PS+ required to play multiplayer?

DocWong

Anyone know why they made the decision to make multiplayer require PS+ on MC PS4, cause on PC its free to play online, on PS3 its free to play online (not sure about xbox one if you need gold) but on PS4 you need PS+ and I thought that it was ridiculous, cause my PS+ subscription expired before it came out. :/

Edited by DocWong

They did it because Microsoft was making a killing off Live subscriptions, and they felt they needed to equal the playing field so they did it themselves. PS+ offers a ridiculous amount of free games though so its worth it anyway.

Agreed. I've used the 2 Day trial and at the beginning of October, I get my first load of pay from work so hopefully, I'll be PS+ member and I can get them free games. This months lot look so good!

Now, I'm not saying this is 100% true, but to me it seems the more plausible explanation. Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

I've always thought the reason that PS+ is required to play online on PS4 is that now Sony are the ones hosting the servers used for multiplayer. On the PS3, similar to the PS2 (albeit separating itself with features that allowed for a more persistent online presence), the game developers/publishers were the ones hosting or maintaining the servers for use in their multiplayer games. Now, on PS4, Sony is taking up this responsibility, and it's obviously going to cost them more so than maintaining the PSN over the PS3, especially with the added feature set that comes with the PS4.

Edited by CandiBunni

Now, I'm not saying this is 100% true, but to me it seems the more plausible explanation. Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

I've always thought the reason that PS+ is required to play online on PS4 is that now Sony are the ones hosting the servers used for multiplayer. On the PS3, similar to the PS2 (albeit separating itself with features that allowed for a more persistent online presence) the game developers/publishers were the ones hosting or maintaining the servers for use in their multiplayer games. Now, on PS4, Sony is taking up this responsibility, and it's obviously going to cost them more so than maintaining the PSN over the PS3, especially with the added feature set that comes with the PS4.

This. Plus also, if you need Xbox Live Gold or Playstation Plus to play online multiplayer, games don't need to require an Online Pass, which means people won't get their knickers in a twist over the whole "online pass" thing. Because EVERYONE has to pay to play online for pretty much every game. And considering that for all of Xbox 360's lifetime they needed to pay to play online, and PS3 didn't, it's not as if needing PS+ means you're getting the short end of the stick.

I've always thought the reason that PS+ is required to play online on PS4 is that now Sony are the ones hosting the servers used for multiplayer. On the PS3, similar to the PS2 (albeit separating itself with features that allowed for a more persistent online presence), the game developers/publishers were the ones hosting or maintaining the servers for use in their multiplayer games. Now, on PS4, Sony is taking up this responsibility, and it's obviously going to cost them more so than maintaining the PSN over the PS3, especially with the added feature set that comes with the PS4.

If this is true then that's fantastic news because that would mean no server closure and no unobtainable Platinums due to online being dead.

But do you think EA would let Sony take over PS4 EA online? Like yea, they would still have control over PS3 and PSV but considering EA... I don't know .D