Update the game or not?

Hi All,

I've just started my MGS 5 journey, and wondering if I should update to the latest patch 1.12 or just continue playing in 1.00 for the trophy hunting.

I've been looking around but can't find a definiative answer if it's better to farm/play in unpatched, or just play patched. Can anyone shed some light for me?

Thanks in advance,

Zack

Hey man,

I recently started the game and wasn't so sure either so I went ahead and updated to the latest patch.  Wish I hadn't though cause I could've made things a lot quicker for myself, two thing to keep in mind if you're going for the plat is resources & online/offline mode!

1.  Nuclear Weapons - By updating the game above the disc version, you're changing the requirements for the nukes development.  If you update, you'll require online resources to build the nuke which means you might be playing an awful lot of FOB missions (which can be quite difficult).  If you forgo the update, you can use offline materials to build the nuke which can be earned in missions/free-roam/combat deployments and completing combat challenges.

2.  Also if you begin the game without connecting to the online server, all you need to do is level each of your teams to level 50.  If you do connect online at any point, you'll also need to raise the online security teams level above 50 which again, is a bit time consuming.

New to giving tips but hopefully the above helps you out :)

• Like 4

I've completed the game with latest patch and doesnt even need to do any farming. So I recomended this path.  With patch you gain alot of resouses from daily bonuses and your base development team also mission tasks provide alot of stuff for you and you don't even need to play any FOB missions.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
On 3/6/2017 at 9:51 PM, jayblonde said:

Hey man,

I recently started the game and wasn't so sure either so I went ahead and updated to the latest patch.  Wish I hadn't though cause I could've made things a lot quicker for myself, two thing to keep in mind if you're going for the plat is resources & online/offline mode!

1.  Nuclear Weapons - By updating the game above the disc version, you're changing the requirements for the nukes development.  If you update, you'll require online resources to build the nuke which means you might be playing an awful lot of FOB missions (which can be quite difficult).  If you forgo the update, you can use offline materials to build the nuke which can be earned in missions/free-roam/combat deployments and completing combat challenges.

2.  Also if you begin the game without connecting to the online server, all you need to do is level each of your teams to level 50.  If you do connect online at any point, you'll also need to raise the online security teams level above 50 which again, is a bit time consuming.

New to giving tips but hopefully the above helps you out :)

Wow I just got the game platinum yesterday and I got the game at launch but got nearly all those trophies before the patches happened I got lucky

I played and got the Platinum trophy on whatever latest patch there was.  I know resource farming seems to be something they changed but if you're into the game/series at all you will probably end up getting more than enough just by playing the game.  I know I did.  I didn't farm anything really, I just played through the game as usual and then went back for S ranks and soldiers.  

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, J_Johnson_96 said:

Definitely, i remember most of my S ranks coming from the time bonus. I just finished missions as quick as possible. For stealth your looking for the no traces bonus and i know which i'd prefer to do. 263a.png

Thats good to know , I love mgs but dont like stealth?

On 2017-9-30 at 7:25 AM, Romikot84 said:

Is it possible to s rank a mission without being stealthy ?

There are missions (subsistence) where you start the game without any weapons or items and enemies can spot you from farther distances, so you'll have to be stealthy on those ones as one alert might void the S-rank, I'm not sure about it tough, it's been a while since I played the game on PS3. 

Also other missions (stealth) require you to beat them without them without alerts as one alert means mission failed. These missions are variation of regular missions.

I got the Plat with the latest patch installed, honestly I don't remember having to do any extra grinding for the Nuke etc. But it still took me around 100 hours because of the amount of replays you need to do in order to S rank every mission, and finish all the side missions.