Anyone else sad when you need a new computer?

DaivRules

So my 2008 MacBook Pro finally crapped out on me. I dodged the known-defective Nvidia GeForce 8600m chipset flaw in 2012 and recovered until this past Thursday. Almost 7 years with that thing and it's been running every day for the last three years. Kinda functioning as a media server as well as my VNC base as well as my work-from-home computer when I needed to do that. Won't boot OS X any more, I managed to get a severely mangled Windows 7 boot camp running in 800x600, but with the the distorted colors on the screen and incorrect rendering, it's pretty much useless.

Picked up a 2014 Mac Mini to replace it (I haven't had *use* for portable PC gaming since 2010) and it's just so sad. I had the perfect 10.6.8 setup in OS X with all my favorite legacy applications as well as the newer ones I needed. My Win 7 installation was rock-solid. Now I'm trying to get my setup as close to that as possible. 

Anyone have the need of a new computer thrust upon them and felt as upset? I imagine people in this day and age go through computers every 2-3 years and don't give a crap about it. And if they have them longer, they've replaced the guts several times over.

I'm definitely weird, but I can't be alone in this, can I?

I had a friend that custom his rig, it was expensive and died on him. He took out the good parts and built a new one in 2 days. He wasn't upset, but I actually believe he was happy to have a reason to make an even more powerful rig.

My pc is quite crappy lately, but I don't care about it. I guess I never got attached to it. Don't know many people that do, though.

My first computer was a Macbook White (mid 2007) It died in May 2014. Frustrated me a lot tbh. Later got the iPad 3, which also got bricked after about 13 months, thanks iOS 8 <_< I still dunno if I should turn it in and get a new one for 25% of the price. For now, I'm gonna continue using my dad's PC.

I could understand for the simple reason that you gotta start transferring all your data (if it didn't die on you without a backup grrr, learned that the hard way once :P), and cause you probably gotta start on a new OS...

But on the other hand, you get to treat yourself to a nice shiny new rig, it's like christmas come early ;), albeit you have to foot the bill lol

And yeah, loved windows 7, 8 not so much... But it is what it is...

It's a bit of a pain that you have to shell out the money for a new PC, re-install all programs and put all configurations back the way they were, but it's also good that you generally get to get a faster, more powerful PC for all your troubles. It's annoying in the short run, but worth it in the long run.

My computers don't last more than 5-6 years on average, though. I treat them better than anyone I know, but since they're something you use extensively nearly every day, they're bound to die on you/become obsolete sooner or later.

I've had my desktop for about 8 years now and I haven't even cleaned the inside.

It is starting to make odd noises though so I'll probably have to clean it soon, either that or it's on the way out.

The warranty sticker is still intact on the back of the case.

The only reason I'd be upset if it broke is because I don't have the money to buy a new one, and nowadays I think I'd just buy parts and build a better one.

My laptop is only a year old and still going strong.

You're not alone, I'm stuck with an outdated laptop that can barely run things right. The "best" game I could play on it was league of legends but even with all the graphics settings on lowest I would lag in team fights all the time. I even managed to play MMORPGs like Vindictus and Dragon Nest but I would still lag way too hard and too often for me to enjoy the game. So it kinda sucks I can't play mmos right now which is pretty much my favorite genre of video games but I'm also glad that I got to experience a lot of great console games that I missed out on. Not only that but building my first gaming PC is going to be exciting, hopefully I won't screw it up though. xD

Personally, I actually don't feel as bad. Since in today's age we're able to save/back up a lot of our settings and profiles onto some sort of cloud, I feel like it's fairly easy to reload everything onto a new computer and feel comfortable immediately. It's not really the physical computer hardware that I get attached to, but more so the way I have configured things up to just how I like it (with the exception of the keyboard and mouse; when either of those die on me after I've been using them for years I cry in a corner for days, especially when they no longer manufacture the specific models that I've come to love). Then again, I have very minimalistic/simplistic ideals in my configuration, so it's fairly easy for me to set everything back up to what it was like before. I don't spend too much time looking at my physical computer, so once I have the OS/software configured I can't even tell I switched computers.

It's good to have an external drive to backup movies, games and files

but it is still alot of work to reinstall stuff back to the way they were.

i had my computer (desktop) for 3 years now. it's still able to run mmos

like ff 14 , gw 2. however, my 2007 macbook started giving errors as of late

so i had to ditch it.

Edited by kurtskyKG