Rom was tough!

dev2610

And yeah, not the mandatory Rom, the Vacuous Spider found at Moonside Lake but the one at Layer 3 of Lower Phtumeru Chalice. I defeated Rom, the main boss, in a single attempt, however, took me several tries for the one in Chalice and that brings me to my question: Is chalice's difficulty up-scaled based on your level?

I know there was a  space constraint for movement, unlike Moonside Lake which was vast, so hit and run was easy but the one in Chalice, I hardly had space to move was often getting caught among the minion spider who themselves have a very heavy attack, like health bar reduces by about 40% in one single headbutt, apart from their constant melee hits.

• Like 1

Good for you.

Yeah, good indeed but I think you missed the main part of the post--> My question.

Chalices enemies levels are fixed and does not scale with your SL

Thanks for answering this. I don't know why I am finding enemies tougher to kill. For example, I am at Ailing Loran Chalice now (need 2 bastard of loran for Defiled Chalice) and its generally taking a few more hits to down enemies compared to the usual which kind of seems odd because my weapon level is 10 and its Hunter Axe, not a weak weapon, one can say and my Strength stat is 42. I also find them hitting harder, taking out lot of HP. Did something like this happened to you as well? Like, is this expected?

The chalice dungeons are hard, especially when you get down to Depth 3-5. The bosses in those lower dungeons hit much harder than their equivalent in the main game, or so I found. 

When I was playing, I didn't even start the chalices until the only thing I had left to do was complete the Moon Beast. I was at level 120 or so. Depths 1-3 were ok. Depths 4-5 were hard as hell and I had to bring 2 friends of roughly the same level.

Long story short - the difficulty is determined by the depth of the dungeon. Depths of 4-5 can be particularly tough, even for level 130-150 characters which have been built well. 

• Like 1

This is perfectly normal, the lower you get in these dungeons the harder the enemies will get. I think I did the first few bosses on level 30, after that it became too difficult so I came back when I was SL 90

If you're sitting somewhere between SL100-120 you should be more than capable of clearing all the dungeons. Although I think most people would prefer being at least SL130

This also means, let's say that you're SL250, you're gonna be squashing all enemies like a bug under your boots as they don't scale with your SL. Regardless of NG+

Edited by Goekie
  • Like 1

The chalice dungeons are hard, especially when you get down to Depth 3-5. The bosses in those lower dungeons hit much harder than their equivalent in the main game, or so I found. 

When I was playing, I didn't even start the chalices until the only thing I had left to do was complete the Moon Beast. I was at level 120 or so. Depths 1-3 were ok. Depths 4-5 were hard as hell and I had to bring 2 friends of roughly the same level.

Long story short - the difficulty is determined by the depth of the dungeon. Depths of 4-5 can be particularly tough, even for level 130-150 characters which have been built well. 

Yeah, I agree. I am at Depth 4 and I am buffing my character before I hit Defiled Chalice (Aim: HP-> 50, Stamina-> 50, Strength-> 50). I am at level 125, I reckon and I am finding things to be a bit overwhelming at times. Managing to scrape through, as of now.

Chalice dungeons do not scale with your level. They also don't scale with New Game+

Yeah, read about it, they don't. Just learned their difficulty do increase with depth. So that's killing because I wasn't mentally prepared for that.

This is perfectly normal, the lower you get in these dungeons the harder the enemies will get. I think I did the first few bosses on level 30, after that it became too difficult so I came back when I was SL 90

If you're sitting somewhere between SL100-120 you should be more than capable of clearing all the dungeons. Although I think most people would prefer being at least SL130

This also means, let's say that you're SL250, you're gonna be squashing all enemies like a bug under your boots as they don't scale with your SL. Regardless of NG+

I am level 125, if I recall correctly but I don't know, I am getting a feel that my Hunter Axe is behaving like its at level 4 or 5. Although, I do plan to level up further ( HP: 50, Stamina: 50, Strength: 50) before I start Defiled Chalice (the toughest of them all) but even these Chalices are forcing me to give a second thought and seek help which I personally don't want to do. So just wanted to make sure if it got upscaled due to my level for the fact that considering my level stat and weapon level, I wasn't hitting too hard.

Edited by dev2610

Why on earth are you playing with a hunter axe?

Hunter's Axe and Ludwig's Greatsword have to be the strongest weapons in the entire game IMO. The power attacks are overpowered as hell lol.

EDIT: For PvE.

Edited by Griffon234

And yeah, not the mandatory Rom, the Vacuous Spider found at Moonside Lake but the one at Layer 3 of Lower Phtumeru Chalice. I defeated Rom, the main boss, in a single attempt, however, took me several tries for the one in Chalice and that brings me to my question: Is chalice's difficulty up-scaled based on your level?

I know there was a space constraint for movement, unlike Moonside Lake which was vast, so hit and run was easy but the one in Chalice, I hardly had space to move was often getting caught among the minion spider who themselves have a very heavy attack, like health bar reduces by about 40% in one single headbutt, apart from their constant melee hits.

I had the opposite experience where it took me about four or five tries to beat Rom the first time and only about three the second time. I used the columns in the dungeon fight as cover to block Rom's ice attack and lured his minion spiders over where I could kill them quickly from behind cover. Then all I had to do was attack him when he wasn't doing his AoE and not have to worry about being blindsided. Edited by Rowdi

I had the opposite experience where it took me about four or five tries to beat Rom the first time and only about three the second time. I used the columns in the dungeon fight as cover to block Rom's ice attack and lured his minion spiders over where I could kill them quickly from behind cover. Then all I had to do was attack him when he wasn't doing his AoE and not have to worry about being blindsided.

I found the pillars to be a hindrance. I had to keep a watch on how the boss is positioning itself, those moves telegraphed the kind of attack coming, I tried taking cover behind those pillars but often happened that those arcane long shots were exploding right next to me, eating up a lot of health points. Eventually got him and now fighting the Phtumerian Descendant at Layer 1 of Phtumerian Ihyll chalice. I am very close to a a hard earned GOLD.. :D

I found the pillars to be a hindrance. I had to keep a watch on how the boss is positioning itself, those moves telegraphed the kind of attack coming, I tried taking cover behind those pillars but often happened that those arcane long shots were exploding right next to me, eating up a lot of health points. Eventually got him and now fighting the Phtumerian Descendant at Layer 1 of Phtumerian Ihyll chalice. I am very close to a a hard earned GOLD.. :D

He was a pain. I found that I could parry his attack where he rushed me and that I could bait that attack and notice it easier by keeping some distance between us. The distance also helped me dodge that boomerang attack. I equipped runes for extra bullets, extra visceral attack damage and health gain on visceral attacks. Good luck! After him, the rest is a breeze.

Killed the bugger, finally. Was a big pain in the neck. Haven't gone any further that, would do it today, if it takes time to beat Bloodletting beast, then would probably have the trophy by the end of this weekend (and a few more, hopefully)