MGS5 Definitive Edition announced ( + Ground Zeros + All DLC)

It is ;)

package_pegi.jpg

That box art looks amazing, better than some movie posters.

On a side note how lost would I be if this was the only Metal Gear I were to play? I assume Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain just expand the story of V. But since it is highly praised I feel like many purchased this without playing the entire series.

Also is it true that Hideo Kojima largely worked on this game, but is not credited at all? I know they had a falling out, but come on Konami. Anyway I'm glad he is back making a game for Sony :)

• Like 1

The article skateak linked pretty much sums it up. Due to the deteriorating relationship between Kojima and Konami, it seems like Konami wanted the game pushed out of the door as soon as possible. As a result, things had to be cut. When people say TPP has no story, you can see why. The Konami these days are more about making mobile games and pachinko machines rather than big budget AAA titles.

While this might be true, I can't help but feel scorn at Kojima as well. What does he think - that he's allowed an infinite budget and an infinite deadline? Why in the world does it take so long for him to put his vision into code?

Milk that franchise for all you can Konami, no surprises there.

I'm waiting for them to release the DEFINITIVE definitive edition, with all the Metal Gear games (including the two original NES games) HD remastered with trophy support. You heard it here first!

Also is it true that Hideo Kojima largely worked on this game, but is not credited at all? I know they had a falling out, but come on Konami. Anyway I'm glad he is back making a game for Sony :)

He's credited in-game. The funny thing is, the credits are displayed at the start of each mission I believe. During the average playthrough, you'll end up seeing his name pop up a good 60 times or so. It makes me think he was just trolling them at that point.  xD Konami just removed his name from the box art. They also stopped him going to events prior to the launch of the game, wouldn't let him talk to the press, and they even prevented him from accepting an award at The Game Awards.

While this might be true, I can't help but feel scorn at Kojima as well. What does he think - that he's allowed an infinite budget and an infinite deadline? Why in the world does it take so long for him to put his vision into code?

I'm not sure how long exactly TPP was in development for, but I don't think the development cost was that outrageous considering how AAA development is these days. I mean games like GTAV or FFXV were a lot more expensive to develop. I just don't think Konami are cut out for AAA game development anymore. They would rather create mobile games, sports games, and cheap cash-ins since they usually tend to be low investment and high reward.

Edited by Undead Wolf
  • Like 1

And then when Metal Gear Survive is released they'll make a MGSV Ultimate edition...

Ahhh but MGS Survive is not Metal Gear and it will NOT survive as its just a cheap version of what MGS is really about. Survive is a non Hideo Kojima game, and that should tell you NOT to buy it.

Edited by snacklepuss
  • Like 1

Ahhh but MGS Survive is not Metal Gear and it will NOT survive as its just a cheap version of what MGS is really about. Survive is a non Hideo Kojima game, and that should tell you NOT to buy it.

Hideo Kojima didn't have much involvement with Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, yet a lot of people loved that game still.

• Like 1

Still going to buy Metal Gear Survive regardless if Kojima made it or not. For all we know it could be another Metal Gear Rising and do really well (unlikely though). I know it's not going to be anything like Kojima's previous work but I'd rather judge it for myself instead of relying on potentially misleading reviews (IGN).

Can't really sell it as the definitive experience of MGS V if it's still missing Chapter 3...

I got Ground Zeroes from Plus, and the DLC for The Phantom Pain seems to be cosmetic items, and other cash grab like things, so I have no real interest in getting this. I'll stick with my regular edition. Maybe if they actually included worthwhile additional content in this, like I dunno, the missing third chapter, maybe I'd get it. But this is Konami, so of course not.

#FucKonami

Read at your own risk, not sure if the article is spoiler free. http://gamerant.com/metal-gear-solid-5-story-cuts-512/

The article skateak linked pretty much sums it up. Due to the deteriorating relationship between Kojima and Konami, it seems like Konami wanted the game pushed out of the door as soon as possible. As a result, things had to be cut. When people say TPP has no story, you can see why. The Konami these days are more about making mobile games and pachinko machines rather than big budget AAA titles.

Everyone talking about Chapter 3 is getting really grating.

There never was a Chapter 3. Big Bad Konami didn't cut out of the game. The chapter card people found unlocks after Nuclear Disarmament and is basically just a congratulations card. Mission 51 was never the ending of the game and according to an official rep was always meant to be sold as DLC, extra content. 

It always amazes me how the MGS fanbase finds ways to excuse Kojima every single time he fucks up. 80 million dollars. 7 years of development time counting pre-production and yet we STILL don't blame him for the game's short comings. The games lack of cutscenes, etc are all creative choices done by Kojima. He talks about this in the commentary within the novelization of MGS V. Konami's to blame for not picking up KotF and finishing it after Kojima left, but the state the game is in is mostly on Kojima.

Someone brought up FFXV and you know what? that game probably WILL be a commercial disaster to some extent. It needs to sell 10 million just to break even. And we know how ridiculous Square Enix is with their expectations. GTA is an exception to every other series in the industry, they can afford to sink unlimited money into it because they know they'll get it all back in a week.

Except Kojima has wanted to stop making those games since MGS2? i'm glad he's doing something new. Dude's finally free from MGS.

Edited by HaSoOoN-MHD
  • Like 1