Should I play a fighting game

Tomoko Kuroki

The last fighting game I played serious was Darkstalkers( played on friends ps3 mainly, played about 200 games online)

I was playing DoA5 and realised I love this game, haven't played DoA since ps1.

Thing is it takes awhile to get good at a fighting game, and I find the online seems to always die so fast in every game, street fighter was the only one that had a good player base and even then, at some point it was always the same players. The other problem is the latency, everyone seems to lag, and if you put 5 bars requirement, you barely get any players.

I just want to know if this is still the case with most fighting games ? I remember playing tekken 6 years ago and the online died out so fast and it was FULL of lag. Darkstalkers seemed to have alot of people but I wasn't really playing ps3 at the time.

Just trying to figure out if it's worth putting the time to learn a fighting game again

Try Skullgirls: Encore it has probably the best tutorials to get you around the ropes, and can be Simple & in deep(when it comes to some advance techs); and from what I remember "had a decent online experience"(I don't think i got Lag :hmm:).

BlazBlue & Guilty Gear are also good fast pace Fighting games, that @ least aren't soo UMvC3 rapeable(unless the player is holy shit! good, and knows how to infinite combo you).

Another game that just released today, which I also highly recommend is Under Night In-Birth Exe: Late(yes! I know everyone's tired of me pushing this game this week)...it's got good decent mechanics for a 2D fighter & a uniquely interesting "Grind Grid" system.

Edited by DarknessKey92

If someone was trying to lure me out, you got me B)

Ultra Street Fighter IV and Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 are the main competitive fighting games featured at Evo (Evolution Championship Series). These are the fighting games you would want to play if you wanted to play competitively (or maybe start a career).

But if you just wanted to play online casually, any fighting game will do such as Dead or Alive 5 as you mentioned because you can’t take online matches seriously as there will always be lag. That’s why at tournaments the games have to be played offline. 

So it just depends on whether you wanted to play competitively offline competing at tournaments, or just online casually.

Nothing wrong with playing something new. I'm trying to get into them myself. I'm still a noob at them, but the two above me have made some good suggestions.

Just remember that when you feel like "I'm getting good at this!" and try to play online, You'll get spanked like a child... Nonetheless, I do have great respect for anyone who can play them competitively. They make it looks so easy, but it's damn hard to learn the ropes. At least that's what I've learned from my experience.

Edited by Blue Flare

Get DoA5 LR if you want to play people online and actually get good, you'll make yourself worse at the game if you play DoA5 first as there have been loads of balance changes and tweaks to game mechanics you will have to unlearn things before you can even learn how to play.

Always stick with Street Fighter if you're serious about getting into fighting games, that community always thrives.

• Like 1

I am still highly addicted to injustice on the ps4. As for other fighting games I'm usually good. I think injustice just works for me since I have been into DC since I was about 5. There is no greater feeling than smashing superman with doomsday or batman with joker. (I love villains) Now the online can lag but if you set it to a minimum you should be fine. Plus if you plat injustice, that's one hell of an ultra rare plat to add to anyone's collection.

Well, DoA 5 was really nice, and i had no problems at all in online, and I did the 100 online fights.

But I came to the conclusion that I'll forever suck at fighting games. It's just something I can't get good at, which is weird because I'm good at alot of things, im extremely good at shooters ( always 3.5kd average ), moba's, piano, did martial arts for 14 years, 9 years in that I did mma and alot of competitions, and much more, though this isn't an auto biography -.-

Point is I'm pretty dedicated and good at learning things..

But I just can't seem to improve at fighting games, I just don't know how to improve and stuff, I either stomp people ( im only an E player ) or I get combo'd from full hp to 0.

But I just can't seem to improve at fighting games, I just don't know how to improve and stuff, I either stomp people ( im only an E player ) or I get combo'd from full hp to 0.

You just need time and practice, that's the only way to get better a fighting games. That's what the people who can combo you from 100% to 0 do. Sure they may also read the frame data and they could be really good at yomi, but most of it is just practice.

Really, it just comes down to if you want to take the time to learn more about the mid to high level fighting game stuff. 

On the plus side, once you learn that stuff you can more or less take it into any fighting game.

On the negative side, it can take months to get that stuff down.

If you like playing fighting games I say go for it. 

The beauty of fighters is there are so many different kinds of them that you're bound to find a series you enjoy. Simple dabble in whatever looks interesting to you and see which one you feel like keeping up with. As mentioned above, Street Fighter will probably have the strongest community out of them all but I'd still suggest trying out a few others if you can.