Earned Trophies should be added as an available Avatar

markcavan

There may have been a topic on this before but cannot seem to find it now but I've always wondered why PSN have never added the option that a trophy you have earned could be your avatar.

I do understand (and kinda support) not being able to add custom avatars but it seems obvious and a good thing to let you use a trophy you have won as a avatar if you wish.

Maybe someone would start a campaign :-) 

Yeah I hear you. Xbox has something like this. You get the achievements and unlock clothing items for your avatar related to that game.

It's possibly for a few reasons. 

1. They wouldn't make as much money selling avatars.
  2. Avatar lists would be ridiculously cluttered.
  3. The avatar system was built before trophies existed, and it probably would be a pain to code this kind of feature in.
  4. It's possible that MS has unlocking avatars through achievements patented, and Sony isn't legally allowed to have any kind of feature.

All in all, I guess it would be neat, but I'd never use a trophy as my avatar.

• Like 2

Yeah, understand the economics of it but some excellent trophies out there that would be fantastic avatars (like the one Masamune_316 mentioned).  Maybe a 50c charge to use a trophy you have earned as an avatar.  Also take the point on being cluttered but some easy filters could sort that out I feel.

Would be nice but do agree it will likely not happen :-(

Echoing everyone, I say, no way, because they would lost a means to rip you off. I have a friend who paid 2 or 3 bucks for a stupid avatar once, think of how many other idiots would spend a bunch on them, they can't just give them up. From a user's side though, most of their avatars are FUCKING GOD AWFUL "I pwn newbs every day" "99 problems but my *clearly a Super Nintendo controller in place of the word game* ain't one" and so on, they are LITERALLY the worst, and since there's no Duke Nukem avatar I would LOVE being able to put one of his trophy pictures as an avatar, hell I've been this close to buying their crudely drawn nuke avatar for some time now.

Maybe a 50c charge to use a trophy you have earned as an avatar. 

Don't EVER give them an excuse to charge for something, if they can they will, people wanted themes on their PS3, they got them, and they got a price tag with them too.

Sonic unleashed platinum trophy as an avatar would be amazing!!!!!!!! I contacted Sega EU to see if we could get unleashed avatars on the EU/UK store but as usual i get no response. 

SEGA don't need to answer you they are rolling in that Sonic Boom money  ;)

• Like 1

What they could do is add downloadable avatars in-game depending on what trophy you got, similar to what already happens in FFXIII and FFXIII-2, you get free themes for unlocking trophies. (7 themes in XIII, 4 in XIII-2)

But i'm pretty sure this is not up to Sony or someone who's "in charge" of PSN, it's more about the developers, you don't see that many games giving free PS3 themes... actually, as far as i know FFXIII and XIII-2 are the only games that give free themes for unlocking trophies.

2. Avatar lists would be ridiculously cluttered.

You have the option to not download an avatar after you buy it from the PS Store, the same thing could be applied here so this is not an issue.

What they could do is add downloadable avatars in-game depending on what trophy you got, similar to what already happens in FFXIII and FFXIII-2, you get free themes for unlocking trophies. (7 themes in XIII, 4 in XIII-2)

But i'm pretty sure this is not up to Sony or someone who's "in charge" of PSN, it's more about the developers, you don't see that many games giving free PS3 themes... actually, as far as i know FFXIII and XIII-2 are the only games that give free themes for unlocking trophies.

You have the option to not download an avatar after you buy it from the PS Store, the same thing could be applied here so this is not an issue.

It's not exactly the same thing. Making it optional would make it an even bigger pain to implement. Because then every single game would have to add in the ability to download each individual trophy picture in the game, or Sony would have to give you the option to look through all of your unlocked trophies and manually download them. In which case. Not to mention that having the ability to make trophies your avatar, and having thousands of trophies, will likely lead to excessive downloading of avatars, cluttering up the list. So, it would still be an issue.

• 2 months later...