Biggest HDD Compatible With PlayStation 3

Parker

I've talked about upgrading my PS3 HDD for a while, but I've finally filled it to capacity so I'm serious about upgrading now. I've been digging around and have found some contradicting posts about HDD's so I want to get personal experiece before I spend my money.

I want more than 500gb and I've seen some people say they have a 1tb HDD while others say that isn't possible. Does anyone on here know for sure what the biggest HDD compatible with the PS3 is?

Also, as far as RPM goes I know the stock HDD is 5400RPM and some HDD's are 7200RPM. Does it really matter that much, or should I stay away from the higher RPM units do to the higher heat?

Thanks for the help fellas,

Parker

I've talked about upgrading my PS3 HDD for a while, but I've finally filled it to capacity so I'm serious about upgrading now. I've been digging around and have found some contradicting posts about HDD's so I want to get personal experiece before I spend my money.

I want more than 500gb and I've seen some people say they have a 1tb HDD while others say that isn't possible. Does anyone on here know for sure what the biggest HDD compatible with the PS3 is?

Also, as far as RPM goes I know the stock HDD is 5400RPM and some HDD's are 7200RPM. Does it really matter that much, or should I stay away from the higher RPM units do to the higher heat?

Thanks for the help fellas,

Parker

I want to know the exact same, thing! I as well have heard the same conflicting reports that confuse me.

I may have answered my own question.

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Scorpio-2-5-Inch-Notebook/dp/B005DVJJWQ/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_0

According to a reviewer on Amazon this HDD works perfectly with the PlayStation 3. I think I'll back up my PS3's drive to an external drive in the next few days and have this HDD coming in the next few weeks. Unless someone tells me horror stories about 1tb drive in PS3's.

Parker

• Like 1

Well, I have a 320gb, but there are most likely larger ones... (i'm not far from maxing it out either)

btw, what's RPM stand for and mean?

plus, that HDD you've linked to... IS it a PS3 HDD? I can't see any sign of PS3 on that page...

it says near bottom..

"Compatibility

Works with Windows 7/Vista/XP/2000 and Mac operating systems."

No mention of PS3.

Well, I have a 320gb, but there are most likely larger ones... (i'm not far from maxing it out either)

Yeah, I know for sure there are bigger ones than 320gb (although I think the 320gb PS3 is the biggest one to come directly from Sony) but I had read on ps3trophies a while ago that 1tb drives weren't compatible with the PlayStation 3. Apparently whoever wrote that was wrong.

RPM stands for Revolutions Per Mintue. Same as with your tachometer in your car. I'm assuming there is something in the HDD that spins and the higher the RPM the faster it spins which will generate more heat. The question is, will the extra heat created form the higher RPM HDD be significant enough to be of harm to the PS3, or does it not matter in the slightest.

Parker

sorry, didn't notice that bit.

No problem. In all honesty, I don't think any of the aftermarket HDD's will say theu support the PS3 or not. From what I've read it just has to be a 2.5" laptop HDD and it should all be good in the neighborhood.

Parker

Any 2.5" laptop HDD should work on the ps3. If you planning on 1TB HDD height should be around 9mm otherwise it won't fit in the HDD bay. SSD is compatible as well but currently its too expensive.

This is what I use. No problems so far.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136856

Picking the HDD size should be applicable on how much you use it.

Do you download full digital games or not?

Do you put pictures and music as well?

I have that HDD for almost three years and I've had no problems. The RPM doesn't make a difference. I do have a slim PS3, but my main PS3 is a launch 60GB and the HDD is in it.

plus, that HDD you've linked to... IS it a PS3 HDD? I can't see any sign of PS3 on that page...

it says near bottom..

"Compatibility

Works with Windows 7/Vista/XP/2000 and Mac operating systems."

No mention of PS3.

It says 2.5", which is the size of a HDD that fits in the PS3.

• Like 1

I have that HDD for almost three years and I've had no problems. The RPM doesn't make a difference. I do have a slim PS3, but my main PS3 is a launch 60GB and the HDD is in it.

It says 2.5", which is the size of a HDD that fits in the PS3.

This drive sounds really good. I heard a rumor that regardless of the size of the HDD you buy, the PS3 will only allow you to use up to 500G..........is that true???

Any SATA 2.5 inch HDD will work for you as long as it is no more than 9.5mm thick. Otherwise it wont fit.

7200 RPM will make a tiny difference to your start up time and then you wont notice much more.

A new 7200RPM will generate about the same heat as the 5400 RPM HDD in your PS3 but if you are worried about heat issues dont put your ps3 in an enclosed space and vacuum the vents regularly.

• Like 2

Before you change over sync up your trophies & do a back up of your system.

Bear in mind that if your HDD is nearly full what ever you are backing up to will have to have the same space free as your total HDD size.

If you have any protected saves copy them up to the Plus Cloud.

then its just a matter of switching all off, disconnecting the power, press start on the PS3 - it wont start obviously but it will help with static shock, open the hatch, swap HDDs and put it all back together again.

You could do it all in the ad break in Top Gear ;)

The max size it can hold is up to 1TB because of the FAT32 format.

Not true. Windows can only format up to 32GB in FAT.

However, other programs such as FAT32format can and does format Any HDD up to 2TB (per internal HDD).

To make sure I understand correctly, before I can back my PS3's HDD up onto an external drive, I will first have to format the external HDD to FAT32 format, correct? In order to do that I'll need some sort of program that will allow me to format an HDD of that size though?

Parker

To make sure I understand correctly, before I can back my PS3's HDD up onto an external drive, I will first have to format the external HDD to FAT32 format, correct? In order to do that I'll need some sort of program that will allow me to format an HDD of that size though?

Parker

Everything you need right here.

• 3 weeks later...