HTC Vive costs around $799, have to sell family for the shipment costs!

FlareXV

Tons of Bills, Student Loans, Kids, low job security, less than $15 hours pay, and the many other reason that people in the US live from paycheck to paycheck.  

Living in the US from paycheck to paycheck is a personal choice unless the family in question has been the victim of an extreme unforeseen circumstances, such as medical/natural disaster/etc. Not an involuntary predicament. If you take on bills, payments, mortgages, and other expenses while somehow only having a $15 an hour job with a college degree (what?), then you're the problem. It's called living outside your means.

Most late 3D movies in theatres sold more tickets for 2D screenings than 3D ones, so i don't think the issue with 3D was that the home experience was inferior to the theatre one. I personally chose to see most movies that gave the choice in 2D, but thats just because all the 3D movies i saw made me feel queasy. Avatar worked well, but the movie was so bad i left halfway through anyway.

In terms of how 'staggering' the diference between VR and regular games is - i agree it probably is. I expect so. That's the problem. I dont think people want to pay extra for something that different. Its just not what I'm looking for. I play a lot of my games with my wife at my side, and we enjoy talking about them. When my son gets a bit older i look forward to playing games with him. VR would turn what is a communal activity for us into a solitary, lonely, exclusionary experience, and that would make me very sad.

Personally, I expect VR to be successful - in enterprise. I work designing things for oil rigs, and i can already imagine how it could help my industry having a virtual rig to 'walk' around in and view designs. For any architectural work, or industrial design, it could be great. I imagine the medical field will benefit hugely too.

But for my part, i just hope it fails quickly and decisively in the games medium, so all the great innovators working on applications and 'games' (experiences) for it can get back to making real games

I'm confused as to why you would want something to fail that others might be able to thoroughly enjoy. Those people failing at what they're working at would only hurt them. These people wouldn't be making games that you enjoy anyway, because this is what they're passionate about. I hope it succeeds so more people will be able to enjoy things they like. VR won't replace what you hold dear. It will only add to it.

Also, two people could wear the VR glasses and be in the same game at the same time. That can be just as enjoyable and bonding, in my opinion, as both staring at the same glowing box. It could even get you two closer if you were somehow apart for the weekend while playing games together in VR. 

Basically, don't condemn something just because you might not feel it yet. Hope for it to succeed. Nobody benefits from failure.

Edited by Paige-ID

Living in the US from paycheck to paycheck is a personal choice unless the family in question has been the victim of an extreme unforeseen circumstances, such as medical/natural disaster/etc. Not an involuntary predicament. If you take on bills, payments, mortgages, and other expenses while somehow only having a $15 an hour job with a college degree (what?), then you're the problem. It's called living outside your means.

I'm confused as to why you would want something to fail that others might be able to thoroughly enjoy. Those people failing at what they're working at would only hurt them. These people wouldn't be making games that you enjoy anyway, because this is what they're passionate about. I hope it succeeds so more people will be able to enjoy things they like. VR won't replace what you hold dear. It will only add to it.

Also, two people could wear the VR glasses and be in the same game at the same time. That can be just as enjoyable and bonding, in my opinion, as both staring at the same glowing box. It could even get you two closer if you were somehow apart for the weekend while playing games together in VR. 

Basically, don't condemn something just because you might not feel it yet. Hope for it to succeed. Nobody benefits from failure.

When i said that, what I meant was that I believe it is guaranteed to fail, and so my hope is that it is a quick, decisive failure, and not a long, drawn out thing that takes forever. I want the best in the business to spend their time creating great games, not tinkering with pie-in-the-sky hardware.

Living paycheck to paycheck is not a personal choice. Any unforeseen circumstances big or small can force someone into that situation, and it can take months or years to get out of it. The person you are describing is not some weird abstract person that doesn't exist. More than 50% of the people in the US are in that kind of situation. Having a college degree doesn't not mean you will have a well paying job or even guarantee you a job. The only thing you are guaranteed by going to college is debt and not a small amount of debt either. The average 4 year college student leaves college with more then $50,000 worth of debt with little to no true job experience. I could go on and on about the reason why $1000 is a huge amount of money, but you pretty much said it yourself. It's called living outside your means and for most people in the US throwing down $1000+ on a toy is not worth it, when any little thing could happen where that $1000+ could have helped themselves or their family. 

• Like 1

Living paycheck to paycheck is not a personal choice. Any unforeseen circumstances big or small can force someone into that situation, and it can take months or years to get out of it. The person you are describing is not some weird abstract person that doesn't exist. More than 50% of the people in the US are in that kind of situation. Having a college degree doesn't not mean you will have a well paying job or even guarantee you a job. The only thing you are guaranteed by going to college is debt and not a small amount of debt either. The average 4 year college student leaves college with more then $50,000 worth of debt with little to no true job experience. I could go on and on about the reason why $1000 is a huge amount of money, but you pretty much said it yourself. It's called living outside your means and for most people in the US throwing down $1000+ on a toy is not worth it, when any little thing could happen where that $1000+ could have helped themselves or their family. 

If the smallest unforeseen circumstance (eg. washing machine breaks down) puts your family in an immediate financial crisis (living paycheck to paycheck is a financial crisis) then you are simply doing something wrong and you need financial counseling. Having a college degree in something relevant can almost guarantee you a job. Even people with no degree (me) can move up in the world and work hard to get somewhere, all while not living paycheck to paycheck. 

$1000 is not a lot in the grand scheme of things. People that drink alcohol spend more than that a year. People that smoke can easily spend $3000 a year on that. That's 2 VR setups. Going out to restaurants/movies/etc is easily 5-10k a year. $1000 should not consume your entire entertainment budget in a year. Especially as a gamer. Maybe at first it's a lot, but as an established adult it shouldn't completely cripple you. It might not be everyone's personal preference, but it's not a solid reason as to why something is simply "unaffordable". It's not.

That 50% you described? Oh hey, I want a new car. I want a house with 3 garages and 4 bedrooms. I want a new boat. I want, I want, I want, and with just 9000 easy payments, you can have it all. Then they live paycheck to paycheck. That is indeed how most people in the US think. Even though David Ramsey is a complete idiot and spouts nonsense 9/10 times, he does understand that Americans have a serious issue with budgeting money.

Whoever leaves college with 50k in debt either wasted their money on something overrated, or didn't do their homework and got a degree in some off-the-wall crap that was guaranteed to fail. Spending money is voluntary. Taking on debt is voluntary. Taking on debt is not wrong at all, but if it's going to cost you your entire paycheck then you're not budgeting correctly. If you make $45,000 a year, don't live like you make $44,999 a year. Live like you make 35k and save that 10k. I speak purely out of experience. Not from some spectator position.

Edited by Paige-ID

This isn't a Xbox vs PS problem, if PSVR comes out on top other companies with adopt Sony's plans on VR. The problem is, how strong is the PSVR compared to the other 3? If the PSVR is a beast for its price range , I could see it rocking the industry as a whole. If not, people will drop it just like the kinect. PS4 was the same way, Sony changed the price at E3 after seeing the reception of the XB1 price. Couple the fact that the PS4 is stronger and had less restrictions, it was a no brainier for the general public.

Their argument was that there is a good chance that Sony can price themselves much lower, and by that get a sizable portion of the market. This I can see being true. As they said, it's not just that most other VR headsets require an expensive PC, but if the PSVR is at a lower price and you just need a cheap PS4, then it's a much cheaper solution for most people. I think if they release it at a much cheaper price, the success of VR might be in the hands of Sony. If it ends up as a pointless peripheral, people will be sour about it and probably not invest VR again anytime soon.

I really don't think it needs to be a beast for it's price range, because I don't think most people will buy the more expensive VR head sets, and then they are left with PSVR or no VR.

As for the price of the PS4. I hope you realize that the PS4 could undercut the X1, not just because of the Kinect, but because the hardware in the X1 cost more, due to their focus on TV bs that is pretty useless to most people outside of NA. Like the console without the Kinect was like 15USD more than the PS4. MS even decided to take a bigger profit than Sony on their release prices, while in comparison Sony had a decent profit on their PS4. :P

College debt sucks. I don't know why it's so expensive in USA. Where I come from we get free 13-14 years, where in the last 3-4 years you even get money for going to school. After that, for example, university cost 65USD per half year (+ books), and you can get student loan where you may get paid back a decent amount of it if you pass enough classes. Even with it being as cheap as this, I know people who has been able to waste so much money that they're up at like 50k USD debt without even finishing their degree. :P (idiots)

Edited by MMDE

If the smallest unforeseen circumstance (eg. washing machine breaks down) puts your family in an immediate financial crisis (living paycheck to paycheck is a financial crisis) then you are simply doing something wrong and you need financial counseling. Having a college degree in something relevant can almost guarantee you a job. Even people with no degree (me) can move up in the world and work hard to get somewhere, all while not living paycheck to paycheck. 

$1000 is not a lot in the grand scheme of things. People that drink alcohol spend more than that a year. People that smoke can easily spend $3000 a year on that. That's 2 VR setups. Going out to restaurants/movies/etc is easily 5-10k a year. $1000 should not consume your entire entertainment budget in a year. Especially as a gamer. Maybe at first it's a lot, but as an established adult it shouldn't completely cripple you. It might not be everyone's personal preference, but it's not a solid reason as to why something is simply "unaffordable". It's not.

That 50% you described? Oh hey, I want a new car. I want a house with 3 garages and 4 bedrooms. I want a new boat. I want, I want, I want, and with just 9000 easy payments, you can have it all. Then they live paycheck to paycheck. 

Whoever leaves college with 50k in debt either wasted their money on something overrated, or didn't do their homework and got a degree in some off-the-wall crap that was guaranteed to fail. Spending money is voluntary. Taking on debt is voluntary. Taking on debt is not wrong at all, but if it's going to cost you your entire paycheck then you're not budgeting correctly. If you make $45,000 a year, don't live like you make $44,999 a year. Live like you make 35k and save that 10k. I speak purely out of experience. Not from some spectator position.

What if your washing machine, car and PC breaks down in the same month? Even the smallest unforeseen circumstances can pile up from no fault of your own. You can save 10K a year and that still may not be enough when something bad happens. There are all kinds of factors you have to take in to a count when talking about people's money problems. I could ask you what state and city you live in, if you have kids, if you do how many, are you married, and if your are do both of you work. These things and many more are huge factors that can cause people to live paycheck to paycheck.

What if their car was in a crash or broke down to the point it can't be fixed, well they have no choice but to buy a new car to go to work or school. If you have more than one kid a house with 4 bedrooms is sometimes necessary. Those people who want a boat and stuff do exist, but they are just a small part of that 50%.

Spending $1000 at once is a lot, comparing it to smoking, drinking, and eating out is not an accurate comparison since you don't spend all the money on those things at once and there are people who don't do any of those things and still have to live paycheck to paycheck.

College debt is not as simple as you think it is. I'm in my 3rd semester on college are now and I'm already close to $6,000 in debt just from paying for my classes and paying one bill in the place I live. Right now I'm at a Community College where the classes are cheap. After I finish my 2nd year the price of one class will cost the same as all the class I'm taking now and in order to keep going to college I'll have to take at least 4 of those classes. After the 4 year college I'm going for a PH.D and those classes cost even more. Add all of that to things like a car payment so I can get to my classes, and any normal bills or unforeseen bills, and food to live, and many other thing that happens in life. It's very easy for a college student of any age to gain a ton of debt just by going to class.

You may have some experience on this, but your experience only works for you. Everyone is different and they have different problems from you. Just because you make a certain amount and live fine off of it with your circumstances doesn't mean other people can do the same with their circumstances.

Edited by soultaker655

That 50% you described? Oh hey, I want a new car. I want a house with 3 garages and 4 bedrooms. I want a new boat. I want, I want, I want, and with just 9000 easy payments, you can have it all. Then they live paycheck to paycheck..

You mean, the kind of people that would say "hey, i want VR?"...

But seriously, your points are both nonsensical and insulting. You do, infact, speak from a spectator position, as you are talking about financial debt incurred via student loans and the job prospects that a degree affords, while admitting you yourself do not have one. That is, by definition, not "speaking from experience."

Stuff does not always work out for people, despite hard work on their part - and invoking such simplistic and sweeping generalisations in a forum where your main arguement seems austensibly to stem from your desire to see something as frivolous as consumer VR take off is asinine.

You have no issue spending a grand or so on something for home entertainment? Great, thats honestly great for you. Things have gone your way, and im sure you worked hard to get there. But there is, im sure you can agree, classier ways to deal with your good fortune than to derise the people for whom $1000 is a heck of a lot of money, and try to lecture them about their lives, perticularly since that is very far from the topic at hand.

Why be that guy? As you succeed and move up in the world, is all you want to do when you cast your eyes downwards to spit?

Their argument was that there is a good chance that Sony can price themselves much lower, and by that get a sizable portion of the market. This I can see being true. As they said, it's not just that most other VR headsets require an expensive PC, but if the PSVR is at a lower price and you just need a cheap PS4, then it's a much cheaper solution for most people. I think if they release it at a much cheaper price, the success of VR might be in the hands of Sony. If it ends up as a pointless peripheral, people will be sour about it and probably not invest VR again anytime soon.

I really don't think it needs to be a beast for it's price range, because I don't think most people will buy the more expensive VR head sets, and then they are left with PSVR or no VR.

As for the price of the PS4. I hope you realize that the PS4 could undercut the X1, not just because of the Kinect, but because the hardware in the X1 cost more, due to their focus on TV bs that is pretty useless to most people outside of NA. Like the console without the Kinect was like 15USD more than the PS4. MS even decided to take a bigger profit than Sony on their release prices, while in comparison Sony had a decent profit on their PS4. :P

I'm not saying Sony's plan will fail, all I'm implying is that Sony can't adopt the same plan their used to combat the Xbox. You have to remember than PSVR is on a closed while the other 3 are on a open platform. 

As for the pricing for the PS4 and the Xbox, MS could of easily undercut Sony but they got greedy. The kinect costed $150 USD at that time, take that off XB1 was $350 and I don't doubt MS if they went second they could have shaved an extra $50. Anyway, let's not talk about that, we are talking about VR.

I do hope Sony release a PS4 and PSVR combo, I would def be down for something like that. 

If this is really the time where VR makes its break into the scene, between this and the Oculus and PSVR and whatever else, either the price will drop as they find more cost effective ways to mass produce it or a more price-accessible model with a tweaked feature set will come out.  Give it a year or two... it'll take that long for developers to really jump on board and get out of the "launch title" phase anyways... or to see if it's just a fad.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

Also, I refuse to see $1000-1500 being a ton of money in today's day and age for adults with full time jobs.

Realism hits a lot of people and they end up in crappy jobs, having children too early, jumping into jobs with high returns but low security and etc.  

If this is really the time where VR makes it's break into the scene, between this and the Oculus and PSVR and whatever else, either the price will drop as they find more cost effective ways to mass produce it or a more price-accessible model with a tweaked feature set will come out.  Give it a year or two... it'll take that long for developers to really jump on board and get out of the "launch title" phase anyways... or to see if it's just a fad.

I can't wait for the full comparison chart. I know games wise, PSVR got that on lock. The problem is power and how long will a developer support it. 

Edited by FlareXV

I'm not saying Sony's plan will fail, all I'm implying is that Sony can't adopt the same plan their used to combat the Xbox. You have to remember than PSVR is on a closed while the other 3 are on a open platform. 

Not really the same market. If you've looked into "Oculus Ready PCs", they are supposedly going for between 1500-3000USD. Then there's the 600USD for the Oculus Rift. If PSVR cost, say 400USD. That's 350+400USD (and only 400USD if they already have the PS4).

What do you think most people will invest in? It's a matter of what a majority of people can afford to spend on toys.

This is why I say they're not really competing in the same market.

The question is if we will see some cheaper VR headsets for PC that doesn't require as powerful of a PC. I think that is a must, else it seems like it will depend on PSVR (if the price isn't too high).

As for the pricing for the PS4 and the Xbox, MS could of easily undercut Sony but they got greedy. The kinect costed $150 USD at that time, take that off XB1 was $350 and I don't doubt MS if they went second they could have shaved an extra $50. Anyway, let's not talk about that, we are talking about VR.

This is false.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/teardown-reveals-xbox-one-costs-90-more-than-ps4-to-make/1100-6416404/

People assume it was all about the Kinect, because the PS4 had GDDR4 memory, but really, the X1 cost quite a lot to produce due to a lot of less common parts. One console focused on gaming, the other sadly didn't. Not just a marketing/PR problem.

Edited by MMDE

I can't wait for the full comparison chart. I know games wise, PSVR got that on lock. The problem is power and how long will a developer support it. 

Maybe I need to look into it a little more (I'm primarily a PC gamer these days)... but I don't understand how the PSVR will work at all.

The reason you need a top of the line PC for the Oculus and HTC Vive is because even the smallest amount of framerate dipping will lead to major motion sickness and render the damn thing unusable.  Well, last time I checked, half the games on the PS4 barely hit 30fps and frequently release with framerate issues.  Seems like the VR enabled games will have to be really scaled back graphically, and will have practically no longevity/evolution until the PS5 rolls around I guess.

Edited by Dreakon13

The question is if we will see some cheaper VR headsets for PC that doesn't require as powerful of a PC. I think that is a must, else it seems like it will depend on PSVR (if the price isn't too high).

This is false.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/teardown-reveals-xbox-one-costs-90-more-than-ps4-to-make/1100-6416404/

People assume it was all about the Kinect, because the PS4 had GDDR4 memory, but really, the X1 cost quite a lot to produce due to a lot of less common parts. One console focused on gaming, the other sadly didn't. Not just a marketing/PR problem.

I don't doubt will we will see cheaper VR headsets, I think the OSVR is classed as one. 

I need to research the XB1 cost before I believe the tear-down, I don't doubt the validity, I just need to see the breakdown more detailed. 

Maybe I need to look into it a little more (I'm primarily a PC gamer these days)... but I don't understand how the PSVR will work at all.

The reason you need a top of the line PC for the Oculus and HTC Vive is because even the smallest amount of framerate dipping will lead to major motion sickness and render the damn thing unusable.  Well, last time I checked, half the games on the PS4 barely hit 30fps and frequently release with framerate issues.  Seems like the VR enabled games will have to be really scaled back graphically, and will have practically no longevity/evolution until the PS5 rolls around I guess.

The PSVR does produce good image quality and I've heard that the frame-rate in many games have been fluid. The problem I think is the progression of PSVR, it's on a closed system (for now) while the others are on an opened one. Here's some game-play of PSVR:

The PSVR does produce good image quality and I've heard that the frame-rate in many games have been fluid. The problem I think is the progression of PSVR, it's on a closed system (for now) while the others are on an opened one. Here's some game-play of PSVR:

Granted what you actually see in that video doesn't look bad, it also looks very on-rails and scripted with a very limited draw distance.  I feel like progression won't just be limited by the closed system, but also by hardware constraints (something that isn't as big of a deal on PC assuming developers take advantage of it).  Games that look bad will be more open and free wheeling, games that look good will be more controlled and scripted for stability sake... without much wiggle room either way.

Edited by Dreakon13

You mean, the kind of people that would say "hey, i want VR?"...

But seriously, your points are both nonsensical and insulting. You do, infact, speak from a spectator position, as you are talking about financial debt incurred via student loans and the job prospects that a degree affords, while admitting you yourself do not have one. That is, by definition, not "speaking from experience."

Stuff does not always work out for people, despite hard work on their part - and invoking such simplistic and sweeping generalisations in a forum where your main arguement seems austensibly to stem from your desire to see something as frivolous as consumer VR take off is asinine.

You have no issue spending a grand or so on something for home entertainment? Great, thats honestly great for you. Things have gone your way, and im sure you worked hard to get there. But there is, im sure you can agree, classier ways to deal with your good fortune than to derise the people for whom $1000 is a heck of a lot of money, and try to lecture them about their lives, perticularly since that is very far from the topic at hand.

Why be that guy? As you succeed and move up in the world, is all you want to do when you cast your eyes downwards to spit?

I do not speak from a spectator position. I never said I had no student debt. I said I had no degree. I have accumulated quite a bit of debt in my life, but never so much that it would completely bankrupt me the moment I would miss one single paycheck. To enable that kind of lifestyle is baffling to me. If you're not making a lot of money, don't buy a lot of stuff. Saving money isn't a luxury only the rich can afford. I know plenty of people who don't make a lot of money, yet they do provide their family with security.

Stuff never worked out for me either, until I made it work. You move to a different location, you try just a bit harder, you prepare for 10 years from now. Not just for tomorrow. These things can be done by ANYONE, but patience is no longer a virtue. More a concept. When the average US citizen gets a raise, they immediately add more debt. Making more money should enable you to save more/prepare more. Not afford more.

Turning this around on me is not going to get anywhere. The guy made a topic to celebrate VR, pretty much. Not a "what do you think of VR?". People rag on it with arguments that made no sense to me. I simply stated that it's not unaffordable. That it can really push the medium forward. That nobody should hope it fails. I said that $1000-1500 isn't a ton of money for an established adult. When people counter argue, they get replies back. If that makes you feel somewhat unworthy in life than I apologize, but that might be an issue that's rooted elsewhere. Telling someone that it's ok to live paycheck to paycheck is technically supporting and enabling someone to inevitably fail.

I have no issue with spending $1000, but nowhere have I stated what my financial situation is. I have not indicated that I'm fortunate. I simply say that if you're smart with money, in an established adult life, $1000 isn't something that should break your household. It shouldn't be for anyone in their adult lives. Having $50,000 in student debt with a degree you can't use stems from one thing; poor planning. Why not go to community classes for 2 years, then transfer to a university? People do stupid shit and get in debt up to their eyeballs because they make silly decisions. It's a fact of life. If you spend $50k on a PhD then that's most likely money well spent, as that will land you a career that will more than return your investment. Spending $50k on a business degree that every Tom, Dick, and Harry has is nothing more than stupid.

Edited by Paige-ID
  • Like 2

Granted what you actually see in that video doesn't look bad, it also looks very on-rails and scripted with a very limited draw distance.  I feel like progression won't just be limited by the closed system, but also by hardware constraints (something that isn't as big of a deal on PC assuming developers take advantage of it).  Games that look bad will be more open and free wheeling, games that look good will be more controlled and scripted for stability sake... without much wiggle room either way.

Oh, I totally agree. The only thing we need to wait for now is Sony. I wonder how they will announce releases of updated versions, yearly or every 3 - 5 years? 

Oh, I totally agree. The only thing we need to wait for now is Sony. I wonder how they will announce releases of updated versions, yearly or every 3 - 5 years? 

I'm sadly afraid that the PS4 VR won't be very revolutionary and merely considered a peripheral, kind of like that Wonderbook crap. If anything, it will continue with a limited library for those that just want the "experience" type games the others pointed out. For that low of a price, how can they be the equivalents? Usually, consoles and their accessories are always 3 steps behind current tech anyway, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Sony's VR, but I think PC is where the medium will really flourish.

It seems like the people that are complaining about it being too expensive are also hell-bent on wanting it to fail. If they think it's such a pointless piece of hardware, why not just be content with never having to spend that amount of money? I feel like they hope it fails just so they don't feel obligated to buy it (in other words, they want it but convince themselves it's garbage). I remember people acting this way towards the PS3 before release. Video games are an expensive hobby. Ultimately, I feel that if you don't like VR... that's all fine & good. But why come to this thread when it's all about which VR headsets people want to buy. That's like going to a Call Of Duty thread when you don't even like the game, just to shit talk it.  

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I know this thread is OAF, but it was resurrected by someone else and brought to my attention.

I'm probably reacting to the wrong thing... but Job Simulator? Really? That's an actual game? Haven't people been working a job to get the $800 (plus tax) it costs to buy the VR headset? Why the fuck would they want to simulate that when they already worked 8 hours in the day?

You've apparently never played WTF on PSP. Work Time Fun. It's like job simulator, but not in VR and more amazing.

OT: I was under the impression that the HTC Vive was powered by phones, since that's what HTC is known for. I didn't realize until I just looked it up right now it's powered by SteamOS/PC/Mac/Linux.