How to get into pro gaming?

Tomoko Kuroki

Believe it or not, I only just recently found out about ESL, and I'm sure there's other's I don't know about, I haven't followed anything competitive wise other then LoL when I played it for a good 4 years. I'm curious about this for a few reasons. Curiosity, and maybe just attempt for the hell at it at a game like MKX. And a few months ago when I was still playing smite, I was in masters 1v1 playing against and winning 50% of the top against the top 50 players. I stopped playing for a few reasons but now I look on the ESL site and it shows there are "Cups" of 1v1 tournaments in smite.

Do all of these events pay? I just get so confused trying to follow sometimes, everytime I see a new tournament, usually in fighting games, it seems to always be a different name. Final round, ESL, TFC and I just get lost so I don't follow anything and just look at youtube ><

So anyways, where should I look at for pro gaming exactly. And do you usually win anything, I'm assuming just the top 3 which is fine because it's encouraging.

Are you looking to get into it as a fan or as a competitor? There's a big difference there.

For Street Fighter, you can check out shoryuken.com which should have a list of all upcoming tournaments. There currently aren't any "big" majors coming up this month as EVO just happened pretty recently. 

For Smash Bros., check out VGBootCamp or the smashbros subreddit. Next major tournament is Big House 5 next month.

As far as the other MOBAs go, I don't follow any aside from League. And there's pretty much nothing outside of the regional qualifiers for Korea and China until Worlds next month.

You're just looking to follow pro gaming.. not attend tournaments yourself? Since you seem interested in fighters; Shoryuken is a very good site to follow for information of upcoming tournaments and where you can watch them; some are pay to view if that's what you meant by "do these events pay".

Do all of these events pay?

Well you have to pay to enter; is that what you're referring to? 

I just get so confused trying to follow sometimes, everytime I see a new tournament, usually in fighting games, it seems to always be a different name. Final round, ESL, TFC and I just get lost so I don't follow anything and just look at youtube ><

If you really want to get in tournaments as a spectator and to have an idea when you actually enter one I suggest you go on Twitch.tv more often and get to know which are the usual live streamers for each genre and game.

For example: Teamsp00ky and the CapcomFightersChannel usally cover 1v1 Fighting game events such as EVO, SummerJam, NCR, Final Round.

Youtube mostly just has replays (which is always a good thing) where as Twitch you watch the whole thing live.

To keep track of all these events, the suggestions Scruffington made are mostly spot on. Can't really say about MOBAs or RTS on a competitive level I've tried to get into them in the past and I really have no interest in them anymore.

There currently aren't any "big" majors coming up this month as EVO just happened pretty recently.

*ahem*

First Attack 2015

I'll be entering my first tournament (the one I linked) and I honestly don't know what to expect or say on the matter. I'll probably get destroyed, who knows? But I'll have the experience, meet people and train harder for the next time. 

Learn from your mistakes, make new friends, build confidence and self-improvement this is what its all about.

And do you usually win anything, I'm assuming just the top 3 which is fine because it's encouraging.

Most of these events have prize money + Pot Bonuses, so yes.

Or games :awesome:

Rekt

Edited by Ramonachan
  • Like 2

Pro gaming sounds more like a chore then an enjoyment, but props to the ones that crush and win big bucks.

Pro gaming is only a chore when the companies running the tournaments and updating the game make it so. Outside of that, it's just like any other sport. People do it because they love it and they have a love of competition that drives them to be the best. 

*ahem*

First Attack 2015

I'll be entering my first tournament (the one I linked) and I honestly don't know what to expect or say on the matter. I'll probably get destroyed, who knows? But I'll have the experience, meet people and train harder for the next time. 

I actually thought FA was happening later this year. What top tier players are actually attending? 

Good luck btw. I'm not entirely sure if it's worth investing time into USF4 now with SF5 coming out soon. 

I actually thought FA was happening later this year. What top tier players are actually attending? 

Good luck btw. I'm not entirely sure if it's worth investing time into USF4 now with SF5 coming out soon. 

Most of team EG are gonna be there again, Pugera did a funding campaign, Sanford, DieMinion, Mike " Mike Ross" Ross, Combofiend, NuckleDu, Yipes, Snake Eyez, DR Ray. Infiltration (FUCK YES MUH BOI INFIL), Ranmasama, Chris G, 801 Strider, etc.

Yeah I know, but I've been playing the game for years now thought it'd be fun to at least enter one competitive event for it. :P

I hope to invest more time in the community and on SFV itself by the time its out and actually get into more events and small local tournaments.

Also thanks on the luck I'll need it. xD

Edited by Ramonachan

Do all of these events pay? I just get so confused trying to follow sometimes, everytime I see a new tournament, usually in fighting games, it seems to always be a different name. Final round, ESL, TFC and I just get lost so I don't follow anything and just look at youtube ><

You have to pay to enter, but if you win or place in the top 3 you'll make more than your money paid. Essentially, you are betting on yourself.

If you do decide to participate, good luck!

Most of team EG are gonna be there again, Pugera did a funding campaign, Sanford, DieMinion, Mike " Mike Ross" Ross, Combofiend, NuckleDu, Yipes, Snake Eyez, DR Ray. Infiltration (FUCK YES MUH BOI INFIL), Ranmasama, Chris G, 801 Strider, etc.

Yeah I know, but I've been playing the game for years now thought it'd be fun to at least enter one competitive event for it. :P

I hope to invest more time in the community and on SFV itself by the time its out and actually get into more events and small local tournaments.

Also thanks on the luck I'll need it. xD

Infiltration will probably take the whole thing. A little disappointing that there aren't really any top Japanese or Korean players there, but it makes a bit of sense considering many of the top pros already have their spots in the Capcom Cup secured. I might watch top 8 though.

Funny how this once again went into Vita joke category xD

Well, what you need the most is... playing on PC, I guess.

Unless you want to give SF tournaments a shot, that is... Because I don't know if there are any more PS pro-gaming games...

As for SF, I think there was a thread here somewhere about getting better at fighters.

Or games :awesome:

31301d1390196050-january-2014-focus-st-m

Come again?  :D 

PS+Vita+AAA+Games+List+Shahid.jpg

Bleh, AAA titles :P

Edited by Satoshi Ookami
  • Like 4

So anyways, where should I look at for pro gaming exactly. And do you usually win anything, I'm assuming just the top 3 which is fine because it's encouraging.

The only competition I've ever entered was a pokemon diamond/pearl competition and won pokemon battle revolution. My brother's entered a few Smash competitions and he usually only wins plushies and occasionally t-shirts. The competitions we entered were free ones though. I would think anything where you pay to participate would give money prizes.

Come again?  :D 

PS+Vita+AAA+Games+List+Shahid.jpg

ibhx9uR.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies and info.

For example: Teamsp00ky and the CapcomFightersChannel usally cover 1v1 Fighting game events such as EVO, SummerJam, NCR, Final Round.

I looked at team spooky but they seem to post schedules and stuff like a few hours or a day before the actual event, maybe I'm not looking right ? I'd like to know at least a week in advance.