Gaming Industry - Companies That Keep Reusing Their Assets.

Xel

Reusing assets in video games isn't awful by any means. For a remake or a sequel, reusing assets is great. It makes the game feel a lot more like its original version/prequel. While it could be seen as lazy or cutting corners, in other ways it allows effort to be put into other areas of the game, or for games to be released more quickly/often. However, certain games like Cod, BF and many others can get stale fast after 2-3 months by using the same formula over and over again. Tales of Xillia 2 is an ideal example, the game stayed pretty much the same as the original except for the added battle system mechanics and new story. With modern games costing more and more to develop, which ultimately results in less risk taking and having to simplify games so that they appeal to as wide an audience as possible, could this be the correct solution?

What is your take on this?

Edited by drag0n2

You can reuse assets and keep the game fresh, the problem is when you take the exact same game, add a few new stuff, slap some poorly made story, and you get the fan reaction you described.

A game needs improvement, old assets can be tweaked to make a better experience. About your question, I do think we will see this more often, mainly because any new IP, when it comes out, is already being thought of as a new series, development of the new entry starts as soon as the first game is released and such, devs need to reduce it takes to get the game done. Is this good or bad? It really depends on how focused the team is on the other aspects of the game.

• Like 1

Reusing IPs and remaking games is fine. Some people never get to try them out so rehashing them for newer systems makes sense to me.

However, I think the real problem, which you alluded to, is that companies are afraid to take risks and push the envelope so to speak. I mean, look at Destiny. It was this huge ambitious MMO shooter that sounded amazing, yet in reality, it turned out to be a bland FPS with repetitive missions.

I am always willing to explore new genres and IPs even if they don't initially appeal to me. I think that making video games that appeal to everyone is a load of bull. A great game will sell itself. You just have to get people to try it.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 1

Well you use the example of CoD I may have to disagree slightly. I feel they shouldnt pump out the game every yeat. And that the story could always be better. But the assets are the same because its a generic shooter. Why change it?

• Like 1

Speaking of sequels and remakes, as long as you keep the essence of what made the first be different from other games while adding fitting new ideas, plus taking a decent time gap, then you really must know what you're doing.

If the game has been stalled since forever but still sells well, the it's also a correct solution to a certain extent. It is a losing/winning relationship.

But if we take other variables like becoming bored of it, future audiences, etc. then you must have backup plans and take a risk, reformulate your strategy with the IP so it doesn't die.

In short, if you analyze how the sales are faring and they turn out negatively with the series of games of a same IP, then give it a rest and take the risk of a new one, otherwise you'll have to kill it off. If a company becomes too comfortable with same IPs games over and over again, it's on a risk of bankrupcy.

EVEN so, it goes deeper than that in some cases (EA), but we would have to take other variables in order to see what the risk of these IPs are related to failure in the near or far future.

The problem nowadays is that heads of companies are taking less risks. And as Keiji Inafune said: "developers are afraid of fighting back." (speaking for Japan).

And the developers who are not afraid? either they get what they want, or well...money is my love.

• Like 1

Depends on the mechanics of the gameplay but I always feel you should never play the same game twice.

Naughty bear is a great example of this, then 505 produced a squeal Naughty bear : Panic in Paradise. First game was good but the second had a good familiar but different mechanic gameplay. Both were just poorly executed with sloppy rendering and poor environment creativity.

Edited by Totalcross3000

I don't mind asset reuse, as long as they evolve with the game.

Take Mass Effect for example - the character models and environments stay largely the same throughout the trilogy, but the textures and poly counts improve over time, which makes them feel fresh. The game mechanics also change fairly significantly, which makes each game in the series feel unique, but familiar. Had the sequels played the same as the original, I doubt it'd hold the same lustre.

What bothers me more is re-use of assets within the same game. Mass Effect again is guilty on this front, at least the first title, where many of the exploration levels were exact duplicates with slightly different enemies. Along the same lines, I found Deus Ex particularly annoying with the placement of cardboard boxes everywhere, in every single level. Surely the art team could have come up with something a little more creative.

Similarly, I'd like to see more variety in generic enemy models. I get tired of shooting the same handful of mobs, game-in, game-out, which makes it all feel dull and repetitive. We're all unique and beautiful snowflakes, so why do the bad guys always look the same? Create say 5-10 different skins per model with some slight variance in texture, size, posture and animation would at least mix things up and feel less repetitive. Stick it in an RNG and you end up with potentially hundreds of variants for head, skin, torso, legs, height, girth, colour, clothing, weapons, armour etc without massively taxing resources.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

• 3 weeks later...