Survival Hell stories. (The Back From Hell trophy discussion thread)

Wavergray

So let's just have a place to talk about the Survival mode.

I'll been trying to beat Hell mode before anything is patched or changed.

I've done 5 runs so far.

1. With laura I made it to match 15.
  2. With karin I made it to match 25
  3. With Ryu I made it to match 56
  4. With Ryu again I made it to match 94. -_-
  5. With Ken I made it to match 83.

It's not that hard for 75 of the 100 matches, but the other 25 matches feel like the CPU is just reading my buttons and hitting me with 40% combo out of nowhere.

Bison(director), Birdie, FANG, and Laura seem to have better A.I. than most of the other characters.

What about you guy and gals? How far have you made it and with what character?  

Edited by soultaker655
  • Like 1

Bison (Dictator*) lol 

Made it to 87 with Ryu the 1st day and try but then i just get bored :( reminds me of DOA5 survival lol

The AI's that so far are the most psycho for me are Dhalsim and Rashid, no one else gave me problems, survival was better without the update tbh, was faster and better.

• Like 1

Bison (Dictator*) lol 

Made it to 87 with Ryu the 1st day and try but then i just get bored :( reminds me of DOA5 survival lol

The AI's that so far are the most psycho for me are Dhalsim and Rashid, no one else gave me problems, survival was better without the update tbh, was faster and better.

Dhalsim and Rashid just stand there and take hits in my game. They never punish whiffs or anything.

Survival A.I Bison and Laura are pretty strong in my game they punishes whiffs and knows 2-3 BnB combos, but the worst is Birdie, all he does nothing but read my inputs and punish opening I didn't know were punishable.

Edited by soultaker655

Dhalsim and Rashid just stand there and take hits in my game. They never punish whiffs or anything.

Survival A.I Bison and Laura are pretty strong in my game they punishes whiffs and knows 2-3 BnB combos, but the worst is Birdie, all he does nothing but read my inputs and punish opening I didn't know were punishable.

it seems everyone survival is different :P Birdie is mah punching bag lmao 

This has been my experience as well.

Just did a Ryu run where I got beat by Laura on stage 56. Such a motivation breaker.

• Like 1

I have the hardest time against characters like Cammy, Bison and Laura. It's pretty weird that there A.I is better compared to the rest.

Highest i've gotten to on Hard is stage 32. Pretty much done grinding out all the other characters on Easy and Normal. Never grinding through Hard Mode though, that 50 stages per character bullshit can outright fuck off. To me there is no big difference between all the difficulties, just make Hell mode 60-75 matches and it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Still really damn boring *sigh*

Me i hate bison and birdie.

Bison (Dictator*) lol

And rashid is alright. Dhalsim is easy

Edited by meyerpark

I have the trophy, it's actually really easy. Pick either Ryu or Ken and flowchart your way through it. I'm not joking.

In my opinion, the toughest matches are:

• Vega
  • Necalli
  • M. Bison
  • Cammy
  • Birdie

in no particular order. If your opponent has an air throw, they almost always are pretty tough because they will absolutely abuse it (this won't matter if you use the flowchart method). The easiest is Ryu, he's such a joke.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

Yn8Hdg8.jpg

Edited by Leonmyster

Lost at 99 today. That was rather discouraging. A couple tries later, I managed! Couldn't get the pure shoryu method to work so I mixed things up a bit. Probably wasn't the hardest survival I've done but it was definitely intense towards the end.

Problem characters for me were Laura, Karin, Chun-Li gave me a couple tough matches (namely @99) and F.A.N.G was annoying on occasion. After a while, I found that if I dashed in and used a shoryu at the start of the match I could get F.A.N.G most of the time.

It's a matter of patience. Good luck to those still trying!

• Like 1

You're telling me i just have to spam the Shoryuken and i'm done? I might as well try that..
I'm trying right now the hard one and i'm getting my ass kicked pretty bad at 3/4 of the way, damn...

Yes, just keep doing DP and you'll be in very good shape to win. The AI does not know how to handle a whiffed DP and will either stare at you, do a normal attack (or non crush counter combo), special, or throw. As far as I know, they don't do any crush counter combos.

This strategy is great, but is not perfect. In the later rounds, you might only get the health supplement that heals you 20% in consecutive matches. For example, it happened to me when I got the 20% health supplement 5 matches in a row. I had to play a bit smart against the 98th opponent, but the lack of health was too large of an obstacle to overcome and I lost. Basically, in the later matches from 60-100, keep your health as close to full as possible. Even if you only lost 10% health and need to spend 25000 points to heal it all, just do it. That 10% will come back to bite you in the ass. If you are at full health, spend it on defense.

A little bit of luck (just the health supplements) is required for this strategy, but it will work.

Do you still gain Player Exp or Character Exp if you lose? I'm not home right now so I can't confirm myself...

You don't gain anything.

Edited by Leonmyster

I have a question:

I don't own SF5 but I was wondering if the survival mode will change as new characters are added?

Do you think it will change the current difficulty, making it easier or harder?

It's really based on how capcom feels about it. They could make it easier or they could make it harder.

This is the main reason I trying to get this trophy now. I can pretty easily to get to the high 90s with Ryu/Ken and the 60s with Necalli. I just keep getting unlucky with the health supplements. (7 lows in a row)

I have found the attack boosts to be a little better than the defense boosts because when you use the attack boosts you do more chip damage and can stun the enemies faster.

I've heard that rashid and dhalsim are also a good characters for Hell mode. With rashid just spam his spinning mixer move and the A.I can't deal with it. With dhalsim just spam his heavy kick/roundhouse and use Yoga Flame if the A.I gets close. I haven't tried rashid or dhalsim yet so I don't know how effective these methods are.

Interested in the Dhalsim method, since i've just been beaten up at stage 95 using Ken.

If someone tries it, let me know!

I tried it and made it to match 30 without knowing anything about Dhalsim. If you take 15 minutes to learn how to fight with Dhalsim I think you could beat hell mode with him.

The only way A.I can deal Dhalsim's heavy kick is to jump over it which leaves them open to Yoga Fire and Flame, if they start to get to close and trap you in the comer just Yoga teleport out of the comer and use Yoga Flame for a more or less free hit.

This is more or less the basic strategy that Dhalsim players used in SFIV on real people so it should be enough to deal with most of the A.I in hell mode.

Edited by soultaker655

Interested in the Dhalsim method, since i've just been beaten up at stage 95 using Ken.

If someone tries it, let me know!

If you made it all the way to 95 with Ken, I'd suggest sticking with him. I got to 89, 93 and 99 before finally clearing hell survival. Dhalsim has some good options, but it won't be as easy as the Ken method.

The main problem with the Dhalsim method is that you need to know how to play Dhalsim for it to work.

I can get to the 30th match, but after that my inexperience with Dhalsim's playstyle leaves me unable to deal with any kind of pressure that characters like Nash, Karin, and Cammy can dish out if they get close. Also any character with a fireball can be tough to deal with since you will get hit by any fireball that is thrown while Dhalsim's leg is out.

If you know how you use Dhalsim I can see how he could easily beat hell mode, but I suck with him so I'll just keep trying with Necalli and Ken.

So yeah, i finally beat Normal with F.A.N.G. Something i noticed is that during the last few stages the A.I spikes in difficulty and techs all your throws. Only way i managed to beat them was spamming the same move with F.A.N.G, Bison, Cammy etc.

Pretty much sucks that skill isn't the way to win this mode, only luck.

I've done about 10 more run of Hell mode and I still haven't beat all 100 fights yet.

Did a few runs with Dhalsim and the highest I got was in the 40s, I just don't know enough about Dhalsim's playstyle to get any farther.

Did a few runs with Necalli and I keep losing to the same cammy in the 70s, She just keeps blocking every hit and teching every throw and then she punishes a move with a 40% combo. Even when I have full HP and an attack boost I still can't beat her.

Did a few runs with Ken and got to the 90s and lost to the last Bison, Birdie, and Nash. They block every hit and tech every throw and punish with a 40%-50% combo.

This mode is infuriating. It would be fine if all the matches were full of input reading monsters, but no. More then 80% of the matches are against braindead A.I. that doesn't know know how to block half of the time.

Also why does every fighter need an intro? Just start the fight, I'll see who I'm fighting while I fighting them.

Edited by soultaker655