We Play Metal Gear Solid 2

Checkpoint 3: Meet Pliskin and Beat 60 VR Missions (optional)

Discussion points for checkpoints 1 and 2 should be up hopefully by tomorrow.

Am currently up to this point now, just wandering to get as many dog tags as I can to make future run throughs easier.

For anyone who hasn't played this MGS before dog tags help replays.

The number of dog tags equal a points system to get end game items like Stealth or Infinite Grip

Edited by Psy-Tychist
  • Like 1

Yes I have been lazy I will have the questions up tomorrow. I was trying to write an article and got distracted.

Will join this event.

Good to have you joining man.

Sorry for the tardiness, everyone. Checkpoints 1&2 Completed.

Will reach checkpoint 3 soon. As for the dogtags and VR missions, I'm not that interested in them. Might do "Snake Tales" later on.

actually that was something I was wondering about are we doing Snake Tales?

Hey Buu, I am going to be catching up on this. The online on Arkham Origins is more of a pain in the arse than I predicted but as soon as that is done I will be on this. Good to see people enjoying it, I can't wait to visit this series again.

No worries I don't think we're too far in game time wise.

Discussion points for Tanker section if anyone wants to add anything just ask away

State the difficulty your playing on
1. On booting up the game did you see the amazing intro video that comes up if you leave the game to idle, what did you think of it?
2. Are you new to the MGS series, which games have you played and were you familiar with the plot of the earlier games? If not did you read the in game summaries?
3. So we have Snake walking along in the rain, what did you think of the opening cutscene and did you prefer the use of in game graphics for the cutscenes?
4. Visually do you think the game has aged well considering this was an early PS2 title?
5. With tutorials via the codec and the ability to call Otacon for help at anytime, what were your thoughts on this and did you think it was a good way to get guidance?
6. So when you finally get to control snake how did you find the controls?
7. With the Russians taking over the boat and things taking a turn for the worse, how did you decide to tackle your enemies (lethal/non-lethal/avoided)?
8. Do you find the amount of technical talking to be immersive or make the game harder to follow?
9. While infiltrating the boat did you trigger any funny moments or something you didn't know you could do happen that you want to share?
10. Did you ever expect the first boss in MGS 2 was going to be a pregnant lady? What did you think of the bosses introduction and did she give you a challenge?

11. Do you think the information that otacon was sent from E.E. was safe or a trap?
12. Did you manage to find the supressor for the socom and the thermal goggles (i'm not sure if they are available on the highest difficulties)?
13. How did you manage with the laser security?
14. When descending into the lower layers of the ship where you pass the guard with headphones did you manage to get through without being spotted (IIRC this is pretty hard to do first try)?
15. How did you handle the combat section here?
16. Going down into the holds did you dare to get all the dog tags off the marines in the crowd? How did you find this stealth section and did you have difficulty getting the photos?
17. On a scale of 1-10 how awesome is Ocelot/Shalshaska? Did you see that coming?

There's a lot worth remembering in those scenes, but as far as discussion goes we need to know more before a lot of this makes sense. If you have any questions, need help with tactics or anyting else just ask.

Edited by Superbuu3

So let's get on with it. I'm playing on Normal difficulty by the way, at least if that's the default one because I'm pretty sure I didn't change it.

I'm not putting these in spoiler tags (if you want me to do so I will, but I think everyone has played through the Tanker section by now).

1. I mentioned my reaction to the amazing intro video already, but just let me say again that it's a cinematic masterpiece and really inspires you to just start playing already. The thing I like the most about the intro is the soundtrack btw.
  2. I am new to MGS. I heard about it of course, because I'm pretty sure playing on a PS (and being quite into the trophy scene) you can't not have heard about Metal Gear Solid. What I had heard about them made me think they were pretty weird and out there games. Totally not my style, because I kinda want to be able to still understand the story of a game even if I leave it for a bit and then start playing again and I felt that MGS wouldn't be that for me. I didn't read any summaries before starting (I remember reading up on the series once, but it probably got confusing too quickly, and either way I don't remember much if anything of it). I only read like 9 pages when booting up MGS 2 on the extras menu or something?
  3. I thought that opening cutscene was a bit dramatic at first, but I can see how groundbreaking it would've been way back when. It's still pretty amazing and once again I think it was the soundtrack that really blew me away.
  4. The game has aged really well, the graphics are a little grainy and obviously pretty old school, but that doesn't really bother me.
  5. I'm pretty sure I missed something here about the tutorials and the codec? The only thing I can remember is that they went by way to quickly (I couldn't even read some of them) and they came right in between two cutscenes, so I couldn't really test anything and after 10 minutes I'd forgotten everything already. (So I probably should check this out?)
  6. The controls were a bit clunky at first. I'm kinda used to playing 'modern' games (spoiled, I know -_-), and I still haven't gotten the hang of flattening myself against a wall, then moving to first person then peeking out and shooting (please tell me if there's an easy way). Now I just look at the map and make sure I keep just out of range and then do headshots from the middle of the corridor.
  7. I think I just headshotted everyone...
  8. I don't really have a problem with the technical language (I am a computer/electronics student), I didn't even notice it actually, so it probably made it more immersive.
  9. I didn't really know you could shoot fire extinguishers, so that was cool. Shaking people for their dogtags was a lot of fun (even though I knew you could do it, it was fun to see it). Also making people spot you and then run around not able to find you when you're obviously just standing behind the wall :facepalm:. I was also pleasantly suprised you could crawl under tables and stuff to find ammo and rations. I didn't know that was possible.
  10. I must admit I was spoiled about the first boss... :blush: It's your fault honestly, I looked up who the first boss was to make sure I got the checkpoint instead of reading further and just seen I needed to finish the Tanker section. :facepalm: I don't know what to think of her yet, I think she's quite interesting though (and I hope there's nothing seriously wrong with her baby now...). I mentioned in a previous post she beat me like 6 times before I figured out how to defeat here and when I did, I did it in 30 seconds. I'm kinda glad I didn't figure it out immediately, it would've been too underwhelming probably.
  11. Definitely a trap. Seriously who trusts a message just because the initials might be the same as your sister?, step-sister?
  12. I do believe I have the thermal goggles (but only because I used them for the lasers). I don't know about the supressor, but I probably picked it up somewhere.
  13. I didn't, I blew up. And then I used the thermal goggles and shot the boxes in the right order...
  14. I didn't know there was a guy with headphones? So I probably got past him alright... or I shot him, that also works.
  15. I died. A lot. And then I just laid down somewhere so they would walk towards me I think? And I just kept shooting and hoping they wouldn't throw a grenade. I also used all my collected rations.
  16. What! There were dog tags on the marines?! Nooooo, :( I missed them. It's kinda ridiculous how those marines in the holds don't notice you, just running around behind them and taking pictures. With a really loud shutter sound -_- Having to take those photos was a really fun thing to do, a bit different from what I expected. Also the cutscenes are still amazing. Though I think I did get a weird glitch? My front-left photo was okay, Snake even said it was good :wub:, but I guess it didn't register when Otacon viewed them. No big deal, there isn't any sneaking involved with getting that picture.
  17. He's a 10, a solid 10. :eyebrow: :eyebrow: see what I did there. (I didn't see it coming, because I don't know anything about MGS).

Some of what I wrote down while watching the final Tanker cutscene:

And the best quote so far: "Is there a point to this sad story." All the backstabbing \o/ Lol, that epic slowmo though. And now I get why they call him Revolver Ocelot.
And then came the weird supernatural bit... (which I hope becomes a little, scratch that, a lot clearer)
I spent almost longer on all those cutscenes that on playing the game itself.
Great soundtrack
What the president is in on this too O_o

Wow, this is long... sorry for all the :blah:

Edited by FFHannibal
  • Like 1

Discussion points for Tanker section if anyone wants to add anything just ask away

1. On booting up the game did you see the amazing intro video that comes up if you leave the game to idle, what did you think of it?

2. Are you new to the MGS series, which games have you played and were you familiar with the plot of the earlier games? If not did you read the in game summaries?

3. So we have Snake walking along in the rain, what did you think of the opening cutscene and did you prefer the use of in game graphics for the cutscenes?

4. Visually do you think the game has aged well considering this was an early PS2 title?

5. With tutorials via the codec and the ability to call Otacon for help at anytime, what were your thoughts on this and did you think it was a good way to get guidance?

7. With the Russians taking over the boat and things taking a turn for the worse, how did you decide to tackle your enemies (lethal/non-lethal/avoided)?

8. Do you find the amount of technical talking to be immersive or make the game harder to follow?

9. While infiltrating the boat did you trigger any funny moments or something you didn't know you could do happen that you want to share?

10. Did you ever expect the first boss in MGS 2 was going to be a pregnant lady? What did you think of the bosses introduction and did she give you a challenge?

11. Do you think the information that otacon was sent from E.E. was safe or a trap?

12. Did you manage to find the supressor for the socom and the thermal goggles (i'm not sure if they are available on the highest difficulties)?

14. When descending into the lower layers of the ship where you pass the guard with headphones did you manage to get through without being spotted (IIRC this is pretty hard to do first try)?

16. Going down into the holds did you dare to get all the dog tags off the marines in the crowd? How did you find this stealth section and did you have difficulty getting the photos?

17. On a scale of 1-10 how awesome is Ocelot/Shalshaska? Did you see that coming?

There's a lot worth remembering in those scenes, but as far as discussion goes we need to know more before a lot of this makes sense. If you have any questions, need help with tactics or anyting else just ask.

Done!:

1. I saw it alright. It was an awesome way to get hyped about the game. Definitely my favorite MGS opening.

2. I'm not new to the MGS series. I'm a three-year vet. :P I've played all main games (MGS2,3,4,PW,GZ,PP), the only games I find them really are to play are the MSX ones and MGS1.

3. The opening is by far one of the best moments in the game and the entire saga. It was a dramatic because it was building up the tone of the story and I've have to say either in 2001 or 2016 it still blew me away. I choose in-game graphics because the game holds up well. :wub:

4. It aged surprisingly well if you compare it Grand Theft Auto III, Devil May Cry, and Ratchet and Clank.

5. I thought it was cool and provided interesting and at times funny banter between Snake and Otacon.  :lol:

6. I've played the game many times before so it all felt natural. :P

7. non-lethal at first, but when i was down in the holds, I had to go lethal. I was undetected until I was caught by Dolph and the soldiers while they were practicing....  :facepalm:

8. No, it easy to follow if understood past events via summaries. Though I have to admit it was pretty hard to follow regardless.  :blink:

9. Not in this playthrough. But I once hid in a locker and in front of me was a hot model poster, I triggered a funny codec call from Otacon and got the "Snake Beater" trophy. :eyebrow:

10. No. It was hardly a challenge for the Legendary Solid Snake.  B)

11. I think it was safe at first but after the Gurlokuvitch take over it went for the worst.

12. Bah, I missed the suppressor! But i did find the thermal goggles so that good.  :)

13. Shot the devices with the USP.

14. Nah, I gave him a head-shot with the Beretta. 

15. All ended in bloodshed unfortunately... -_-

16. No, didnt bother.

17. Over 9,000! I love Ocelot and he's even more wacky this time around. I wish I was a kick-ass cool gunslinger like he is. It first, hell no. :blink:

I'm being preoccupied with Dishonored 2 at the moment but I will find time to clear the checkpoint.

• Like 1

3. So we have Snake walking along in the rain, what did you think of the opening cut-scene and did you prefer the use of in game graphics for the cut-scenes?

11. Do you think the information that Otacon was sent from E.E. was safe or a trap?

12. Did you manage to find the suppressor for the SOCOM and the thermal goggles (i'm not sure if they are available on the highest difficulties)?

17. On a scale of 1-10 how awesome is Ocelot/Shalashaska? Did you see that coming?

There's a lot worth remembering in those scenes, but as far as discussion goes we need to know more before a lot of this makes sense. If you have any questions, need help with tactics or anything else just ask.

My thoughts below:

1. The opening idle sequence is great, really shows Kojima's directorial feel towards games. The music is also sublime, very uplifting yet serious.

2. If you class playing all the MGS except GS and V as a Veteran, that would be what I am. I was hooked after playing the old MGS demo on OPM (when they did demo discs).

3. In RPG's or RTS's the use of rendered cut-scenes is more normal. I prefer the fact of keeping the game flowing by using the game engine and graphical fidelity as it was. 

4. Considering some games you see on the PS4 with graphics just comparable to this, just shows how far they pushed the hardware. Also, you can still see the small touches of dripping when you come inside from the rain :)

5. To start with, they are all too frequent but that grows on you. The more you play, the less you require to use them and it makes asking for help easy. I enjoy faking saving just for Otacon to try and say some traditional proverbs :)

6. Muscle Memory always helps  xD  but it is actually quite fluid. Buttons are in good places for the more obvious options and as long as you don't mash, they do what they say.

7. I always played MGS after the first one non-lethally, proper stealth. Although, the infinitely respawning guards are a trope now...

8. Some of the language is full on military jargon, but it meshes nicely with the game as a whole.

9. I do love the things that happen with lockers, there are so many  xD 

10. That was always interesting, but shows that regardless of your profession, pregnant woman are tough as nails. Nice difficulty, she has some cool tricks which help you think outside the box.

11. It was always going to seem fishy to anyone, but I think that E.E was trying to help.

12. Yes, I found both, although the thermal goggles didn't really help much overall.

13. It's easy on much lower difficulties, only having one box to break....

14. Funnily enough, I had no probs with him. It was the lazy fucker who was snoring against the hold which got me.

15. I always found this part of the forced Alert a little annoying as you are unsure as to where is best to stand.

16. I did get them all on Very Easy, good job there was only 4 needed to be got on this difficulty. Always love Otacon's reaction to the Marine with no pants...

17. Ocelot is king of the drama, that's why we love him. :)

• Like 1

I've now reached checkpoint 3. Here are my answers to the discussion questions:

Playing on Very Easy - I can handle a higher difficulty level, but I want to go for no alerts on this playthrough, as well as hopefully picking up a few other trophies.

As I've already played the game before and am familiar with the story, I will answer the questions as if it were my first playthrough so as to make sure I don't spoil anything for those of us who are new to MGS2.

1. If that intro doesn't get you pumped up then I don't know what will! One of my favourite pieces of video game music of all time. I also liked that some letters in the names of the staff appear like element symbols in molecular diagrams - the first game had a metal gear that could fire nukes; maybe this time we're dealing with a metal gear that uses chemical weaponry?

2. I've played each of the first 4 MGS games before. I've played MGS2 more than any of the others; maybe 5 or 6 playthroughs on the PS2 and once so far on PS3.

3. When I saw Snake jump off the bridge, I thought he was committing suicide for a second. The rest of the opening sets the scene for the tanker chapter well, but maybe they could have quickly recapped the Shadow Moses incident to help those players unfamiliar with MGS1 to understand things better. The in-game graphics work OK for the cutscenes.

4. Well, we are playing the remastered version and not the original, so it should look good :). But the original still looks OK by modern standards, it's aged better than most early PS2 games.

5. Otacon's advice makes things so much easier. Having said that, calling him for help sometimes just results in him stating the obvious.

6. I found the controls intuitive for the most part, but when hanging, I always forget whether it's triangle or X to pull myself back up, and I sometimes struggle to do the slow release of the fire button without shooting.

7. I'm using the tranquiliser gun to take down as many enemies as I can. I normally try to sneak past with as little shooting as possible, but I want to get the trophy for 100 tranquiliser takedowns this playthrough. Also, going for no alerts, I don't want to take any chances.

8. All the talk about technical details was a great addition. It adds so much immersion to the experience.

9. Otacon's talk about "The Deep family's fish" is one of the funniest things I've ever heard in a game. When in the crew lounge, I just can't resist the urge to put a bullet through the TV screen or the liquor bottles. Also, I had one funny death - after taking out the guard near the laser trap on Deck D, I accidentally dragged his body into the beams when shaking him down.  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

10. Not entirely unexpected, given MGS's track record with bosses. There's always an interesting wrinkle or backstory. Not much of a challenge as Olga's shots don't do much damage and she's easily deceived, but having to work around that spotlight was a pain until I found that it could be shot out.

11. Otacon seems like a shrewd man - I don't think he would have sent Snake on this mission if he thought something was amiss.

12. Managed to find both the suppressor and the thermal goggles. I always like to explore thoroughly.

13. I used the fire extinguisher to reveal the lasers on Deck D, then shot out the control box on the way back just to be absolutely safe. It took me a while to find the control box for the lasers near the holds, but I was able to make the shot without hitting the explosives.

14. The guard with headphones didn't cause me any trouble, I just put a tranquiliser dart into his head as soon as he reached the corner. It's the sleepy guard a bit later that's the real danger - needs good timing to pass unnoticed.

15. I found this fight quite difficult - the grenades that the soldiers throw at you do a lot of damage and you really have to pay attention to notice them coming. I tried a stun grenade at first, but succeeded only in dropping it at my own feet, so I switched to the M9. I wasted a lot of shots as the guys in the back always seem to roll out of the way just as I got my aim lined up. Fortunately, the last three soldiers that walk towards your position all got stuck on something, so they were easy pickings.  :)

16. I'm not going for the dog tags - just trying to get through undetected. I got caught in the first hold after I made too much noise by running on the metal grates, but I crawled next time and got through undetected. I went through the hatch under the floor, which brought me out in the perfect place to get the photo of the MARINES lettering. My other 3 photos were all acceptable as well, even though the one from the right was blocked a little by the scaffolding.

17. Easily a 10 - he's every bit as awesome as Snake himself. I really wish they would make a game where we could play as Ocelot. I didn't expect him to seize control of Metal Gear there and then!

Edited by Melanogaster1987
  • Like 1

I know a lot of people are moving fairly slowly because of other games but I don't want people having to wait, there's likely a huge amount of cutscenes so should keep people occupied for a while.

Checkpoint 4: Defeat the first Dead Cell member and Beat 80 VR Missions (optional)

Edited by Superbuu3

Joined a little late then had to order the game haha . Just completed checkpoint 1 &2 . Will probably have the other two done by mid week.

Once I stopped crouching on the ground for no reason and just failing at the freeze! Action in general I started really enjoying the game.

Snakes butt cheeks were very defined ... I wasn't prepared for that.

Joined a little late then had to order the game haha . Just completed checkpoint 1 &2 . Will probably have the other two done by mid week.

Once I stopped crouching on the ground for no reason and just failing at the freeze! Action in general I started really enjoying the game.

Snakes butt cheeks were very defined ... I wasn't prepared for that.

You'll be glad to know as the series progresses the suits gets tighter and more HD :P

• Like 1

I did want to put up anopther checkpoint but as no one has reached Checkpoint 4 (too my knowledge looks like we're going to have to take it slower).

Also as were running behind my planned schedule (I was planning on finishing 2 and 3 by Christmas and then do PW over the holidays) anyone want to do the discussion stuff for 3 as I don't know how consistently i'm going to be online when were into the second half of that game.

Anyway I'll figure something out, even if I just have to make the discussions for 3 now and just have them ready to post at the appropriate times.

I'm not at checkpoint 3 or 4 yet, but feel free to start the discussion. Coursework and deciding to upgrade my PS4 and PS3 hard drives have kept me from playing some more. I was planning to get some Metal Gear in yesterday after I upgraded my PS3, but apparently backing up 160GB takes over 4 hours -_-. So as I'm typing this my PS3 is whirring up a storm next to me trying to update the software and then I have to restore my backup (I hope to God that it doesn't take another 4 hours, because I really want to play some Metal Gear).

Edit: 8 hours and 20 minutes... It's going to take 8 hours and 20 minutes -_-

Edited by FFHannibal

General question are blood splatters toned down in this game? I think they are since the PS2 version not sure if i imagined it.

Checkpoint 5: Talk to Ames and Beat 100 VR Missions (optional)

Discussion points 3 and 4:

Difficulty?

Honestly there is going to be a lot of difficulty answering these questions if you've played the game before try not to reveal any spoilers in your answers

1. Were you suprised by the character change or did you already figure it out with the change of voice? Did you actually care that they changed character?

2. What do you think this meant for Snake's fate?

3. Did you manage to follow any of the details about oil spills, chlorides and potentially the greatest environmental disaster ever?

4. (Dont answer if you've played before) Who do you think knocked out all the guards ahead of you? You had a couple of opportunities to see them if you pay attention.

5. Do you think Raiden would have suvived his encounter with Vamp without Iroquois Pliskin's help?

6. (Don't post spoilers about things we dont know at this point in the game) Do you trust Pliskin? What did you think of the dialogue where both seem extremely suspicious of the other?

7. How many things did you spot that Pliskin does that raise your suspicions regardless of if you trust him? (this is more a test to see if you paid attention to dialogue)

8. Who got the better entrance Vamp/Revolver Ocelot/Fortune? Did you like the cutscenes?

9. How hard did you find the bomb hunting? If you played before did you remember all the locations?

10. By this point you have some insight into the Dead Cell Members what do you think of their stories and powers do they interest you?

11. Did you waste your time trying to shoot Fortune in her boss fight, what did you think of an inclusion of a boss fight where you can't do anything? What do you think of Raiden's aim when he accidentally kills Vamp while aiming for Fortune in the cutscene? Did you feel robbed of a boss fight? If you've not played before who do you think Fortune is waiting for?

12. Did Fatman live up to your expectations? Did you enjoy the mix of combat and bomb diffusal? How long did it take you to get the final bomb Fatman was hiding?

13. Do you trust the Cyborg Ninja?

Checkpoint 5 reached.

I've played this game many times before, but I'm still discovering things - here's some cool stuff I found whilst goofing off in the room where the hostages are being held...

You can tranquilise the guard, and if you do this, when he is asked "Why are you late with your status report?", he will sleep-talk his way through his report (and his boss will not be happy with him sleeping on the job)! However, as soon as you put him to sleep, Ames' heartbeat mysteriously becomes normal again, and you can't call out to him even if you've pinpointed exactly which person Ames is.

I then wondered what would happen if I shot out the guard's radio - don't do this as it's an instant game over!

Also, I never knew about the thermal goggles on the podium until now - every single time I've played MGS2, Ames has always appeared in the bottom right corner of the room - it never occurred to me to see if there were any items over on the left.

• Like 1