Raiden IV: OverKill Help & Tips thread

Zanzarro

Personal 1000 meteorite strategy taking Zanzarro's tips into account:

Do this on Score Attack Mode as you'll skip 1-5 or 2-5 stage.

NEVER choose H-missiles. The best choice is M-missiles but it could also work with R- missiles.

With this said, the next one is destroying the first enemy ship you see asap and change or keep weapons to Vulcan (max. upgraded if possible). Now, you should have both M-Missiles and a decent vulcan cannon.

Next thing to bear in mind is never try to destroy a meteorite launcher except when you find no more use for them. Use a bomb to score extra meteorites when you pass the launcher.

There are 11, and you must focus on NOT destroying them as soon as you spot them.

First 3 launchers are easy to take advantage of. For the very first, just focus on destroying the meteorites, with the M-Missiles there's no risk of destroying it if you keep close enough. Don't hesitate to go from this launcher to the next couple shooting in an X-pattern and doing the same stuff again when necessary. Be careful that there are some ships which will be shooting at you and you must focus on destroying the meteorites, not the enemies, so expect some dodging.

Afterwards, you can try to use a bomb but be careful as the next 4 launchers are close and could be destroyed.

After arriving at the 4 launchers formation, focus on destroying the meteorites from the one shooting down, but not for long, else the ones on the sides or your ship will be destroyed. Go from the one in the bottom to either side and keep destroying the meteorites while dodging enemy shots. Also be careful of choosing other weapons, especially getting the H-missiles.

When you see the row of meteorites getting too close to your ship at the end of the screen, pass them up and immediately continue destroying some of the meteorites from the up-faced launcher and throw a bomb to score extra points.

The first tricky part is done, but the harder one follows:

4 launchers are situated shooting horizontally in two directions. From what I remember, you can change weapons before this. Do it and choose the blue orb (I don't know if it works with vulcan though).

Basically, this part revolves keeping your ship in the middle and shooting at the rows of meteorites. The hard part is that enemy ships are present and shooting their asses off at you every time. If you lose a life here, there might be a chance of not scoring 1000 so prepare for some dodging. Also, no bombs here or the launchers will get destroyed. You must survive as long as you can on this part.

2+ bombs are going to be absolutely necessary after you pass this. Reason is that a crapload of red meteorites will be falling down at a VERY rapid pace as the mission's last gift, so don't hesitate on bombing them off.

That's pretty much it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Edit: I managed to do it the other way around (i.e starting with laser and changing into vulcan later on).

Edited by Lord_of_Ra
  • Like 1

This will definitely help me on the quest for this legendary platinum. Thanks! Hopefully the Sol Towers and Miklas won't get on my nerves that much trying to find their new locations.

I will soon (maybe later today) will post where the Sol towers and Miklas are. I'm not in my house atm so i kannot check and verify where they at :/

• Like 2

I will soon (maybe later today) will post where the Sol towers and Miklas are. I'm not in my house atm so i kannot check and verify where they at :/

Take your time, I appreciate any help people that go out of their way to help other people do their best to get this platinum.

Edited by Anceril Sacred

Please do. I'm just missing 2-5 and 2-6 lol.

Ot: I ABSOLUTELY recommend you watch Racingfan93 run. Guy's pretty badass.

The most practical way I found for mission 4 1-up is using the laser on the estatues for a bit so it makes them glow red asap. Then use bombs while shooting to ensure a confirmed destruction. As Zanzarro says, skip the first one.

Btw NO H-missiles.

Trophy's a bit tricky and requires some patience to pull off.

Edit: there's a Video that emphasizes What I'm saying on youtube. I don't have the means to post it so search: Raiden IV mission 4 1-up and click the first one.

Edited by Lord_of_Ra
  • Like 1

Finished both arcade trophies and I wanted to add that the bug for original also works for light arcade as I had to use 1 cont. at stage 5.

I suggest you don't focus too much on arcade as overkill tends to have extra enemies and you'll need some different tactics.

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

I just found all Sols Towers/Miklas today. Figured I would try to point you guys in the right direction.

Keep in mind I was doing this on 2-1 to 2-7 but they should still be the same. First of all, the Sol towers look like gray pyramids like one of the videos Zanzarro posted. All you have to do is hover over them for a little bit and then blast away at the Sols tower to go rescue the Mikla afterwards.

• LEVEL 2-1:

The Sol tower is located right next to the exploding oil container right before the boss. One of the easier ones to spot. 

• LEVEL 2-2:

The video shows the Sol tower to the left when you're in the grasslands but actually they shifted it to the right this time around. Just keep yourself to the right and you should see the Sols location in no time.

• LEVEL 2-3:

This Sol tower is located while you're flying along the dock area, you'll see it near the top right corner of your screen. Its past the bridge so keep your eyes open!

• LEVEL 2-4:

This level's Sol tower is located further along the level, you should be able to spot it easily if you fly around and inspect the area carefully.

• LEVEL 2-5:

Ok I had trouble here. I thought that the Sol tower remained the same when you're on the huge asteroid but in fact they moved it farther up. Keep on flying but when you reach an area which has 3 turrets near the left of your screen, fly over there immediately! Take out the turrets and hover over the tower located there. It blends in really well, sneaky huh?

• LEVEL 2-6:

Fortunately for everybody, this Sol tower was kept in the same exact place. It's really right in front of your face as you're flying so you can't miss it.

• LEVEL 2-7: 

And the final Sol tower. In the video, it showed the Sol tower in the middle of that huge ship.. well its not actually there this time but they did move it up a bit and it's still rather easy to catch if you keep your eyes peeled. Destroy it, and rescue the last Mikla and you got yourself 2 shiny new silver and gold trophies!

Well I hope that helped you guys out who are still searching for these towers/Miklas some! I would make a video but I have no capture software yet. Have fun!

Edited by Cielle
  • Like 2

I just found all Sols Towers/Miklas today. Figured I would try to point you guys in the right direction.

Keep in mind I was doing this on 2-1 to 2-7 but they should still be the same. First of all, the Sol towers look like gray pyramids like one of the videos Zanzarro posted. All you have to do is hover over them for a little bit and then blast away at the Sols tower to go rescue the Mikla afterwards.

• LEVEL 2-1:

The Sol tower is located right next to the exploding oil container right before the boss. One of the easier ones to spot. 

• LEVEL 2-2:

The video shows the Sol tower to the left when you're in the grasslands but actually they shifted it to the right this time around. Just keep yourself to the right and you should see the Sols location in no time.

• LEVEL 2-3:

This Sol tower is located while you're flying along the dock area, you'll see it near the top right corner of your screen. Its past the bridge so keep your eyes open!

• LEVEL 2-4:

This level's Sol tower is located along further along the level, you should be able to spot it easily if you fly around and inspect the area carefully.

• LEVEL 2-5:

Ok I had trouble here. I thought that the Sol tower remained the same when you're on the huge asteroid but in fact they moved it farther up. Keep on flying but when you reach an area which has 3 turrets near the left of your screen, fly over there immediately! Take out the turrets and hover over the tower located there. It blends in really well, sneaky huh?

• LEVEL 2-6:

Fortunately for everybody, this Sol tower was kept in the same exact place. It's really right in front of your face as you're flying so you can't miss it.

• LEVEL 2-7: 

And the final Sol tower. In the video, it showed the Sol tower in the middle of that huge ship.. well its not actually there this time but they did move it up a bit and it's still rather easy to catch if you keep your eyes peeled. Destroy it, and rescue the last Mikla and you got yourself 2 shiny new silver and gold trophies!

Well I hope that helped you guys out who are still searching for these towers/Miklas some! I would make a video but I have no capture software yet. Have fun!

THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!! :lol:

• Like 1

THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!! :lol:

No problem. :P I'm going to go get the level 1-4/2-4 1-UP here shortly. Also if you know where the 2-7 tower is, you can get the trophy for all destruction rate in that level. Idk if it counts if you shoot the tower in 1-7 and do it that way.

I also made it to around 700 meteors when I was on that special mission so I think I can get that trophy soon. 

Here's a vid for the locations in case my directions don't cut it.

Add this to the OP when you get a chance Zanzarro!

Edited by Cielle
  • Like 2

No problem. :P I'm going to go get the level 1-4/2-4 1-UP here shortly. Also if you know where the 2-7 tower is, you can get the trophy for all destruction rate in that level. Idk if it counts if you shoot the tower in 1-7 and do it that way.

I also made it to around 700 meteors when I was on that special mission so I think I can get that trophy soon. 

Here's a vid for the locations in case my directions don't cut it.

Add this to the OP when you get a chance Zanzarro!

Thank you Cielle for the work! sorry for late post xD 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just got all weapon trophies. Tips I can offer: Do not die on the left side of the screen like Thanato's guide says. You'll get forced onto a power up and hopefully its a power up you want.

I recommend H-Missiles for the purple weapons; Plasma and Proton. Regular Missiles are the best combo for Vulcan and the Laser. Also make sure you keep firing to keep any power ups off of you if you don't want any at that moment, stop firing when it turns the color you want for your current run.

Next up is Boss Rush. >___< Fun times.

Edited by Cielle
  • Like 1

Just got all weapon trophies. Tips I can offer: Do not die on the left side of the screen like Thanato's guide says. You'll get forced onto a power up and hopefully its a power up you want.

I recommend H-Missiles for the purple weapons; Plasma and Proton. Regular Missiles are the best combo for Vulcan and the Laser. Also make sure you keep firing to keep any power ups off of you if you don't want any at that moment, stop firing when it turns the color you want for your current run.

Next up is Boss Rush. >___< Fun times.

H missiles is also good with Vulcan. In some areas when crowded with small ships you definitely need it. Especially 1st part on stage 5, its crazy there.

• 4 weeks later...

The beginning of stage 5 isn't so bad, I have more problems during the meteorite planet and on level 6 where the horrible colour of the map after the warships makes hard see all bullets, at least for me, I used around 4 bombs there in my 1cc Very Hard 2nd loop, however I think that the hardest thing to do is the double play run, I have some problems to keep merged the 2 ships...isn't there an easier tactic? I red that you can keep one ship in the corner, but it sounds too easy to be real.

Edited by VirtualNight

The beginning of stage 5 isn't so bad, I have more problems during the meteorite planet and on level 6 where the horrible colour of the map after the warships makes hard see all bullets, at least for me, I used around 4 bombs there in my 1cc Very Hard 2nd loop, however I think that the hardest thing to do is the double play run, I have some problems to keep merged the 2 ships...isn't there an easier tactic? I red that you can keep one ship in the corner, but it sounds too easy to be real.

You still need to move the 2nd ship. And keeping it in the corner against a boss, will most likely kill you instantly lol.

I say stick with the merge 2 ships. 

You still need to move the 2nd ship. And keeping it in the corner against a boss, will most likely kill you instantly lol.

I say stick with the merge 2 ships. 

What Dpatriot says is true. Keep practicing the merge tactic and you should eventually get the hang of it. No easy way out, sadly.

Zanzarro also recommended me to finish all 1CC before trying double play. Perhaps that would help?

Edited by Lord_of_Ra

So I need only this double play run, what I notice is that the red ship moves always more on right or left than the blue ship, I thought it was a problem with my pad so I tried with my others 3 but nothing changes, I don't think that I'm moving my left thumb a half second before the right one because I feel the contact with the 2 sticks always at the same time.

Anyone knows a trick on how keep a pad or, eventually, 2 pads to make this run little easier? it looks impossible use the pause and move the blue ship with the same thumb without make the desynchronization between the 2 ships.

I thnik I'll do this run without the pause, which is exactly what is making the worst problem.

Edited by VirtualNight

• 2 weeks later...

It's over.

I want to share my strategy for the Double play run, only for noobs like me, for others you can surely save several bombs.

Firstly, no pause-exploit, after those full 4 1CC runs you can surely do the Normal run without the pause.

So, Thanathos is good in shmup, I'm not, so I had to find how can pass all those levels on my way.

If I was going in a point with 0 bombs where I knew I was going to die, I just placed one ship on top to get all 7 bombs again for 1 life, this is very important otherwise you may lose 2 lifes at once.

I switched weapons for bossess, I recommend you to do it, if you need to get a weapon just shoot with one ship and don't shoot with the other so that the weapon will reach you.

Go close to bosses when you use a bomb.

Level 1: I used one bomb when there is the first tank with other enemies, for the boss I used another bomb during the second phase when I had to go back, this because the level gives you 2 bombs from enemies so you can use 2.

Level 2: one bomb against the mini-boss when you go away from the city during the waves of yellow bullets, they always gave me some problems, then be sure when you fight the 2 small turrets on the bridge (or whatever it is) that shoot the red spikes to stay in the middle to get automaticaly the CORRECT bomb.

For the boss, 2nd phase, when the 2 bossess shoot the yellow bullets use a bomb and get the bomb that should be at that moment below you (so you should have 7 bombs).

During the last phase I used 2 bombs, one after avoiding the red bullets for the next attack, and another bomb for the next attack, during both explosions go close to the boss so it'll die.

Level 3: no bombs used before the red small tanks where you are totally surrounded by bullets but you can use 2 or 3 bombs before if you have problems, because if you are a noob like me then it is not really important.

Don't use a bomb before the boss, you can avoid all those enemies if you are on left corner when the 2 big ships come, just move jerky to the right and when you reach the corner go up.

Boss: now, you must have at least 3 bombs, use them everytime that the boss shoot those yellow bullets and move jerky during the spikes as you surely know.

Second and third phase are easy and won't require bombs.

4th phase: now, when the boss uses the vertical spikes, stay on the left from where is easy avoid the orange bullets, then if you have 0 bombs immediately go up and die to get the bombs and use one for the attack which is incoming, use others 2 if you need them (like I did).

Level 3-M1: I used one bomb when the big ship appeared, if you have less than 3 bombs, I recommend you to suicide because with 2 is risky and you may die twice, but with 2 you can suicide later of course, during the second big ship.

After the suicide, I used 2 bombs when you are between the second big ship, one when you see the tank on the left and another to get the fairies on the right (the first one isn't necessary but I wouldn't risk), then I used 2 bombs, one to go to the 2 ships with fairies and another when I reached them because there are more enemies which may shoot on you (2 bombs got from the enemies).

At the end I used one bomb (reward 2 bombs and 1UP).

Level 4: this is a tough one, you must know where the enemies are.

I used one bomb at the beginning when come all those ships with red spikes.

I used 3 bombs (but I had to do, you may use 2 or 1) in the next part, the one necessary is with the 3 tanks.

I used one bomb during the 2 spiders when they shoot the red bullets and I came close to kill the one on the right.

Another bomb during the mines when I was going to get hit, got 2 bombs from enemies.

Boss: now, during the 1st phase you don't need bombs if you have 2 lasers which should kill the 2 bossess before they start the first very tough attack.

Second phase, here I used one bomb for the 1st attack, then another when I went on the left to avoid those red spikes when there was a free to go on right (on single is easy but on double it isn't), then while going on the right when the explosion ended I suicided (0 bombs left) with one ship and bombed my way for all the next attacks except when there was 1 boss left.

Level 5: no particular tips, I used a bomb whenever I was going to die, I used 2 bombs during the last big ship before the boss when there are lots of bullets and here I died once.

Boss: I used one bomb during the red bullets.

Second phase, one bomb during the attack, another to go on the right, if you have 1 bomb left then suicide before the turrets will start to rotate and use 2 bombs as you know to destroy them all

Level5-M2: don't be idiot and play safely, I used pause-exploit once during the enemy that shoots those rows of yellow bullets to avoid them safely (that bastard killed me around 10 times so use the pause when it shoots).

Stay close to the point where the others 2 of them will spawn later.

No boms used.

Level 6: for the warships I used one ship with the Plasma cannon, so I needed only 2 bombs for them.

Boss: one bomb during the 1st phase after the first series of yellow bullets, the rest follow thanathos guide

Level 7: again, like in level 6, use bombs when you need. I used 2 during those 2 rotating things with red bullets and others 2 later for those multiple small turrest.

Boss: if you have 4 bombs and 1 life you are fucked (again, if you are a noob like me) so you must have at least 6 bombs or 2 lifes, but surely you must try.

During the 1st phase I used 4 bombs, but because I had 2 lifes so I bombed almost all the time, but just 2 bombs are necessary, during the multiple orange bullets only.

Final phase, all attacks are a true challenge so you need at least 3 bombs, one during every attack, go always close to the boss otherwise it may shoot few bullets before dying.

• Like 1

It's over.

I want to share my strategy for the Double play run, only for noobs like me, for others you can surely save several bombs.

Firstly, no pause-exploit, after those full 4 1CC runs you can surely do the Normal run without the pause.

So, Thanathos is good in shmup, I'm not, so I had to find how can pass all those levels on my way.

If I was going in a point with 0 bombs where I knew I was going to die, I just placed one ship on top to get all 7 bombs again for 1 life, this is very important otherwise you may lose 2 lifes at once.

I switched weapons for bossess, I recommend you to do it, if you need to get a weapon just shoot with one ship and don't shoot with the other so that the weapon will reach you.

Level 1: I used one bomb when there is the first tank with other enemies, for the boss I used another bomb during the second phase when I had to go back, this because the level gives you 2 bombs from enemies so you can use 2.

Level 2: one bomb against the mini-boss when you go away from the city during the waves of yellow bullets, they always gave me some problems, then be sure when you fight the 2 small turrets on the bridge (or whatever it is) that shoot the red spikes to stay in the middle to get automaticaly the CORRECT bomb.

For the boss, 2nd phase, when the 2 bossess shoot the yellow bullets use a bomb and get the bomb that should be at that moment below you (so you should have 7 bombs).

During the last phase I used 2 bombs, one after avoiding the red bullets for the next attack, and another bomb for the next attack, during both explosions go close to the boss so it'll die.

Level 3: no bombs used before the red small tanks where you are totally surrounded by bullets but you can use 2 or 3 bombs before if you have problems, because if you are a noob like me then it is not really important.

Don't use a bomb before the boss, you can avoid all those enemies if you are on left corner when the 2 big ships come, just move jerky to the right and when you reach the corner go up.

Boss: now, you must have at least 3 bombs, use them everytime that the boss shoot those yellow bullets and move jerky during the spikes as you surely know.

4th phase: now, when the boss uses the vertical spikes, stay on the left from where is easy avoid the orange bullets, then if you have 0 bombs immediately go up and die to get the bombs and use one for the attack which is incoming, use others 2 if you need them (like I did).

Level 3-M1: I used one bomb when the big ship appeared, if you have less than 3 bombs, I recommend you to suicide because with 2 is risky and you may die twice, but with 2 you can suicide later of course, during the second big ship.

After the suicide, I used 2 bombs when you are between the second big ship, one when you see the tank on the left and another to get the fairies on the right (the first one isn't necessary but I wouldn't risk), then I used 2 bombs, one to go to the 2 ships with fairies and another when I reached them because there are more enemies which may shoot on you (2 bombs got from the enemies).

I used 3 bombs (but I had to do, you may use 2 or 1) in the next part, the one necessary is with the 3 tanks.

I used one bomb during the 2 spiders when they shoot the red bullets and I came close to kill the one on the right.

Another bomb during the mines when I was going to get hit, got 2 bombs from enemies.

Boss: now, during the 1st phase you don't need bombs if you have 2 lasers which should kill the 2 bossess before they start the first very tough attack.

Second phase, here I used one bomb for the 1st attack, then another when I went on the left to avoid those red spikes when there was a free to go on right (on single is easy but on double it isn't), then while going on the right when the explosion ended I suicided (0 bombs left) with one ship and bombed my way for all the next attacks except when there was 1 boss left.

Level 5: no particular tips, I used a bomb whenever I was going to die, I used 2 bombs during the last big ship before the boss when there are lots of bullets and here I died once.

Second phase, one bomb during the attack, another to go on the right, if you have 1 bomb left then suicide before the turrets will start to rotate and use 2 bombs as you know to destroy them all

Level5-M2: don't be idiot and play safely, I used pause-exploit once during the enemy that shoots those rows of yellow bullets to avoid them safely (that bastard killed me around 10 times so use the pause when it shoots).

No boms used.

Level 6: for the warships I used one ship with the Plasma cannon, so I needed only 2 bombs for them.

Boss: one bomb during the 1st phase after the first series of yellow bullets, the rest follow thanathos guide

Level 7: again, like in level 6, use bombs when you need. I used 2 during those 2 rotating things with red bullets and others 2 later for those multiple small turrest.

Boss: if you have 4 bombs and 1 life you are fucked (again, if you are a noob like me) so you must have at least 6 bombs or 2 lifes, but surely you must try.

During the 1st phase I used 4 bombs, but because I had 2 lifes so I bombed almost all the time, but just 2 bombs are necessary, during the multiple orange bullets only.

Final phase, all attacks are a true challenge so you need at least 3 bombs, one during every attack, go always close to the boss otherwise it may shoot few bullets before dying.

Holy crap congrats dude.

I'm trying to do all the game legit and I'll try to find any further strategies. But for now, thx for sharing this. I'll ask Zanzarro to add it to OP.

Again, congrats for getting this beast.

It's over.

No boms used.

Congratz mate, well done.

Now do Darius, ive been told its harder than Raiden IV :D

Edited by DPatriot
  • Like 1