Impossible to get A rank - Rarity Calculation bug on the site

You

No idea how ranks are calculated but when a game has easy trophies and the platinum rate is high, it seems to be impossible to get an A. I've noticed this twice now. For example I have hitman go and right now I am at 98%, one bronze trophy off 100%, except my rank is B. The next trophy I would get takes me straight to platinum, and a rank S, in other words it is impossible to get an A.

http://psnprofiles.com/trophies/4367-Hitman-GO-Definitive-Edition/enaysoft

Edited by enaysoft

No idea how ranks are calculated but when a game has easy trophies and the platinum rate is high, it seems to be impossible to get an A. I've noticed this twice now. For example I have hitman go and right now I am at 98%, one bronze trophy off 100%, except my rank is B. The next trophy I would get takes me straight to platinum, and a rank S, in other words it is impossible to get an A.

http://psnprofiles.com/trophies/4367-Hitman-GO-Definitive-Edition/enaysoft

Ranks are based on the average completion percentage of the game, which is rank C. S and F are the only fixed ranks (100% and 0% respectively). E and D are divided between F and C. Same goes for B and A. With Hitman Go 99% would be rank A, but since you only need one more trophy, you won't reach 99% completion and go straight to Rank S. 

Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 2

Why would you not want an S rank?

It's pretty clear that he's saying he thinks he should have rank A (not B) at 98%, not that he thinks he should have rank A (not S) at 100%.

However, I really don't think this is a bug/worth addressing. It's an interesting piece of trivia, but there's nothing wrong with it.

• Like 1

Thanks for the explanation Dragon-Archon. Not using an averaging ratio. that's an interesting calculation you've got going on there

By this logic I guess, the opposite is also true, if a game is incredibly difficult then even getting a single bronze would jump your rank from F to D and it would be unobtainable to get an E?

Hitman has a lot of golds, therefore like a PSN (this also happened to Devil Doodle) there are not enough trophies to be able to get 99% Well, I see it as a bug anyway. But I guess, for certain, no urgency for a fix, just something I noticed.

Thanks for reading. :)

The point of the website's rarity values and ranks are that you're comparing it to other PSNProfiles users. That's why the trophy rarity values are not accurate to everyone who owns the game - they're based on PSNP stats only, same for the ranks being averaged. They could switch to making the ranks points-based, but that's not really their point.

Thanks for the explanation Dragon-Archon. Not using an averaging ratio. that's an interesting calculation you've got going on there

By this logic I guess, the opposite is also true, if a game is incredibly difficult then even getting a single bronze would jump your rank from F to D and it would be unobtainable to get an E?

Hitman has a lot of golds, therefore like a PSN (this also happened to Devil Doodle) there are not enough trophies to be able to get 99% Well, I see it as a bug anyway. But I guess, for certain, no urgency for a fix, just something I noticed.

Thanks for reading. :)

Yeah, for example Dragon Fin Soup has an average completion of 1%. Getting any trophy will put that at rank C.

Hitman has a lot of golds, therefore like a PSN (this also happened to Devil Doodle) there are not enough trophies to be able to get 99%

Not just PSN titles. Since the percentage is always rounded down and platinums don't count towards the completion percentage, there are about 80 titles in total that can even get a 99% completion.

Yes.

I have an "A" rank in Dragon Fin Soup despite earning only 1 trophy.

I have an "A" rank in PlanetSide 2 despite earning only 1 trophy.

I have a "C" rank in Travel Bug despite earning only 1 trophy.

The list goes on.