Search Bar for Trophies

Hemiak
Go to solution Solved by BlindMango,

Hello again,

I was thinking it might be nice to have a search bar on the Trophies link.  As it stands it takes forever to find a certain word or title, especially if it's not the first word in the Trophy name.  I think adding a search bar, just like at the top of the Games page, would be helpful.  I know a big site update is coming and I'm excited to see it.  I just figured this would be a small update (once that's up and running) that could make finding certain trophies a little easier.

The site only has the built in ability to move by 50 pages at a time.  So as it stands, the fastest way to find a bunch of trophies that have a specific word is: Go to the trophy page, alphabetize them, then add ( = ####  ) to your URL, and increase it by 500 or so, until you get close enough to narrow it down with smaller increments.  This also only really works if the Trophy starts with that word.

Some people might ask "Why would anyone in their right mind care about this!?!?".  Say it's Halloween and you want all your cabinet trophies to have dead in the title, or your name is Bullet-Master50000 (there isn't one btw) and you want your cabinet trophies to have Bullet in the title.  I don't know why any one specific person wants this, but I guarantee someone is out their nodding his/her head.

I've said this before and I'll say it again - It's because this site is so well made and awesome that we get to nit-pick over tiny stuff like this. Will it truly hurt the site and ruin my experience if this doesn't get implemented?  Not in the slightest, but it could add just that little bit of extra functionality that would make a very small portion of the site population happy.

Thank you for your consideration.  

Hem

• Like 4

I remember not long ago, Akira posted a status update talking about so many shopaholic trophies she lost count and I spent like 7 minutes changing the number page until I found them (there were 27, I think?). If we had this feature, that would have been SOOO much faster.

I also searched for a trophy one time to start an event, similar to platinum rain, off. I wanted it to be the very first trophy on the event starting day. I ultimately chose "and so it begins" from xcom ;)

Some people might ask "Why would anyone in their right mind care about this!?!?".  Say it's Halloween and you want all your cabinet trophies to have dead in the title, or your name is Bullet-Master50000 (there isn't one btw) and you want your cabinet trophies to have Bullet in the title.  I don't know why any one specific person wants this, but I guarantee someone is out their nodding his/her head.

I agree, I proposed this revolutionary idea a little more than a year ago, Sly should implement this :P

or you could go all "let me google that for you" on this one:

Trophies that contain "dead"

Trophies that contain "bullet"

Trophies that contain "shopaholic"

;)

Some people might ask "Why would anyone in their right mind care about this!?!?".  Say it's Halloween and you want all your cabinet trophies to have dead in the title, or your name is Bullet-Master50000 (there isn't one btw) and you want your cabinet trophies to have Bullet in the title.  

In that case, say to "Bullet-Master50000" that he will have to complete Bullet Girls :awesome:

I agree, I proposed this revolutionary idea a little more than a year ago, Sly should implement this :P

I guess we all know why this was never implemented: 

You've gone too far this time Mango. TOO FAR  :angry: I swear by my Tony Hawk RIDE platinum I will use all my power and influence to see that you never get your search bar.

Mark this day in history because as of now you have made a powerful enemy.

If I had to blame anyone for this not happening yet, it would be Dr_Mayus.

• Like 1

Damn it, I went through all the forum threads, how did I miss this. I seriously typed in 'search trophies' and didn't see this

I can guarantee you that I'm not nodding my head right now.

I didn't say everyone would, but there are people who would use this. It's definitely bit in every day feature, but some would use this relatively often.

or you could go all "let me google that for you" on this one: Trophies that contain "dead"Trophies that contain "bullet"Trophies that contain "shopaholic" ;)

You realize that none of those do anything like what BlindMango and I are proposing right? Maybe I'm not understanding what you're trying to say. Edited by Hemiak

You realize that none of those do anything like what BlindMango and I are proposing right? Maybe I'm not understanding what you're trying to say.

what? they are doing EXACTLY what you want to achieve... search a specific trophy by its name.

you wanted to find a trophy that has a specific term in its name, for example "dead". so you use the first link: https://www.google.de/#q=allinurl:dead+site:psnprofiles.com%2Ftrophy

and you get a list of trophies that have "dead" in the title... first search result for me is the "The Quick and the Dead" trophy from "The Evil Within": https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/2978-The-Evil-Within/30-The-Quick-and-the-Dead

of course it's not as fancy or integrated as a search in the PSNP Trophy section would be, but it would definitely do what you asked, without clicking through hundreds of trophy pages.

snip.

Ah, I thought you meant just go to google and type in 'trophies with the word xxxxx'. I didn't realize you had added the modifier to search psnp specifically. That would definitely return the correct results but it would still be harder to comb through all the google results than to look at the alphabetized list of trophy names on everybody's favorite site. :D

Anyway, BlindMango is on top of this so in going to mark this completely erroneous request solved and move on.

Edited by Hemiak

[...] I didn't realize you had added the modifier to search psnp specifically. That would definitely return the correct results but it would still be harder to comb through all the google results than to look at the alphabetized list of trophy names on everybody's favorite site. :D

[...]

well, not only to search psnp specifically but only the "trophy" subsection of psnp and only where there is the given query (like "dead") in the trophy name! so you'll get only matching results from the very beginning. you don't really have to comb through anything if you are only searching for ANY trophy with the word in it. just take the very first result!

be that as it may, a search function here on PSNP would definitely the way to go. i just wanted to show you a quick and easy way to do what you want to do in the meantime ;)

I was searching in the feedback header and must have just overlooked the one thing that actually matched my search criteria. :/

Never knew, I'm sorry, first day here on the forums. :C

The more you know, though...

Also, if you navigate into a specific sub-forum and search it'll only check the one you're in. Edited by Hemiak
  • Like 1