The Backlog Crusade - Dragon's Dogma

Wow, I was enjoying this game as a open world Monster Hunter esque RPG, but towards the end of the game, the story ramped up from a lazy 0 to a 'what the fuck' 60. I loved every second of it, and am looking forwards to NG+, which will be a quicker but grindier playthrough. One question, do all my portcrystals carry over to ng+? I got a lot from doing all the side missions and never had to travel far towards the end thanks to them. Anyway, great game, 9/10 on Saltyie's scale. 

Not much activity going on here however, but as I said myself this is a casual event. I won't lock it if I did another installment, think of it like a discussion room of sorts for the game. 

Wow, I was enjoying this game as a open world Monster Hunter esque RPG, but towards the end of the game, the story ramped up from a lazy 0 to a 'what the fuck' 60. I loved every second of it, and am looking forwards to NG+, which will be a quicker but grindier playthrough. One question, do all my portcrystals carry over to ng+? I got a lot from doing all the side missions and never had to travel far towards the end thanks to them. Anyway, great game, 9/10 on Saltyie's scale. 

Not much activity going on here however, but as I said myself this is a casual event. I won't lock it if I did another installment, think of it like a discussion room of sorts for the game. 

Yeah, all the portcrystals you've placed will carry over. I believe they won't work until you reach Gran Soren (not 100% sure about this). Also if you play the entire second playthrough offline, you'll have a special final boss ;).

It's been a week since I restarted playing Dragon's Dogma and it's definitely an improvement over Freedom Wars, the last game I restarted by joining an event. The beginning for the game is slow but at least I saw who the main boss is and I have a personal connection to him, something that Wars forgot up until the third act. Another factor I'm liking so far of the story is that it feels like I have agency to do what I want and am freely able to explore, barring chimeras or ogres I find; it's not like Wars in which it feels like I'm following some other character's story and I just happen to be dragged along.

I started off as a Mage and promoted to a Sorcerer while my main pawn is now a Ranger, both of us being at Lv. 19 at the moment. I've been recruiting a Mage and Fighter/Warrior pawns so as to have some healing support and someone to tank some of the offense. "Off With Its Head" was the latest main mission I finished and now that I reached Gran Soren, I spent some time exploring the nearby area and that's the main appeal Dogma has for me. I like exploring the world and seeing what type of enemies I'll face or landmarks that give a bit more character to the world. I even managed to find a wakestone shard by a chapel by accident and I guess it would be an indicator to start the mission "Reaper's Scorn." I'll double-check to see what other side-missions I should be wary of missing and hopefully the game will continue to be enjoyable.

• Like 1

I think this is a great idea and look forward to see how it develops over the coming months.  I know I'm trying to work through some old games especially on PS3, so events like these make for good incentives.  Installed Dragons Dogma today and will start it once I finish up Jak and Daxter.  Since I probably will be a little time crunched this month, I may shoot for main story completion rather than the platinum as my main goal. Gotta cut down the backlog one way or another.

I decided to put Dragon's Dogma back on after platting Bully last night, and to my surprise I actually ended up getting a lot done. Firstly, at level 50, I managed to defeat the UR-Dragon. He took me about 6 encounters, but thanks to some lvl200 pawns (Shoutout to Dragon for lending me his pawn, which probably carried me the entire battle) I emerged victorious. I then defeated Grigori in NG+ (ensuring I got the missable 'false' ending I forgot the last time around), and am currently situated in the post game. I left my PS3 on overnight, letting my pawns grind the guards for discipline points and kills, and when I logged on this morning, I went from 1700 kills to 15000 kills, and got about 250,000 DP. Using the bazillion banners I got in drops, I sold them for the 10,000,000 gold earned trophy. Now all thats left is the kill hydra trophy (Challenger quest won't appear on the bounty board for some reason), 150 locations discovered (currently 146), and 350 equipment gained (currently mid-200). Nice to see others starting the game also!

I decided to put Dragon's Dogma back on after platting Bully last night, and to my surprise I actually ended up getting a lot done. Firstly, at level 50, I managed to defeat the UR-Dragon. He took me about 6 encounters, but thanks to some lvl200 pawns (Shoutout to Dragon for lending me his pawn, which probably carried me the entire battle) I emerged victorious. I then defeated Grigori in NG+ (ensuring I got the missable 'false' ending I forgot the last time around), and am currently situated in the post game. I left my PS3 on overnight, letting my pawns grind the guards for discipline points and kills, and when I logged on this morning, I went from 1700 kills to 15000 kills, and got about 250,000 DP. Using the bazillion banners I got in drops, I sold them for the 10,000,000 gold earned trophy. Now all thats left is the kill hydra trophy (Challenger quest won't appear on the bounty board for some reason), 150 locations discovered (currently 146), and 350 equipment gained (currently mid-200). Nice to see others starting the game also!

Nice, that's some great progress :yay:. Weird that the Challenge quest doesn't appear. Are you sure you checked the notice board at the Cassardis inn?

Nice, that's some great progress :yay:. Weird that the Challenge quest doesn't appear. Are you sure you checked the notice board at the Cassardis inn?

Yep, checked all available bounty boards for it and nothing. My best guess is I may have to clear previous quests accepted from that bounty board before more spawn. I'll probably just go for the arch hydra though. 

I killed a chimera at level 12. It was one of the most nightmarish battles I ever endured in an RPG. Took 55 minutes of running around, near constant healing, at least one vocation change, and magic spamming before I finally brought it to its knees. It remains my proudest achievement in DD thus far.

you mean Post-Dragon? there is no "post-game" as once the True Final boss is dead you have to start a NG+ and since post game is AFTER the final boss.

but on the game itself this is one of my MOST PLAYED games on PS3. On the "Souls" comparison while they have similar aesthetics this game has far smoother controls. The one thing that prevents me from enjoying Souls games are the unresponsive clunky controls (do i need a flame shield here?) i love their designs and settings though.

I need to see if my Pawns are rent-able or if i blocked them. I have 1 at 200 (main account) and 1 at 60 (alt account).

Bitter Black Isle is great plus you get some killer weapons and the Boss is a throw-back to Ghost-n-Goblins/Ghouls.

What is your favorite class TC? i tend to favor the Assassin for the swords and bow usage. Also did you get the Berserk armor sets? now i might have to boot this up again. was thinking of doing a CLoS marathon but this might come first.

Sounds like you have made some great progress and are really enjoying the game, always a good thing. too bad the Dragons Dogma online is Japan only for now.

Edited by DarkHarmonixer

I got the plat a few days ago, and wow, what an excellent game. I ended up selling all my possessions in order to get the last few clothing items needed for the plat, but I'll definitely be going back to this game after I clear out my backlog more, so I can properly play the Dark Arisen content. I mainly used the Assassin class, I enjoyed the sword/bow combo the most. My pawn however changed vocation much more, I think I ended the game with them as a ranger, since I felt that the ranged pawns performed the best. Playthrough wise, it took 2 and a half to get the plat. My only real complaint was the variety, there were all these cool locations and zones that the non-notice board quests never take you (The whole south-west part of the map for example). 

For the 50 notice board quests, there're 15+ DLC notice board quests in the pawn HQ basement at Gran Soren, they only task you with picking up a marker, usually on a building that requires some sweet hardcore parkour to get reach. Apart from that and the 350 pieces of equipment collected trophy (Which for me was just a lot of selling and reselling) it was pretty smooth sailing to get the plat, and I really enjoyed most of my experience. 

Platinum #99

1L010a29.png

Edited by Saltyie
  • Like 3

I got the plat a few days ago, and wow, what an excellent game. I ended up selling all my possessions in order to get the last few clothing items needed for the plat, but I'll definitely be going back to this game after I clear out my backlog more, so I can properly play the Dark Arisen content. I mainly used the Assassin class, I enjoyed the sword/bow combo the most. My pawn however changed vocation much more, I think I ended the game with them as a ranger, since I felt that the ranged pawns performed the best. Playthrough wise, it took 2 and a half to get the plat. My only real complaint was the variety, there were all these cool locations and zones that the non-notice board quests never take you (The whole south-west part of the map for example). 

For the 50 notice board quests, there're 15+ DLC notice board quests in the pawn HQ basement at Gran Soren, they only task you with picking up a marker, usually on a building that requires some sweet hardcore parkour to get reach. Apart from that and the 350 pieces of equipment collected trophy (Which for me was just a lot of selling and reselling) it was pretty smooth sailing to get the plat, and I really enjoyed most of my experience. 

Platinum #99

1L010a29.png

Nice, congrats with the plat :yay:. Now you can sign up for the PP Dragons if you haven't already :awesome:.

Finally got a chance to play a little bit outside the tutorial and really enjoying it so far.  Stumbled upon the Watergod's Altar and went through the whole thing (probably under level) which was pretty awesome especially taking down the boss at the end.  This kind of dungeon and exploration is something that I think that Bethesda games have kind of lost over the years especially as their worlds got larger.  With a more linear kind of open world, these exploration opportunities can be crafted a little better. It also makes it a little easier to not get overwhelmed.  While this dungeon was pretty cool, I do have some minor gripes.  First, I think I accidentally sequence broke it with some careful jumping and cleared out the whole thing without ever taking a quest for it which is supposed to open a locked door.  This meant that I spent about an hour looking around the dungeon for a place to use those heavy tablets before looking up online that it's all linked to a quest in an area that I haven't even been yet.  Other minor gripe is that support pawns don't level up, so giving them equipment was a mistake.  Overall, really enjoying the game so far, especially the combat, and think it's a great take on the genre after getting burned out on Skyrim.  Kind of ashamed I didn't play it earlier though.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...