Need help to tone down my OCD towards trophies!

RCN886

Hey mate, excellent topic. Sounds like you've already got some awesome advice too, which is great.

In terms of me personally, I can definitely understand the struggle! I went through a phase late last year where I literally could not move on from a game until I had that platinum/100%; regardless of how grindy or how much 'luck' was required.

However I've now reached the stage where I will only go for the trophies in games that I enjoy a lot and would be happy to spend more time in. Case in point; the recent Steamworld Dig game. I finished the game once and loved it; I also love a challenge and saw the Gold trophy was extremely rare, so I thought why not? I'm glad I did too; I got a lot more enjoyment out of the game than I would have otherwise. Similar with Outlast, although it took me a few goes, the 'Lunatic' trophy for completing the game on Insane difficulty really added to the 'scariness' (and enjoyment, believe it or not!) of the game. Other games with some difficult challenges like Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, Velocity 2X and Mirror's Edge come to mind here.

Though it was difficult, I learnt to give up on platinums for games like Knack (those diamonds may require like 5 playthroughs), Batman: Arkham Origins (no desire to spend like 50 hours in MP that I didn't enjoy) and Demon's Souls (though I enjoyed the game, I really didn't feel like doing the exact same levels another 3 times to grind for those higher level materials to upgrade weapons; I thoroughly enjoyed the game though!).

All the best for the future mate, wishing you all the best! Advice that others have given such as getting some Nintendo games (pure fun without the stress of trophies!), getting some more regular exercise and spending more time with friends and family all sounds good to me. :D

Honestly...you just really need to get your priorities straight.  Like somebody else said...why worry so much about trophy completion % and platinum count ....nobody cares about these things besides YOU.  (I say that as somebody who maintains a 98% completion rate on my PSN account..but it does not stress me out and make my social life suffer)

Anytime you find yourself seriously stressing about completion rate dipping or lack of progress on your gamer account...just remember.  Does anybody else, outside of you, really care about any of that stuff?  

Hope you find a solution, keep your head up

A little late with my reply but still wanted to say my thing about this.

A few weeks ago i was in a similar situation and asked myself some of these questions too.

I almost had the highest completion possible (99,1%) and could even get it higher but i wasnt enjoying collecting trophies anymore and i was even avoidig my ps3 :huh:

When i was on my ps3 i mostly played on PS home just walking around or talking to random ppl.

Solution for me was to buy some new games that i always wanted even if they had a hard trophy list and just play them for fun and dont care about trophies. Just like in the old Nintendo days.

I also realized that the backlog is always gonna keep on growing and I keep getting less and less time to 100% games while the requirement probably are gonna get worse, there is no end, no matter how hard you try to keep up.

It helped that i want to buy a Wii U in the future, especialy when the new Zelda is released so i gotta hurry finishing it all up, no time for all this 100% BS  :P 

Also buying a Wii U is a good idea imo because the Mario games are pure fun, so if you want to enjoy gaming again thats a good place to go.

Creating a new account is a waste in my opinion, as your account is like your gaming carreer with all its ups and downs.

I struggle with the same problem as the OP. Have been for years now and realized I cannot break my trophy addiction. Only thing I can do is tone it down a bit.

I've always played games since a kid and try to get everything in game if possible. This was even before trophies. Now that trophies are here it's even worse for me cause I strive for 100% even thought it affects my personal life in the same ways as the OP.

That being said. The things I do differently now to curve my addiction is play games I like and not because of the trophy list being easy or having a high # of gold trophies. I'm able to enjoy gaming again but still struggle to manage my time invested in games. I usually only play one or two games at a time so I don't tempt myself into buying more games than I can afford or have time to play.

I strongly disagree with anyone above saying to add a game that plat or 100% isn't possible! That's not cool at all if you can avoid doing so!

If you want your profile 100% slowly pick at your backlog and take time doing it. Stop buying games just for trophies cause every game has them now :)

If your backlog is to big and overwhelming, maybe make a new account and play games you like 1 or 2 at a time and try to keep a 100% profile if that's what you are striving for.

Most importantly! Don't ignore or shut out your gf! Pause the damn game and make an effort to acknowledge her or you'll be gaming alone in no time.

Best of luck

Edited by weeztha

I struggle with the same problem as the OP. Have been for years now and realized I cannot break my trophy addiction. Only thing I can do is tone it down a bit.

I've always played games since a kid and try to get everything in game if possible. This was even before trophies. Now that trophies are here it's even worse for me cause I strive for 100% even thought it affects my personal life in the same ways as the OP.

That being said. The things I do differently now to curve my addiction is play games I like and not because of the trophy list being easy or having a high # of gold trophies. I'm able to enjoy gaming again but still struggle to manage my time invested in games. I usually only play one or two games at a time so I don't tempt myself into buying more games than I can afford or have time to play.

I strongly disagree with anyone above saying to add a game that plat or 100% isn't possible! That's not cool at all if you can avoid doing so!

If you want your profile 100% slowly pick at your backlog and take time doing it. Stop buying games just for trophies cause every game has them now :)

If your backlog is to big and overwhelming, maybe make a new account and play games you like 1 or 2 at a time and try to keep a 100% profile if that's what you are striving for.

Most importantly! Don't ignore or shut out your gf! Pause the damn game and make an effort to acknowledge her or you'll be gaming alone in no time.

Best of luck

Hey mate, excellent topic. Sounds like you've already got some awesome advice too, which is great.

In terms of me personally, I can definitely understand the struggle! I went through a phase late last year where I literally could not move on from a game until I had that platinum/100%; regardless of how grindy or how much 'luck' was required.

However I've now reached the stage where I will only go for the trophies in games that I enjoy a lot and would be happy to spend more time in. Case in point; the recent Steamworld Dig game. I finished the game once and loved it; I also love a challenge and saw the Gold trophy was extremely rare, so I thought why not? I'm glad I did too; I got a lot more enjoyment out of the game than I would have otherwise. Similar with Outlast, although it took me a few goes, the 'Lunatic' trophy for completing the game on Insane difficulty really added to the 'scariness' (and enjoyment, believe it or not!) of the game. Other games with some difficult challenges like Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, Velocity 2X and Mirror's Edge come to mind here.

Though it was difficult, I learnt to give up on platinums for games like Knack (those diamonds may require like 5 playthroughs), Batman: Arkham Origins (no desire to spend like 50 hours in MP that I didn't enjoy) and Demon's Souls (though I enjoyed the game, I really didn't feel like doing the exact same levels another 3 times to grind for those higher level materials to upgrade weapons; I thoroughly enjoyed the game though!).

All the best for the future mate, wishing you all the best! Advice that others have given such as getting some Nintendo games (pure fun without the stress of trophies!), getting some more regular exercise and spending more time with friends and family all sounds good to me. :D

Honestly...you just really need to get your priorities straight.  Like somebody else said...why worry so much about trophy completion % and platinum count ....nobody cares about these things besides YOU.  (I say that as somebody who maintains a 98% completion rate on my PSN account..but it does not stress me out and make my social life suffer)

Anytime you find yourself seriously stressing about completion rate dipping or lack of progress on your gamer account...just remember.  Does anybody else, outside of you, really care about any of that stuff?  

Hope you find a solution, keep your head up

A little late with my reply but still wanted to say my thing about this.

A few weeks ago i was in a similar situation and asked myself some of these questions too.

I almost had the highest completion possible (99,1%) and could even get it higher but i wasnt enjoying collecting trophies anymore and i was even avoidig my ps3 :huh:

When i was on my ps3 i mostly played on PS home just walking around or talking to random ppl.

Solution for me was to buy some new games that i always wanted even if they had a hard trophy list and just play them for fun and dont care about trophies. Just like in the old Nintendo days.

I also realized that the backlog is always gonna keep on growing and I keep getting less and less time to 100% games while the requirement probably are gonna get worse, there is no end, no matter how hard you try to keep up.

It helped that i want to buy a Wii U in the future, especialy when the new Zelda is released so i gotta hurry finishing it all up, no time for all this 100% BS  :P

Also buying a Wii U is a good idea imo because the Mario games are pure fun, so if you want to enjoy gaming again thats a good place to go.

Creating a new account is a waste in my opinion, as your account is like your gaming carreer with all its ups and downs.

Thank you all again :) 

Yeah that's my main dilemma at this stage, whether to create a new account or keep my current one. It should not be a hard decision, but I'm making it it seems.

And no, even though I have this "problem", I've never or will never shut out my fiancée. I'm not THAT crazy :P