Street Fighter V Brings Genuinely Meaningful Changes to the Formula

Lovejinder_LJ

You might think that Street Fighter V looks like a retread of Street Fighter IV, but that couldn't be further from the truth. You need only play the game for a short few moments to realise that Capcom has taken all of the series' most iconic characters and reworked them from the ground up, confounding the usual expectations you might have for each, with new twists on certain moves and distinctive new traits for the likes of Ken, Ryu, M. Bison, Vega et al.

New additions like Necalli also represent an entirely fresh challenge, with his V-Trigger transforming him visually (his glowing orange locks are a sight to behold) while simultaneously boosting his strength with enhanced versions of his move set.

med_06_Jump_Kick.jpeg

Every one of the fighters we've sampled in Street Fighter V thus far feels completely unique, whether it's Vega and his affinity for stringing together combos and dominating the aerial space of a stage, or Ken's focus on aggression, with his hurricane kick tweaked to deliver devastating overhead damage and his dragon punch still as dangerous as it's ever been.

M. Bison loses range thanks to the absence of his Psycho Crusher, but what he loses in being able to cover the distance of the screen, he gains in damaging close-quarters attacks that punish players that dare to venture too near.

Vega is currently what Capcom calls a 'normal' character now too, no longer making use of charged moves like the character has since Street Fighter II. It seems that only Bison and Chun-Li retain some of their original inputs, while the rest utilise intuitive d-pad/joystick rolls usually associated with the fireball chucking fighters.

med_SFV_screens_02_Overhead.jpg

This is all still in the process of being finalised, so it's entirely possible that Vega could return to his original setup, especially if fans are none too keen on the decision. Vega also retains his ability to perform off-the-wall moves, while leaping from on high, brandishing his trademark claw continues to define the Spanish character's identity, even if his jumping is rather on the floaty side, leaving him slightly vulnerable a little too often. He could be a fighter that demands time and effort to master.

By comparison, Ken feels entirely familiar – despite the divisive new look – with his powerful flaming dragon punch and a V-Trigger that amplifies his fiery moves. As already mentioned, he plays to the strengths of players who favour an aggressive approach, although there are still plenty of instances whereby Ken can be left open to counters; usually when a misjudged dragon punch misses its mark or is blocked, as ever.

Necalli, meanwhile, is a beefed-up brawler whose surfeit of power is dampened by a relative lack of range. His moves are primarily centred around shoulder barges and close-range strikes, so a smart, offensive strategy seems to work best for the red-haired warrior, whose 'likes' according to his profile are 'N/A'. Miserable sod. Still, as new fighters are concerned, Necalli is a welcome addition who will undoubtedly have his fans (and detractors too, we imagine) once enough players get to grips with him.

med_11_vtrigger.jpg

We've already enjoyed extensive hands-on time with Ryu, Chun-Li, M. Bison, Cammy and Birdie, alongside whom the newest roster additions slot in seamlessly alongside. It bodes well for Street Fighter V's long-term prospects, especially given the benefits that the upcoming beta will have on balancing and refining the whole thing ahead of the game's full release in early 2016.

Long time Street Fighter IV fans will enjoy the familiarity of the EX meter and the enhanced moves attached to that, as well as the spectacular Critical Arts finishers that once again see the screen erupting in a riot of bright yellow and orange. The V-Trigger system replaces Ultras, but adds a tactical bent to Street Fighter V that can turn the tide, ensuring that Capcom's latest stab at SF is so much more than a mere iteration over Street Fighter IV. It's a whole new (fire)ball game.

Street Fighter V will be heading to PS4 and PC in April 2016.

Source: Playstationtrophies.org

• Like 2

I hope Nash gets a Wesker costume, complete with trench coat, half gloves and a red laser eye behind dark glasses.

Wow. I never realised how much I actually wanted this. I'd like to see an alternate Guile costume for Nash if Guile isn't added to the roster. 

Wow. I never realised how much I actually wanted this. I'd like to see an alternate Guile costume for Nash if Guile isn't added to the roster. 

Well, the only time they've kicked Guile in favor of Charlie is in the Alpha series. But seeing as they both play similar, but they're different sides of the same coin, I think there's a 50/50 chance we'll see Guile in V.

• Like 1