We Play Metal Gear Solid 2

I was hoping to play a little bit tonight, but I forgot I hadn't installed the HD collection already and it went from 4 minutes left to 15, which it has been stuck on for the past 30 minutes. So I guess I'll just let it install, but I probably won't be playing tonight. I think my very first time playing MGS should deserve me not being tired (and able to play at least more than an hour). I'm also going to be watching all the cutscenes, so it'll take me more than an hour to get to the first checkpoint.

Those cutscenes really are the bee's knees, wow. Even before the game really started I was staring at my screen in what I can only describe as awe. Being new to the series, I kinda felt MGS was blown way out of proportion and it seriously couldn't be that great as a franchise, but boy was I wrong. The music, the scenes, the names on the screen, it really felt like the intro to a movie and that's before actually starting the game :jaymon: My only complaint is the 'grainy' footage, but that was kinda expected.

I left all the options completely the same and contemplated briefly if I should read up on the general story :hmm: , but I decided not to (aside from that one article with its 9 or so pages I think). I was kinda worried about not being able to follow the story, the characters, etc. but so far it's going really well. It took a few, no a lot of, cutscenes before I could actually play and it didn't really help that the 'tutorial' was shown before those scenes. I'm going to stop here, because I feel like I could wax poetic about this game for a long while. But a game that can have me dying on the first boss like 6 times before I finally figure out how to properly shoot :facepalm:  and not have me putting it down immediately is quite something (it might even be :wub: ).

• Like 4

But a game that can have me dying on the first boss like 6 times before I finally figure out how to properly shoot :facepalm:  and not have me putting it down immediately is quite something (it might even be :wub: ).

I spent 20 minutes in a highly intense battle with the fire extinguisher, neither of us prepared to give ground. Everytime I tried to shoot it, it would artfully dodge out of the line of fire. Discovering the first person aim mode after being blown up by those lasers in frustration 5 times was truly a game defining moment. The first boss has nothing on that fire extinguisher.

• Like 3

I spent 20 minutes in a highly intense battle with the fire extinguisher, neither of us prepared to give ground. Everytime I tried to shoot it, it would artfully dodge out of the line of fire. Discovering the first person aim mode after being blown up by those lasers in frustration 5 times was truly a game defining moment. The first boss has nothing on that fire extinguisher.

You have no idea how accurate that description is.

Played through the Tanker, just over 1hr to complete the level and I think I got all the dogtags.

Grinding grip out is a bit of a bore but very helpful :)

Will try out a couple of VR missions to keep me fresh.

• Like 1

Surprisingly I managed to hit the fire extinguisher fairly quick, but then I just walked straight into the lasers and triggered the bombs for no reason at all :facepalm: . I also keep crouching and lying down for no apparent reason, it really is quite amusing.

I'll be trying to complete the Tanker tomorrow and hoping that I've miraculously gotten skilled by then.

Edited by FFHannibal

You'll be glad to know the controls in all the other games are a lot less convoluted, although there's hundreds of more interactions in the later games. The version of MGS 3: Snake Eater  in the HD collection had a movable camera put in, although I don't know if its the default option, but theres an option to change it to movable. It definitely is a testament to how intersting the game is that the overly complex buttons you eventually jut deal with it because you're enjoying the game too much. I still find it hilarious how complex it is to jump out of cover, while pressed to a wall to turn around and aim in first person, which I think needs at least 3 or 4 buttons pressed.

Remember if anything is confusing you do feel free to ask about it, I haven't posted much, but I am keeping an eye on the thread.

• Like 1

I didn't sign up for the we play but I am playing it right now.  I'm playing on hard and trying to get all of the Dog Tags.  The controls do taking some getting used to.  Just keep at it.  I've done a couple of VR missions but I'm OC about getting the best score and so I'm stuck on like the 4th or 5th one in stealth.  I'll be playing along with you guys for another playthrough at least.  I'm about to boot it up now, maybe I'll try to not be so obsessive over the VR.  

How is everyone doing on the game so far?

I'm about 18% on the VR missions for one character so far, has anyone tried the missions yet?

I haven't done the VR missions from scratch, but I was already a decent amount in I think I know on the two initial characters getting 1st place ranks was relatively easy.

For me the Tanker stage itself doesn't take long as I used to play the crap out of it, I think I left off in the hold, but I was waiting on people to actually let me know when they finished the tanker so I can watch the cutscenes and come up with some decent discussion. I do love how awesome the cutscenes are in this as they really don't get old no matter how many times I have seen them.

Has anyone cleared the tanker section yet?

I do love the cutscenes, especially later on with the Codec moments...

I played the hell out of it on PS2, got to Extreme mode but Fortune is a pain in the ass.

But, I'm getting ahead of myself a bit.

I didn't play on extreme on PS2 as I couldn't do the bits you need to rapidly press a button. I'll see if I bother on this version.

Did you have another checkpoint in mind Buu?

I think its time we just did one as a lot of people aren't responding. I'm not sure how long that is into the plant but i'm pretty sure thats before any boss fights. However there is a crapload of cutscenes before that point.

Checkpoint 3: Meet Pliskin and Beat 60 VR Missions (optional)

Discussion points for checkpoints 1 and 2 should be up hopefully by tomorrow.

Edited by Superbuu3

I think its time we just did one as a lot of people aren't responding. I'm not sure how long that is into the plant but i'm pretty sure thats before any boss fights. However there is a crapload of cutscenes before that point.

Checkpoint 3: Meet Pliskin and Beat 60 VR Missions (optional)

Discussion points for checkpoints 1 and 2 should be up hopefully by tomorrow.

Hey Buu, I am going to be catching up on this. The online on Arkham Origins is more of a pain in the arse than I predicted but as soon as that is done I will be on this. Good to see people enjoying it, I can't wait to visit this series again.