Hidden Profiles Bug

Did you earn another trophy after hiding all of your games? I don't think the site can pick up privacy changes unless another trophy is earned as it's stated in this thread.

The site was able to pick it up, otherwise my first post would sound slightly different. ;)

The profile of my friend is a good example. His profile is fully private for over a month, but nothing changed here. And yes, he keeps earning trophies. ;)

Edited by Gildenmagier
  • Like 2

May I ask, why you would want to hide your trophy achievements ? I understand privacy of your PS profile for other reasons.

No, you may not.

For the same reasons why I don't use Facebook, Twitter, or Google+, and for the same reasons, why I use Yandex Browser and the Tor network instead of trash like Firefox or Chrome. For the same reasons why I use DuckDuckGo instead of Google. For the same reasons why I use ProtonMail, an encrypted email-service based in Switzerland that uses a combination of public-key cryptography and symmetric encryption protocols to offer end-to-end encryption, instead of crap like Gmail. Oh, and for the same reasons why I refuse to use smartphones. I like to keep my stuff private - and with this I mean private, not just changing the profile visibility. No names, no games, no browser history, no gaming stats, and not even the size of my feet. Hell, not even the info that I have some. Got it? Good.

Edited by Gildenmagier

No, you may not.

For the same reasons why I don't use Facebook, Twitter, or Google+, and for the same reasons, why I use Yandex Browser and the Tor network instead of trash like Firefox or Chrome. For the same reasons why I use DuckDuckGo instead of Google. For the same reasons why I use ProtonMail, an encrypted email-service based in Switzerland that uses a combination of public-key cryptography and symmetric encryption protocols to offer end-to-end encryption, instead of crap like Gmail. Oh, and for the same reasons why I refuse to use smartphones. I like to keep my stuff private - and with this I mean private, not just changing the profile visibility. No names, no games, no browser history, no gaming stats, and not even the size of my feet. Hell, not even the info that I have some. Got it? Good.

So... you are a bit too paranoid? xD

I get things like not using social sites (I'm the same), but if you use forums here (seems to be that case due to having over 750 posts), why wouldn't you show your trophy information to users you seem to be interacting with?

• Like 2

So... you are a bit too paranoid? xD

I get things like not using social sites (I'm the same), but if you use forums here (seems to be that case due to having over 750 posts), why wouldn't you show your trophy information to users you seem to be interacting with?

Because I have no full control over it. I can only decide whether to show or hide this information. I cannot decide to make them visible only for friends on PSNP. That's not possible. So I decided not to show them at all. By the way, this has nothing to do with paranoia. You have to understand that you lose control over any information you provide to the internet. Edward Snowden gave information of tremendous value about the dimensions of data collecting. You don't have any control over it - they have. And they won't use it in your favor.

Let me give you an example. The following stats belong to you. You never play in the middle of the night, which is indicated by the number of trophies. The conclusion is that you have a job and have to get up early.

pppppppppppppppppppppscui8.png

The following stats are way more equal in terms of trophy distribution. Many trophies were earned during the night, which indicates unemployment. I know this player and I know, that he/she was without a job for many years. 

pppppppppppppppppppppw2qdc.png

As you see, just a simple chart reveals more about you than you'd think. I don't want that. It's my data and I want to keep 'em private. 

By the way, it's my goddamn business!

Edited by Gildenmagier
  • Like 1

The following stats are way more equal in terms of trophy distribution. Many trophies were earned during the night, which indicates unemployment. I know this play and I know, that he/she was without a job for many years. 

pppppppppppppppppppppw2qdc.png

As you see, just a simple chart reveals more about you than you'd think. I don't want that. It's my data and I want to keep 'em private. 

By the way, it's my goddamn business!

It could also be indicative of working a job in which the user has no control over which shift he or she must work. If the user had to work during first shift, second shift, and third shift on a rotating pattern (as hospitals can do for nurses) then this data could indicate that information. I know that it isn't in this case as you said you know the user, but it can show that data.

Edited by kuuhaku

It could also be indicative of working a job in which the user has no control over which shift he or she must work. If the user had to work during first shift, second shift, and third shift on a rotating pattern (as hospitals can do for nurses) then this data could indicate that information. I know that it isn't in this case as you said you know the user, but it can show that data.

You're right, but keep in mind that those data whores collect everything they can. If you use your PSN ID on other services, they can easily make a connection.

• Like 1

No, you may not.

for the same reasons, why I use ... the Tor network instead of trash like Firefox or Chrome. 

FYI tor isn't particularly better for privacy than not using it. At least in the US (not sure about Germany -- your profile says you're German, in case you want to do something about that too) the government can still identify you over tor. In fact, it's generally believed that the act of using tor is enough to put someone onto a watch list. Having "normal" internet traffic may be a better way of staying anonymous online in the sense that no one will care enough to look at you.

FYI tor isn't particularly better for privacy than not using it. At least in the US (not sure about Germany -- your profile says you're German, in case you want to do something about that too) the government can still identify you over tor. In fact, it's generally believed that the act of using tor is enough to put someone onto a watch list. Having "normal" internet traffic may be a better way of staying anonymous online in the sense that no one will care enough to look at you.

Do you even know how Tor works? 

My request is always encrypted until it reached its destination. On its way it's passing three random proxie servers, all of them have a separate encryption. The only known way to follow your traces is to compromise your computer... but I haven't seen anyone suspicious in my apartment lately. ;)

torx7s57.png

Let me give you an example. The following stats belong to you. You never play in the middle of the night, which is indicated by the number of trophies. The conclusion is that you have a job and have to get up early.

pppppppppppppppppppppscui8.png

Um... actually. You are wrong :)

I actually don't have a job yet. I simply sleep through that time period :) So... in fact, data do not give info about you. They only give others assumptions about yourself as an individual, that can be or not be correct like you proved just now :D

Frankly, if I had a job, I don't think I would have so clear distribution :D

Edited by Satoshi Ookami

Do you even know how Tor works? 

My request is always encrypted until it reached its destination. On its way it's passing three random proxie servers, all of them have a separate encryption. The only known way to follow your traces is to compromise your computer... but I haven't seen anyone suspicious in my apartment lately. ;)

torx7s57.png

There's other tor vulnerabilities besides someone manually interacting with your computer (since you bring it up, if a government agency had actually entered your apartment and compromised your computer, the only way you'd find out is when they told you at your trial).

There's articles from April and June (this one in June sets an interesting precedent in the US, it explicitly gives the government the right to spy on US citizens/people simply because they use tor) of this year on how the FBI is still inside tor despite the tor project's best efforts to improve anonymity. Certainly it'll be more worthwhile to spy on users of hidden services since they're the ones most likely to be doing illegal activity, but the users in general are advertising that they have something to hide so it's crazy to think that doesn't put you on a watch list.

Whatever vulnerability the FBI (or popularly believed, the NSA) used to identify the silk road servers is still unknown so probably still exists (since it's unknown it's unknown if it's only a vulnerability for hidden services or for users as well).

Plus there's the fact that governments are also running tor nodes...

it explicitly gives the government the right to spy on US citizens/people

Fortunately I'm not a US citizen.

Anyway, this thread is clearly derailing. It's about hiding your trophies, not about my personal views on having the right to be anonymous. Sly had surely read this, so now end this here. Feel free to send me a PM, if you wanna talk. Thänks.

Edited by Gildenmagier