Tales of Berseria announced

"Tales of Berseria is set in the sacred kingdom of Midgand, which consists of several large lands and numerous archipelagos. Inhabitants of Midgand work to advance the region’s sailing and ship technology. The region is also said to suffer from extreme climate variations between its Northern and Southern areas, ranging from severe winters to everlasting summers.

Velvet, the game’s heroine, wakes up after a certain incident takes place three years prior to the start of the game, and her existence shocks the world for some unmentioned reason. While Velvet is designed by Mutsumi Inomata, Kosuke Fujishima will also return as a character designer."

Source: http://www.siliconera.com/2015/06/11/tales-of-berseria-takes-place-in-the-land-of-midgand/

• Like 1

Hmm I dunno this maybe the worst Tales that will be ever made. Velvet looks so generic that I almost cried how bad her looks are. She looks exactly like Kohaku from Hearts had been combined to Milla from Xillia. You can find Velvet from any anime or game even from Oreshika (Nueko). Not to mention that Female protagonist is always bad news for the series. (it's just to please mainstreamers) Velvet sounds like a name for of a w*ore...She's a pirate right so makes sense female pirates worked as such in the old days I guess, and Velvet's life changed in last few years maybe she ran off from her pimp.. :DDDD Sorry I'm not existed. We females are just worse in every aspect. Thanks Tales for feeding those mainstreamers with their Waifus. Gonna buy it though once it's on sale! Just to support the series, hopefully you can atleast have a full male party. Husbando for life! 

Edited by killivincent

Velvet looks like an edgier Milla. I'm going to wait untill I see some gameplay since the combat is a hit or miss with the tales of games.

I liked Milla but I hope Velvet has a better voice actor :D

Hmm I dunno this maybe the worst Tales that will be ever made. Velvet looks so generic that I almost cried how bad her looks are. She looks exactly like Kohaku from Hearts had been combined to Milla from Xillia. You can find Velvet from any anime or game even from Oreshika (Nueko). Not to mention that Female protagonist is always bad news for the series. (it's just to please mainstreamers) Velvet sounds like a name for of a w*ore...She's a pirate right so makes sense female pirates worked as such in the old days I guess, and Velvet's life changed in last few years maybe she ran off from her pimp.. :DDDD Sorry I'm not existed. We females are just worse in every aspect. Thanks Tales for feeding those mainstreamers with their Waifus. Gonna buy it though once it's on sale! Just to support the series, hopefully you can atleast have a full male party. Husbando for life! 

And if it wasn't for so many amazing E3 announcements you would have made my day with this comment :D

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The last Tales game that didn't feel like a rushed quick fix for anime lovers was Symphonia. Tales of Destiny, Eternia, Symphonia, and maybe even Vesperia, had that magic touch to them. Like games that could stand among the other JRPGs of their kind. Nowadays it feels like they come out with a new Tales game every month, using extremely outdated graphics/engines, just to quickly push them out for quick cash. And they're running out of names as well, because Berseria just sounds ridiculous.

I wish they would scrap the archaic PS3, wait a few years, and really make a serious entry again. Just call it "Tales" or something, and make it somewhat of a reboot of the series. With a plot line that's NOT cliche, without stupid mature women sounding like they're 5 to induce boners in future pedophiles, with a large world to explore without the exact same stuff in it as the last time. Tales of Eternia had 2 worlds (3, really), and felt like a giant adventure with great consequence, in a world that had lore and history. Tales of Xillia felt like a large sidequest in an empty world.

The last Tales game that didn't feel like a rushed quick fix for anime lovers was Symphonia. Tales of Destiny, Eternia, Symphonia, and maybe even Vesperia, had that magic touch to them. Like games that could stand among the other JRPGs of their kind. Nowadays it feels like they come out with a new Tales game every month, using extremely outdated graphics/engines, just to quickly push them out for quick cash.

Berseria has been in development for like a year and a half, which considering how it's not a big budget "AAA" game, that's a perfectly reasonable development cycle. There's only so much you can push the anime-style graphics. In my opinion, Berseria looks incredible. It doesn't have be realistic or cutting edge to look good.

And they're running out of names as well, because Berseria just sounds ridiculous.

Why does the name matter? Berseria sounds fine to me. It's not that different from other entries in the series.

I wish they would scrap the archaic PS3, wait a few years, and really make a serious entry again. Just call it "Tales" or something, and make it somewhat of a reboot of the series.

That would be suicide for them. Abandoning the PS3 would be like abandoning the Japanese market as a whole. And what would you call the sequel to this reboot? Tales 2? That sounds way dumber than Berseria ever did.  :P

without stupid mature women sounding like they're 5 to induce boners in future pedophiles

Well this is an incredibly ignorant statement... It's a Japanese game, so of course they're going to have Japanese sounding women. Maybe you shouldn't be so quick to judge others.

Berseria has been in development for like a year and a half, which considering how it's not a big budget "AAA" game, that's a perfectly reasonable development cycle. There's only so much you can push the anime-style graphics. In my opinion, Berseria looks incredible. It doesn't have be realistic or cutting edge to look good.

Why does the name matter? Berseria sounds fine to me. It's not that different from other entries in the series.

That would be suicide for them. Abandoning the PS3 would be like abandoning the Japanese market as a whole. And what would you call the sequel to this reboot? Tales 2? That sounds way dumber than Berseria ever did.  :P

Well this is an incredibly ignorant statement... It's a Japanese game, so of course they're going to have Japanese sounding women. Maybe you shouldn't be so quick to judge others.

Tales games used to be AAA. Now they're BBB at best. What's wrong with wanting the series to return to those lofty expectations? The games feel like filler to me, as opposed to fleshed out JRPG titles. I think that's a shame. You can push out tremendous anime graphics, with richly detailed environments and better lip syncing, less repetitive character animations, etc. Hand drawn graphics are no excuse for lack of detail or effort. Just look at Rayman, or even the Naruto games. Tales games look incredibly outdated even on a PS3. You don't need realism or cutting-edge, but even Ni-No-Kuni looked great because it had fantastic art direction. Not bland cliche environments with limited character models.

I find Berseria a goofy name. It doesn't roll off the tongue right and it just feels like they're reaching deep in the barrel. Why do all the Tales games have to end with "ia" these days? What was wrong with Destiny?

People need to eventually move on. Final Fantasy 15 isn't on PS3, and they're definitely not abandoning Japan with that one. The vast majority of the console installment base is overseas, and they clearly want people outside of Japan to enjoy these niche titles as well, so adapt or die. I personally think it's more of an excuse for them to push out similar looking titles without having to overhaul the engine.

It could be called Tales. Then the next one could be called Tales of Destiny. Or Tales of Faith. Or Tales of Radiance. Or Tales of Atlantis for all I care. Getting rid of the recent "ia" fascination would open the doors to a lot more possibilities.

And no, Japanese women don't all sound like they're 5. Only in games. In Japan, women are still seen as somewhat of a lesser species, so their main role in games are either one of the following; helpless, clumsy, naive good girl, or over-the-top brooding bad ass. You're either more masculine, or borderline useless and dependent on a male. Most female characters in JRPGs sound like they're 5 so that it satisfies their strange fascination with lolitas and their dormant interest in making women fragile objects who are incapable of saying no. I will judge that as a missed opportunity for character development if anything.

The last Tales game that didn't feel like a rushed quick fix for anime lovers was Symphonia. 

I agree with you on this, but I'm biased because I loved Tales Of Symphonia so much. I also agree about the name. They should do away with the "ia" thing because they're running out of words, & they're so made up now that they just sound ridiculous. To me, Symphonia was the best, closely followed by Abyss & Vesperia. I haven't played any since those last two & I kind of miss it because it used to be one of my favorite series. 

I wish they would scrap the archaic PS3, wait a few years, and really make a serious entry again. Just call it "Tales" or something, and make it somewhat of a reboot of the series. 

Wow, this west screaming mentality.

without stupid mature women sounding like they're 5 to induce boners in future pedophiles, 

No one's forcing you to listen to them. You can play the game with 'normal sounding' English voices.

Tales is one of series that is still not that affected by western influence, I hope it stays that way.

Wow, this west screaming mentality.

No one's forcing you to listen to them. You can play the game with 'normal sounding' English voices.

Tales is one of series that is still not that affected by western influence, I hope it stays that way.

The "normal" English voices are part of the problem. They try to mimic the Japanese ones. Have you listened to Star Ocean 5 recently? Or any of the interviews with the English voice actors? It's horrid. There's an extreme amount of try-hard going on there.

Progression and advancement is not a "west screaming mentality". Going with the times and embracing evolution is not something bad. It should be encouraged. Japanese people used to be the pioneers of JRPGs, or videogames in general. Now we celebrate their mediocrity and refusal to up their game? 

Tales used to be a AAA game. It's now an afterthought B-series sold at a bargain price within a month of release. If you compare the Tales games of today to the Tales games of old, there's a day and night difference. The more we try to justify the severe lack of polish/effort in Tales games, the longer it will take before they return to their former glory. Western influence has nothing to do with this. Nationality has nothing to do with this. It's about effort and heart. Those two things are gone in this series, and we (the consumers) are the victims.  

Edited by Paige-ID
  • Like 1

The "normal" English voices are part of the problem. They try to mimic the Japanese ones. Have you listened to Star Ocean 5 recently? Or any of the interviews with the English voice actors? It's horrid. There's an extreme amount of try-hard going on there.

Nope, because I don't listen to English voices, I don't care about English VAs and I like my ears.

But if this is the case then... wow. That must be really bad.

Progression and advancement is not a "west screaming mentality". 

The remake part is considering what some western titles are doing in recent years  :P

You should notice that Tales is still title for Japanese (PS3 versions proving that), they are content with what they are getting, so there is no need for change.

Edited by Satoshi Ookami

Nope, because I don't listen to English voices, I don't care about English VAs and I like my ears.

But if this is the case then... wow. That must be really bad.

https://youtu.be/b7qKem0St9I?t=2m55s

Some VAs have talent; it's just wasted on horrible localization/script. The girl with the white hair takes the cake for making you want to go deaf. During the E3 interview I had to change the channel before committing a hate crime. I know Japanese people are capable of making very good dialogue in English, with excellent voice acting (Final Fantasy 12). Of course, this is then quickly overshadowed by extremely puzzling dialogue in the next installment (13), which was trash.

https://youtu.be/b7qKem0St9I?t=2m55s

Some VAs have talent; it's just wasted on horrible localization/script. The girl with the white hair takes the cake for making you want to go deaf. During the E3 interview I had to change the channel before committing a hate crime. I know Japanese people are capable of making very good dialogue in English, with excellent voice acting (Final Fantasy 12). Of course, this is then quickly overshadowed by extremely puzzling dialogue in the next installment (13), which was trash.

The white haired girl was the best from all o.O

And it still sounds crappy... Japanese voicing is obviously superior.