Kickstarter PC Projects

fisty123

Just getting a feel for what members like to play but if you were to pledge on a game what type would you pledge for if any at all.

Myself I am a Visual Novel fan followed by the old school 8bit jrpg type games.

For example I pledged for this project - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cccn/quantum-suicide-friendship-courtship-hardship-spac
It looked interesting and you do not see many English based teams use Japanese voice actors, too bad it looks like it will not make its target.

or games like this which has been funded - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/889743262/rot-age-of-arius/description

Beyond these types I tend to also back projects that get a PS4 or Vita release

I used to back kickstarters a lot, but I've only ever gotten anything from a single kickstarter I've backed, which was the Skullgirls DLC one, so I stopped. Still waiting on the Homestuck Adventure Game (backed in 2012), Cryamore (backed in 2013), A Hat in Time (backed in 2013), Mighty No. 9 (backed in 2013), and Shantae Half-Genie Hero (backed in 2013). The only one of these I know I'm getting is MN9, but it's already a huge disappointment. So, yeah, I don't like kickstarter.

Bloodstained-will be amazing iga is a great dev

Yooka-laylee-They know what their doing old banjo team

Mighty scam .9-had a feeling it would be bad but the game is only $30 so ya whenever that comes out.

Friday the 13th-This is the most iffy that can still fail

shenmue 3-Sony won't let this screw-up.

The key to kickstarter is you should do ton's of research and not fund devs that look even a little out of place.

Edited by ShadowStrike002

I used to back kickstarters a lot, but I've only ever gotten anything from a single kickstarter I've backed, which was the Skullgirls DLC one, so I stopped. Still waiting on the Homestuck Adventure Game (backed in 2012), Cryamore (backed in 2013), A Hat in Time (backed in 2013), Mighty No. 9 (backed in 2013), and Shantae Half-Genie Hero (backed in 2013). The only one of these I know I'm getting is MN9, but it's already a huge disappointment. So, yeah, I don't like kickstarter.

I do know this feeling, I have backed a lot of projects and have only received a few items so far but most of the time its due to the devs creating more projects and then not meeting deadlines

Bloodstained-will be amazing iga is a great dev

Yooka-laylee-They know what their doing old banjo team

Mighty scam .9-had a feeling it would be bad but the game is only $30 so ya whenever that comes out.

Friday the 13th-This is the most iffy that can still fail

shenmue 3-Sony won't let this screw-up.

The key to kickstarter is you should do ton's of research and not fund devs that look even a little out of place.

Bloodstained looked amazing and can't wait for that, I missed the Yooka-laylee and Might no 9 but want to play both.

Decided to pass on Friday the 13th and wait for it on the store and who could say no to shenmue 3 :)

I've only ever kickstarted two games, one called Woolfe: The Red Hood Diaries (mostly because it reminded me of Trine and I wanted to try Kickstarter in general) and I can't say I was too disappointed for the few bucks I had to back for a copy of it.  Not perfect, pretty rough around the edges, but enjoyable.

The other was Shenmue III, which I dropped a hefty sum into, about $180.  Even if it's just awful, I'll enjoy the extras and the fact I played my part in seeing it made after 14 years... it's just money afterall.  I really don't think it'll be bad though.  I'm sure it'll have it's group that will be disappointed no matter what given the hype and how long it's been, but who cares what they think anyways.

I was about to back Allison Road, but then they closed it's Kickstarter and joined up with Team17 for the funding.  Literally the same day I decided to do it.

Edited by FrecLognAizeW

I'd never fund a kickstarter in all honesty, it's too much risk in my eyes

And a lot of potentially great projects get totally wiped over by projects that end up being scams

A lot of the games are also absolutely atrocious and no fun at all. Though I do think there are some real gems too

I want to start a Kickstarter for a movie I want to make but as above, it'll end up totally wiped over by a butt-scratcher that also makes chips

Also kickstarters seem far too geared towards PC
Which doesn't seem the best move

They should gear them towards both, then most of these games failing to reach their goals that actually look good, probably would reach their goal

Stupid move on the developers' part. Last I looked PS4 sells more games than PC or any other console etc. So why ignore it? :')

Also kickstarters seem far too geared towards PC

Which doesn't seem the best move

They should gear them towards both, then most of these games failing to reach their goals that actually look good, probably would reach their goal

Stupid move on the developers' part. Last I looked PS4 sells more games than PC or any other console etc. So why ignore it? :')

I think it's debatable that the PS4 sells more games than PC when it comes to indie titles (which Kickstarter generally seems to work in favor of).  I'd even say the it's tough to prove for many big budget retail games too, as every report I'm seeing has trouble coming up with reliable physical AND digital sale numbers... probably can find examples trending both ways, depending on the game, the developer and the article you choose.  Though I'd agree common sense dictates consoles would be more popular this day and age.

Though even if games do sell better on console, does the larger number of sales offset the cost of getting your games onto PSN or Xbox Live in the first place, releasing patches, post-release support, etc... all the areas Sony and Microsoft stick it to the developers... which is remarkably cheaper to do on Steam and the PC in general?  Not to mention the cost and time of learning/porting to foreign platforms when most of these developers are small time and probably haven't worked closely with the Playstation and Xbox development kits.  I mean, their small team at the time and the cost of porting was the predominant reason The Witcher 2 was exclusive to the PC for as long as it was, and only ever made it to Xbox 360.

I think the console environment has gotten better for indie developers, but there's a reason it's mostly high end indie titles making it to console these days... and usually only after a period of success on the PC to fund it.

Edited by FrecLognAizeW