Disgaea 3 or 4?

Soo I saw both Disgae 3 and 4 being on sale until 3-2 and I was wondering which one I should buy. I would like to try one of those games but I don't know if I miss vital story parts or if one is better then the other. So please tell me which one you guys suggest.

Soo I saw both Disgae 3 and 4 being on sale until 3-2 and I was wondering which one I should buy. I would like to try one of those games but I don't know if I miss vital story parts or if one is better then the other. So please tell me which one you guys suggest.

I personally preferred D3, but both stories are completely different, with different characters so you don't need to have played any before the newer games

Story wise each numbered Disgaea is a new story with a new cast, only sequel is Disgaea D2 (you will probably miss a ton of references in that one, like I did because I never played D1..), so there's no difference in playing either storywise..

The game mechanics improved from D3 ps3 to D4 vita (game order D3 ps3 -> D4 ps3 -> D3 vita -> Disgaea D2 -> D4 vita) are fundamentally the same, but with each game they made it more user friendly and changed some things, so going straight to D4 vita may make it more bothersome to go back to D3 vita. I'm not mentioning D5 because they changed way to many things with that one, it wasn't just light gameplay improvements..

I personally prefer D4 story over D3 (although none of the D4 characters personality seams awesome at my eyes on D4 or maybe Fenrich, on the other hand I love Champloo and Salvatore from D3..)..

As for an idea of what to expect from D3 and D4 story:

D3 - (Evil) Academy life, Disgaea style..

D4 - (Good) Vampire with Wareworlf/Nun story + politics, Disgaea style..

Oh man, I remember going to gamestop during the summer first thing in the morning to get my preorder copy of Disgaea 3. Back during the PS3 game drought.. 
I also remember playing only Disgaea 4 the entire week when it first came out..

If you're planning on only playing one of the games, go with Disgaea 4. If you're planning on eventually playing both games then I say go for Disgaea 3 first.