Super Mario Odyssey (Switch) revealed

Oobedoob S Benubi

29 minutes ago, Z1MZUM said:

Sunshine really grew on me even though I didn't like it that much when it was first released. Now when Galaxy came out I went right back to Sunshine (Played on the Wii) and put allot more time into it, it was a blast this time around. Mario is no system seller for me though if and when I buy a switch, this game will be one of the first I play.

Well, if Sunshine ever gets released on the Virtual Console for the Switch (and for cheap), I'll give it another go but until then it remains one of the only low points in the main series for me (the only one unless we count the " New Bros"  series and "Maker" as part of the main series, which I don't).

Odyssey is definitely the system seller for me, but combined with knowing there's a Zelda as well and counting on the Kart/Smash/Party combo.

7 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

The city looks like Sunset Overdrive with Mario and a touch of Sonic adventure, bouncing cars and umbrellas included. With that said, I'm way more of a 64 and sunshine fan than Galaxy, Not a system seller for me but I am curious.

Sunset Overdrive is the reason I bought a Xbox One, and I regret nothing even though I barely touch that console now. I hope Odyssey is like SO (without guns of course), because that game was awesome. 

Also, I played a bit of Super Mario 64 on my Wii U this past weekend and I think I figured out why I didn't like it that much (along with Sunshine). I'm not a fan of how the game is structured to gate off later areas until you've collected a certain number of stars. I'm usually a completionist so that doesn't bother me in and of itself, but due to many of the star challenges being repetitive and annoying, I felt like I was being forced to play levels a bunch of times. I don't know about other people, but most of the "red coin" challenges were impossible for me without a walkthrough. I also don't like how you can't combine challenges, for example getting 2 or 3 stars at once (e.g. 100 coins, 8 red coins, and one of the "story-type" challenges all in one go). The design just felt like an artificial way to have a handful of actual levels with lots of different challenges each. I prefer the way later games did extra content (e.g. the New Bros series), for example with 3 gold medals being the only challenge for each stage. That felt challenging without being overly frustrating, because you could typically finish all the stages in the game without getting all 3 gold medals on every stage. In any case, you didn't have to replay each stage 8 times. 

The other thing that bugged me was the camera and controls. I was never a fan of the N64 gamepad when I tried it, but on the DS and Wii U gamepad, SM64 is frustrating to control sometimes. It doesn't always feel precise to me, and timing jumps on Goombas can be difficult. I much prefer the more straightforward directness of the 2D Mario games. When I mistime a jump in the New Bros series, for example, I know it's because I messed up, not because the controls are tricky. Maybe SM64 and Sunshine are more accurate on their original gamepads. 

That being said, I need to temper my criticism. I respect what SM64 did for the series and gaming in general. I also think the levels are interesting, imaginative, and fun to watch. It frustrates me that I don't like the game more, because it's a game where I can recognize greatness and I really want to love it. Hate is too strong of a word, and I don't think I could ever actually dislike something Miyamoto was involved with. But I definitely don't love it as much as I wish I did. I only finished SM64 to have a sense of completion, and Sunshine was mostly more of the same so I gave up partway through. It makes me kind of sad I don't love these games, but I don't. 

I have no strong opinions on SM64 versus Sunshine. From what I have played of both, Sunshine seems like a worthy successor to SM64. I can understand criticism of the voice acting and "story", but the gameplay seems to take everything from SM64 and either maintain it or improve it. That being said, the level challenges where you chase the "bad Mario" are even more frustrating than any of the challenges in SM64. I haven't played the Galaxy series yet (I have both of them and I may have played the first level of the first one, years ago). I had always intended to play the other games first but I guess I've waited long enough! Who knows, maybe Odyssey will encourage me to go back and replay SM64 and Sunshine. 

Anyway, my whole takeaway from this is that I love the concept of a 3D Mario but SM64 and Sunshine don't completely click for me. I have high hopes for Odyssey taking the best things from those two games and giving it more precise controls. I am very excited for it, and I would go so far as to call it a system seller for me. Although it probably helps that I love the concept of the Switch anyway. I have a long commute to and from work, and I love portable gaming (on real systems like Vita and 3DS, not smartphone games), so the Switch is very appealing to me. 

Edited by MosesRockefeller
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Well, if Sunshine ever gets released on the Virtual Console for the Switch (and for cheap), I'll give it another go but until then it remains one of the only low points in the main series for me (the only one unless we count the " New Bros"  series and "Maker" as part of the main series, which I don't).

Odyssey is definitely the system seller for me, but combined with knowing there's a Zelda as well and counting on the Kart/Smash/Party combo.

Yeah I'd play it again, and I will get the switch since I seem to buy every console regardless of my trophy comment. However it won't be an early buy, I'm really into the n64 and sfc right now B)

5 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

Yeah I'd play it again, and I will get the switch since I seem to buy every console regardless of my trophy comment. However it won't be an early buy, I'm really into the n64 and sfc right now B)

... You still have a working N64? Wow...

What's "sfc"? Unless it's Star Fox Command, I wouldn't know what it stands for.

Also, I restarted on Galaxy 2 yesterday. I had fun but I don't know if I am going to completely play through it any more. Seeing as the Switch controllers still have movement functionality, there's a good chance that Galaxy 1 and 2 will end up on the Switch as well. Or is that wishful thinking?

Edited by BillyHorrible

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

... You still have a working N64? Wow...

What's "sfc"? Unless it's Star Fox Command, I wouldn't know what it stands for.

Also, I restarted on Galaxy 2 yesterday. I had fun but I don't know if I am going to completely play through it any more. Seeing as the Switch controllers still have movement functionality, there's a good chance that Galaxy 1 and 2 will end up on the Switch as well. Or is that wishful thinking?

I'm playing Body harvest (Completed) in the Golden Oldies Event remember? The SFC is the Super Famicom I just bought back from Japan, so essentially it's the SNES. I'm so damn lazy I shouldn't use abbreviations so much.

My Body harvest completion and review will be up soon, I have been away again so very slow in the event.

Back to topic, I never finished Galaxy 2 and if the truth is to be known I freaking hated the wiimote and nunchuck arrangement. I found both Galaxies to be claustrophobic after playing M64, than again M64 was a game changer to me when it was new.

46 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Donk City from the trailer is the city from the original Donkey Kong arcade ;). I didn't really care for the galaxy games with how linear the levels were, and I didn't like sunshine much either due to the lack of powerups. This looks like it could be good though

As said, I played some Galaxy 2 yesterday, and it was even more linear than I remembered. I never bought a WiiU so I never played 3D World but I did have 3D Land on the 3DS and I can see a lot of stuff now looking back at Galaxy that made 3D Land/World the logical next step. I'm glad they're doing open levels for Odyssey though.

12 minutes ago, Z1MZUM said:

I'm playing Body harvest (Completed) in the Golden Oldies Event remember? The SFC is the Super Famicom I just bought back from Japan, so essentially it's the SNES. I'm so damn lazy I shouldn't use abbreviations so much.

My Body harvest completion and review will be up soon, I have been away again so very slow in the event.

Back to topic, I never finished Galaxy 2 and if the truth is to be known I freaking hated the wiimote and nunchuck arrangement. I found both Galaxies to be claustrophobic after playing M64, than again M64 was a game changer to me when it was new.

Ah, right :) are you coming to the new Golden Oldies event with that? I'm going to allow Virtual Console games played on the Switch :D

Like I said above in my post, yeah Galaxy was very linear, even more so than I remembered. I was ever a big fan of the wii controls but they worked pretty well much of the time, never had a problem with Galaxy when I played the first time around.

I do so hope that Super Mario 64 will be available on Switch before Odyssey though...

4 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Like I said above in my post, yeah Galaxy was very linear, even more so than I remembered. I was ever a big fan of the wii controls but they worked pretty well much of the time, never had a problem with Galaxy when I played the first time around.

I do so hope that Super Mario 64 will be available on Switch before Odyssey though...

Last night I gave Galaxy a try in order to catch up on the series before Odyssey. I enjoyed it but struggled with the controls a bit. The main problem I have is with the stupid pointing mechanic (which is a Wii issue, not a game issue). I haven't played Wii games in a while so I had forgotten about pointing and how finicky the sensor bar is. I have mine on top of my sound bar (below my TV) but I guess it's too far back... maybe I need to actually use the little stand it came with instead of having it taped to the sound bar. I have to either stand up to get it to recognize pointing, or else hold the Wii Remote way above my head like an idiot. :)

Now if I can just get my hands on a Switch... I missed out on the initial preorders so I wonder when the next wave of stock will come out. 

Edited by MosesRockefeller

3 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Last night I gave Galaxy a try in order to catch up on the series before Odyssey. I enjoyed it but struggled with the controls a bit. The main problem I have is with the stupid pointing mechanic (which is a Wii issue, not a game issue). I haven't played Wii games in a while so I had forgotten about pointing and how finicky the sensor bar is. I have mine on top of my sound bar (below my TV) but I guess it's too far back... maybe I need to actually use the little stand it came with instead of having it taped to the sound bar. I have to either stand up to get it to recognize pointing, or else hold the Wii Remote way above my head like an idiot. :)

Now if I can just get my hands on a Switch... I missed out on the initial preorders so I wonder when the next wave of stock will come out. 

Just asking but did you configure the sensor bar location in the system settings? I remember that I once had similar problems and it turned out that I misconfigured the sensor bar so the settings thought it was below the TV although I put it above it.

As said, I played some Galaxy 2 yesterday, and it was even more linear than I remembered. I never bought a WiiU so I never played 3D World but I did have 3D Land on the 3DS and I can see a lot of stuff now looking back at Galaxy that made 3D Land/World the logical next step. I'm glad they're doing open levels for Odyssey though.

Galaxy might be linear but it has one advantage compared to 3D Land/World:
With the exception of a few challenges it has no time limit.

4 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

Just asking but did you configure the sensor bar location in the system settings? I remember that I once had similar problems and it turned out that I misconfigured the sensor bar so the settings thought it was below the TV although I put it above it.

Thanks for the suggestion. I do remember setting it up below the TV and when I can get pointing to work, it's when I raise it up to point directly at the bar. The problem is the angle, from my couch pointing up at the sensor bar, the sound bar is partially in the way. I probably just need to raise it up and move it forward a bit. I'd tape it to the bottom of the TV but the TV has an articulating wall mount and I don't think the sensor bar cord is long enough to go back behind the TV, along the mount arm, down the wall, and into my credenza. It might be though, I'll give that a try first. 

I haven't played an actual Wii game on my Wii U in a long time, and when you just play Wii U games you typically don't have to bother with the sensor bar. 

No time limit in Galaxy is good for me, because running around a small planet is giving me a headache. Hopefully I'll get used to it eventually. I love the concept and the novel idea, but I'm not sure if I'll ever wrap my brain around the rapidly changing perspective. 

I should have asked in an earlier post, but what didn't you like about the New Bros series? I only finished the DS, Wii, and 3DS editions of the series, but I play through a few levels of the Wii U edition every now and then. In my case I got a bit of franchise fatigue from playing them too closely together, but I always thought they were very solid games. 

17 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I do remember setting it up below the TV and when I can get pointing to work, it's when I raise it up to point directly at the bar. The problem is the angle, from my couch pointing up at the sensor bar, the sound bar is partially in the way. I probably just need to raise it up and move it forward a bit. I'd tape it to the bottom of the TV but the TV has an articulating wall mount and I don't think the sensor bar cord is long enough to go back behind the TV, along the mount arm, down the wall, and into my credenza. It might be though, I'll give that a try first. 

I haven't played an actual Wii game on my Wii U in a long time, and when you just play Wii U games you typically don't have to bother with the sensor bar. 

That sounds like a complex setup. But like I said you can configure the sensorbar location in the Wii U system settings. The settings of the Wii-emulation only supports channels and savedata.

19 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

No time limit in Galaxy is good for me, because running around a small planet is giving me a headache. Hopefully I'll get used to it eventually. I love the concept and the novel idea, but I'm not sure if I'll ever wrap my brain around the rapidly changing perspective. 

I for myself also had problems with the spatial orientation in the game but there are also some larger, non-globular planets which don't cause such problems.

27 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

That sounds like a complex setup. But like I said you can configure the sensorbar location in the Wii U system settings. The settings of the Wii-emulation only supports channels and savedata.

I for myself also had problems with the spatial orientation in the game but there are also some larger, non-globular planets which don't cause such problems.

I may not have been clear, but I did set the sensor bar location below my TV in the system settings. The problem is actually that it's partially blocked since it needs line-of-sight. 

Good to know about larger planets in Galaxy. 

2 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Didn't have the problem back when I had a tiny student room but in my current living room the sensor was too far away... Ended up putting it on the living room table. And yes the pointing is a lot harder this time around.

2 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

Plus, it looks more appealing what with the bigger difference in settings. 3D World and 3D Land just seem like they added a dimension to the old (S)NES titles.

15 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Ah, right :) are you coming to the new Golden Oldies event with that? I'm going to allow Virtual Console games played on the Switch :D

Yeah man, I would move over to the new event in a second.

4 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

Yeah man, I would move over to the new event in a second.

"Would" sounds like there's something preventing you from doing so ;)

You can always start with listing Body Harvest there and figuring out your other games later...

Come to think of it, we might start a Switch event, just 'cause :D (or just Nintendo in general)

Edited by BillyHorrible
Typo

35 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

"Would" sounds like there's something preventing you from doing so ;)

You can always start with listing Body Harvest there and figuring out your other games later...

Come to think of it, we might start a Switch event, just 'cause :D (or just Nintendo in general)

I didn't know it started, I've been away so many times now it's hard to keep up, I am on it.

I know I've already commented on Odyssey, I gotta say the video reminded me immediately of Sonic Adventure and that was a good era of gaming. The golden Oldies has reminded me that gaming with no trophies is fine, I'm only concerned about the amount of sales after the Wii U.

8 minutes ago, Z1MZUM said:

I didn't know it started, I've been away so many times now it's hard to keep up, I am on it.

I know I've already commented on Odyssey, I gotta say the video reminded me immediately of Sonic Adventure and that was a good era of gaming. The golden Oldies has reminded me that gaming with no trophies is fine, I'm only concerned about the amount of sales after the Wii U.

Yeah it's on during all of 2017 with an average of one game per month, so it should be easier to keep up with than the last event.

https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/43363-super-golden-oldies-dust-off-your-ancient-consoles-event-2017-edition/

I never fully played Sonic Adventure but with Odyssey, I was glad that the New Donk City turned out to be just a world and not all that the game tried to be.

Don't buy stuff for the WiiU now... at the least buy only stuf which you know won't be coming to the Switch, so don't buy Mario Kart 8 or anything from the Virtual Console. Do you already have a WiiU or are you more afraid about a sale on the WiiU itself?

I meant to say that I bought Wii U on day 1 and barely touched it due to lack of game releases, I feel a bit burnt with this and am hoping for better with the Switch. But I listen to myself and sound a bit precious with my complaints. I'm only kidding myself and will have a switch!

13 minutes ago, Z1MZUM said:

I meant to say that I bought Wii U on day 1 and barely touched it due to lack of game releases, I feel a bit burnt with this and am hoping for better with the Switch. But I listen to myself and sound a bit precious with my complaints. I'm only kidding myself and will have a switch!

If you never have played Zelda: Wind Waker, I can recommend that one, which has been re-released for the WiiU. Also, 3D World seems cool, as wel as Yoshi's Woolly World, Kirby's Epic Yarn (a Wii title availably digitally on WiiU), Fast Racing Neo (for lack of F-Zero, a sequel to this is in development for the Switch), Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, and also apparently Zelda: Twillight Princess was remastered for WiiU. Note that I myself have not played any of these titles except for Twillight Princess (on the GC).

I have never bought a console or handheld day one, the Switch might just be a first. Depends on if I pre-ordered soon enough to still have one from the first wave, and if I want to go through with my pre-order. I pre-ordered Zelda and Odyssey as well. I'm in doubts about whether to show support day one or to wait for a tiny bit, March is busy with releases for me - Horizon Zero Dawn, Yooka-Laylee and probable South Park Fractured Butthole (if it does not get pushed back a bit, very probably with all these other high-profile releases).

I have never bought a console or handheld day one, the Switch might just be a first.

I also wouldn't, because Sony and Microsoft consoles just get better with time... BUT, Nintendo is dancing on it's own party, or however you want to say that in English.

Why?

Take the Wii as example...

This cutie can not just run GameCube games, it also was hardwarewise 100% compatible. It even accepted GameCube controllers and memory cards!

$_32.JPG

This bitch here does not... 

wii-black.jpg

And this monstrous thing here doesn't even have ANY option to get an internet connection! Yuo wot m8?! Oo

51633.wii-mini-mario-kart.jpg

Handhelds are an other cup of tea though. As far I have seen, the PSP got with every generation more awful, and I'm really REALLY happy with my first gen Vita...

Nintendo on the other hand...

Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket and Gameboy Light (?) are basicly the same thing. Just lighter and less energy consuming.

Gameboy Advance SP is superior towards the Gameboy Advance, no doubt.

The DSi also was superior towards the DS, also no doubt.

The New3DS feels much more fluent/smooth than the 3DS, and also has SNES emulation.

However, their cheap mid steps (Gameboy Advance Micro, DS Light and 2DS) are useless piece of junk... (Gameboy Advance Micro is NOT 100% compatibel with the Gameboy Advance library, not even with Nintendo games! 2DS feels as an adult really uncomfortable, and has low fps in Pokemon and Smash Bros eg. While Pokemon might be acceptable, it is really ruining the Smash Bros experience.)

And sometimes, Nintendo even was pretty kind...

Remember, some Gameboy Color games were on a black cartridge? They where backwardscompatible to the older Gameboys. Amazing!

And then, Nintendo played the son of a bitch, and wasn't releasing Pokemon TCG 2 in West... *cries in 'Still can't read Japanese because depressions, lack of life will and need to learn Spanish for school'*

...But at least we got Pokemon TCG 1 for Virtual Console. (^o^°) Best Pokemon Spinoff of all time!

What else could I say... Ah, yes... I wish, I had a first gen Wii... :( 

Now, I only can hope...

74848752.jpg

Edited by Neputyunu

2 hours ago, Neputyunu said:

I also wouldn't, because Sony and Microsoft consoles just get better with time... BUT, Nintendo is dancing on it's own party, or however you want to say that in English.

Why?

Take the Wii as example...

This cutie can not just run GameCube games, it also was hardwarewise 100% compatible. It even accepted GameCube controllers and memory cards!

$_32.JPG

This bitch here does not... 

wii-black.jpg

[...]

Not trying to undermine your whole point but in regards to the Wii: up until yesterday I had a Wii, a black one that came with Motion Plus and with both Sports games (though the box looked a bit different), and it most definitely was able to play GameCube games and it had slots for GC memory cards and GC controllers. I used it quite a bit to play GC games since I haven't had a GC for over eight or nine years now (when I first switched to Wii).

As for your point as a whole: Yeah, I'm relatively certain that the Switch coming out in March will be the main Switch to get. It's probable (though not likely) that some day there will be a Switch with a screen that's a bit bigger, or perhaps there will be a bit more of storage room (I already told the game store I'm getting my Switch at that they have to keep one of those 2TB Switch memory cards for me) but nothing as drastic as the PS4Pro or the Scorpio (or whatever the X1.5 turned out to be called in the end). Nintendo just does not work that way.

Edited by BillyHorrible
spoilering the rest of the post did not work correctly so I just deleted it

7 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Not trying to undermine your whole point but in regards to the Wii: up until yesterday I had a Wii, a black one that came with Motion Plus and with both Sports games (though the box looked a bit different), and it most definitely was able to play GameCube games and it had slots for GC memory cards and GC controllers. I used it quite a bit to play GC games since I haven't had a GC for over eight or nine years now (when I first switched to Wii).

There's a specific type of Wii that is placed horizontally  that doesn't support the GameCube-features anymore. IIRC that were mostly the Wiis that were produced after 2010 or 2011 and they came in various bundles. I had one of those. It was a aquamarine-like color and came bundled with Mario & Sonic 2012. But there was also a bundle with Mario Kart Wii.

9 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

As for your point as a whole: Yeah, I'm relatively certain that the Switch coming out in March will be the main Switch to get. It's probable (though not likely) that some day there will be a Switch with a screen that's a bit bigger, or perhaps there will be a bit more of storage room (I already told the game store I'm getting my Switch at that they have to keep one of those 2TB Switch memory cards for me) but nothing as drastic as the PS4Pro or the Scorpio (or whatever the X1.5 turned out to be called in the end). Nintendo just does not work that way.

I had to laugh at this. Nintendo were actually the first who (re-?)introduced those half-assed upgrades like the PS4 Pro or Xbox One Scorpio with their New 3DS, which has a much better CPU and larger RAM and on top of that has a few exclusive games that aren't compatible with the old 3DS or the 2DS.

19 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

There's a specific type of Wii that is placed horizontally  that doesn't support the GameCube-features anymore. IIRC that were mostly the Wiis that were produced after 2010 or 2011 and they came in various bundles. I had one of those. It was a aquamarine-like color and came bundled with Mario & Sonic 2012. But there was also a bundle with Mario Kart Wii.

I had to laugh at this. Nintendo were actually the first who (re-?)introduced those half-assed upgrades like the PS4 Pro or Xbox One Scorpio with their New 3DS, which has a much better CPU and larger RAM and on top of that has a few exclusive games that aren't compatible with the old 3DS or the 2DS.

Must be difficult to differentiate between the types of Wii you're able to get then, it seems like exactly the same one...

Also as Neputyunu already stated, yeah Nintendo upgrades its handhelds pretty drastically, and not just with the New 3DS (which i did not know about by the way). I'm seeing the Switch as more of a console in that regard, and Nintendo is pretty tame in console improvements. Usually.