Maybe I'm just being hypersensitive...

PleaseHoldOn

Is there any way to see the temperatures that my PS4 is running at?

How hard the fans run when playing even fairly tame games (graphically) is alarming to me.  And the other day playing Revelations 2 for about an hour tops... the fans were going full bore and when I closed the game they didn't slow down like they normally do... like it's not adequately cooling itself down, even outside of games.  It'd be cool if I could at least confirm whether or not it's getting so hot I might consider it to be overheating, but I'm guessing unlike a PC, I don't have that kind of information at my fingertips.

With the weather getting warmer out and no A/C in this place, it's making me not want to play the damn thing to avoid shaving years off it's life.

How old is it?

Is it in an area that air can circulate properly?

Is there any dust blockign up any vents?

How hot is it where you are roughly?

We'll need to know those things if you want help.

EDIT: also how long has it been doing this for?

Edited by Superbuu3

PS4s can get pretty hot (at least mine does), the best thing you can do is make sure it's well ventilated (try to have about 3-4 inches of space for it to breath on each side). I also have mine raised up about 1/4 inch with little rubber legs, that may help a bit too.

Edited by Masamune_316
  • Like 1

How old is it?

Is it in an area that air can circulate properly?

Is there any dust blockign up any vents?

How hot is it where you are roughly?

We'll need to know those things if you want help.

EDIT: also how long has it been doing this for?

1. A few months old.

2. Yes, it's on a tray next to my television, out in the open, no walls obstructing airflow.

3. No.

4. 80-90F (26-32C according to Google)

5. The fans always got loud, only recently (within the last day or three) I noticed they weren't scaling back after unloading games like they used to.

Frankly, the only question I really asked was if there is any way to get an accurate read of what temperatures my PS4 is running at so I can say "yeah, it's loud, but at least it's not damaging itself".  Which is kind of a loaded question since I'm 90% sure there is no way.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

Frankly, the only question I really asked was if there is any way to get an accurate read of what temperatures my PS4 is running at so I can say "yeah, it's loud, but at least it's not damaging itself".  Which is kind of a loaded question since I'm 90% sure there is no way.

I saw a picture of someone having some kind of thermometer on their PS4, but it looked like they cut the front of it off to do it, and I don't think you would want to do that.

The only other way is to just feel how hot it is after playing for a bit. I have read that sometimes keeping it elevated can also make a big difference. Like after playing for a bit, feel if the bottom is hot or the area where you are laying it on is hot. If it is, get something to elevate it off the ground. I've read that works really well.

• Like 1

Maybe there is so much dust piled up on the fan try cleaning that up.

It's only a few months old, and I'll occasionally move it to different rooms of the house depending on what I'm using it for.  It never really has an opportunity to get dust built up.  Thanks though.

I saw a picture of someone having some kind of thermometer on their PS4, but it looked like they cut the front of it off to do it, and I don't think you would want to do that.

The only other way is to just feel how hot it is after playing for a bit. I have read that sometimes keeping it elevated can also make a big difference. Like after playing for a bit, feel if the bottom is hot or the area where you are laying it on is hot. If it is, get something to elevate it off the ground. I've read that works really well.

I guess I could find some matchbooks (or something similar and less ignitable lol) and prop up the four corners of it, and see if that helps at all.  Appreciate the advice. :)

I guess I could find some matchbooks (or something similar and less ignitable lol) and prop up the four corners of it, and see if that helps at all.  Appreciate the advice. :)

You're welcome :) I should ask anyway, but have you felt it? And if so, how hot does it normally feel after a while? If it's just lukewarm or even kind of warm then I don't think there's much to worry about, especially because you don't have A/C in your house which I feel like plays a factor. So long as it's not getting too hot and shutting off and ejecting discs it should be okay. If you have a fan that you can aim towards it that might help too.

I took the legs off an old small speaker & used them for my PS4 (PS3 too), but before that I cut up one of those gel insoles you can get for your shoes into small squares, that worked great (they even stuck to the surface a little, so they didn't shift any), the only reason I switched to the legs were because they raised it up a little more.

• Like 1

I took the legs off an old small speaker & used them for my PS4 (PS3 too), but before that I cut up one of those gel insoles you can get for your shoes into small squares, that worked great (they even stuck to the surface a little, so they didn't shift any), the only reason I switched to the legs were because they raised it up a little more.

That's a pretty good idea with the gel insoles.  I may just go out and get some generic brand just to try this out... maybe cut a few squares and put them on top of eachother to raise it up a little higher, since like you said, they even stick a little so it may be sturdy enough.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn
  • Like 1

That's a pretty good idea with the gel insoles.  I may just go out and get some generic brand just to try this out... maybe cut a few squares and put them on top of eachother to raise it up a little higher, since like you said, they even stick a little so it may be sturdy enough.

Damn, I never thought about doubling it.  :facepalm:  But as long as you're using some type of rubber or gel materiel, it should grip it enough so it won't slide.

Fun fact: you can also make a slingshot out of those gel things if you cut them into strips, it worked really good too... until it snapped & made my ammo almost explode in my hand... Oh, I was shooting firecrackers. :P

If you want to know if your PS4 is getting hotter than it's supposed to, you can always check out this video for comparison:

Lasse Pulkkinen's Console Wars is an excellent video series, and in the second round of the current generation, one of the things he compared was temperature output. Just go to minute 5:00.

Edited by jrdemr
  • Like 2