How Capcom Lost Its Way

Bullstomp

Capcom was once one of the premier publishers in video games, but in recent years their reputation, and in effect their games and their profits, have taken a well deserved beating. Lets look at their flagship fighting franchise, Street Fighter IV, as an example.

• Street Fighter IV released Feb 2009, received mostly positive reviews, widely believed to have re-invigorated the fighting game genre. Retail $59.99
  • SUPER Street Fighter IV released April 2010, contains the original 25 fighters from the previous edition plus 10 plus a few more bells and whistles. Retail $49.99
  • SUPER Street Fighter Arcade released June 7, 2011, contains all 35 of the previous fighters plus 4 more. Retail $39.99

In the days of DLC, how does a company reasonably expect consumers to buy a whole new game that is just a mild remake of the previous edition? That means the Capcom/Street Fighter loyalists who purchased each release spent $149.97. Now, you can get the most recent Super Street Fighter Arcade for free if you are a PS Plus member! Is that a good way to treat your loyalists? I wouldn't think so. However this is Capcom's current publishing model. Don't believe me? Look at these titles. -

• Resident Evil 5 > Resident Evil 5 Gold
  • Dead Rising 2> Dead Rising 2: Off the Record
  • Marvel vs. Capcom > Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom

I'm sure there are more but I think the point is made. The moral of the story is "Don't buy Capcom titles on release, wait at least a year so you get the full package". Heck, you may even be able to get it free.

• Like 2

DR2 off the record is a "what if" game.

Also, I believe the reason why capcom lost it's way is because of how they've been handling DLC and how they're still mad at them over MML3.

The issue is also that they don't have the same devs as they did back then. A lot of them have left, leaving them to get new people to work on future IP's. I think Ono san recently left the one that works with Street fighter, so they been getting in more deeper water.

It's hard for me to consider game from them these days, The only one I might consider is Lost planet 3 and any HD version of they're old games. (we have Okami where's Viewtiful joe 1 and 2?)

Street fighter X tekken was also a big part of it.

Edited by EliteVega

In the days of DLC, how does a company reasonably expect consumers to buy a whole new game that is just a mild remake of the previous edition?

You mean like EA does with FIFA 08/09/10/11/12... ? :D

or the Call of Duty-franchise ;)

Resident Evil 5 > Resident Evil 5 Gold

Essentially that is a complete edition. Something a lot companies do' date=' especially because it is the time of DLC.

After all it's common for quiet a while now, that you get the games for a cheaper price, once the first hype is over.

So, without protecting Capcom, most of these points go for very company.

And to be honest, it's only naturally, that they want to get the most out of their games. Otherwise --> no more games.

Heck, you may even be able to get it free.

Well, some people having PSplus and therefore might get some games for free (which isn't 100% correct, too, after all you pay money to kind of rent them), isn't really a reason.

Given all the potential customers (not only Playstation) this group is probably pretty tiny.

Just my two pence,

Nick

PS.: Happy Holidays! ^^

• Like 1

How Capcom lost his way :

-> DmC.

-> Cancelling Megaman Legends 3. Now that the 3DS do sell well, there's no f***ing excuse of not resuming the developpement. Or except one, no Inafune, no good game i guess :P

-> Poor treatment of most of the HD collection (the only exception is Okami HD) such as Devil May Cry, Resident Evil 4 and Code Veronica etc

-> Cancelling Megaman Universe

-> Putting more casual stuff into Game that doesnt need this in the first place such as the Gem system at SfXTk or the WTF Gamebreaker DLC at Dead Rising 2 Off the Record.

About Megaman. SfXMegaman is made by a fan, not by Capcom. That means a fan save the 25th anniversary of Megaman which is fate of Fans saved their favorite franchise themselves. When hearing this, i would have wanted SEGA to accept the Street Of Rage Remake that fans did instead of sue them ;/.

Edited by LordIchikyo

-> DmC.

I agree with most of what you said except for DmC.

I play the demo and thought it was very good.Then again I never been into Devil may cry. (only played 4 a little)

It is true fans still hate the game because of what Ninja theory made it into but it's not terrible. (at least not until we get the core game)

How will this sit well for them if they make Heavenly sword 2? or whatever there next game could be.

There's only one thing i dont like at DmC and i hope it'll not influence in the overall rating at each mission :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNyNX0jY7aA

Devil May Cry is also popular for being strict and stylish at working hard to masterize in order to SSS stuff. I really hope DmC doesnt casualize the franchise just like SF4 did by putting the Ultra.

I agree with most of what you said except for DmC.

I play the demo and thought it was very good.Then again I never been into Devil may cry. (only played 4 a little)

It is true fans still hate the game because of what Ninja theory made it into but it's not terrible. (at least not until we get the core game)

How will this sit well for them if they make Heavenly sword 2? or whatever there next game could be.

Thats why. You think its good because you havnt played DMC 1 or 3. Get the DMC HD Collection, play DMC 1 and 3 (forget 2 it was terrible) and compare to the new one. You will see the difference.

Edited by Edddyy