Mortal Kombat X for the PS3 has been officially cancelled.

I'd rather they just make the decision sooner, I mean how long did it really take them to realise you know what this isn't going to work.

I'd be wary of a dev teams competence if it took this long to realise a game looks like shit. They should've been working on this game for ages and hopefully not just randomly trying to put something together after it launched on current gen machines.

I don't think it's as easy as this.

It's not like they develop several games at the same time. It's one game they develop, and then just downgrade a little to make it run on older gen consoles too. This doesn't mean it would look like shit, unless you think the previous games etc did. Of course they can run fighting games just fine on PS3. The problem is more likely that they've introduced new features that just didn't work as well on the older consoles. I don't think by quality they meant the graphics, but new things that they've made during the development that they really wanted to have in the game, that makes the game what it is, that simply couldn't run on older consoles. When you get to a point in the development of the game where you see you no longer can make this game run the way you want on older consoles, you have probably already tried to make some sacrifices and done your best to get it to run properly, but at this point you have to make the decision to either drop the features or drop support for older consoles.