Congrats Australia (R18+) Rating Law Passed!

HeySumbode

Via Destructoid

Ladies and gentlemen, it finally happened! Australia has finally approved an R18+ age rating for videogames.

"The R 18+ category will inform consumers, parents and retailers about which games are not suitable for minors to play, and will prevent minors from purchasing unsuitable material," said home affairs minister Jason Clare, announcing the move. "The reforms also mean that adults are able to choose what games they play within the bounds of the law."

Before now, the oldest age attached to a game rating was fifteen, meaning that a lot of games suitable for adults were edited or refused classification. This new rating is to be made flesh next year (January 1st), and will hopefully allow a wider variety of games to hit shelves. That's the hope, anyway -- individual states need to approve and adopt the ruling, but it is a very good start!

I understand that this might be of significant meaning to the Aussie community here... Congrats guys...

Maybe now they will stop banning games down under.

hmmm.........I didn't realise that my missus was in control of gaming classification in Oz... :(

And with that rule being passed lots of mail order games sellers will go to the wall as the Aussies will be able to buy GTA5 etc at home. Probably....

About damn time now to wait for it to be implemented...

I'd also like to point out a few other things first of all previously banned games won't be instantly allowed they have to be resubmitted for classification so in a sense MK would still be banned for example. The other thing people import anyway due to prices when a new release game comes out anywhere from $80-100+ it is better importing especially with how many games actually come over or take their time good examples being BlazBlue and Catherine, they just have to work on the stupid pricing here now.

Well once it is implemented my locally purchased games might actually be more than at current 5/150...

• 2 weeks later...