Note to All Military Personnel: DON'T WORK ON MILITARY VIDEO GAMES!

DanielVT

This story bothered me. These SEALS sacrifice all they have day in and day out for this country. They get Osama bin Laden, and now they seem to always be getting in trouble. I really do not think that they put anything in Medal of Honor: Warfighter that would compomise our security. I did not see any brand new tactics or weapons I have never seen before. I say this is ridiculous and is the Navy being "petty" (see what I did the.....nvm :P ) All content below is Gameinformers, and can be found at: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/11/08/navy-seals-face-disciplinary-action-for-consulting-on-medal-of-honor.aspx

Navy SEALs Face Disciplinary Action For Consulting On Medal of Honor

by Matt Helgeson on November 08, 2012 at 08:45 PM

610Untitled-3.jpg

In the press and marketing for its military FPS Medal of Honor, Electronic Arts stressed that it was going for authenticity by consulting with active military personnel. Now, seven of the Navy SEALs that consulted with EA on the game are being disciplined by the military for revealing secrets.

CBS News is reporting that members of SEAL Team Six -- one of whom participated in the killing of notorious terrorist Osama Bin Laden -- will face disciplinary action for the revealing confidential information in during their time consulting on the game. The SEALs were paid for the work by Electronic Arts.

In addition, four members of SEAL Team Six who have moved to other parts of the military since working on Medal of Honor are under investigation. All the SEALs supposedly revealed classified information given to them by the Navy to EA.

According to the report, the seven who have been disciplined received "letters of reprimand" and had half of their pay docked for two months. Apparently, letters of reprimand have a cost to a military career, and have a negative impact on a SEAL's chances for further promotion within the Navy.

Source: CBS News via Kotaku

Email the author Matt Helgeson, or follow on Twitter, and Game Informer.

• Like 1

If the revealed classified information the military has every right to take action. While it may seem stupid to us there are reasons information is classified and the SEAL members willingly gave that information to the developers. I hope there is no serious trouble for them, of course.

Parker

• Like 3

The military has a lot of rules that you don't normally hear about... one of them is that they are not suppose to support a cause or seek profit because of their status in the military. They represent our country and that is all they are suppose to represent until their service is over. I'm seen multiple military personnel run into trouble for doing events for charity in uniform and I know that there's more that I don't hear about.

Of course, the government is also still holding the theory that terrorists play FPS games to train in US tactics..

• Like 3

While I don't agree they shouldn't have put out classified information for the game, I also don't think they should receive the harshest of treatment. These SEALS have pretty much given their lives away for the country they believe in and I don't think these guys shouldn't be dishonorably discharge if it comes to that.

As for the game itself, these guys should've really kept their mouths shut. Maybe it's the copy I rented, but this game has to be a joke in some way. The game has a poor framerate, the story seems to be all over the place (at least for me), it's constant explosions left and right make it hard to identify and comprehend the situation in an "emotional experience" make it hard for me to care for what is going on. I'm towards the final chapters of the game and I've yet to understand what is really going on.

With saying that, there are some good things here and there. I absolutely adore the driving sections of the game which "changes it up" from other military FPS and the foot chase, while great in concept, should have been worked on more to make it feel a bit more intense. Some of the level design is actually pretty cool with one level having you navigate through a city that's flooded which I found to be quite interesting, and if done better, could have made me feel "on edge" to get in and out quickly.

Honestly, I'm being too nice on this game but what the hell? It's nothing to praise but if you've literally nothing to do and have $2 for a Redbox, just play it for a day or so and let go. I'm glad some people are liking it more than me and hope they felt their money was well worth it (I'm talking to you, DanielVT (you never gave me your review :(;))) but I don't even feel my $2 was well spent. The MP on the other hand was OK and hopefully the more I spend with it, the better it gets?? :huh:

But you know if it was Activision, they would've slipped a few grand underneath the table :ninja:

Edited by scotty243
  • Like 1

These SEALS have pretty much given their lives away for the country they believe in and I don't think these guys shouldn't be dishonorably discharge if it comes to that.

Sorry, but I can't agree with this sentiment. When you join the military, you agree to abide by a particularly strict set of rules, including what you can and cannot do both inside the military and outside it. That they've done what they did isn't an excuse -- rules are rules, and the SEALs in question voluntarily agreed to them and need to abide by their word.

It seems to me that everyone has a "good reason" for breaking rules these days, and "mitigating circumstances" to throw up as an excuse to why they shouldn't be punished. Frankly, if you commit the crime you should serve the time, regardless.

[media=]

[/media]

I just shared military tactics !! Now arrest me !

Oh, man you are hysterical. That made me laugh! :P

While I don't agree they shouldn't have put out classified information for the game, I also don't think they should receive the harshest of treatment. These SEALS have pretty much given their lives away for the country they believe in and I don't think these guys shouldn't be dishonorably discharge if it comes to that.

As for the game itself, these guys should've really kept their mouths shut. Maybe it's the copy I rented, but this game has to be a joke in some way. The game has a poor framerate, the story seems to be all over the place (at least for me), it's constant explosions left and right make it hard to identify and comprehend the situation in an "emotional experience" make it hard for me to care for what is going on. I'm towards the final chapters of the game and I've yet to understand what is really going on.

With saying that, there are some good things here and there. I absolutely adore the driving sections of the game which "changes it up" from other military FPS and the foot chase, while great in concept, should have been worked on more to make it feel a bit more intense. Some of the level design is actually pretty cool with one level having you navigate through a city that's flooded which I found to be quite interesting, and if done better, could have made me feel "on edge" to get in and out quickly.

Honestly, I'm being too nice on this game but what the hell? It's nothing to praise but if you've literally nothing to do and have $2 for a Redbox, just play it for a day or so and let go. I'm glad some people are liking it more than me and hope they felt their money was well worth it (I'm talking to you, DanielVT (you never gave me your review :(;))) but I don't even feel my $2 was well spent. The MP on the other hand was OK and hopefully the more I spend with it, the better it gets?? :huh:

But you know if it was Activision, they would've slipped a few grand underneath the table :ninja:

Review? When did I promise that??? Man am I forgetful! lol What kind of review would you like, and also, would you like me to explain the campaign to you? I played it through a bit over three times, so I understand it pretty well I think.

Oh, man you are hysterical. That made me laugh! :P

Review? When did I promise that??? Man am I forgetful! lol What kind of review would you like, and also, would you like me to explain the campaign to you? I played it through a bit over three times, so I understand it pretty well I think.

Haha, the day of release. I just finished the campaign and have absolutely no idea what the story was even about. What's your thoughts on the campaign? I honestly thought MoH (2010) was more gripping and interesting since there wasn't a real plot, persae. It's not like they were chasing PETN over the world, instead it was a bunch of small operations that happened to integrate with each other towards the end for a pretty intense last few hours, at least from what I remember.

But I did find enjoyment during one mission, in the Chernobyl-type city towards the end. It was nice not having a breach every few minutes or so. The breaches made me chuckle though. Either way, the door is still going to be open :P