Marvel vs Capcom Infinite InfoHub

MvC LOGO.jpg

Welcome to the Marvel vs Capcom Infinite InfoHub*!

This thread will be all about any news and updates regarding MvC Infinite. I will do my best to keep this thread updated when new information is revealed. This thread is used to 1. Inform and 2. to possibly reduce the number of threads created for this game.  Any conversations about the game or series is encouraged. Please let me know if I have missed anything.**

Spoiler

*Name is WIP

**I know there is already a thread about this, but this thread's OP will focus on the game's development.

Saturday December 3rd, 2016

• Marvel vs Capcom Infinite announced at PSX
  • Coming in 2017
  • 4 Characters announced; Iron Man, Ryu, Captain Marvel, and X
  • Infinity stones revealed
  • Game is now 2v2 instead of 3v3
  • Game will feature a cinematic story mode

Sunday December 4th, 2016

• Captain America and Morrigan revealed in an extended gameplay trailer

April 25th 2017

April 27th, 2017

New gameplay trailer has been released 

Thanks @marvelboy10 for linking the video

Thread is dead, game looks like trash

Edited by OhDearGodRun
  • Like 2

I'm interested in finding out what the controls are like. Wasn't keen on MvC3's 3-button + Special setup.

Was watching VesperArcade's video on it yesterday - hoping it's set up like MvC2, which is possible because it does look like Ryu goes from Light Punch to Light Kick in one of his combos in the gameplay trailer. It also looks like Captain America does 2 Light Punches in a row. Whether that's just him not having a Medium Punch animation is unclear. Could be.

Given the interview they had at PSX, they want to make the game more accessible - so a 6 button setup would probably be too much. MvC2's scheme is simpler but also slightly more complex than MvC3/UMvC3's - complex enough that you don't feel braindead when you pull off a decent sized combo.

Hoping we get more info soon on that front.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

New trailer just came out and a release date of Sept 19, 2017 and 8 new fighters confirmed:

• Ultron
  • Hulk
  • Thor
  • Hawkeye
  • Rocket Raccoon
  • Chun-Li
  • Strider Hiryu
  • Chris Redfield

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/04/25/marvel-vs-capcom-infinite-launches-september-19-8-new-fighters-confirmed/

Edited by ruffedgz
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, marvelboy10 said:

Where is my boy Spidey? I'm super pumped for this game but seriously WHERE IS SPIDER-MAN? 

I hope we get a lot of Spiderman characters to make up for the loss of X-Men characters. It would be really cool to be able to play as characters like Venom, Carnage, Green Goblin, Mysterio and Kraven Hunter. 

• Like 1

Just now, ObliviousSenpai said:

I hope we get a lot of Spiderman characters to make up for the loss of X-Men characters. It would be really cool to be able to play as characters like Venom, Carnage, Green Goblin, Mysterio and Kraven Hunter. 

There are plenty and I mean plenty of more characters I wish they could fit in the game. But Spider-man characters would definitely be a plus. As well as cool alternate outfits like Spider man 2099 or Scarlet Spider. MVC infinite all the way! :D 

2 hours ago, ObliviousSenpai said:

Having Kraven would be rather awesome, but I doubt he would get announced, most of the time it seems to be more popular characters you know, like Ryu or Ken, Wolverine, Spider-Man and others like that.

But hey, would still be awesome, hell, I'd love for the Ustanak from RE6 to be playable.  I mean in number 3, we did get Nemesis in the end, so for this one, why not either Ustanak or Jack Baker?

19 hours ago, DrakeHellsing said:

Having Kraven would be rather awesome, but I doubt he would get announced, most of the time it seems to be more popular characters you know, like Ryu or Ken, Wolverine, Spider-Man and others like that.

But hey, would still be awesome, hell, I'd love for the Ustanak from RE6 to be playable.  I mean in number 3, we did get Nemesis in the end, so for this one, why not either Ustanak or Jack Baker?

There are some characters I never even expected to make the roster for UMvC3 like Task Master and Dormammu, so I'm hopeful we at least get some lesser known characters like Moon Knight and Blade. Jack Baker would be pretty cool too. 

• Like 1

There are some characters I never even expected to make the roster for UMvC3 like Task Master and Dormammu, so I'm hopeful we at least get some lesser known characters like Moon Knight and Blade. Jack Baker would be pretty cool too. 

If Moon Knight gets announced I'll preorder the game immediately.

• Like 1

True, Blade would be pretty badass to have.  And I mentioned Jack Baker for two reasons, one, another Resident Evil related character, and two... because he is pretty damn awesome.  I mean, I;ve not played RE7 myself, but seen most of it, so I know how Jack is like, and for an old man, he's pretty healthy and fit.

I wonder if M. Bison will be in this one, or Juri... or better yet... Dan Hibiki.

1 minute ago, DrakeHellsing said:

True, Blade would be pretty badass to have.  And I mentioned Jack Baker for two reasons, one, another Resident Evil related character, and two... because he is pretty damn awesome.  I mean, I;ve not played RE7 myself, but seen most of it, so I know how Jack is like, and for an old man, he's pretty healthy and fit.

I wonder if M. Bison will be in this one, or Juri... or better yet... Dan Hibiki.

I would prefer Jack to most other RE characters like Wesker because there does seem to be potential with the character. I really hope Bison makes the roster, but it would be even cooler if we get someone that hasn't made the SFV roster like Sagat.

1 minute ago, ObliviousSenpai said:

I would prefer Jack to most other RE characters like Wesker because there does seem to be potential with the character. I really hope Bison makes the roster, but it would be even cooler if we get someone that hasn't made the SFV roster like Sagat.

Yeah, for me, I would like Juri myself, as I used her in the Tekken crossover, and I do like how she is used.  But I wont mind other SF characters as well to make the roster.  And as for Jack, I do agree there, I mean I enjoyed Wesker in UMvC3 myself... and would like for him to return, but if they can capitalize a bit on RE7, then bringing in Jack Baker would be a good move as well.

So, it seems initial thoughts were pretty much correct - the game does run on a Marvel 2 style control scheme ( LP, HP, LK, HK ). That's cool - and certainly better than Marvel 3's setup.

However, some of the other stuff I'm hearing about doesn't really fill me with glee. Mainly the auto-combo system and the changes to SRK inputs.

Now, if they have options to turn these features off, then there is absolutely no problem at all, but, if players are forced to deal with these changes, then I don't see many people sticking around to keep playing.

One of the things that makes Marvel, well, Marvel is the magic series - the ability to simply press a series of buttons ( Like LP > LK > MP > MK > HP/HK ) and have a combo happen, part of the fun is learning how to do that and pretty much creating your own combos with it.

The auto-combo kind-of gets rid of that. It allows players to just hit one single button, and get a decent combo. That's not to say you can't experiment - just that there's no incentive to.

Now, in games like King of Fighters 14 and Persona 4: Arena, this feature has a caveat - it heavily scales the damage that these combos do in comparison to doing the same combo manually. And that's the main issue with Infinite's system - it doesn't penalize the player at all for doing it. No scaled damage, no scaled meter gain, nothing that would warrant the player learning how to do the combo manually instead.

Like I said, no incentive.

Granted, the auto-combo isn't amazing or anything - it's just a few hits that launches and then knocks the opponent back down.

It's just one of those things that doesn't really need to be there. It's not really going to bring in any new players, and it's the kind of thing that "levels the playing field" in a boring manner. Much like Street Fighter X TEKKEN and its 30/60/90 balancing.

The other issue I have is with the SRK changes - why make it a Down > Down motion? SRKs aren't that hard to pull off with a little practice ( It's just a standard Hadouken, but with an added forward input at the start. )

Making it a Down > Down kind of eliminates one of the built-in safeguards against an SRK, auto-correction. If someone mistimes their uppercut in a normal Street Fighter, the SRK will come out in the direction they were facing when they did the move, regardless of the side the opponent is on - so if they jumped over you and you did an SRK that whiffed, you were left wide open.

Down > Down gets rid of that. That motion allows for an SRK to auto-correct way too easily which pretty much eliminates a cross-up game. That's not fun to play or watch.

I'm all for accessibility and quality of life changes to make things easier to do overall, but not at the cost of the core gameplay. IE: I love how simple Street Fighter V is as far as how most characters now have simple inputs, with the exception of a few characters like Guile, Bison and Balrog. It's also much easier to do links and get decent looking combos in comparison to the execution nightmare that was Street Fighter 4.

But every character in SFV plays uniquely in comparison to the rest of the cast - even those with similar toolsets.

None of the accessibility stuff in V makes the game boring or stagnant.

Marvel 2 did a great job making things more accessible - changing super inputs from complicated double motions, to single motions and 2 buttons ( It's much, much easier to hit QCF + P+P on an arcade stick than it is to hit QCF, QCF + P - 4 total inputs versus 7. It's also harder to screw up and do a super unintentionally. ) MvC2 is a great example of how you can make things simpler without making them braindead.

And I'm really hoping these system changes are either not final - like the SRK thing, or completely optional, with the ability to filter online matches for players who do or don't use them.

Edited by RHG-SniperFox
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Jedah looks really cool and the gameplay looks alright, but this game just looks so underwhelming. I feel like this game will be like SFV where it'll start out very barebones, but will grow to be a lot better with new characters and future updates. Tournaments might also build up some more hype for it. Going to hold off on this at least until there's a big sale with the DLC characters.

Edit: Might end up picking this up actually because there's nobody online on UMvC3.

Edited by ObliviousSenpai
  • Like 1