"Hideo Kojima Confirms Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain Release For September"

It makes sense from an aspect of time progression.

Day-Month-Year

Why the US does it any other way is anyones guess.

I guess those Neanderthals just want to be different. Weird temperature system, weird date layout, words (Crisps = Chips? Blasphemy).

f9abb9a114f2782cd2b8f40fa0cddfa70eb154cd

• Like 2

Day-Month-Year

Truly though.. what comes first? You have the month, which is represented by the seasonal phase of the year, that is based off the position of the earth itself.. how does the day (numeral figure) represent anything without the month first? It makes no sense to me, logically or personally, to put the day before the month. Fortunately, I don't care either way!

Still though, there has to be a month first, for the day within the month to even be relative. Most relative should always be first, and in this case we are both wrong. The year should come first, followed by the month, then the day.. like in China and Japan, which makes Kojima's 1984 a well played coincidence.

Day-Month-Year

The Month-Day-Year format has never made any sense to me. When it comes to reading dates naturally, Day-Month-Year is by far the most natural. When it comes to sorting in computers we usually just use a number, but if we have to deal with actual dates, Year-Month-Day is the easiest to sort etc with. It also makes a lot of sense if you want to sort something, start with the biggest, then go smaller. What does not make sense in any way is start with the month, then day then year. WTF?! But that's what NA does. We don't do that where I come, and I always find it annoying when I come past dates like that. Same goes for inches, pounds, feet, whatever... I use the metric system. It works well and is easy to deal with.

Excuse my little rant!

Truly though.. what comes first? You have the month, which is represented by the seasonal phase of the year, that is based off the position of the earth itself.. how does the day (numeral figure) represent anything without the month first? It makes no sense to me, logically or personally, to put the day before the month. Fortunately, I don't care either way!

What comes first, the seasonal phase of the year??? What you on about. lol :P

If you think about the big picture, you'd start with the year, then go smaller, not start with the middle number. :S Either go from largest to smallest, or smallest to largest. Smallest to largest is good because it communicates the most important information first. Most likely the date is in the same month, and then you can see if that is the case, and then the year, which you are likely to know.

Edited by MMDE

What comes first, the seasonal phase of the year??? What you on about. lol :P

If you think about the big picture, you'd start with the year, then go smaller, not start with the middle number. :S Either go from largest to smallest, or smallest to largest. Smallest to largest is good because it communicates the most important information first. Most likely the date is in the same month, and then you can see if that is the case, and then the year, which you are likely to know.

Well, I did admit that yy/mm/dd is the most logical, and that was before I read the wiki articles on date and time notations and calendar dates, which confirms that Eastern Asia is in fact doing it right, with the most logic in their standard format. The USA wants to be different, and everyone else is just using tradition which stems back from how western religions used to date their biblical ramblings ("the 8th day of November in the year of our Lord 2014" -Wikpedia).

My philosophy as to why we use MM/DD/YY in NA comes from the fact that the current month is the most relative piece of information, so it should always be first.. if I asked you what the date is, you would tell me March 27th, not "the 27th", or I'd have to ask twice.. the day holds no influence without being attached to something relative, such as the current month, which is in direct correlation with the seasons, which are controlled by the Earth's position and distance from the sun, regardless of what day or year we think it is, the Earth will move and the seasons will cycle.. So just as you would answer my question by replying "March 27th" verbally, I would write that as 3/27, because the most relative information belongs in front.

Well, I did admit that yy/mm/dd is the most logical, and that was before I read the wiki articles on date and time notations and calendar dates, which confirms that Eastern Asia is in fact doing it right, with the most logic in their standard format. The USA wants to be different, and everyone else is just using tradition which stems back from how western religions used to date their biblical ramblings ("the 8th day of November in the year of our Lord 2014" -Wikpedia).

My philosophy as to why we use MM/DD/YY in NA comes from the fact that the current month is the most relative piece of information, so it should always be first.. if I asked you what the date is, you would tell me March 27th, not "the 27th", or I'd have to ask twice.. the day holds no influence without being attached to something relative, such as the current month, which is in direct correlation with the seasons, which are controlled by the Earth's position and distance from the sun, regardless of what day or year we think it is, the Earth will move and the seasons will cycle.. So just as you would answer my question by replying "March 27th" verbally, I would write that as 3/27, because the most relative information belongs in front.

Why is the month the most relative? The thing that changes the most is the day, and either the day or the year is the most "important" information. We're rarely interested in what month something is going to happen or has happened. :S

Why is the month the most relative? The thing that changes the most is the day, and either the day or the year is the most "important" information. We're rarely interested in what month something is going to happen or has happened. :S

I've already explained why I feel the month would come before the day, and how I believe that it is more relative, and belongs before the day. You admit to being interested in things on specific days, well, how do you recognize those days? First, you have the month, then you have the day. That is how you remember them, so why isn't the month more relative? If the day was more relative then the month, in your mind you would remember it as Day 89, March. The days belong to the months.

MGS TPP RD is 6 months away. I'm going to end up purchasing a PS4 for this title, I know it >>;

Edited by usrmd

I've already explained why I feel the month would come before the day, and how I believe that it is more relative, and belongs before the day. You admit to being interested in things on specific days, well, how do you recognize those days? First, you have the month, then you have the day.

That makes no sense, because you don't have the month unless you got the year... So that train of thought leaves you with year-month-day, not month-day-year.

As for day-month-year, it's like describing something, it's the 28th day of 3rd month of the 2015th year of the Common Era... etc

It's like saying you live at the 3rd house of x street in x city in x state in x country in x continent on the world in this solar system in this galaxy in this universe etc. :o

That makes no sense, because you don't have the month unless you got the year... So that train of thought leaves you with year-month-day, not month-day-year.

As for day-month-year, it's like describing something, it's the 28th day of 3rd month of the 2015th year of the Common Era... etc

It's like saying you live at the 3rd house of x street in x city in x state in x country in x continent on the world in this solar system in this galaxy in this universe etc. :o

In my very first comment about this, I said that we were doing it wrong, and year-month-day was more correct, but dd/mm/yy is awkward, though I understand why it is used so commonly. Tradition. Not sense.

In NA, we went with sense, and ditched the tradition. I see the idea, but I do not understand the dd/mm/yy logic, because in order for the 28th day to hold any value, you absolutely need to know what month it is. It's simple really...The month is the founding element, the day is the specific element.. it can't be the 28th day of~ March without first being March. 

edit: this debate could go on for a while, I think we should agree to disagree, and blame Raiden.

Edited by usrmd

In my very first comment about this, I said that we were doing it wrong, and year-month-day was more correct, but dd/mm/yy is awkward, though I understand why it is used so commonly. Tradition. Not sense.

In NA, we went with sense, and ditched the tradition. I see the idea, but I do not understand the dd/mm/yy logic, because in order for the 28th day to hold any value, you absolutely need to know what month it is. It's simple really...The month is the founding element, the day is the specific element.. it can't be the 28th day of~ March without first being March. 

edit: this debate could go on for a while, I think we should agree to disagree, and blame Raiden.

I thought I already went through this, but Day-Month-Year is the most natural to use, because you start describing the most useful detail first. If I was to tell you that I'm going to do something the 29th, what would you think? Would you start questioning what month it was? If I told you I were going to do something in March, would you wonder what day of that month I would do it? Because dates usually describe something close-by, the earlier this is communicated, the better.

The same really goes for the clock, but we're usually more interested in the hour than the minute, then minute, then seconds, then milliseconds. There it goes the other way.

Year-Month-Day has it's usefulness when it comes to organizing things.

Month-Day-Year is pretty much useless and has little to no use, and you even agree that it doesn't even meet the requirements you prefer it for. That makes no sense to me. The two other methods have their usefulness, this one is a mess. I don't see why you say you disagree, when you seem to agree. I mean, you say it's bad, but then defend it. :S

I thought I already went through this, but Day-Month-Year is the most natural to use, because you start describing the most useful detail first. If I was to tell you that I'm going to do something the 29th, what would you think? Would you start questioning what month it was? If I told you I were going to do something in March, would you wonder what day of that month I would do it? Because dates usually describe something close-by, the earlier this is communicated, the better.

The same really goes for the clock, but we're usually more interested in the hour than the minute, then minute, then seconds, then milliseconds. There it goes the other way.

Year-Month-Day has it's usefulness when it comes to organizing things.

Month-Day-Year is pretty much useless and has little to no use, and you even agree that it doesn't even meet the requirements you prefer it for. That makes no sense to me. The two other methods have their usefulness, this one is a mess. I don't see why you say you disagree, when you seem to agree. I mean, you say it's bad, but then defend it. :S

If you told me you were to do something on the 29th, and I knew it was March, I would still confirm that you are talking about the current month. If you told me you were going to do something "This month, the 29th", I wouldn't have to confirm anything. If you said only "March", then the context of that hypothetical conversation would have to be elaborated upon because I'm sure that it'd be fairly vague to begin with, like.. "I'm going to go buy a PS4 sometime in March", but non-numerical date formats are easily communicated, no matter the format's order.

You say the day is most useful and belongs first, I say the day is meaningless without the month first.. yes, I agree that mm/dd/yyyy isn't the most correct for all applications, but I do see it as more natural then dd/mm/yyyy in most applications throughout your average person's life. I do not think the mm/dd/yyyy format is bad, I think it is the most relative and best format for both visual appeal and it's most common uses, like communicating the date numerically on paper or the internet. You can tell me it's the 19th all day long. Tell me the month, then the 19th holds water. If I know the month already, great! The month is still first, you see... it just makes sense to me  :lol: Why display that which comes second, first? Maybe for data entry, like organizing lists as you said.. then the formats true colors begin to show, and the compromising order of the mm/dd/yyyy format is in full effect, and can cause confusion. But I've never found myself thinking that the way we format the date numerically is an issue.. It just is, and it makes perfect sense. I can't speak for the rest of NA, though..

If you told me you were to do something on the 29th, and I knew it was March, I would still confirm that you are talking about the current month. If you told me you were going to do something "This month, the 29th", I wouldn't have to confirm anything. If you said only "March", then the context of that hypothetical conversation would have to be elaborated upon because I'm sure that it'd be fairly vague to begin with, like.. "I'm going to go buy a PS4 sometime in March", but non-numerical date formats are easily communicated, no matter the format's order.

You say the day is most useful and belongs first, I say the day is meaningless without the month first.. yes, I agree that mm/dd/yyyy isn't the most correct for all applications, but I do see it as more natural then dd/mm/yyyy in most applications throughout your average person's life. I do not think the mm/dd/yyyy format is bad, I think it is the most relative and best format for both visual appeal and it's most common uses, like communicating the date numerically on paper or the internet. You can tell me it's the 19th all day long. Tell me the month, then the 19th holds water. If I know the month already, great! The month is still first, you see... it just makes sense to me  :lol: Why display that which comes second, first? Maybe for data entry, like organizing lists as you said.. then the formats true colors begin to show, and the compromising order of the mm/dd/yyyy format is in full effect, and can cause confusion. But I've never found myself thinking that the way we format the date numerically is an issue.. It just is, and it makes perfect sense. I can't speak for the rest of NA, though..

I think you totally miss what I'm saying.

Day-month-year has it's use.

Month-day-year attempts something it doesn't do, so it's just a mess.

Yeah-month-day does what you want month-day-year to do, and should be used instead in this case.

This leaves month-day-year as not just the least useful, but the most confusing, and should therefore be avoided.

Yes, the month isn't very specific, it's not very useful to mention first. It's secondary. You're usually thinking about the day tomorrow, or next week etc, not the month. The month is probably the least useful information, even if it is needed to be specific about a date long time into the future or the past. It's only useful when talking more than a month ahead or behind.

I got absolutely no idea why you want to defend month-day-year, because it's a mess. It's like feet, inches, yards, pounds and whatnot. Terrible units to actually use. Most of the world agree, yet a great deal of Americans I come across defend it for some strange reason.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 2

It's an explanation. You can understand it, or not. If I buy a red car, and you ask why, I answer, "oh, because I like the color".. you are the person that would tell me, "but the sky is blue, and my car is blue, don't you want a blue car?". I explained this like 3 posts ago. If days were more important the months, they would not start over every month from 1. Months hold the days, not the other way around. Days are secondary, not months. Days are the last and most irrelvant piece of info, added only to organize and manage our time within the seasons better. The year looks best at the end. Hence 3/28/2015. But, for conveying the date during human to human communication, the month absolutely without doubt must be known for the day to mean anything at all to the person you are talking to. The month must be known, whether you tell it to them or not... seriously.. I can't explain it anymore, man. Seasons cycle with or without days and years.. the months represent the cycle of the earth, and give the days within those cycles a reason to be. Lol.

mm/dd/yyy has a use. I will use it to convey the most relative dates to you, in priority. 3/28/2015. Here, you first see that it is March, now the next piece of information can hold water - The 28th day of March. In the year 2015. It's so simple, that I am done here. Convinced you are trolling for post count bumps, I want to come closer to the understanding of the dd/mm/yyyy logic here, but you aren't able to tell me anything I don't already understand, and reject, as illogical. We are repeating ourselves, and neither of us are understanding anything more then we already do.

Edited by usrmd