Challenge mode thread

VirtualNight

Use this thread to ask tips about the challenge mode.

I need help for Akuma hard trial 5, is the last one that I need for the platinum.

Is something that I've never understood: Akuma has 2 types of HK, where in one he moves his foots forward, & another where he moves one in air. I need the first one to complete the trial, but I always end in doing the other one whenever I do the first attack (j.HK), why?

By watching Vesper I don't see him inputting something to the stick but just pressing hk, I do the same but I always end in doing the wrong attack.

4 minutes ago, grimydawg said:

You're jumping in too close.  That's why you get the axe kick roundhouse......

Correct, I understood, everything depends from the distance, if I'm too close after the jump I do the wrong kick.

Thanks, I passed the trial.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
16 minutes ago, DEATHWISH1988REF said:

are there any video guides on YT for these trail challenges please ... 

ugh i suck with charge characters .  

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB280AA39413FB7B5

Good news is they arent as hard as Super, bad news is you gotta do em in order

Edited by Roronora_Zoro666
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Roronora_Zoro666 said:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB280AA39413FB7B5

Good news is they arent as hard as Super, bad news is you gotta do em in order

Actually, the timing is a little more strict on some of them, making the timing on them slightly harder.  @DEATHWISH1988REF who are you having trouble with?  I can break any of them for you and try to help you that way, if you want.

6 hours ago, grimydawg said:

Actually, the timing is a little more strict on some of them, making the timing on them slightly harder.  @DEATHWISH1988REF who are you having trouble with?  I can break any of them for you and try to help you that way, if you want.

The ones ive struggled with are either the exact ones im struggling with on Super or just a variation of one similar to it. As for the rest, the most annoying part is not being to skip around. Then again, that is just my 2 cents

On 8/26/2018 at 10:04 AM, grimydawg said:

thank you all 

well im going to try with theses vids and see for myself and make sure before i ask  you 

plus i have a stick i recently bought too 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

so far im doing good on normal trails 

doing shotos on DS3 but for the love of god i cant with the charge characters as if im putting too much stress on the controller 

so i did my normal Vega Claw  trails  with the quanba drone stick and after 2 hours i got it 

think ill keep using the stick cuz i can use turbo which can benefit me with charge characters 

damn C.Viper is quite tight on timing   , had a problem with a stupid early dhalsim trial  , sakura n sagat are fun 

....?? is it me or does C.Viper plays like a KOF character as im a terry - king - yuri myself  

Edited by DEATHWISH1988REF

15 hours ago, DEATHWISH1988REF said:

so far im doing good on normal trails 

doing shotos on DS3 but for the love of god i cant with the charge characters as if im putting too much stress on the controller 

so i did my normal Vega Claw  trails  with the quanba drone stick and after 2 hours i got it 

think ill keep using the stick cuz i can use turbo which can benefit me with charge characters 

damn C.Viper is quite tight on timing   , had a problem with a stupid early dhalsim trial  , sakura n sagat are fun 

....?? is it me or does C.Viper plays like a KOF character as im a terry - king - yuri myself  

I had only a few hiccups with certain characters, none of which you mentioned and i completed it on a DS3. If you got any in particular that you are struggling with that you havent gotten yet, lmk. I will try to break it down as best i can.

6 hours ago, Roronora_Zoro666 said:

I had only a few hiccups with certain characters, none of which you mentioned and i completed it on a DS3. If you got any in particular that you are struggling with that you havent gotten yet, lmk. I will try to break it down as best i can.

hi and thanks for always being a positive supporting helper 

ok im almost done with normal trails but im stuck on guile's final trail 4  combo 

https://youtu.be/1vfqD52H7F8?t=2m47s

J hard kick

C Mid punch 

flash kick

Super double flash kick  

i'm having a problem managing timing and motion for flash kick to his super flash , i can't pull it off  and should i keep using hard kick button for all kick moves for this 

while i'm at it and i know ill struggle with hard trails 4 n 5 as well for guile , how are those manageable 

Edited by DEATHWISH1988REF

31 minutes ago, DEATHWISH1988REF said:

hi and thanks for always being a positive supporting helper 

ok im almost done with normal trails but im stuck on guile's final trail 4  combo 

https://youtu.be/1vfqD52H7F8?t=2m47s

J hard kick

C Mid punch 

flash kick

Super double flash kick  

i'm having a problem managing timing and motion for flash kick to his super flash , i can't pull it off  and should i keep using hard kick button for all kick moves for this 

while i'm at it and i know ill struggle with hard trails 4 n 5 as well for guile , how are those manageable 

This also applies to SF4.  The only thing is that you want to do DB UF+K for the super in SF4.  That's the only difference.

7 hours ago, DEATHWISH1988REF said:

thank you ill get to it when i get home from work 

i wanna ask what is DB UF + K ??? , i get the kick only 

There are 3 ways of doing the super,

first is the normal input downback -> downforward then upforward. 

second is after is after performing a flash kick is to add downback then upforward quickly

third way is after the flash kick is to just input downback immediately after using flash kick and it will happen but for all those ways u need to do it super quick. 

• Like 1

For cancels into super i just use the shortcut which is holding down back and then looping the analog back til it reaches up back. For any V supers like Vega and Guile, this cancel makes the job easier. If you know number notation, it is holding 1, then 32147 any kick.  

Sonic Boom to Super- HOLD DB then press forward (any punch) then immediately turn the analog til it goes to up back and jt should cancel in time

Flash Kick to Super- HOLD DB then press up forward (any kick) then swing analog counterclockwise to up back and it should cancel in time. 

Flash Kick to Super to Ultra- Im not sure if any other kick works aside from heavy, but land the super then on the peak of the 2nd hit of super, charge DB again and time it to land ultra in time. The timing is pretty dumb for this and there have been times where you can land the super and it can still whiff on ultra. Sometimes the corner will work against you and make you switch directions mid-charge, 

Learning the cancels are really useful for Guile as you can start a combo with an overhead or a light sonic boom and you can finish it off with any one of these. There is also the df kick to flash kick, which is pretty fun. 

you guys are awesome 

i completed all normal time trials yesterday , man ?! i spent an hour an a half on guile after i finished both honda and blanka which i had trouble canceling their charge to supers but i got them based on your methods you described

went to sleep and left the game running cuz i didn't want to start over again and when i woke and continued i got it in 11 minutes trying . 

so now im done with normal trails ? , but now as im doing ryu hard 3  n zangief hard 1 i can't do the EX focus attack cancel to special - super n ultra correctly  

13 hours ago, DEATHWISH1988REF said:

you guys are awesome 

i completed all normal time trials yesterday , man ?! i spent an hour an a half on guile after i finished both honda and blanka which i had trouble canceling their charge to supers but i got them based on your methods you described

went to sleep and left the game running cuz i didn't want to start over again and when i woke and continued i got it in 11 minutes trying . 

so now im done with normal trails 1f604.png , but now as im doing ryu hard 3  n zangief hard 1 i can't do the EX focus attack cancel to special - super n ultra correctly  

For special to super like blanka and honda hold back or db (preferred way) then press forward kick or punch then rapidly press back then forward and execute super. It is just a timing window so if you can get it, you should be ok. Honda has some of the easiest hard trails so you should be fine. 

if you mean z motion then tap df twice, its a nice shortcut.

Just reattempted Zangief hard trial 1-Focus Attack>Quick Double Lariat>FADC>EX Banishing Flat

Land any variation of Focus, then tap R2 or (LK+MK+HK), then input Focus (MP+MK) or put it to a single button, in my case O and then dash forward. Finally input Z motion as the opponent comes down with L1 (any two punches)

Cant help with ryu lol, i havent even gotten past 2. Just got hard trial 2 lol

If you havent gotten 2 just practice solar plexus to cr hp then z motion or dfx2 and ultra. The 50/50 of solar plexus to cr.hp is irritating and it'swhat held me back for so long. Just split em up to where you dont miss the other half and just link to memory. Btw solar plexus to cr.hp is ryu bnb. He can get so much off that.

Just got trial 3, if you got 2 the only thing you gotta do is adjust the space as too close and you whiff or end up changing direction. Dash back outta the focus attack and you should be able to land a metsu hadoken in time. In this case, z motion works better unless you can dfx2 and cancel it immediately

Trial 4 was by far the easiest, just cancel ex hadoken to ultra. Do QCF ex punch then QCF triple punch to connect it. 

Trial 5 is 50/50 like trial 2. The link of cr mp to cr hp is so annoying to land that by that time you already missed the window on follow up. After ex tatsu just ex shoryu on last hit-and cancel with fadc and do ultra. Back works best but forward works, too. Ive gotten all the way to fadc then missed ultra and now my hand is tensed up after trying for long lol.

Strained myself, it seems.  --_(*3'*)_--

Hope this helped. :)

Edited by Roronora_Zoro666

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Cats said:

im so sick of damn C.Viper Hard Trial 2 already and i know i wont able to do 3# either

You have to use negative edge for that trial to work effectively.  That's the key.  You want to negative edge her fierce version of her Thunder Knuckle feint THEN do the ultra.

For trial 3 your input should be:

Jump roundhouse

stand short

crouch jab

2369+jab

236+PPP