The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (Switch/WiiU) general discussion

Oobedoob S Benubi

I was told by the Zoras to go to a mountain just east of them... So naturally now I'm going west to take the scenic route around the Zora domain :)

I love how much there's done for the old fans... Like the Zora Domain music, or their king being huge, or the chicken on the roof in Kokoriko (I just KNEW there had to be one up on the roofs somewhere)...

I guess I've played for an hour or two now, having finished the second Shrine last night. I'm taking my time with the game (also I tend to take longer with games in general, it seems like I usually take much longer than Platinum/100% time estimates give here and on other trophy sites), but it's shaping up to be really great. I like how the game introduces new gameplay elements in a natural way without silly "DLC unlocks" or reminding you constantly that you're playing a game (okay, the Shiekah Slate is clearly analogous to the Switch Tablet, but it's handled in a way that works in the game world). I've only unlocked the first 3 runes but I love how they are integrated into the shrine puzzles. I can see that the game is just brilliantly designed. 

I love open world games, and I like everything this game does in that regard. There may be some issues that crop up later on, but so far I don't see anything to dislike. 

I intend to play this without a walkthrough. I'm enjoying the exploration quite a bit and I don't want to lose that. That said, I won't be upset if I see small tips in this thread, but I won't be opening those spoiler tags anytime soon. :)

Zelda hasn't had a great impact on me so far, mostly due to me not owning any Nintendo consoles (or any brand of console for that matter) in between the NES and Wii, and I didn't take the effort to play the two Wii Zeldas but put them on my massive backlog. I have gotten to the final dungeon in the original Zelda, played Link to the Past for probably 5 or 6 hours, and played Ocarina of Time (3DS version) for about 2 hours. I haven't touched any of the others but always intended to at some point. but Breath of the Wild has drawn me in and I don't think I'll have any problems sticking with it until at least the end of the story, and maybe even some additional exploration after that. 

Edited by MosesRockefeller

So, I managed to get a chance to play this with a friend (well, not really a friend, but rather a student in one of my classes), and I gotta say that this game (at least for the time I played it) is one of the most well-crafted I've seen in some time. Bumping up the difficulty has done wonders for the series. 

I still won't by a Switch for just this title, but this title is certainly the best thing Nintendo has done in a long while.

Just now, MosesRockefeller said:

Zelda hasn't had a great impact on me so far, mostly due to me not owning any Nintendo consoles (or any brand of console for that matter) in between the NES and Wii

The NES Zeldas are more than enough to have a great impact on anyone!:angry:

11 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

So, I managed to get a chance to play this with a friend (well, not really a friend, but rather a student in one of my classes), and I gotta say that this game (at least for the time I played it) is one of the most well-crafted I've seen in some time. Bumping up the difficulty has done wonders for the series. 

I still won't by a Switch for just this title, but this title is certainly the best thing Nintendo has done in a long while.

Well, get it on Wii U then (and if you don't have a Wii U, it's worth it for this and lots of other great exclusives). Apparently it's very good on Wii U also, and not a crippled, lesser experience.

11 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

The NES Zeldas are more than enough to have a great impact on anyone!:angry:

Probably true for most people, but I failed to mention above that I never played Zelda 1 and 2 when they were new, and by the time I gave them a try more recently, the experience couldn't possibly live up to 2+ decades-long hype by that point. I did enjoy playing Zelda 1, but I got stuck on the final dungeon so never made it to the final boss. I even had Link fully upgraded; I guess I just suck at the game. :) I tried Zelda 2 (so my comment about not touching any others in the series was incorrect) but didn't get very far. 

Also, for nostalgia's sake I recently read up on a very obscure title among the small handful of games I had on my NES back around 1990. I didn't realize it at the time, but it was a cheap rip-off of Zelda 1. I did play that game all the way through. Too bad I didn't have Zelda instead, my enjoyment of the series probably would have been very different, and possibly enough to get me to stick with console gaming in the 90's and early 2000's instead of only playing on PC that whole time. 

I forgot to mention above, but last night I had my first "combat" death in Breath of the Wild at the entrance to the second shrine. I rushed in and paid for my mistake. :P

1 minute ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Also, for nostalgia's sake I recently read up on a very obscure title among the small handful of games I had on my NES back around 1990. I didn't realize it at the time, but it was a cheap rip-off of Zelda 1. I did play that game all the way through. Too bad I didn't have Zelda instead, my enjoyment of the series probably would have been very different, and possibly enough to get me to stick with console gaming in the 90's and early 2000's instead of only playing on PC that whole time. 

What was the game? There were a bunch of them. Crystalis was probably my favorite of that lot. 

I too got my tail handed to me by an enemy for failing to respect the new difficulty. It was sad to see my student disappointed in his teacher. 

9 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

What was the game? There were a bunch of them. Crystalis was probably my favorite of that lot. 

I too got my tail handed to me by an enemy for failing to respect the new difficulty. It was sad to see my student disappointed in his teacher. 

Ha, I was too embarrassed to mention the name, but since you asked... Spiritual Warfare. It was from that batch of silly religious games that were unlicensed on NES. I guess my mom figured it was a "healthy" game for me since the violence was sanitized. The hero goes around "converting" people with the Sword of the Spirit... which is pretty disturbing now that I think about it as an adult. The game might make for a good study subject in a psychology class! I doubt the creators were trying to make a statement though, I think they were just trying to pump out games for a specific market. 

It was actually a fun game for me though, I don't remember running across any glitches and the gameplay was solid. Keep in mind that I was 12 or 13 when I had it, so my standards were very, very low. :)

And I don't intend to get religious or political, but let's just say my views have changed from my upbringing. Even if they hadn't, I don't think I would have inflicted religious games on my own children. :P 

Just now, MosesRockefeller said:

Ha, I was too embarrassed to mention the name, but since you asked... Spiritual Warfare. It was from that batch of silly religious games that were unlicensed on NES. I guess my mom figured it was a "healthy" game for me since the violence was sanitized. The hero goes around "converting" people with the Sword of the Spirit... which is pretty disturbing now that I think about it as an adult. The game might make for a good study subject in a psychology class! I doubt the creators were trying to make a statement though, I think they were just trying to pump out games for a specific market. 

It was actually a fun game though, I don't remember running across any glitches and the gameplay was solid. 

And I don't intend to get religious or political, but let's just say my views have changed from my upbringing. Even if they hadn't, I don't think I would have inflicted religious games on my own children. :P 

HA! I just watched AVGNs Bible Games episodes for the, oh, 100th time yesterday!

But anyway, getting back on topic, I am happy that the reviews seem to match the quality of Zelda. I had feared that it was a case of nostalgia glasses, but honestly, what made Breath of Wind so good for me was it differences from the Zelda franchise, rather than its similarities.

16 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

But anyway, getting back on topic, I am happy that the reviews seem to match the quality of Zelda. I had feared that it was a case of nostalgia glasses, but honestly, what made Breath of Wind so good for me was it differences from the Zelda franchise, rather than its similarities.

Nostalgia glasses are often hurting Zelda more than helping them (at least with the fans), each Zelda after the N64 has always had uproars of either "they changed it, now it sucks" or "it's the same, now it sucks" - occasionally at the same time. With Breath Of The Wild changing up the formula drastically, some still say it sucks because of the changes but most fans have been forgiving. It's a Zelda for the new age, it's new even though it feels familiar. I feel like the game is pretty much how Ocarina Of Time would look and feel like if it had been made today.

In other news, I just finished the first Divine Beast and I love the game even more now. Played through the bossfight a second time because I had forgotten to take a picture (I don't care there's no trophies, I just want to see if I can get the album to 100%, damn it).

On to the next one!

P.S. the comlete Zora set looks very cool

49 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Nostalgia glasses are often hurting Zelda more than helping them (at least with the fans), each Zelda after the N64 has always had uproars of either "they changed it, now it sucks" or "it's the same, now it sucks" - occasionally at the same time. With Breath Of The Wild changing up the formula drastically, some still say it sucks because of the changes but most fans have been forgiving. It's a Zelda for the new age, it's new even though it feels familiar. I feel like the game is pretty much how Ocarina Of Time would look and feel like if it had been made today.

Agreed on that. The Zelda fandom is a little different than most, maybe it comes from being such a long running franchise that has spanned generations of consoles. The only thing that really compares is Final Fantasy. I remember when Wind Waker first came out everyone was bashing it left and right. It seemed it took a bit for fans to get past the graphics and give it a chance. People will eventually settle down over the Breath of the Wild changes.

So who has used any amiibos? I have heard that some can be kind of game breaking early on.

5 minutes ago, hugglebunn-e said:

Agreed on that. The Zelda fandom is a little different than most, maybe it comes from being such a long running franchise that has spanned generations of consoles. The only thing that really compares is Final Fantasy. I remember when Wind Waker first came out everyone was bashing it left and right. It seemed it took a bit for fans to get past the graphics and give it a chance. People will eventually settle down over the Breath of the Wild changes.

So who has used any amiibos? I have heard that some can be kind of game breaking early on.

The changes in BOTW are bigger than just graphics though :) but it's awesome enough as a game that most were already forgiving beforehand. The biggest issue was the game suddenly being voiced but now it's actually out and we all know that voices don't enter the game all that often.

I happened to have bought the Smash Bros Link, which apparently granted me Epona in-game :D

I was afraid of using her at first in case she died but I'm more comfortable with the save system now so I've started using her today.

2 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

The changes in BOTW are bigger than just graphics though :) but it's awesome enough as a game that most were already forgiving beforehand. The biggest issue was the game suddenly being voiced but now it's actually out and we all know that voices don't enter the game all that often.

I happened to have bought the Smash Bros Link, which apparently granted me Epona in-game :D

I was afraid of using her at first in case she died but I'm more comfortable with the save system now so I've started using her today.

Oh yeah def., but people will get past it. I think the changes are for the better. I was one of those worried about the voice acting, but in the end it worked out just fine.

Oh man. I may need to run the Smash Bros Link down then. The only one I was considering was the TP for the wolf companion, just b/c it seemed neat. The only current Amiibo's I have are Shovel Knight and 8bit Link (Clearance purchase at Walmart). I don't even know what they do if anything.

1 hour ago, hugglebunn-e said:

Oh yeah def., but people will get past it. I think the changes are for the better. I was one of those worried about the voice acting, but in the end it worked out just fine.

Oh man. I may need to run the Smash Bros Link down then. The only one I was considering was the TP for the wolf companion, just b/c it seemed neat. The only current Amiibo's I have are Shovel Knight and 8bit Link (Clearance purchase at Walmart). I don't even know what they do if anything.

There are some sites that track what they all do but I decided to start with amiibo just as neat statuettes.

Got Link, Meta Knight and Fox McCloud all for just €5 and Mega Yarn Yoshi for €20 (big sale), and they're shipping in a few used ones from other stores for me - Mario, Donkey Kong, Pikachu and Kirby. Definitely want to get Samus, Captain Falcon,  Bowser, Ocarina Link, Breath Of The Wild Link and Wind Waker Link when I can find them for less than the regular price.

I'll take a picture next time I'm with Epona (on foot now, might take a while) and I'll post it here.

Edited by BillyHorrible

We can finally put custom backgrounds on PS4 so ofc have to put my fav game there :P

C6eTNDLU8AEfbRk.jpg

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

holy shit... 

Reveal hidden contents

IT'S THE LOST WOODS! THE LOST WOODS ARE IN THE GAME!

It's fun, exploring instead of going straight to the Divine Beasts :)

Also, spoiler from a quest that you've possibly missed...

Reveal hidden contents

I do love being a home owner :)

Spoiler

How did you enough rupees to afford the house? I barely have 1k rn but can't really sell much :|

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, blazeaire said:

We can finally put custom backgrounds on PS4 so ofc have to put my fav game there :P

C6eTNDLU8AEfbRk.jpg

Hide contents

How did you enough rupees to afford the house? I barely have 1k rn but can't really sell much :|

Nice background!

I haven't bought much in-game, just kept saving up... At some point I was at 1.8K and decided to sell a bunch of stuff, I just threw a few cooking ingredients together that sold for 50-70 a piece, the buyers are suckers for stuff with a lot of hearts and I had enough apples, normal shrooms, normal fish, herbs...

Without saying too much for people not there yet and without having to put it in spoilers: I am now at the island in northeast Akkala...

Edited by BillyHorrible

8 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Nice background!

I haven't bought much in-game, just kept saving up... At some point I was at 1.8K and decided to sell a bunch of stuff, I just threw a few cooking ingredients together that sold for 50-70 a piece, the buyers are suckers for stuff with a lot of hearts and I had enough apples, normal shrooms, normal fish, herbs...

Without saying too much for people not there yet and without having to put it in spoilers: I am now at the island in northeast Akkala...

Spoiler

Is it the island that challenges you?

48 minutes ago, blazeaire said:

C6eTNDLU8AEfbRk.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

Nice background !

Can you just import wallpapers via usb to your console with the new firmware? Never gone that way. Thought you can only bring screenshots to your background from now on.

37 minutes ago, Yoey_666 said:

Nice background !

Can you just import wallpapers via usb to your console with the new firmware? Never gone that way. Thought you can only bring screenshots to your background from now on.

I assume so, not sure though :hmm: I did it the extra hard way, found the picture I wanted on my tablet and then painstakingly typed manually in the website address on the web browser on PS4, put it in full screen mode and screenshotted that :lol:

2 minutes ago, blazeaire said:

I assume so, not sure though :hmm: I did it the extra hard way, found the picture I wanted on my tablet and then painstakingly typed manually in the website address on the web browser on PS4, put it in full screen mode and screenshotted that :lol:

Haha ok, I will test it when I am home from work. At least I now know the hard way if it is not working :D 

1 hour ago, angelgrievous said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Is it the island that challenges you?

10 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Didn't understand this use of words at first but that's the one I am at right now. The island I spoke of before

Reveal hidden contents

is a giant maze.

This one:

Spoiler

0C9siNlh.jpg