or not responsive at all.

Fuck you, 2K and your pandering game with ancient programming.

Edited by effdeegee