UEFA Chamions League 2011/12

MassZERO

What, no Champions League discussion!? That's rather depressing. :(

I just watched the Chelsea vs. Napoli match and it was so incredibly exciting, I just had to make a thread. Who else is watching the Champions League? And what team are you rooting for?

I'm rooting for Chelsea, so I'm happy they just won. I think the old men on the team (Cole, Terry, Lampard) deserve to at least have won the Champions League, once. That, and the failed prodigy Fernando Torres is defintiely my favorite football player.

The league just entered the quarter-finals stage and the teams still standing are:

APOEL

Barcelona

Bayern Munich

Benfica

Chelsea

Marseille

Milan

Real Madrid

The schedule for the upcoming matches is as follows:

Quarter-finals (27/28 March & 3/4 April)

Semi-finals (26/27 April & 3/4 May)

Final (19 May, Fußball Arena München, 20.45CET)

Unseeded draws will decide who faces who.

Go, go, go~!

• Like 1

Haven't really been watching the tournament this year, but I have been keeping up with the scores. I want AC Milan to win, they have always been my favourite foreign team, they have a brilliant line-up and they play some really entertaining football.

Chelsea have been piss poor this season, it will take a miracle to even get them to the final, yet alone win it. They have had plenty of chances over the past 7 years, they just never capitalized on them, it's their own fault.

Tottenham aren't in it this year so i've not been watching. Next year though, hopefully B)

Probably, I dont't see them losing their 3rd spot in the league. I think they'll be missing the likes of Bale and Modric next year, though.

Barcelona are in all likelihood going to win it again this year; the other others teams have been far too weak for the most part.

Probably, I dont't see them losing their 3rd spot in the league. I think they'll be missing the likes of Bale and Modric next year, though.

If they attain a Champions League place, then they have every chance of holding on to their best players. However, if they slip down the table and fall short of a Champions League spot, then they'll be very vulnerable to offers for Bale, Modric, etc.

Barcelona are in all likelihood going to win it again this year; the other others teams have been far too weak for the most part.

I actually don't think so. Real Madrid have been the better team all year, I think they have a big chance this year.

I would be really funny though if someone like Milan won, just to teach both Barcelona and Real Madrid a lesson :D

I don't know, Arsenal have been on a good run recently :angry: . Still don't see Spurs finishing worse than 4th though (hopefully). Bale would be a big loss, but I was a little surprised Modric stayed this year so I kinda expect him to leave this summer regardless. My biggest concern is Harry leaving though :unsure:

I actually don't think so. Real Madrid have been the better team all year, I think they have a big chance this year.

I would be really funny though if someone like Milan won, just to teach both Barcelona and Real Madrid a lesson :D

Yeah but Madrid usually choke when they're against Barcelona. Madrid have a great chance, don't get me wrong, but are they able to go through Barcelona in order to win it?

Yeah but Madrid usually choke when they're against Barcelona. Madrid have a great chance, don't get me wrong, but are they able to go through Barcelona in order to win it?

Perhaps someone else will defeat Barca. 2 years ago Inter beat them, I can see Milan or Bayern doing the same. Oh, how I hope for that to happen.

Perhaps someone else will defeat Barca. 2 years ago Inter beat them, I can see Milan or Bayern doing the same. Oh, how I hope for that to happen.

It's not impossible though. If Kevin Prince-Boateng is restored and if Zlatan plays at his best then Milan is a force to be reckoned with.

Also, if Pato was not injured ALL THE TIME then perhaps he could contribute a bit too :P

Barcelona are just in a great cycle at the moment, their only questionable aspect is their defense; it's far from the best in the world, but they don't need to be because of the players ahead of them. For the next two to three years they'll be the team to beat, as much as it pains me to say.

• 2 weeks later...

Barcelona are just in a great cycle at the moment, their only questionable aspect is their defense; it's far from the best in the world, but they don't need to be because of the players ahead of them. For the next two to three years they'll be the team to beat, as much as it pains me to say.

Actually, they have a very solid defense (except for their keeper). The thing about them is how they try to play like the Netherlands since the days of Cruyff, which is to use the offside for their advantage (which can turn into a goal if they fuck up).

I believe Milan can take down Barcelona, specially since Ibrahimovich will actually play now. Thing with Milan is that they don't play at a constant level and even Juventus was able to score a draw against them. Thankfully, they are an Italian team, and they are Milan, so one should always be careful, since the unexpected can happen, and I am sure Barcelona will actually suffer with them.

I also can't wait for the semis, which will surely have Bayern and Madrid playing against each other. Bayern is very fucking good, and if someone who isn't Madrid or Milan can beat Barcelona, it's them.

Mainly in regard to the italic section, I'm always curious as to what people dislike about Barca. Most of the talent is homegrown so you can't class them in the same league as Chelsea/ManCity/Real, although they do tend to splash the cash that they've earned (The whole Ibrahimovich thing). They play fantastic football, so you can't hate them for running their luck etc. And the football they play so so attractive it's unreal.

Meh, for me they tick all of the boxes, more power to them I say, without being dis-honest to my beloved liverpool, obviously

Mainly in regard to the italic section, I'm always curious as to what people dislike about Barca. Most of the talent is homegrown so you can't class them in the same league as Chelsea/ManCity/Real, although they do tend to splash the cash that they've earned (The whole Ibrahimovich thing). They play fantastic football, so you can't hate them for running their luck etc. And the football they play so so attractive it's unreal.

Meh, for me they tick all of the boxes, more power to them I say, without being dis-honest to my beloved liverpool, obviously

I wouldn't dare put Chelsea and Manchester City on the same place as Real, though. Real Madrid is an institution that does produce players (their best scorer ever, the all-time leading scorer in the European Cup and second highest goalscorer for Spain was homegrown remember?) and that has lasted not 2 years nor 10, but more than 6 decades being one of the best teams in their league and in the world, thing Manchester City and Chelsea haven't.

My issue with Barcelona is they are attributed things they don't deserve. Best team ever? They've been helped by FIFA more than once (look at the Chelsea semi final in 2009, plus many league and normal Champions matches) and have yet to win a Champions League with more than 3~ good teams (thing one could claim back in 2004~). They created tiki taka? Bullshit, they took it from the Spain national team, and afterwards, dedicated themselves to buying whoever they could that was part of said national team in order to replicate it's play style even better.

Yes, homegrown, yes, great style, yes, Iniesta is the best player in the world and morons keep saying it is Messi, but not all of it is well-deserved, and while Mourinho is an ass, he is right when he complains about the refs.

Oh, and they do spend a shitload of cash lol. Why do you think they have over $300 million in debt? They keep signing and signing and signing.

I wouldn't dare put Chelsea and Manchester City on the same place as Real, though. Real Madrid is an institution that does produce players (their best scorer ever, the all-time leading scorer in the European Cup and second highest goalscorer for Spain was homegrown remember?) and that has lasted not 2 years nor 10, but more than 6 decades being one of the best teams in their league and in the world, thing Manchester City and Chelsea haven't.

My issue with Barcelona is they are attributed things they don't deserve. Best team ever? They've been helped by FIFA more than once (look at the Chelsea semi final in 2009, plus many league and normal Champions matches) and have yet to win a Champions League with more than 3~ good teams (thing one could claim back in 2004~). They created tiki taka? Bullshit, they took it from the Spain national team, and afterwards, dedicated themselves to buying whoever they could that was part of said national team in order to replicate it's play style even better.

Yes, homegrown, yes, great style, yes, Iniesta is the best player in the world and morons keep saying it is Messi, but not all of it is well-deserved, and while Mourinho is an ass, he is right when he complains about the refs.

Oh, and they do spend a shitload of cash lol. Why do you think they have over $300 million in debt? They keep signing and signing and signing.

^ So quoted for truth. Tiki taka was somewhat "created" by Cruyff, though. D: God I hate Cruyff, right now. (I'm from Amsterdam, AFC Ajax fan, and the management is making a fool of themselves, including Cruyff.)

Anyway, what do you guys think about tonight's matches? Real should be a sure win, Chelsea I'm not so certain. Benfica has proven to be a formidable opponent, this year. Fingers crossed for Chelsea.

^ So quoted for truth. Tiki taka was somewhat "created" by Cruyff, though. D: God I hate Cruyff, right now. (I'm from Amsterdam, AFC Ajax fan, and the management is making a fool of themselves, including Cruyff.)

Anyway, what do you guys think about tonight's matches? Real should be a sure win, Chelsea I'm not so certain. Benfica has proven to be a formidable opponent, this year. Fingers crossed for Chelsea.

Cruyff invented total football. Tiki taka is a variation (not the same, since there's no rotation among the players, among other little things) created by Aragones after the 2006 World Cup.

Real's result is well-deserved, but boy, does APOEL deserve a lot of respect. Great tactics which were very well executed (except for the counter-attack ones). They lasted more than eveyrone thought they would. I'm also glad Kaká scored :yay:.

Couldn't watch the Chelsea - Benfica match, though. I hope it was good, and I'm glad Torres had an assist.

Cruyff invented total football. Tiki taka is a variation (not the same, since there's no rotation among the players, among other little things) created by Aragones after the 2006 World Cup.

Real's result is well-deserved, but boy, does APOEL deserve a lot of respect. Great tactics which were very well executed (except for the counter-attack ones). They lasted more than eveyrone thought they would. I'm also glad Kaká scored :yay:.

Couldn't watch the Chelsea - Benfica match, though. I hope it was good, and I'm glad Torres had an assist.

You missed nothing, the match was horrible. Litterally the only good players were Luiz and Torres. True, it's good he got an assist, but he basically got a goal "stolen" from him, due to the fact that Kalou wasn't where he should have been.

Well, Barcelona is most likely going to suffer next week. A single goal in favor of Milan, and they'll need to score two, and since they'll most likely get more offensive, the errors in the defense will increase and Milan will most likely take advantage of this to score again. Here's hoping we have a Barcelona-free semi-final this year.

You missed nothing, the match was horrible. Litterally the only good players were Luiz and Torres. True, it's good he got an assist, but he basically got a goal "stolen" from him, due to the fact that Kalou wasn't where he should have been.

That sucks.

Well, Barcelona is most likely going to suffer next week. A single goal in favor of Milan, and they'll need to score two, and since they'll most likely get more offensive, the errors in the defense will increase and Milan will most likely take advantage of this to score again. Here's hoping we have a Barcelona-free semi-final this year.

orly? :awesome:

Barca Chelsea should be good to watch, Benfica were hard done by in my eyes, deserved to go through after they were the better side with only 10 men, I thought they could've grabbed it in the last minute. Well finished by my man meireles though!

orly? :awesome:

Barca Chelsea should be good to watch, Benfica were hard done by in my eyes, deserved to go through after they were the better side with only 10 men, I thought they could've grabbed it in the last minute. Well finished by my man meireles though!

Most likely =/= Will, and in the end, they didn't. Who would've counted with the refs not marking some fouls during the match at the Camp Nou :rolleyes: .

Yes it should, specially if Barcelona blatantly steals their classification. Again.

Actually, Chelsea played better, but after the goal they decided to pull back inmensly for some bizarre reason, and Benfica proved they weren't good enough because they couldn't score more than once (even though they pratically lived there) and because of that humongous error from that defense that finished in a Meireles goal.

The Bayern - Real match will be a joy to watch, and if we're lucky, there'll be either a Spanish-free final, or a culé-free one, hopefully the latter.

Most likely =/= Will, and in the end, they didn't. Who would've counted with the refs not marking some fouls during the match at the Camp Nou :rolleyes: .

Yes it should, specially if Barcelona blatantly steals their classification. Again.

Actually, Chelsea played better, but after the goal they decided to pull back inmensly for some bizarre reason, and Benfica proved they weren't good enough because they couldn't score more than once (even though they pratically lived there) and because of that humongous error from that defense that finished in a Meireles goal.

The Bayern - Real match will be a joy to watch, and if we're lucky, there'll be either a Spanish-free final, or a culé-free one, hopefully the latter.

Either way it's four teams who's football I quite enjoy to watch so I'm happy about that

I felt like Benfica played the ball around well, just missed that lethal finishing touch, but with Cardozo not exactly finishing well last night they were just missing that extra something. Defensively I never really expected them to be performing too well against Chelsea really

Either way it's four teams who's football I quite enjoy to watch so I'm happy about that

I felt like Benfica played the ball around well, just missed that lethal finishing touch, but with Cardozo not exactly finishing well last night they were just missing that extra something. Defensively I never really expected them to be performing too well against Chelsea really

I don't really enjoy Chelsea's football, but the other 3 do play well with the ball.

What's the use of moving the ball around well if you can't score, though? In the end, even Chelsea's broken offense was enough to pull of a victory. I wonder how they'll fare against Farza no that they no longer have the speed and strenght they did back in '09.