This is the dumbest dilemma I've ever had...

Dreakon13

So I have three things...

1. A $1000 PC with 400+ games of varying quality.

2. A PS3 with about 20-30 fantastic games.

3. Not enough time to really dig into both.

So lately I've been jumping from PC to PS3 in my few hours of free gaming time a week, and accomplishing nothing.  Those of you who know me (there's a few out there), know that I'm completely insane when it comes to this stuff.  It's the dumbest problem in the world to have (one that I'm fortunate enough to be in a place in life to actually concern myself with).  LOL!  I need to pick one and just go with it, or I'm afraid my little gaming time is forever doomed to linger in this static mediocrity.  Maybe you guys can help!?

On the one hand, I have so much invested into my PC.  I'm sort of proud that I actually built it myself.  I was gaming on it for years, I played a ton of great games and (as you can tell) have a ton of great games still sitting there unplayed.  The option is always there for me to invest a little more money in it, and crank up the AA, ultra-HD textures and resolutions and really go to town.  (My current machine is handling the next-gen games like a champ so far, but isn't far from outliving it's usefulness.)  The freedom, customization, modding (both using and making) are appealing features to this open platform.  The community features on Steam are remarkable, and I've amassed quite a collection of online friends... reading about their adventures, watching videos and looking at screenshots, reading reviews... are all things that make the clock at work go just a little bit quicker. ;)  Reliance on the online gaming communities is important to me, because no one else I know cares nearly as much as I do about these little virtual trophies.  The little things about the PC are nice as well.  The TV is not in use, so I can actually multi-task and watch hockey games in my little study while I play.  Listen to music.  Really do anything on the PC that requires nothing more than simple keyboard commands.  Frankly, I kind of enjoy computers in general.  Heck, I based my career off them... and having a gaming PC is kind of overkill if I'm not using it.

On the other hand, the PS3 is really the ideal gaming machine for having friends and family over (if you can ignore that games have significant performance issues compared to my beefy gaming PC).  Games actually have split-screen and couch coop (something I can't really do with my bulky ass PC, both because it's inconvenient to lug into the living room with the nice big TV, and because PC games shamelessly remove split screen and local coop functionality for some reason).  I prefer the trophy system because platinum's are more often more reasonable (read: fun) than getting 100% in everything... and even then, the option to 100% a game is there.  The tipping point here though is the exclusives.  Uncharted is probably my favorite series of all time (it helps third person shooters are one of my favorite genres).  The NHL games, albeit not exclusive to PS3, but to console, are the only games I've consistently played through every up and down over the last few years.  LittleBigPlanet, Heavy Rain, The Last of Us, Yakuza, Ni no Kuni, etc.  I still need to get Beyond: Two Souls and probably a handful of other games before I have every game I want... and then I need to actually play them. xD

If you've actually endured my insane first world moaning up to this point, you're probably thinking... "What're you doing?!  Sounds like you have nothing but good things to say about the Playstation, heck you called it the 'ideal gaming machine'... just play it!"  It definitely feels like it has more for me, gaming-wise... and I realize this is a Playstation community.  An awesome one!  The pull of the PC is strong though, especially with the financial investment (read: obligation) backing it... and knowing deep down that if the PS3 becomes my "primary" platform, that a pricey little PS4 is right around the corner (which is a good thing if you don't like money haha).

And before anyone asks, yes I am single at the moment, if you can believe it... ;)

Edited by Dreakon13

I'd say make a list of the games you want to play most (this includes PS3 and PC games) and go enjoy them instead of wasting precious game time by worrying.

Gaah!  But what about my pointless OCD dream of having as perfect (collection/achievement/trophy-wise) gaming profile as possible?? :D

I must choose one!

Edited by Dreakon13

I say just invest time in whichever one you want to go and play with more.

You can always come back to the other one later.

Whatever you feel like will give you more enjoyment I say delve into it, If you want to PC game for lets say a couple months go for it.

If vice-versa so be it.

We can give you our opinions on the matter but in the end it's your choice not ours.

We won't be playing or investing our time in your Games.

Eithier sounds fun Imo.

Personally I'm a console gamer.

But the way you say you invested into the PC that might be yours.

Again down the road the second choice can always be picked back up.

So take the plunge and have fun.

I feel like what's drawing me more to PC gaming is the obligation after investing what I have into it.  Which I guess is good, as I'm actually quite prone to not being able to "stick with" any one thing, so obligation is motivation. xD

But there's no denying that the Playstation has more going for it for me, gaming-wise.

Edited by Dreakon13

I feel as though I might be stating the obvious here but I think the problem might be that you're looking at things in terms of what you're accomplishing, rather than "am I having fun?"

Of course, most of us here are trophy hunters and struggle with this on the regular.  For me the choice is pretty easy because

- I don't have a high-dollar PC or the desire to put one together, mostly because

- I play mostly weird Japanese stuff that won't ever end up on PC

If I were to put myself in the shoes of the average gamer, I would say that given the choice between playing a game on PS3 and PC, PC would be the go-to choice just about every time (assuming you have a decent PC and/or the money to buy one, of course).  So at that point it's mostly an issue of exclusives.  You seem to be pretty dedicated to your PC, so I guess the question is.. if you absolutely had to choose one or the other, do you feel the current lineup of PS exclusives is worth your time?  Do the benefits of console gaming (couch co-op and whatnot) apply to you enough to outweigh the negatives?  In terms of trophies vs. achievements I think - at its core - there's not really much difference.  Sony has a more rigid system with more defined rules and whatnot for their trophy system whereas with PC it's basically "anything goes", but either way they're just something for people to chase if they enjoy that sort of thing.  Stuff like PS3 jailbreak utilities and Steam Achievement Manager make taking that sort of thing seriously kind of pointless anyway (not that it stops me and others like me from doing so, of course).

I don't see any reason you couldn't keep your PC as your "main" gaming machine and keep your PS3 around for its exclusives whenever you get around to them - it's not like they're going anywhere.  But ultimately deciding what to play at any given time is up to you.

Stuff like PS3 jailbreak utilities and Steam Achievement Manager make taking that sort of thing seriously kind of pointless anyway (not that it stops me and others like me from doing so, of course).

For what it's worth, what other people do has very little bearing on me.  I just really enjoy the idea of completing my games and in this context, the systems in place to track that... as pointless as they may be in the end.  One thing Steam has over the PS3 is that my profile is a complete log of all my games, achievements or not.  If I'm looking at what a friend has to see what we can play, no game is off limits because it's always just a download away.  Whereas I can't really see what games I have (or actually physically own) just by looking at my PSN profile... only those with trophies.  Something dumb and silly, but still something lol.

And I appreciate the real responses guys!  People usually just tell me to shut up. ;)

The PS3 exclusives that I love are so numerous and so awesome, and that's almost encouragment enough to give my PSN profile a little extra love. xD  Compared to the PC where I have a ton of cool games, but the "exclusives" are largely two genre's I can't stand... strategy and MMO.  I even game almost exclusively on gamepad with my PC... so it's really just a big, dopey console in the end... but with lots of cool computer features as well.  Most of my other games look and run great (it's a pretty beefy PC), but could easily be found on my PS3 and PS4 (someday).  Oftentimes in more enjoyable fashion (Borderlands is much more fun splitscreen IMO and Diablo III is much more enjoyable playing with friends locally).  I'm just not a huge fan of "online" multiplayer in general I guess.

Edited by Dreakon13

I have two TVs to be honest. One was too big for me to bring to University, so I bought a smaller one. I finished Uni so now they are near to each other so usually if there is a game playing, I'll have it on one of the TVs and play the other. Makes boosting sessions or grinding super easy. I avoid playing story-heavy parts of games while a hockey game is on though. Too hard to multi-task. This sort of thing is something you might want to consider seeing as you like to play and watch at the same time too :)

Stick with the playstation and play the odd PC game on steam with your buddies. As far as co-op and all that stuff, the console is just so much more appealing to me.

Edited by BeautifulTorment

I have two TVs to be honest. One was too big for me to bring to University, so I bought a smaller one. I finished Uni so now they are near to each other so usually if there is a game playing, I'll have it on one of the TVs and play the other. Makes boosting sessions or grinding super easy. I avoid playing story-heavy parts of games while a hockey game is on though. Too hard to multi-task. This sort of thing is something you might want to consider seeing as you like to play and watch at the same time too :)

Stick with the playstation and play the odd PC game on steam with your buddies. As far as co-op and all that stuff, the console is just so much more appealing to me.

I've tinkered the idea of setting up the PS3 on my PC desk and running it through the same monitor.  Then I get that added television bonus that's so appealing about my PC at the moment. xD

But then what would I do with my lovely big screen in the other room?!

Edited by Dreakon13