Switch It Up! (event for Nintendo Switch gamers)

2 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Nah I indeed think that this summer is the time to pump in some VC titles while we wait for Odyssey. I've hear that they'll announce news about VC on the Nintendo Direct of mid-June, and rumours are that VC will be online pretty soon afterwards.

I hope so.  I keep putting off shelling out big money for an SNES collection.  I've been dying to play Super Metroid, Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, Breath of Fire 1 and 2, Secret of Mana.. I could keep going but you get the picture.  Thats just SNES games, and just RPGs to boot.  I haven't had a Nintendo system since Gamecube so there are a ton of titles I would love to pickup, wallet and backlog be damned.

Edited by angelgrievous

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

But Nintendo never had a console with VC ready right away, and the PS2 ports only came to PS4 after the console had been out for two full years. What works when ten million people have the console doesn't necessarily work when two million people have it.

I also don't think Nintendo themselves ever used that argument, that was just my own interpretation.

Oh, they haven't used that argument. I was calling you dumb, not Nintendo. :P

And yes, you're right about Nintendo waiting to release VC in the past. I just don't think it has anything to do with not cannibalizing sales, but is instead an issue of priorities. I realize it's conjecture, but I don't think there's any evidence to suggest that a significant number of gamers choose to buy a ~$10 re-release of an old game instead of a new one. Everyone heard about the new Zelda and wanted to play it. If anybody actually chooses to not buy Breath of the Wild and instead buys Ocarina of Time, they have to be statistically insignificant. Don't forget that potential BotW buyers with a Wii U had the exact choice you mention (and not just OoT, but almost every previous Zelda game is on the Wii U VC), and BotW has still sold pretty well on Wii U - almost half of what it has sold on Switch (which is excellent considering the Wii U is basically dead at this point). 

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

Yeah but who listens to you?

Certainly not my wife, or my daughter, or my dog! Or people at work when I tell them to submit tickets in our help desk system... basically nobody listens to me. Happy now? ?

1 hour ago, angelgrievous said:

I hope so.  I keep putting off shelling out big money for an SNES collection.  I've been dying to play Super Metroid, Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, Breath of Fire 1 and 2, Secret of Man... I could keep going but you get the picture.  Thats just SNES games, and just RPGs to boot.  I haven't had a Nintendo system since Gamecube so there are a ton of titles I would love to pickup, wallet and backlog be damned.

I played Super Metroid a couple of years ago on Wii U, and started Super Mario RPG. But having them on the Switch and being truly portable (instead of portable on the GamePad, within range of the Wii U console)? Hell yes. I'm really looking forward to the Switch VC. 

Edited by MosesRockefeller

9 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

And don't worry about it. I'm not a stamp tramp; BillyHorrible's Stamp Of Approval is worth a damn.

The only unsure factor here is that I have no clue about whether or not you like puzzle games, let alone physics puzzle games. But with the quality and weird humour of World Of Goo, I'm willing to bet. Just be sure to read all of the signs.

I enjoy good puzzle games that don't exist solely to fuck you. If the game is well made and not just difficult for the sake of being difficult, I'll get down with it. Weird humour is the only humour I know, so I'm down. I won't start it up until later tonight though, so I can play with audio in bed because I'm guessing it's a decent part of the humour.

8 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I know I don't matter, but I recommended World of Goo also... 

I hope so commander, for your sake... The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am.

8 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I still don't buy this argument. It's never stopped Nintendo in the past with the 3DS or Wii U VCs, and it's never stopped Sony with PSN releases. Time and time again we see remasters and ports come out in the lead up to a new series entry, or shortly afterwards, and it never seems to hurt the sales of the new game. 

It just sounds like a weak excuse for not having the VC ready. I think the more likely reason is that Nintendo just didn't put the resources into it yet, either because they didn't want to commit until they saw the Switch succeed, or because it just wasn't a priority

You're not wrong, but I can also say as someone with Mario Kart 8 on Wii U, if 64 had have been a day one download instead of a month or so for the re-release of the Wii U one, I'd have just grabbed 64 and been happy. I prefer MK8, but like, 80 RRP versus (hopefully) 10 or so for the old one when I already have MK8 on Wii U is a no brainer.

3 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

You're not wrong, but I can also say as someone with Mario Kart 8 on Wii U, if 64 had have been a day one download instead of a month or so for the re-release of the Wii U one, I'd have just grabbed 64 and been happy. I prefer MK8, but like, 80 RRP versus (hopefully) 10 or so for the old one when I already have MK8 on Wii U is a no brainer.

Yeah, but you're weird. You're the 1 Switch owner on the whole planet who didn't buy Zelda BotW with it. :P

Haaii @BillyHorrible Sorry that I am so late to the party but I'm ready to join the Switch family now :D I should of joined a lot sooner cause I did get the Switch at launch. I'll be spending a lot of time on my new console/handheld! I look forward to having fun and sharing my Switch stories and experiences with you all! ^o^

Games I played/own:

- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Games I have on preorder:

- Splatoon 2

- Super Mario Odyssey

Edited by ShonenCat

Just so everybody knows, I've apparently reached my like limit for the day again. I'll try to remember this all when I get some likes back.

4 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I enjoy good puzzle games that don't exist solely to fuck you. If the game is well made and not just difficult for the sake of being difficult, I'll get down with it. Weird humour is the only humour I know, so I'm down. I won't start it up until later tonight though, so I can play with audio in bed because I'm guessing it's a decent part of the humour.

Na World Of Goo is not difficult, it can be a bit frustrating at times but it's usually very obvious what needs to be done.

Most of the humour is more of the visual or text kind but certainly the audio is a part of the experience.

I hope so commander, for your sake... The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am.

Nice reference, wonder who the Emperor is right now though.

I loved Darth Vader in Rogue One.

1 hour ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Yeah, but you're weird. You're the 1 Switch owner on the whole planet who didn't buy Zelda BotW with it. :P

I'm nostalgic enough that getting an N64 or a SNES game I love means I won't bother with the new version full-priced. I thought Zelda would just be a good game and not as great as it turned out to be; if I could have downloaded six to ten NES/SNES/N64 games I would have done that and I'd have gotten Zelda when it was €30 or so. And why wojld I need any Mario Kart when I have Mario Kart 64...

I'd still get all those new games but perhaps not day one, perhaps not new but used...

10 minutes ago, ShonenCat said:

Haaii @BillyHorrible Sorry that I am so late to the party but I'm ready to join the Switch family now :D I should of joined a lot sooner cause I did get the Switch at launch. I'll be spending a lot of time on my new console/handheld! I look forward to having fun and sharing my Switch stories and experiences with you all! ^o^

Games I played/own:

- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

- Splatoon 2

- Super Mario Odyssey

Welcome! Just like @DuckSwimmer, I'll add you next week. Forgot to tell you both but only games you play through after joining the event will count... So could you both tell me which games you plan on still playing through after now?

It's no problem if that means you're not at four games right away; you can add to your list later when you buy new stuff.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Welcome! Just like @DuckSwimmer, I'll add you next week. Forgot to tell you both but only games you play through after joining the event will count... So could you both tell me which games you plan on still playing through after now?

It's no problem if that means you're not at four games right away; you can add to your list later when you buy new stuff.

Thanks @BillyHorrible Looking forward to being added ^-^ and I'm sure from this point on that I will play four more Switch games before 2017 is over!

On 5/20/2017 at 2:24 PM, MosesRockefeller said:

I also never bought a Halo, Forza or Gears of War game for my 360. I mean, I have the MCC, Horizon 1 and FF, and the first 4 Gears on Xbone now though Nothing.

On 5/20/2017 at 3:43 PM, BillyHorrible said:

Na World Of Goo is not difficult, it can be a bit frustrating at times but it's usually very obvious what needs to be done.

Most of the humour is more of the visual or text kind but certainly the audio is a part of the experience.

I loved Darth Vader in Rogue One.

I'm nostalgic enough that getting an N64 or a SNES game I love means I won't bother with the new version full-priced. I thought Zelda would just be a good game and not as great as it turned out to be; if I could have downloaded six to ten NES/SNES/N64 games I would have done that and I'd have gotten Zelda when it was €30 or so. And why wojld I need any Mario Kart when I have Mario Kart 64...

There's been a couple levels that had me stumped for a bit, but so far it's pretty chill. I clocked chapter 2 before, half way there now (and the epilogue). Pretty fun so far, but it's just a really really good flash game to me, which makes sense since I went into this thinking it looked a bit like Bridge Builder or whatever it's called.

The signs are good for a chuckle here and there but I wouldn't call the game comedic by any stretch. At least it's not trying too hard to be funny though. 

As did I. Best scene by far. I'm glad they didn't give in and do the easy thing by shoving him in every scene all the time, having him spaced out and used as a genuine thing of fear was the way to go and I think it was great. The people crying out for more Vader are stupid to me, it's not his movie. And if you want more of Vader, look at the prequel trilogy, that whole thing is his backstory, and since most of you fuckers don't like those movies, well.

I would probably just buy both, if Spidey 2 came out on PS4 by surprise on the same day as the new Spidey game, I'd get them both. But the truth is, outside of the Switch, I only buy games I'm sure of, so if I'm not sure of it, I probably wasn't gonna get it either way. If I still had the earlier versions though, I probably wouldn't bother. Like, Spidey 2 coming to PS4, I'd skip it unless it was dirt cheap because I can already put the disc in my PS3 fine, or turn the Wii U on and play the Game Cube version there and both are upscaled sufficiently. Spidey 2 coming to Switch though, I'd grab because it's portable and whatnot and offers something new. So I should say, if there was a reason to get the new release of the old game I'd grab it, like, Mario Kart 64 with online would have taken the place of Mario Kart 8 for me. Tony Hawk 3 with online support would best Tony Hawk 5 any day, and so on. But again, I'd get them both in the end anyway. So basically, this whole bit was useless because I have no impulse control and will just get them both anyway if they're both worth while.

Everyone's been updated, feel free to yell if I made a no-no.

On 19-5-2017 at 4:55 PM, DuckSwimmer said:

Id like to join (o:

Games to play

VOEZ

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

World of Goo

Super Bomberman R

Puyo Puyo Tetris

LOZ BOTW

Binding of Isaac Rebirth

Game I'll be getting when they release so they can be added to the list

Splatoon 2

Super Mario Sunshine - Virtual Console

Animal Crossing - Virtual Console

Luigi's Mansion - Virtual Console

SSB Mele - Virtual Console

Super Mario Odessy

Taiko no Tatsujin Switch

Just to be sure, the games you've listed on "Games to play" you are actually still going to play, right? You haven't already played through them?

On 20-5-2017 at 7:21 AM, ShonenCat said:

Games I played/own:

- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

- Splatoon 2

- Super Mario Odyssey

Checking if the games you already own can be counted: how far were you with Zelda and with Mart when you signed up?

19 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I also never bought a Halo, Forza or Gears of War game for my 360. I mean, I have the MCC, Horizon 1 and FF, and the first 4 Gears on Xbone now though Nothing.

Only big budget Xbox exclusive I enjoyed was Alan Wake, though I guess Forza was pretty okay. Also digital titles: Banjo-Kazooie (thanks Microsoft for buying up Rare and then keeping the best properties like Jet Force Gemini from us), Shuggy... Not much though.

There's been a couple levels that had me stumped for a bit, but so far it's pretty chill. I clocked chapter 2 before, half way there now (and the epilogue). Pretty fun so far, but it's just a really really good flash game to me, which makes sense since I went into this thinking it looked a bit like Bridge Builder or whatever it's called.

Bridge Builder looked to be pretty bad to me.

The signs are good for a chuckle here and there but I wouldn't call the game comedic by any stretch. At least it's not trying too hard to be funny though. 

I'd definitely call the game comidic, or at least with a (occasionally dark) humorous undertone. But of course the main gameplay is puzzling, so the humour is on the side. The humour and the story is what stuck with me, though if it doesn't appeal to you that much then at least it's mostly only through the signs so it doesn't intrude on the gameplay that much.

As did I. Best scene by far. I'm glad they didn't give in and do the easy thing by shoving him in every scene all the time, having him spaced out and used as a genuine thing of fear was the way to go and I think it was great. The people crying out for more Vader are stupid to me, it's not his movie. And if you want more of Vader, look at the prequel trilogy, that whole thing is his backstory, and since most of you fuckers don't like those movies, well.

There are definitely some good stories that can be told about Vader, though Rogue One was not his place. If you'd do something about Vader then you'd have to use him as a villain protagonist, because we know how anything with him as an antagonist will end up.

I would probably just buy both, if Spidey 2 came out on PS4 by surprise on the same day as the new Spidey game, I'd get them both. But the truth is, outside of the Switch, I only buy games I'm sure of, so if I'm not sure of it, I probably wasn't gonna get it either way. If I still had the earlier versions though, I probably wouldn't bother. Like, Spidey 2 coming to PS4, I'd skip it unless it was dirt cheap because I can already put the disc in my PS3 fine, or turn the Wii U on and play the Game Cube version there and both are upscaled sufficiently. Spidey 2 coming to Switch though, I'd grab because it's portable and whatnot and offers something new. So I should say, if there was a reason to get the new release of the old game I'd grab it, like, Mario Kart 64 with online would have taken the place of Mario Kart 8 for me. Tony Hawk 3 with online support would best Tony Hawk 5 any day, and so on. But again, I'd get them both in the end anyway. So basically, this whole bit was useless because I have no impulse control and will just get them both anyway if they're both worth while.

Yeah I'd get both in the end as well, but I wouldn't get the new game at full price on day one. Mario Kart 64 would mean I would have waited until 8 was at the 30-40 price range.

Definitely getting Super Mario Odyssey right away though, regardless of how many of the old Mario games will be on VC by then.

Dang, I really really hope that by the time our summer holiday hits we'll have VC support.

On 5/21/2017 at 7:29 AM, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

My friend noticed that before he starts his attack, Vader turned off the lights on his chest panel, which of course helped make him more fearsome. Genius. 

I actually like the prequels as a sort of guilty pleasure. I like to tell people that I will defend the story of the prequels until my dying breath. The execution of the story is very flawed, but the idea that Palpatine engineered the Clone Wars to kill the Jedi and seize power is just a brilliant idea, and worthy of the Emperor. Also, the Clone Wars animated series is awesome and wouldn't exist without the prequels, so there's that. Heck, it even makes Padme and Jar-Jar more interesting! 

On May 22, 2017 at 1:31 AM, BillyHorrible said:

Checking if the games you already own can be counted: how far were you with Zelda and with Mart when you signed up?

Heey @BillyHorrible I can bring you up to speed on my current progress in both games!

Breath of the Wild SPOILERS ahead!

As you can see, I have max heart containers. 1 stamina upgrade. Cleared 96 shrines. Found 87 Koroks and cleared the 4 Divine Beasts. Also have the Master Sword and have been rocking the Dark Link armor set for a while! Have not gone to the end of the game yet. Still doing side quests and the remaining shrines!

o92rdy.jpg

ou37tc.jpg

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe SPOILERS ahead!

The big unlocks I have so far are Gold Standard, Gold Mario, Gold Tires and 1968 out of 5000 coins worth the random kart parts. The only thing left to do is to collect 3032 coins for the rest of the kart parts and Gold Glider. Check out my stats! Smart Steering Use at 0%! Tilt Control Use at 100% I'm a beast!

:D

29fa7ud.jpg

9708de.jpg

2urm1yc.jpg

Edited by ShonenCat

On 5/22/2017 at 4:31 AM, BillyHorrible said:

Everyone's been updated, feel free to yell if I made a no-no.

Just to be sure, the games you've listed on "Games to play" you are actually still going to play, right? You haven't already played through them?

Yeeep that's correct. Haven't finished any of them yet.

On 5/22/2017 at 10:10 PM, MosesRockefeller said:

My friend noticed that before he starts his attack, Vader turned off the lights on his chest panel, which of course helped make him more fearsome. Genius. 

I actually like the prequels as a sort of guilty pleasure. I like to tell people that I will defend the story of the prequels until my dying breath. The execution of the story is very flawed, but the idea that Palpatine engineered the Clone Wars to kill the Jedi and seize power is just a brilliant idea, and worthy of the Emperor. Also, the Clone Wars animated series is awesome and wouldn't exist without the prequels, so there's that. Heck, it even makes Padme and Jar-Jar more interesting! 

I like the prequels. I saw Sith when I was like 8 or 9 and it was largely my first memory with the series. I went to my grandmother's a lot as youngin and would watch the OT on VHS all the time supposedly, which makes sense. Outside of her though, everyone else I knew either didn't like the things or actually hated the movies. I remember being in like grade 4 or 5 playing lightsabers and shit and being the outsider, it was hella nerdy then, now literally everyone is into it. The modern day cool kids are walking around with Star Wars snapbacks and shit, it seems so bizarre to me that not so long ago I was on the outside because of it. Anyway, there's a lot of good in the prequels, but I recently rewatched them with the missus and Jessie and well, there's also a shitload of bad.

Also, (god I hope you're the NBA Playgrounds dude) I forgot I had the thing on my SD card when I said the 47 second load time figure. I redownloaded it to the system memory and lo and behold... it's still 42 seconds, so yeah, the load times are a bit longer than desired, but oh well. The missus, surprisingly has really got into the game the last few days, perhaps more surprising is she's actually really good, even got the MVP a few times. As far as playing in 2 player goes, holy shit, this game is dope. Cannot recommend enough dude, it's worth stomaching the load times for.

Also, Billy, I finally finished the last thing in Rudymical, so that one's also clocked.

DUMB SHIT DYLAN'S DUMB SHIT REVIEWS OF DUMB SHIT

PART II

By Dylan.

OVER TOP - is another Neo Geo game. Neo Geo games, a lot of them anyway, are very arcadey, probably because a lot are actual arcade games. Arcadey games are great for replayability. Metal Slug and King of Fighters, the two previously mentioned ones on here, offer a shitload of replayability, because beating each of their main modes takes a good half hour if you're kicking ass, KOF maybe a little less but whatever. Anyway, they give you a fair bit of shit, and then you replay the shit out of it. This game, does not. I wanted it to be a bird's eye view Out Run, and to an extent it is, but it's also not. In this game you race against 3 other dudes who will probably end up miles in front of you from the get go and you're left to basically drive to the end of a static, unchanging course. It's fun, sure. It's fun to beat your times and everything, and you can beat the other guys, I'll usually at worst be second or third, but like, it's a 5 minute course at best and ALL you'll be doing is replaying that same course. It's not like it's not fun, because it is fun, but it's not something you'd play for an hour or two in a sitting like you easily could KOF and Metal Slug.

PRICE - Standard 9 bucks for a Neo Geo. Well, 9.10 but whatever. Worth it? I mean, if you'll get a shitload of use out of replaying the game, sure. But honestly of the 3 Neo Geo titles on here so far, it's the least worthwhile of them all. It's worth 9.10 if you have 9.10 to blow, but that 9.10 could be used to by literally any other Neo Geo game and offer a shitload more value and replayability. That's not a knock on the game itself, because what is there is worth playing and quite fun. I don't know. It's worth like 5 at best honestly, but oh well. I'd say wait for a sale.

MR. SHIFTY - is a PC and Switch exclusive, at the moment anyway. And the basic write up reads "Fuck man, Hotline Miami 3 is great." ... this fucker is what you'd get if Hotline Miami had prettier visuals, and a teleport function. You're a dude, who goes around trying to kill this one asshole because "he's an asshole" or maybe it was "evil asshole" either way, they said asshole and I appreciate that sort of directness. So there's 18 or so levels comprised of roughly ten Hotline Miami sized and styled rooms and you go around killing everyone with weapons or fisticuffs, it's very Hotline Miami. Then there's the teleport power which completely changes everything and is what makes the game "unique", you can use it to dodge bullets at the last minute, which not only saves you but kills the dickhead behind you, you can use it to jump between walls and shit, which provides cover and a stealth element and it's really just a well made game. Performance is pretty good for the most part, but it chugs a little bit on the last couple levels.

PRICE - Mr. Shifty dropped at 26 bucks. I wasn't doing super great, but I wasn't taking forever either, and my playthrough was clocked in at just over 3 hours, meaning I paid nearly 10 bucks an hour for the game if I don't replay it. I will replay it though, as it's really fucking fun and I think (and hope) there's a challenge mode or something you unlock when you clock it. Anyway, at a minimum of 3 hours or so, 26 may seem a bit steep, but if you're not an ace at these games (bear in mind I've platinum'd Hotline Miami) you'll probably hang around a bit longer, and if you're gonna replay it, even once, that brings it to a minimum 6 hours, and I've spent a lot more for a lot less. Is it worth 26 bucks? If you have 26 bucks, fuck yes. If you have 26 bucks and that's all you have for games, as much as I like this fucker, you'd do better to grab a couple of Neo Geo games and Kamiko.

KAMIKO - Speak of the devil. Kamiko is, from what I can gather from never playing any Zelda stuff outside of NES Remix, kind of like the old NES ones but really the fuck fast paced and shit. You run around as one of three girls from some heavenly realm or something (story isn't it's strong point) through these 4 areas trying to restore the natural order or something. You hold one button to sprint, and the other to use your sword. You will kill thousands of enemies by the time you finish your play through. It's like if Dynasty Warriors was bird's eye view levels of you smashing people with your sword. You kill a lot of people would be what I'm getting at. It's a bird's eye view/action adventure/hack n slash/quasi-sandbox colorful little fucker and whatnot. I'm good with words, aye.

PRICE - Coming in at around an hour, it's one of the shortest games I've ever played, I've genuinely played flash games that took longer to finish. That being said, there's 3 different campaigns to play through, each with their own character, and each with their own hour. Meaning, you've got a minimum of 3 hours, just like the last one on this list. Unlike the last one on this list, Kamiko is the equal cheapest game on the eShop (the other is Othello) coming in at 6.50. The game is an absolute joy to play and burn through as fast as you can, running through the levels to find the little pieces you need to unlock the next bit is great, the level design is adequate enough and the sprites are unique and easily identifiable. For 6.50, to get a good 3 hours of game time, before even touching the extra mode or replaying anything, this is a steal and if you've got a few bucks of chump change lying around on your eShop wallet you can't go wrong with this one.

I'll do some more later some time. Then put them all together some time. Spoiler alert though, NBA Playgrounds is the fucking shit and you should buy it now.

Blaster Master Zero

Graceful Explosion Machine

NBA Playgrounds

Dark Which Music Episode: Rudymical

• Like 1

DUMB SHIT DYLAN'S DUMB SHIT REVIEWS OF DUMB SHIT

PART II

By Tugboat Tobey

BLASTER MASTER ZERO - is a remake or reimagining of an NES classic by the same name, sans the Zero. You're a dude who fucks about in an 8 bit side scrolly / shootery / platformy world fucking shit up on foot or in your car. You're looking for your frog. Basically you lost your frog or something and you and this girl are trying to track it down and I'm about 2 thirds of my way through the game and I just got the froggy back, so I guess he's not gonna turn out to be the bad guy. Anyway, there's a large variety of enemies, delicious visuals if you're into the 8 bit aesthetic, a big ass bunch of upgrades and shit, a huge ass selection of levels to explore and hunt for hidden things, and some very inspired boss fights. The game is a beautiful little love letter to the original and an absolute blast. Get it, because Blaster. Fuck you.

PRICE - coming in at 13 bucks, Blaster Master dropped day one at a shitload less than the 90 Zelda wanted. I've been too busy playing other shit to finish the game, but I've clocked in a good 4 hours going as quick as I can and I'm still only about two thirds of the way through. A good 6 or 7 hours through the campaign on your first go without too much exploring is a decent amount for the price. Throw in the fact there's also a multiplayer mode (which I don't know the details of as I've not checked it out yet) and you've got a pretty sweet little package. Considering that this is a complete overhaul of the NES original, complete with HD quality 8 bit visuals and revamped levels and shit, and they want 13 compared to the 9.10 the Neo Geo ones want for direct ports, this is well worth the price if it's up your alley, and sure to provide a fair few hours of fun.

GRACEFUL EXPLOSION MACHINE - I said this game wasn't Resogun somewhere a while back. That's true, and also not true. Resogun is a continuously looping cylindrical level based space ship shooting bullet hell thing of a game. This game is very similar, without the cylindrical part. Basically you're a little ship going through a long rectangular series of levels shooting the shit out of all these swarms of colorful ships and the bullets that spew out of them. You've got 4 different weapon types, a beam lazer thing, normal-ish style bullets, lock on rockets, and this cool energy sword thing that does a circle around you and kills everything. You charge up these weapons by killing the other dudes. The more you kill, the more bullets you have. The more bullets you have, the more you kill. Each level is split into 3 phases, each of which is usually harder than the last. There's I think 9 levels in the first of four sets, and then a similar amount in the rest. I'm gonna round down to "over 30" though in case there's less in some of the later sets and I'm over selling it.

PRICE - I forgot the price, but Google tells me it was 15. For 15 bucks, that makes each level less than 50 cents. Each level lasts a good five minutes minimum so far, assuming you don't fuck up and die a few times. From a strict numbers standpoint, the game is well worth 15 bucks. As a game though, there's a lot in here. The game is a beautifully well made space shoot 'em up and, while I don't love it as much as Resogun, it does scratch that itch with impeccable skill. Resogun may be a better game, but this is definitely a bigger game. Coming in with over 30 levels, going against Resogun's 5, for 15 bucks, this game is a no brainer. In addition to the campaign mode, there's also a challenge mode or something, which is sure to keep you coming back for more when you're done with the main game. If you're into this kind of game, there's no way you won't get your 15 bucks worth out of it.

NBA PLAYGROUNDS - is the best game on this list. Well, maybe except for Mario Kart. NBA Playgrounds wants to be NBA Jam so bad, and at first you think it's not quite as good, but then you get more into it, and more into it, and more into it, and you realize it shits all over NBA Jam. Classic arcade physics and shots, with the ability to pull off alley oops and crazy dunks for the more skilled, the game caters to both experts and novices equally. At first I was missing almost as many shots as I was making, but as I progressed I got better and better and before you know it I was shooting perfect shots from the other end of the court to rub it in the AI's stupid face. As someone who doesn't give a shit about NBA, I couldn't care less if there was real players or not, but if you're actually into NBA there is soooo many players here, and hundreds more to supposedly come via free DLC updates from the developer. The physics are tight, the graphics are over the top yet realistically stylized, the controls are great. As you go, you'll rank up your players and shit and they will get better and unlock more moves also. If you were to 100% this game and unlock every player, and then level them all up to the max level, you'd be down for a good probably fifty hours easy. And that's if you don't suck. Multiplayer locally on this game is the fucking tits. Split your joy con in half and get ready to beat the shit out of the court, pulling off all sorts of moves your AI partner never seemed to be able to keep up with. The game's learning curve is very fair too, as I said, you might suck at first, but give it a good go and you'll get the hang real quick. The missus sucked so much ass at first, she was literally losing the game for us, but after 4 or 5 five minute matches she got the hang of it and we were in winning form real quick. It pays to stick with someone you're familiar with though, as some players can be radically different to others in terms of which shots they can and can't make.

PRICE - at 26 bucks it's one of the higher end of the lower end games. Which I guess puts it in the prized THQ mid range for prices. Tournament mode offers 5 or 6 tournaments, each with 4 games in them, and that's that. Once you've clocked tournament mode your time will be spent in either exhibition mode, which is basically you picking the level you play in and the time you want and all that, or online mode. I don't know anything about online mode, since it's coming later in a patch for the Switch version (boo) but you can imagine what it's like. So basically, as it stands, you've got one real mode that you will be playing the shit out of at the moment. There's close to ten levels (roughly, I didn't count...actually wait, let's play the memory game, Japan, France, Shanghai, Venice maybe, Seattle, New York, and so on, anyway, there's a decent few) and a shit load of players to unlock, level up, and beat. While there's only one mode, if you enjoy that one mode, there's DEFINITELY 26 bucks worth of content here, but if you're more into the basketball sim games then you might find it lacking, especially for 26 bucks, and waiting for 2K18 to drop on Switch might be your best bet. However, if you enjoy NBA Jam, this is your game, you want this thing, wait for a sale, buy it now, either way you will NOT regret it.

DARK WHICH MUSIC EPISODE: RUDYMICAL - has the longest ass name ever for a Switch game so far. Longest ever for one thing so far. Good start. Anyway, it's like if Guitar Hero had a baby with Street Fighter, only not at all. Anyway, the game is you standing still while an enemy throws balls at you to the tune of a song, you need to slash the balls in time with the song. Miss too many, you die. Hit enough of them to kill the other dude, you win and move on to the next song. There's 15 odd songs, each about 2 or 3 minutes long, and 4 difficulty levels to play on. Debuting earlier as a touch screen phone game, I find it feels much more at home with a phyical gamepad, especially on some of the later on levels with a shitload of things on screen to kill. Soundtrack is fun and full of energy, graphics are cute and colorful, and as with most rhythm games if you're having a good time the level of replayability is through the roof.

PRICE - Google says it's 9.99, I recall it being around 10 so this adds up. The phone version is available cheaper, at around 5 or 6 when I last looked, but that's to be expected and honestly, as much as I hate paying an unecessary premium, the game is great with buttons and is worth that bit more. Clocking in at 10 bucks, it's definitely not worth that much if this isn't your kind of game, and it very well may not be. If you don't get down to quick button pressy games and rhythm based combat style shit, this won't be up your alley and I won't try to lure you in. It's the same as Guitar Hero, some people just don't play that sort of thing and that's fine. While a lot of genres have room to lure in people who don't normally go for that sort of thing (see me with Gravity Rush and RPGs, or Catherine and whatever the hell style of game that was), this game is solely for the people who enjoy rhythm based combat style games, which is a stupid phrase probably not doing it justice because I poorly made it up then. However, if that sounds like your kind of thing, for what you get, I'd say there's 10 bucks worth of shit here. Going back for higher difficulty runs greatly increases the challenge and overall length of time spent on the game, and there's also a 2 player versus and co-operative mode I'm yet to try out as well, which should be a good bit of fun. Give it a look on YouTube and see if you like it, I thoroughly enjoyed my first playthrough and will definitely try to clock it on a higher difficulty somewhere down the line.

• Like 1

Everyone should be updated.

Personal update: Played through World Of Goo. Still a great game, though I must admit I found it harder to get through everything this time around. @Super-Fly Spider-Guy, what's your current opinion on the game? Still trust my stamps?

I also bought Human Resource Machine. It's a lot of fun, getting very hard now though and I refuse to look at a walkthrough. The level I'm at now is the Duplicate Removal (year 36 or thereabouts), I got stuck last time I tried but I think I have thought up a solution to my problem. It's basically a programming game, really like it and it has a good difficulty curve. I occasionally find myself creating a long list of commands without figuring out there can be a very short loopy way to write it as well.

I think I'll concentrate on getting through Blaster Master Zero, Human Resource Machine and backlog games on my PS4 and PS3, and I'll see what the E3 Nintendo Direct video has to say on VC games. Only thing out already that I'd want are Snake Pass, Bomberman and Street Fighter and none of those have the price I want to pay for them (Snake Pass was 20% off on PS4 pre-orders, I want the game on Switch but I don't feel like paying more - Bomberman is too high a price for the content, it should be €15-€20 - Street Fighter is a SF2T port/update and should have been €5-€10), luckily there's also a lot of Mario Kart still to play (should be close to 15 hours of playtime by now, about half of that is multiplayer, both couch and online).

Note to all the events I'm in: you'll notice I will be a lot less active on the threads. Nothing dramatic, just need/want to spend more time on other stuff (like actual gaming, and planning my next holiday). I will keep doing events though and I will keep updating the events I run at least once a month, probably at least once a week.

On 22-5-2017 at 2:10 PM, MosesRockefeller said:

I like Jar Jar. There, I said it (again).

On 24-5-2017 at 9:16 AM, ShonenCat said:

Heey @BillyHorrible I can bring you up to speed on my current progress in both games!

Breath of the Wild SPOILERS ahead!

Reveal hidden contents

As you can see, I have max heart containers. 1 stamina upgrade. Cleared 96 shrines. Found 87 Koroks and cleared the 4 Divine Beasts. Also have the Master Sword and have been rocking the Dark Link armor set for a while! Have not gone to the end of the game yet. Still doing side quests and the remaining shrines!

o92rdy.jpg

ou37tc.jpg

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe SPOILERS ahead!

Reveal hidden contents

The big unlocks I have so far are Gold Standard, Gold Mario, Gold Tires and 1968 out of 5000 coins worth the random kart parts. The only thing left to do is to collect 3032 coins for the rest of the kart parts and Gold Glider. Check out my stats! Smart Steering Use at 0%! Tilt Control Use at 100% I'm a beast!

:D

29fa7ud.jpg

9708de.jpg

2urm1yc.jpg

I'll count Zelda for this thread since you haven't done the end of the story yet, I'd say Mario Kart is too far to count though. Hope you agree with this.

On 27-5-2017 at 3:08 PM, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I like the prequels. I saw Sith when I was like 8 or 9 and it was largely my first memory with the series.

My nephew (now around 7 or so) has had his first Star Wars experience thanks to me, I figured he'd enjoy the prequels more but I still showed him A New Hope first. In a few years when he's old enough to actually understand the films (I had to 'translate' the film for him as there's no Dutch dub for it), I'll do the Machete order with him. For now, it's just cool space stuff (just like Jurassic Park and Jurassic World, where I showed him the cool dinosaur sequences and skipped the talking (and the deaths that were too graphic).

On 27-5-2017 at 3:08 PM, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Also, Billy, I finally finished the last thing in Rudymical, so that one's also clocked.

Done.

19 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

I'll count Zelda for this thread since you haven't done the end of the story yet, I'd say Mario Kart is too far to count though. Hope you agree with this.

That seems reasonable! I'll come back once I've made some serious progress or pick up a new Switch game! 

19 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Street Fighter is a SF2T port/update and should have been €5-€10)

I'm with you there. I'd love to pick up Street Fighter eventually but Capcom is charging way too much money for such an old title. Time to play the waiting game ^-^

Edited by ShonenCat
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Words and stuff and World of Goo and updates

World of Goo is dope. I haven't played it anywhere near as much as I'd like to have, but I've clocked in a good 7 hours or so playing it here and there when I get the chance. I'm on the last block of levels now, or what I believe to be the last ones, the Information Superhighway section. Also the build your own tower thing from the menu, I've popped 20 odd metres. I was doing so good the other day, then looked away for a few seconds and watched the thing fall. Crushing.

Anyway, it's a pretty good game, definitely challenging here and there. Lots of levels can be done in under half a minute, but then there's ones that took me a good half hour to finally finish. Kinda interested to see how the hell this would have played with Wii motes back in the day to be honest.

Also, I clocked NBA ages ago and Over Top is still in the games to play section. TBH I don't really look normally anyways, I mostly see what everyone else is up to.

PSA: Buying NBA Playgrounds before the patch drops (no date announced just yet) will get you a free copy of Shaq Fu 2 when it comes out. 

NBA Playgrounds on Switch is the ONLY version without online play. The devs promised a week or so back that they had an announcement for us Switch owners, and this is it. For our patience, we will get a free copy of Shaq Fu 2 later this year. 

NBA Playgrounds is a fucking amazing NBA Jam-esque game with limitless replayability. I have been playing the shit out of it with my partner in local co-op for a bit and we love it. I got it day one and it's ran 100% fine since then, no bugs or anything, just no online play. Soon enough that's going to be patched into the game, as was planned earlier. I assumed at first, this was a gift for early adopters, but it straight up applies to ALL people who buy it before the patch releases. So if you were on the fence about the game, get in now before the patch comes, and nab yourself a copy of Shaq Fu 2, sure to be game of the year from every outlet.

Source: 

Edited by Super-Fly Spider-Guy

Clocked World of Goo finally. Think that's my eleventh thing clocked? I've been keeping screenshots of the game over screens because I gotta do something with that button, and last I saw I think there was 11.

Over Top, Shifty, KOF, Metal Slug, Mario Kart, World of Goo, Rudymical, Fast RMX, Specter of Torment, Kamiko, NBA. Yup, that's 11. Good job memory, you got them all except NBA, the one game you can't go a day without.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Clocked World of Goo finally. Think that's my eleventh thing clocked? I've been keeping screenshots of the game over screens because I gotta do something with that button, and last I saw I think there was 11.

Over Top, Shifty, KOF, Metal Slug, Mario Kart, World of Goo, Rudymical, Fast RMX, Specter of Torment, Kamiko, NBA. Yup, that's 11. Good job memory, you got them all except NBA, the one game you can't go a day without.

I've done a lot with the screenshot button already. Then again, I've played Zelda and Snipperclips and you've played neither :) I'd say those two games make up for about 80% of my use of the screenshot button.

16 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

I've done a lot with the screenshot button already. Then again, I've played Zelda and Snipperclips and you've played neither :) I'd say those two games make up for about 80% of my use of the screenshot button.

Why though? Like, do you use the shots for sharing or wallpapers or anything? I have like 2 screens from inFamous: First Light's photo editor that I've put on my PSN profile thingy on the actual PSN, but that's like it. Otherwise it's just 5 second videos of me doing flips in cars in Vice City, that time I kicked a cow off a cliff in Just Cause 3 (just 'cause), or equally stupid stuff.

8 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Why though? Like, do you use the shots for sharing or wallpapers or anything? I have like 2 screens from inFamous: First Light's photo editor that I've put on my PSN profile thingy on the actual PSN, but that's like it. Otherwise it's just 5 second videos of me doing flips in cars in Vice City, that time I kicked a cow off a cliff in Just Cause 3 (just 'cause), or equally stupid stuff.

I've shared a lot of the Zelda and Snipperclips pics, yeah. The Zelda ones went directly into the BOTW thread (and I think into either this one and/or the general Switch thread as well), and into the Monthly Madness event, which I was using Zelda for as well. The Snipperclips pics were shared I think in the general Switch thread, but also in the Monthly Madness thread (because it was the game I 100% completed that month).

Last time I played HUman Resource Machine I ended up at the final level, by the way. I put the Switch away at that point and have only played Kart afterwards but I did check into said level and it's going to be a doozy.

So I'm going to do a little Switch game shopping this weekend and looking to pickup Graceful Explosion machine and NBA playgrounds. Thanks for the great reviews Super-fly-spider-guy. Does anyone else's have any opinions on NBA playgrounds. I am also considering Fast RMX but I have so many racing games .........

3 hours ago, cjshaitan said:

So I'm going to do a little Switch game shopping this weekend and looking to pickup Graceful Explosion machine and NBA playgrounds. Thanks for the great reviews Super-fly-spider-guy. Does anyone else's have any opinions on NBA playgrounds. I am also considering Fast RMX but I have so many racing games .........

My opinion on NBA Playgrounds is that I don't like watching other people play sports, I don't like playing sports games and NBA Playgrounds has nothing to change that opinion.

Never mind having so many racing games. Get Fast RMX, it's the closest thing you'll come to getting an F-Zero game on a recent console until the F-Zero games launch for the Switch's Virtual Console.

Really, Mario Kart and Fast RMX are completely different games, having one does not give you a pass on the other. Those are also the only two racing games on the Switch for now, if we don't count the Neo Geo game Over Top.

Personally, I want to add Snake Pass but only if they do a sale (it was 20% off on pre-orders on PS4 and it's now 40% off on PS4; I want it on Switch but I don't want to pay more than I should).

I'm still on the last mission of Human Resource Machine, by the way. It's hard for me right now to use my Switch for anything other than Mario Kart.

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 1