How do you feel about online trophies?

FawltyPowers

Right from the beginning I’ve never liked online trophies. I’ve completed quite a few games now with various online requirements and although I’ve met some good people along the way the actual trophies are for the most part unenjoyable and tedious. Here are the principle reasons I don’t like them, starting with the worst of the lot

Unobtainable Trophies from Server shutdowns

Every game, no matter how old, should have the ability to reach 100% trophy completion. There is nothing more frustrating than having a list of trophies and realising you cannot complete them. You shouldn’t have to look up game guides and the respective server status prior to playing a game, furthermore there are many people including myself who would like to play a game but won’t go near it if it has unobtainable trophies as it would affect completion statistics.

Legitimate Trophy Earners (skilled) vs Boosters (next to no skill)

When completing a game offline the difficult / grind / luck trophies all have to be completed by you, if you do it then it’s something you can be proud about and everyone knows you have had the skill to have completed them. Online trophies are different, let’s take Kingpin on Red Dead Redemption. If you achieved this trophy legitimately then I have huge respect as it takes skill and even more than that luck, however if you boost it then it can be completed in a matter of minutes as everyone groups together and then gets killed. The only skill involved being to get the boosting group together in the first place. There’s no way of knowing if a trophy has been earned legitimately in the spirit it was created, therefore they hold next to no value.

The grind

The tedious part. A game comes out with online trophies, a guide comes out giving you details of the fastest route to achieve the trophies, you get a boosting group and achieve the miscellaneous trophies and then onto the grind. Uncharted 2 – pull down method for 2500 kills 50-49 wins. Uncharted 3, hours upon hours of matchmaking F2, F3, BO (the memories, shudder). Bioshock 2 – alternate hacking turret for 20 hours. F.E.A.R. 2 – 180 hours of walking backwards and forwards to raise XP at the final control point and that’s with boosting! Annoying, pointless and in the end you hate the game you had once enjoyed.

Playing the game: Trophy Hunters vs Boosters

I really feel for the genuine players who play online for the fun of playing online and their world collides with the trophy hunter who can only complete trophies in a public match. They just want to kill / have fun / show off their skills, the trophy hunter has specific requirements they need to fulfil. Bad language is exchanged, messages sent and game kicking ensues. This is not enjoyable for anyone and I’ve seen enough now to last me a lifetime.

DLC added trophies

These trophies can be frustrating. The main game can all be offline which suits many people that don’t like completing online trophies, then a DLC is released later containing online trophies, forcing people to play an online mode they really don’t want to complete 100%.

What there should have been:

World of Warcraft handles this perfectly in the form of Achievement points, the beauty of achievement points being the developer could update with new ones as and when, the more you have the greater the contribution to your ranking. You can also have a title for particularly tricky tasks. Achievements, Rank and Title could all appear on your profile along with Trophy Completion %. Having all this information visible could actually inspire more people to play online, raising their position and playing the game in the spirit it was meant.

For example:

Uncharted 3

Trophy Completion: 100%

Online Achievements: 63%

Title: Overseer

If the servers are taken offline you can view your final positioning on a leaderboard.

In short trophies should have been for offline play where they can only be achieved from your own merits at any time and have achievement points for online play. Keep the trophy hunters and the legitimate online players separate.

I know things are the way they are and they won’t change but what are your thoughts, do online trophies frustrate you? Are you an online player who gets annoyed with boosters, conversely does it frustrate you as a trophy hunter needing to fulfil online requirements amongst genuine players? Do you steer clear of games with online trophies?

• Like 1

The same way i feel about discussing topics we've already discussed to death, it's annyoing but unavoidable.

http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/25730-online-trophies-is-the-assholest-thing-ever-done-to-gamers/

Edit: Don't mean to disrespect i just wanted to make that joke.

Edited by HappyKastanie
  • Like 3

Online trophies? I'll take them as they come, they are as much of a challenge toward the platinum as the SP ones.

One thing really shakes my head is when someone buys a 2010 (or older!) game and complain about servers shutdown or that they are dead. If you really wanted to play something online, you should have done so near launch.

There are also cases like FC2 which was launched near the PS3 release and still have servers open. Everyone has the Ubisoft or the EA they deserve.

Online trophies? I'll take them as they come, they are as much of a challenge toward the platinum as the SP ones.

One thing really shakes my head is when someone buys a 2010 (or older!) game and complain about servers shutdown or that they are dead. If you really wanted to play something online, you should have done so near launch.

There are also cases like FC2 which was launched near the PS3 release and still have servers open. Everyone has the Ubisoft or the EA they deserve.

If you are playing online trophies and achieving them without boosting then I have a great respect for you. It's great as well to have the attitude of earning them if it happens.

You're right about old games, which is why I wrote what I did. I know to leave old games alone but to be honest that's not always the case. Some games have servers open for years, others are gone relatively quickly.

To others who only wished to post about the fact that this has been writeen before. I had a quick check first and didn't see the post you linked so apologies for that. I only asked for others opinions