Need help to tone down my OCD towards trophies!

RCN886

Alternate account, inform yourself before saying things like that.

They didn't mention it in their post, and they haven't said what their main account is, so I have a hard time believing it's an alt. Especially since he's asking if he should make an alt account. Why ask if he already did?

Can't thank you enough for your words mate. Very much appreciate it. Yeah the Wii U option might not be the best. didn't really think of that until you brought that up :)

I hope there is a way to turn off trophy notifications. 

You're welcome. As mentioned everything any of us suggest are just options and it's up to you to decide which is most likely to work for you, but at least you've made the first big step of realising and admitting the problem and choosing to try and change.

Just got home and checked the PS3 and to disable trophies you go to: settings > system settings > trophy notifications > Do not display. Didn't check to see if it works as I don't have any games with easy trophies waiting. I imagine the other consoles have similar ability, but not sure as I don't own them. What ever you decide to do best of luck with it.

I'm no therapist (just married to one) but I'm about 95% positive that recognizing and admitting that you have a problem is a good start. I guess you have to ask yourself a few questions:

• What was initially my reason for gaming?
  • Is that reason the same today?
  • If not, why?
  • How does earning achievements and trophies make me feel?
  • What is the difference (if any) between the way they make me feel and gaming in itself makes me feel?
  • Is there some other area in life that I feel un or underachieved in and am trying make up for that with gaming achievements?
  • What is it that I plan to accomplish by 100%ing every game that I have?
  • Will it ever stop?
  • Can I continue to play video games one day without worrying about 100%ing each game that I play?

I'm definitely going to use this later on many thanks!

I think we should be careful throwing around words like "addiction" on this thread. I may have been guilty of using it casually myself, but addiction has a specific meaning and a medical context. I don't think - but am happy to be proven wrong - that there has been a medical case or study showing that gaming or, more specifically trophies, can be addictive in that sense.

"Addiction" usually relates to substances. It's not like OP is injecting trophies up his arm.

I prefer the term gaming "compulsion" as it doesn't carry the baggage or the unnecessary medical connotation of "addiction". Behaviours, such as trophy farming, can become compulsive, but not addictive.

Which all reminds me, OP may find these videos helpful, not for any solutions but to put his problem in context and reassurance that he is not alone:

Wow, thank you. Was about to hop on Youtube so I'll give these vids a watch and get back to you!

They didn't mention it in their post, and they haven't said what their main account is, so I have a hard time believing it's an alt. Especially since he's asking if he should make an alt account. Why ask if he already did?

It's not my main account. I mentioned that on the first page to a reply to somebody. This is actually a relatives PSN ID. I asked if I could use their's to sign up as I didn't want to disclose mine at this time.

You're welcome. As mentioned everything any of us suggest are just options and it's up to you to decide which is most likely to work for you, but at least you've made the first big step of realising and admitting the problem and choosing to try and change.

Just got home and checked the PS3 and to disable trophies you go to: settings > system settings > trophy notifications > Do not display. Didn't check to see if it works as I don't have any games with easy trophies waiting. I imagine the other consoles have similar ability, but not sure as I don't own them. What ever you decide to do best of luck with it.

Sweet. I'm also on my PS3 now so I'll go ahead and check out the option!

My suggestion is find a multiplayer game like CoD, BF, or GTA and just play that. It will take up loads of time and playing with friends that have mics will make time fly! I used to have trouble trophy hunting because I had so much fun in those games' multiplayers. Good luck my friend!

• Like 1

I know wat you'r going trough. I made around 7 or 8 accounts sinds 2008, Maybe even more than that. Becouse I wanten to have à perfect 100% list in my PSN profile. REDBEARDHERO is my latest, I just could not stand the 0%, 13%, 67% rate I had on my profile. I was focused on grinding for trophies but did not enjoy the games. My latest platinum was for the last of us, spend over 40 hours doing MP while I'm not à MP player. Ohh no wait it was for GTA5, yeah thats right, i did spend à lot of hours searching for stuff so i could get à digital platinum trophie. I just turned off the trophie notifications and blocked my trophies from viewing. Now I even play Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare and enjoy the game so much! I would not be playing this game of I didn't stop trophie hunting. I say do the same thing! Ad me on PSN and start playing games for FUN!!!! P.S sorry for my english

Hey there. I have a friend on PSN with OCD and I know how this feels. Don't play the games just for trophies, that ruins the experience of enjoying amazing games. Start games without looking at their trophies prior buying them/starting to play them. I'm not telling you to stop trophy hunting. Just don't make it work. Try your best with the trophies, you're not expected to get 100% in every game. Anyway, good luck with this. :)

Edited by HolyFad

How about instead of playing games find another hobby?

Reading or puzzling or going out with friends or something of the sorts?

I was never in such a bad situation as you were and think I control my addiction pretty well and maybe that's because I also spend a fair share of time reading books and making puzzles, it helps me relax and I find it very entertaining.

I think most trophy hunters go through "phases": First you are not so hooked, then kinda hooked, then totally crazy/hooked (buying easy games and all that), that's when you finally realise you are going too far and need to find a more reasonable pace, where you settle.

Myself, after doing crazy stuff such as plat Hannah Montana, 100% Aabs Animals x2 all that for the easy trophies, etc, I have decided to play only what I really enjoy and then 100%/plat it if I can. Throwing some easy games in the mix keeps things interesting for the trophy count growth, so do some easy games that come with PS Plus, for example.

Just find a balance!

Good luck!

• Like 1

I feel your pain.  I have to get every trophy.  My OCD won't allow anything less than one hundred percent on my account.  Personally, my advice to you would be to move forward in bettering your self.  The one thing that keeps my trophy hunting addiction from spiraling out of control is the fact that I have a full time job and am about to become a father for the first time.  If you had a forty hour a week job there would be little time for gaming in the first place.

Just get all the trophies. Then you wont have to worry about it anymore.... ;)

But seriously, it is fun to try and increase your completion ratio, but my advice would actually be to put a few games on your list that are unobtainably plats, or at least so prohibitivly difficult that you know you wont finish them.

That way the edge will be take off the 100% lust, and you can just enjoy the ups and downs of your profile - I like to go for 100%s, but I know I cant reach a erfect profile, as there are umobtainable games on my profile (some due to servers, some due to grinds im unwilling to do) and so I never get the OCD about trying for a perfect profile.

I agree with this.  I use to be pretty bad about trophies, but what helped was having an unobtainable trophy on my list.  Gotham Imposters sits at 15% and is no longer accessible because the serves shut down.  I can never obtain 100% completion now. So it doesn't bother me to have other "hard" games on my list now.

If you have an addictive personality then changing accounts won't solve the problems.  Deleting your account won't solve it either.  You'll just fall back into old habits.  You need to start lowering your percentage by adding a few games like Megaman or Luftrausers.  Take the pressure off of yourself by hurting your completion percentage.  

Since you only play games to get trophies, try to stay away from gaming for a while, just like you didn't play anything after the Nintendo 64.

In about a year you will find new activities to do, new hobbies, and when you come back, you can just play games you like.

That's the best alternative for you, because you are not only addicted to trophies, but to games as well.

• Like 1

I thought I was bad! I understand fully how the hunt for Trophies can spoil the gaming experience and indeed affect life. I've spent alot of time grinding for Trophies and not enjoying it. Given that I get only a small amount of game time this has been very frustrating at times.

I think I would actually be just like you if time and family allowed. My wife is not supportive. She hates it when I go full gamer and ignore the world around me. Don't blame her.

Luckily another thing that holds me back from full on Trophy madness is the fact I have multiple games on my account from my early PS4 days where I downloaded every free game there was and added it to my collection before I even knew what Trophies were. At least a 3rd of my collection will never get played or finished.

As posted earlier a new account would let you try new games without the worry for ruining completion. More fun to enjoy.

Spend more time with your Fiancee. I try spending time with my wife but she's quite annoying! Lol.

I hope things pick up for you mate. It's fun to collect Trophies but it's a big world out there. Must be something else out there for us!

Keep collecting trophies on your old loaded up games until you get bored, then find a game you enjoy and play for fun, then when youre in the mood go back to the ones you wish you had never loaded up... and learn from those mistakes to not load up shitty games again.

Thats my plan anyway, and my completion rate is slowly increasing and im enjoying gaming because im not constantly playing crap games just for trophies.

Many thanks for the advice everybody. Really means alot!

I was going to start a new PSN account, but after reading everybodies responses I'm now trying to decide if I should just continue on my current account and take into effect all the advice I've gotten (like turning off trophy notifications, playing hard games, etc.)

What do you guys think?

Edited by RCN886

Many thanks for the advice everybody. Really means alot!

I was going to start a new PSN account, but after reading everybodies responses I'm now trying to decide if I should just continue on my current account and take into effect all the advice I've gotten (like turning off trophy notifications, playing hard games, etc.)

What do you guys think?

Old habits die hard. Keep your completionist account and use an alt for some "I don't give a shit about trophies" relief. Go back and forth between the two, depending on your mood.

Not to make this about me, but I personally couldn't give a turkey about trophies these days.  My OCD kicks in when I have 10 physical copies of games, 20 purchased digital copies of games scattered across three different PSN accounts and two different consoles.   I don't even own a large chunk of the games on this profile anymore.  Erg!  It's all my fault too... not sure why I ended up with so many alt accounts, and traded in/sold off a handful of my unfinished games.  :P

Almost makes me want to focus more on my Steam account.  It may be all digital, with no fancy cases or boxes or manuals, none of my precious Uncharted games, and I may lose everything when Valve inevitably shuts the factory down... but at least it's all in one place, and I still have Tomb Raider!  Which is practically Uncharted!  Right?  Right?!?

Edited by Dreakon13

Not to make this about me, but I personally couldn't give a turkey about trophies these days.  My OCD kicks in when I have 10 physical copies of games, 20 purchased digital copies of games scattered across three different PSN accounts and two different consoles.   I don't even own a large chunk of the games on this profile anymore.  Erg!  It's all my fault too... not sure why I ended up with so many alt accounts, and traded in/sold off a handful of my unfinished games.  :P

Almost makes me want to focus more on my Steam account.  It may be all digital, with no fancy cases or boxes or manuals, none of my precious Uncharted games, and I may lose everything when Valve inevitably shuts the factory down... but at least it's all in one place, and I still have Tomb Raider!  Which is practically Uncharted!  Right?  Right?!?

I'm also guilty of having a few accounts with games scattered between accounts. Another reason why I need to change lol.