effdeegee's Game A Day! (event finished)

Cast your vote for game #31!  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Cast your vote for game #31!

• Aliens vs Predator
    • Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate
    • Dead Island
    • Dead Nation
    • DOOM 3
    • Fallout New Vegas
    • Ghost Recon Future Soldier
    • Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing

Sunday, January 10th, 2016.

Lb728bd.png

Resident Evil 5 is next on the program. It's the first time I've played a Resident Evil game since Resident Evil 2, on the PlayStation; a game which almost literally scared me to death so, I was approaching with caution, to say the least. :ninja:

This game isn't too bad, honestly. Believable setting, decent graphics, sexy partner, passable, same ol' repeated story, meh voice acting, horrific controls...

Okay, this train doesn't seem to be headed anywhere near Pleasantville so, I think I should probably focus.

Oh. My. God. Tedious controls. There's no reload button? In order to reload, I have to open my inventory, scroll down and click on the box of bullets, scroll down and click "combine with" and then scroll down and click on my pistol? Every single time I want to manually reload?! :facepalm:

You would think that this is nothing new to me, because it was the same in RE2 but, in that game, it would also pause the game. In this game, you have to do it while the game is Live! In the middle of being swarmed by dozens of these ashy Ethiopians, who are clearly starving to dine on my nibbly bits, I have to stand still and frantically cycle through tiny menus in order to ask my less-than-helpful sexual interest to please pass the bullets at the dinner table. :angry:

And whose idea was it to map the run and camera control to the same thumb because I would greatly desire to have 20 minutes alone in a room with that person. You have to choose between walking at a snail's pace, with full camera control, or sprinting and only knowing what's immediately in front of you AND TO TOP OFF THIS SHIT SUNDAE you can't move and shoot at the same time!!! So every time you're swarmed, you have to sit perfectly still to just to attack the constantly advancing enemies! :jaymon:

This game is absolutely loaded to the gills with moments that make your asshole pucker in fear, but it's not because the game is scary; it's because the clunky, sluggish, unintuitive control scheme constantly handcuffs you to nerve wracking, fight or flight situations. <_<

It could have been a near perfect game if it weren't for the controls.

On a lighter note; it's now the 10th of January so, that means I'm 33% done with this nerve-whittling trifle of an experience. :yay:

Edited by effdeegee
  • Like 1

I played RE1-3 So many times. I loved those games. I somehow missed playing #4 and then was really excited when I purchased #5. I had almost the exact same complaints you did. Sheva is a moron and the controls are abysmal. Hopefully some of the games you have coming up will be more enjoyable. 

• Like 1

I seriously think, I'm the only person alive who enjoyed RE5. RE4 was way better and you guys should check it out one day. As far as manual reload, if you're aiming down the sight and press square I believe, it will reload or maybe I'm remembering a different game.

Tuesday, January 12th, 2016.

L1755dc.png

I can tell you all right now; it's not going to win any awards for its cutscene graphics and lip animations, but it's definitely not the nightmare that random people make it out to be.

Beneath the mountain of critical halfwit judgements lies a deceptively deep RPG, with lots of loot, potions, weapons, armour, side quests and dialogue to accompany this fairly decent story. :)

I was really busy today, so I was only limited to a few hours of playtime, but I rather enjoyed my time getting a grasp on the surprisingly intricate combat system and reading about all of my collected items.

Yet another flash sale win pour moi. :D

Interesting side note: it's the first time in 4 years that my completion percentage has been below 95%. That was quite the odd feeling to see the stat change. :jaymon:

Edited by effdeegee
  • Like 2

I can tell you all right now; it's not going to win any awards for it's cutscene graphics and lip animations, but it's definitely not the nightmare that random people make it out to be.

I am so glad you enjoyed this one! I don't understand the hate it gets, either...

It's not open world, but it's fun, and the story is strong. It's also true to the Game of Thrones world, especially the ending.

(Make sure you save before choosing whose story to complete, so your can try the other. I forget which chapter, 7 maybe, but it had a cut scene of one character, then the other, going through their motivations before heading to the capital. You pick one, and the game has a check to see if you are ready to proceed. Make sure you have a save point!)

• Like 1

I seriously think, I'm the only person alive who enjoyed RE5. RE4 was way better and you guys should check it out one day. As far as manual reload, if you're aiming down the sight and press square I believe, it will reload or maybe I'm remembering a different game.

It's one of the best games I've played coop (with a friend). 

@effdeegee, just aim and press X to reload  :l1:  :cross: , no need to go the inventory combining stuff. I never had to do that but I can only imagine the game being worse if i had to go to the inventory to reload  :huh:

• Like 1

Thursday, January 14th, 2016.

L39cfb9.png

Well, this week just keeps getting better. Yet another first person stealth game is next on the menu, this time with a heavy dose of cover based shooting and improvements on most of the qualities mentioned previously in the Dishonored review.

Improvements in story, graphics and stealth mechanics. Par with level design, voice acting (except the main protagonist's ridiculous voice) and loot. Sub par in dialogue animations and controls.

The story about mankind having mechanical parts to improve the quality of life is very interesting and believable. On one side is the military trying to make super soldiers, while the other side has protesters declaring it's unnatural, immoral and could be exploited.

The graphics are crisp and detailed but, seeing as how all of the levels are office buildings and city streets, it's not exactly revolutionary and pretty hard to screw up.

The stealth is some of the best I've ever played. Even on easy, these guards will see you poke your head out from across the room and their investigating habits feel real. There are no questions with regards to line of sight and realism.

The majority of the NPC voice acting is delivered beyond superbly, but it's always immediately met with the most cringe worthy responses ever, made by your character doing his best Clint Eastwood-esque, super gristly, Bale Batman Jr., sore throat, nighttime, sniffling, sneezing, achy head, in need of a labotomy, cough medicine, impression. It also doesn't help that conversations always look like they're happening between two marionette dolls being controlled by someone with the shakes.

The game falters the hardest when it offers its controls for the meat and potatoes of the experience, cover based shooting.

How is that, after a bazillion years of playing first person shooters, we still manage to get these developers that want to be an annoying little snowflake and brainstorm their own convoluted controls for shooting a gun. When did L1 to aim, R1 to fire become such an abomination?

Now L1 is enter cover, push a direction on L3 to lean out of cover, with a further option to continue to hold the direction and completely dangle your body all the way out of your cover (and FYI, there's no way to tell if you're in a "regular" cover, or a "hang your whole body out" cover, so you'll be surprised a lot when you just wanna take a peek and instead, flamboyantly sprawl right out in glittery pink hot shorts, going "Hey there, Sailors!"), click down on R3 to aim and :| Seriously?

Anyways. Serenity now. It's not really that bad. Just very odd to get used to the first time.

The game is still a win for sure.

Edited by effdeegee
  • Like 3

Friday, January 15th, 2016.

L7c1c15.png

Okay, bear with me here while I gather my thoughts.

First, I'll say that I am a total sucker for war and the older, the better. Anything pre-Vietnam or Korean Wars (both awesome, btw) and you're making me randy. Romans/Troy/Alexander the Great (although also awesome) and you're getting back a bit too far. Desert Storm/Iraq/Afghanistan are lame and way too recent. I dig Revolutionary/Civil and WWI/WWII. Those are the two sweet spots.

Second, I'll say that I haven't played a war game since MoH Underground on the PS1 and I've never played a Call of Duty game before in my entire life. :ninja:

Needless to say, this game was one of the half dozen in this event that had my hype meter at full blast.

Simply put, go buy this game. Like, tomorrow.

This game is exactly what I dreamed it would be, exactly what I wanted and exactly what I needed. This is a PS3 champion right here. If you dig war games, go buy it right meow.

The graphics; the glistening sweat on the foreheads, smearing the black face paint, the sand exploding when a grenade goes off, the moonlight. I expected it all to look decent, but not this incredible. When the Navy Seal rescued me from being executed, the first thing I said was, "Holy shit, that dude looks real!" :o

The sound; the bullets whizzing through and clipping the jungle leaves, the splashing of the boots while crossing a puddle, the screams of the kamikaze enemies charging your position while on fire, people crying out from bullet wounds, the cartridge pin popping when your M1 Garand is out of bullets. Top quality sound.

The black and white intro sequences, with genuine wartime footage and audio, are perfect. Real dates, names and locations. This must be what a historian's wet dream is.

I imagine it's like being in the actual war. Storming the beaches, snipers in the crumbling towers in the city, running through the jungle, flamethrowers, tanks. It's beyond intense and you'll end up using the word "chaos" more than once the next time you take 5 minutes for a bathroom break and you're there talking to yourself, wondering how or why those kids ever lied about their ages on their admission forms to sneak into the service.

I can't really say much more about this game without mah head dun esploding.

It's like playing Saving Private Ryan with a controller. Fucking 10/10.

Edited by effdeegee
  • Like 3

Saturday, January 16th, 2016.

Flower_cover.png

Here we are, at the halfway point of this event, my completion is under 90%, my unearned are quickly approaching 1,000 and I think it's time I take a break and just relax.

From inside my bleek city apartment, I stare at a potted plant so long, that I start to hallucinate that I'm a single flower petal and I need to go rescue my multicoloured family from the grey, rolling hills, like some botanical Benetton commercial.

The game isn't the totally relaxing opiate that most reviews seem to push, but I can see how it would be, relative to society's obsession with bullets and blood.

The atmosphere is nice, the music and sounds are soothing and the gameplay is simple. As long as you're not trying to be Mario Andretti, you'll probably have a decent time. Hell, there were a few times where I would put the 'petal' to the metal (see what I did there?) and try to zip through a winding row of flowers. I'd always miss something but, it was a thrilling change of pace and also gave me the opportunity to do the whole "rise to the sky's ceiling and survey the area below to see what you missed" routine, before spotting the lone bulb and immediately divebombing down for the kill, like I was some leafy hawk.

It's a PSN title with 14 easy trophies, cost me like $2 and it only uses one button to play; not exactly brimming with content to discuss so, I'll just finish this short review by saying I'm happy I finally got to experience this one and "you'll probably have a decent time." :)

Edited by effdeegee
  • Like 3

Sunday, January 17th, 2016.

L5a2f56.png

Not too long ago, I played a PlayStation exclusive JRPG, called Ni No Kuni, that was focused on a group of prepubescent, glossy marble-eyed children in capes, following a little girl around through a little town, a forrest, then a desert, looking to restore power to a giant tree of life...

Fast forward (or rewind, whatever) and we have Tales of Symphonia; a PlayStation exclusive JRPG, with a story that focusses on a group of... oh ffs. -_-

Ahem.

The game isn't too bad, to be honest. Even though the graphics are terribly dated; very blocky and FF7-ish, it still comes off as surprisingly palatable because the voice acting, story and combat are juuust decent enough that you don't really care what most everything else looks like.

The cities do look fine and so do the story characters, NPC's and enemies (during combat). The overworld map and enemies look absolutely horrendous and there's almost 0 background design during combat encounters but, meh. No biggie. :dunno:

There appears to be a pretty deep alchemy system but, I never really played long enough to get very far with it. I'll just have to assume from the sandwiches being the first recipe, that NNK copied that too.

The combat is a sweet little bonus. Very simplified controls gives it a sort of hack n' slash, live action element, with different combos depending on which direction you push on the stick when you swing your sword. Except for the time when I was exiled from my village to the desert, to fight overpowered scorpions and snakes with nothing but a tiny kid at my side and two wooden sticks, I enjoyed it, for sure. :)

I still can't get over just how similar the two games are, though. The kicker is, you kids eat this stuff up and don't even question the integrity of the companies. They just lazily plagiarize and nobody chooses to hold on to their money and wag their finger instead. :spank:

As a game, Tales of Symphonia gets a pass and will be one of the titles I return to when this event ends, but now it just makes me want to punch Bandai-Namco and Ni No Kuni in the face for being another copy and paste ripoff game that made it past my defenses so easily. :angry:

Jerks. <_<

Edited by effdeegee
  • Like 3

Monday, January 18th, 2016.

L6bcc8a.png

Well, it wasn't a huge new revelatory gaming experience, considering I just played Rayman Legends for a month, back in Aug/Sept, as it was the game chosen for me during the second installment of a popular social event I run called The Lottery. :awesome:

Ubisoft is one of my favourite companies and Rayman is yet another winning product that can be added to the laundry list of hits that they've been banging out every year. :D

This is a platformer that can be played in two ways; like a Mario game, where you check every spot for goodies and enemies, or, how I believe it was meant to be played, like a Mario game after you took a bunch of methamphetamines, where you peel rubber through the levels at 1,000mph and try to beat the clock. :jaymon:

It was kind of weird playing the latest game and then going back to the previous title. I found the game's controls were lacking a bit of nuance and fluidity. A teeny tiny smidgen more clunky and sluggish.

It also didn't help having played Rayman Legends first because it had a special section in it where you could play all of the Rayman Origins levels (again). So, technically, I've already played most of this game before. :S

The art design is absolutely wonderful and it's fairly generous with the trophies but, it has some frustrating moments and the points requirements for each level can be a bit tight (playing a perfect run and ending up being 35 points short for a medal happens like every single friggin' level). :angry:

Pick up Origins. Hell, pick up Legends, too. Either one, or both; I don't really care. :lol: They're both easily worth the price of admission. :)

Edited by effdeegee
  • Like 4

Thursday, January 21st, 2016.

L678c07.png

Sheesh, cuttin' 'er close with the review, eh?

I'd have had it up earlier but, as anyone that has played Boredomlands before can attest, even the smallest mission takes a bazillion years because of all the back and forth between waypoints. Go get this, bring it there, oops need three more things, each one's in a different spot, 8,000 bullets later, bring them all back here, good job, meet me halfway across the world, here's $40 and a shitty shield that even a first time player wouldn't touch with a 10ft pole. Every. Single. Mission. :|

I had the Borderlands 1 GOTY before and earned the 100% in it (even had to play the entire highway snoozefest Knoxx dlc twice because of the mp locked armoury door glitch) and after getting 10 minutes into this game, I was struck by how quickly it felt like I had already played this game for a million hours. :(

I swear to friggin' God, it's almost the exact same game; same guns, same cars, same levels and the main 4 characters that even a half retarded monkey could see are the same; big, roid goon that goes GRRR!, little, anorexic guy, average military guy that throws a gun out and the obligatory sexy pair of boobs with an attitude. But wait! The average guy is white, not black! Stamp a #2 on the box and ship it. :devil:

The most interesting things that happened on today's venture was:

1. it was the second time in three days that I got to sniff a brand new sealed game :awesome: and

2. that I ran out of hard drive space while installing the massive 2 disc, GOTY contents :jaymon: and

3. it's the fourth game in a row where I scored double digits in trophies. :pimp:

I'm not really gonna do an in depth review. If you liked BL1, you'll... um... enjoy? play? put up with BL2. Just beware that I call it Boredomlands for a reason. :P

Oh, by the way, the guns suck. I played this damn game for like 10 hours and still have yet to find a decent assault rifle or SMG. The roads and walls are pretty much constructed of epic pistols, shotguns and sniper rifles, while rocket launchers are non existent (literally, never saw a single one) and the assualt rifles and SMGs are all poop. You had one job, Borderlands! One job! :angry:

Edited by effdeegee
  • Like 1

I did the same thing Eff. Played the hell out of BL 1 and then started 2 waaaaaaay too soon. I feel like you really have to use the right gun for the job (fire for flesh, acid for armor/shell , shock for shields, etc.)and head shots are a must.

Maybe co-op would make it more interesting. I keep being tempted by the $5 psn sales since I sold back the hard copy a long time ago, but have yet to bite on it.

• Like 1

Saturday, January 23rd, 2016.

L272970.png

Remember Jak II? I sure as hell do. I played it back in August 2013 and if it weren't for the culmination of single votes in this little event, I would probably still be holding off on playing Jak 3. That's how much of a stench Jak II left in my brain. <_<

Nonetheless, rules are rules. :)

I turn on the game and see the same ol' faces, weapons, controls, npcs, areas, animations and the first thing I feel isn't "Oh my God, I hate my decision to make this event." but rather, "Heh, I guess 29 months is the answer to the question, 'How long does it take for a Jak II poop stain to come clean?' " :jaymon:

Yeah, yeah, it's just another copy/paste PS exclusive but, after 3 years of detox, it's not so bad. :giggle:

I'll be honest though; I didn't exactly bunker down and go for 20-30+ trophies in a single day (which is totally doable with this game). Instead, I took solace in knowing that I was free to love (and most likely hate) the franchise again and that I would be happy to come back to this game later, finish off the third and final installment of the trilogy and then hastily sell that damn thing without prejudice. :lol:

I did the training level, the first mission and then spent the next 1:52:00 doing the 600 golden orbs exploit. In the process of doing so, it scored me the first gold trophy of this event. :awesome:

So, that's that, I guess. Same crap, different box on the calendar. :P

Edited by effdeegee
  • Like 1