Most Underrated Mini Ever?

pogo_loco

Mars: War Logs is easily the best mini I ever bought from PSN.  Quality graphics, voice acting, a plot seen from different perspectives based on your in-game decisions.  It gets terrible reviews because it's compared to similar full-sized games like Mass Effect.  Of course it's going to fall short of those standards -- that's why it's sold as a MINI.  Am I on my own planet?  Why do so few people have this game?  It's depressing that more people own Murasaki Baby...

We all have secret pet rocks.  What other overlooked, underrated gems make you scratch your head?  (After Murasaki Baby, I could sure use some decent recommendations.)

**Update** Ok I'm not the brightest bulb in the pack.  Please ignore the fact that Mars: War Logs isn't technically a mini.  I still think it rocks, and I'd like to hear which games you think are awesome even though they got panned.

Edited by pogo_loco
  • Like 1

Mars: War Logs is not a mini, Carnivores is a Mini, Wizorb is a Mini. The mini prices are between 2.99 and 6.00

The game you mention is a PSN game, like Outland, The unfinished swan, Journey, Flower, Guacamelee.

My brother tried the demo and liked but he's waiting for a drop, it looks nice.

• Like 1

I wasnt aware that Mini's had trophies (00)

Well personally the only mini I liked was Vibes, its a rhythm game. Oddly enough I dont even like rhythm games but this one kept me entertain longer than most games from that genre.

This game isn't a mini.

It was an OK game. The combat was very clunky, and the weapon creation/combat was very barebones. The story and environments were cool. The voice acting was horrendous. IIRC, the part at the start of Chapter 2 when you return to the young kid's childhood home was punishingly difficult on the hardest setting. It was short and a decent game for what it costs. Definitely not great by any stretch.

• Like 2

This game isn't a mini.

It was an OK game. The combat was very clunky, and the weapon creation/combat was very barebones. The story and environments were cool. The voice acting was horrendous. IIRC, the part at the start of Chapter 2 when you return to the young kid's childhood home was punishingly difficult on the hardest setting. It was short and a decent game for what it costs. Definitely not great by any stretch.

I know, i was kinda beign sarcastic. I forget the internet doesnt get along with sarcasm.

By the by, Ive been meaning to ask you, is that link in your Avi?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

For whoever bought this from the EU playstation store... how much does it cost there now?

I tried to know how much it cost but I could find the price tag of it anywhere, only the Steam version price drop that'll be shown when i google it o_o

The EU playstation store is so messed up, it won't show you how much it cost, it only show the stupid (Free) word for the trial version. They wanted you to play the trial and then buy the full game key from inside the trial.. I played the trial a long time ago and I actually like it, but forgot how much it was cost back then.

Edited by yellowwindow7

For whoever bought this from the EU playstation store... how much does it cost there now?

I tried to know how much it cost but I could find the price tag of it anywhere, only the Steam version price drop that'll be shown when i google it o_o

The EU playstation store is so messed up, it won't show you how much it cost, it only show the stupid (Free) word for the trial version. They wanted you to play the trial and then buy the full game key from inside the trial.. I played the trial a long time ago and I actually like it, but forgot how much it was cost back then.

9,95 euros at the moment, don't know about the other currencies.

9,95 euros at the moment, don't know about the other currencies.

thanks a lot  :)   i'm re-downloading the trial right now in case i didn't get an answer in time. 

9,95.... seem too much for Mars War Logs, especially these days, plus judging by the reviews for it, would be awesome if it was at least $8 or $7. 

thanks a lot  :)   i'm re-downloading the trial right now in case i didn't get an answer in time. 

9,95.... seem too much for Mars War Logs, especially these days, plus judging by the reviews for it, would be awesome if it was at least $8 or $7. 

The game was on sale on February and it wasn't a USA Flash sale, so maybe it was on sale in the other regions also.

PS3 Mars: War Logs N/A $2.99 $9.99

A pity you couldn't get it :/

• Like 1

The game was on sale on February and it wasn't a USA Flash sale, so maybe it was on sale in the other regions also.

PS3 Mars: War Logs N/A $2.99 $9.99

A pity you couldn't get it :/

that sucks! :(

Y NO EU???????????

EU PS store is really bad man....

EDIT: the game trial finished downloading, the EU's currently is $13.49!!

now I'm started to appreciate the 9.95 & 9.99 price tags.

Edited by yellowwindow7

• 5 months later...

So I finally got around to playing this and I'd say that I'm at least about 85% of the way through. This is one of those games IMO that isn't terrible but definitely falls short of its potential. It has all the right ingredients to at least be a decent action RPG but they are just poorly executed...especially the combat. I can't tell you how many times I've died due to Roy either getting stuck on the environment or the actual ground! Seriously, I found myself memorizing certain areas within rooms to try to stay away from due to consistently not being able to move once venturing over to them.

While on the subject of the rooms...big/numerous enemies + narrow space + poor camera = the perfect storm. And this storm happens nearly every battle! The game constantly sticks you in these spaces during battles that many times are condensed by either random structures littered throughout the environmental layout or by the sheer size and/or number of enemies on the screen at a given time. To make matters worse, the camera absolutely does not pan out, so many times I find that it's either hard to evade enemies that are chasing me OR die from some off screen attack by said enemy or another off screen enemy that I didn't even know was targeting me. The cherry on top for this is when the camera can't keep up with all my "run & evades" and I end up getting stuck on a piece of previously mentioned environment and being killed yet again due to the game and I not agreeing on which direction I was trying to go in.

Lastly, ALL party members are weak and their friendly A.I. has rocks for brains. The only thing they are good for is temporarily drawing the attention of some enemies from you, giving you less enemies to fight at a given time. I say "temporarily" because most times it is inevitable that the party member will be KOed regardless of which enemy it is or how many are attacking them, if you do not assist them in time (which most times you won't)...yeah, they're that weak. I wish I were exaggerating

With all that said, I still can't say that I dislike the game overall but at times, its brokenness does make me want to just throw in the towel.

Edited by merciful84
  • Like 2