Hollowing - Possible spoilers?

StrickenBiged

Hey PSNP,

So I found the weird, hunched over sorcerer guy in the Firelink Shrine last night and he asked whether I wanted to draw out my true strength.

I said, "hell yes!" 

Guy gave me a attribute point and I thought that was that. 

Then, after dying a few times, I found that I was starting to look a little... skeletal. I then noticed a "hollowing" stat in my character stat screen. 

Went back to speak to the sorcerer and he offered me another attribute point. Sweet!

I also noticed that I've now got a Dark Sigil on my inventory after I spoke to the lady who lets you level up - I am so bad with names in these games, I know - offered to heal it (for an extortionate amount of souls!).

So, my questions are:

What the hell is going on? Do I want to be hollow? Is it sort of like the insight stat in Bloodborne? What happens if I reverse it? Do I need to do it for any trophies?

Thanks all. All the best.

P.S. I'm sure I could just look on the wiki page but 1) I hate the ads there - they crash my machine more often than not, and 2) I prefer to speak to a community about these things - you get better answers. 

Thanks again!

You can get 5 free attribute points per playthrough of Yoel. Every couple of deaths you can go back to him and draw out your strength. After doing this 5 times he will die as he has fulfilled his duty aand will then be replaced by NPC Yuria. This is the start of the usurpation of fire ending which you'll want a guide for as it's very easy to lock yourself out of that ending. There is no downside to the hollowing or the Dark Sigil other than what you look like which if you're like me and always have a full suit of armour on, doesn't matter anyway.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info everyone.

the effect of hollowing does nothing to you just makes you look like a zombie, however if you keep getting the dark marks from the guy and keep going with it you can get the evil ending of the game

This is the start of the usurpation of fire ending which you'll want a guide for as it's very easy to lock yourself out of that ending. 

When you guys say that you can get the evil ending this way, is it always the case that you will? I.e. If I'm hollow is that my only option, ending-wise? Am I locked out of the other ending(s) as a hollow?

just to confirm: according to the wiki and personal experience, i can also attest to no sideeffects beside the visual one.

and you even need it for the usurper ending, so yeah, trophy relevant ;)

edit: ah, ninja'd

Edited by dernop

Thanks for the info everyone.

When you guys say that you can get the evil ending this way, is it always the case that you will? I.e. If I'm hollow is that my only option, ending-wise? Am I locked out of the other ending(s) as a hollow?

you can drop it all near the end like I did, once your about to fight the final boss and are ready to go you can make a back up save here and use the fire keeper to get rid of the dark marks so you won't get the evil ending but the cost of it is well a lot and also it will take away 5 levels from you.

you can drop it all near the end like I did, once your about to fight the final boss and are ready to go you can make a back up save here and use the fire keeper to get rid of the dark marks so you won't get the evil ending but the cost of it is well a lot and also it will take away 5 levels from you.

Ok, cool. I guess I'm going for the Hollowed ending on this PT then. 

I plan on playing the game in NG+ and NG++ anyway for all the endings, so I don't mind. 

Ok, cool. I guess I'm going for the Hollowed ending on this PT then. 

I plan on playing the game in NG+ and NG++ anyway for all the endings, so I don't mind.

Did you get the 5 free levels and get Yuria to show up before you beat the Abyss Watchers? Because if not then you have already locked yourself out of the usurpation ending.

Did you get the 5 free levels and get Yuria to show up before you beat the Abyss Watchers? Because if not then you have already locked yourself out of the usurpation ending.

Oh, right.

No, no Yuria in my Firelink yet, and yeah, I have just defeated the Abyss Walkers. 

Well, maybe I'm going for a different ending then. We'll see. 

Oh, right.

No, no Yuria in my Firelink yet, and yeah, I have just defeated the Abyss Walkers. 

Well, maybe I'm going for a different ending then. We'll see. 

Don't worry about it, the Yuria quest and that whole ending is so obscure it's not really meant to be done on your first playthrough.

Dammit. Might have to undo this Hollowing thing then, and get myself back on track for a different ending while I figure out what's going on.

the hollowing stat has absolutely NO effect on anything besides how your character looks, whatsoever. just to make sure you are aware of that?! :)

the hollowing stat has absolutely NO effect on anything besides how your character looks, whatsoever. just to make sure you are aware of that?! :)

Yeah, but if I'm going to look ugly, I at least want to get something out of it. Far prefer my guy looking fresh. 

Looking at the wiki, I may have screwed up the usurper ending. I did the Watchers of the Abyss before taking 5 levels from Yoel, and before the Cathedral of the Deep. Yuria has still turned up. I've popped into the Catacombs too, but not completed it. Finished the Cathedral last night, and the Blue Sentinels have both turned up in my Shrine. 

So I'm not sure if the wiki is being too prescriptive and I'm actually "ok", or whether I've already fucked up the usurper ending. Everything is happening as the Wiki says it should be, even though I've done things out of order. 

Yeah, but if I'm going to look ugly, I at least want to get something out of it. Far prefer my guy looking fresh. 

Looking at the wiki, I may have screwed up the usurper ending. I did the Watchers of the Abyss before taking 5 levels from Yoel, and before the Cathedral of the Deep. Yuria has still turned up. I've popped into the Catacombs too, but not completed it. Finished the Cathedral last night, and the Blue Sentinels have both turned up in my Shrine. 

So I'm not sure if the wiki is being too prescriptive and I'm actually "ok", or whether I've already fucked up the usurper ending. Everything is happening as the Wiki says it should be, even though I've done things out of order. 

I'm not entirely sure, but it sounds to me like you should still be fine. Just talk to Yuria, keep up with anri's quest and make sure you don't kill the boss in the catacombs before doing what is required for anri's quest first. 

I also really disliked looking hollowed but I waited until I got my 5 free levels in each playthrough before healing the dark sign which didn't really matter to be honest, because at that point it cost me 1.4 million souls to undo the mark, so it might just be the same if you heal the mark as soon as you finish the usurpation ending and then just use souls to level if you want (and you get the added bonus of no longer looking like a dried raisin sooner).

Edited by HellbornHunter

I'm not entirely sure, but it sounds to me like you should still be fine. Just talk to Yuria, keep up with anri's quest and make sure you don't kill the boss in the catacombs before doing what is required for anri's quest first. 

I also really disliked looking hollowed but I waited until I got my 5 free levels in each playthrough before healing the dark sign which didn't really matter to be honest, because at that point it cost me 1.4 million souls to undo the mark, so it might just be the same if you heal the mark as soon as you finish the usurpation ending and then just use souls to level if you want (and you get the added bonus of no longer looking like a dried raisin sooner).

Thanks. 

Yeah, I think that's the case. The wiki is internally inconsistent. The Endings page suggests I should be fine, so far, but the page I read earlier says that I've already fucked up. I'll try and follow the Endings page route, and see what happens. 

Would quite like not to look like jerky tho...