Why is Pascal referred to as a "he" ?

DARKB1KE

23 hours ago, zeda12123 said:

It seems like your issue is that you can't get over that someone with a feminine voice is being referred to as a man.

theres no real discussion to be had about it. 

I have no issue with it.  I was curious and asking opinions on why this might be.  I simply believe it is the developer switching things up to shock the player in this medium.   Sorry for wanting to learn more. 

Edited by DARKB1KE

25 minutes ago, DARKB1KE said:

I have no issue with it.  I was curious and asking opinions on why this might be.  I simply believe it is the developer switching things up to shock the player in this medium.   Sorry for wanting to learn more. 

Shock is the last reaction that I would have thought anyone could have to this. Like we've all said, he was given a kind and feminine voice to let you know that he's trustworthy, nurturing, and completely harmless compared to the war machines. 

Considering the game's overall themes, that's not surprising or confusing in any way no matter how I look at it. Pascal's voice suits his personality perfectly. Thinking that the developers did that just to be different and shock the player just goes to show that you really are hung up on a male character having a female voice. 

8 hours ago, ImplyingYouCare said:

Shock is the last reaction that I would have thought anyone could have to this. Like we've all said, he was given a kind and feminine voice to let you know that he's trustworthy, nurturing, and completely harmless compared to the war machines. 

Considering the game's overall themes, that's not surprising or confusing in any way no matter how I look at it. Pascal's voice suits his personality perfectly. Thinking that the developers did that just to be different and shock the player just goes to show that you really are hung up on a male character having a female voice. 

It's different for sure.

Anyways, I don't understand what's wrong with you guys.  I like how you create a fake account simply to post here and give people rep. 

Edited by DARKB1KE

1 hour ago, DARKB1KE said:

It's different for sure.

Anyways, I don't understand what's wrong with you guys.  I like how you create a fake account simply to post here and give people rep. 

Uhh, what? If you would have checked my trophies you'd see that I have 27 platinums under this username and that several of them take over 100 hours. This isn't a fake account, I don't use forums very much but decided to post this time because I was playing Nier and saw this thread in the recent posts tab. I only gave rep to 1 person ever and it was because they answered in a similar way to me while I was finishing typing my response.

Why are you accusing people of faking accounts if you can't even be bothered to check their stats? Seriously, you're being completely ridiculous about everything here. No one is being mean/unreasonable and no one is faking accounts just to like posts that disagree with you. 

3 hours ago, ImplyingYouCare said:

Uhh, what? If you would have checked my trophies you'd see that I have 27 platinums under this username and that several of them take over 100 hours. This isn't a fake account, I don't use forums very much but decided to post this time because I was playing Nier and saw this thread in the recent posts tab. I only gave rep to 1 person ever and it was because they answered in a similar way to me while I was finishing typing my response.

Why are you accusing people of faking accounts if you can't even be bothered to check their stats? Seriously, you're being completely ridiculous about everything here. No one is being mean/unreasonable and no one is faking accounts just to like posts that disagree with you. 

Sure sure buddy.  Whatever you say. 

On 01/05/2017 at 1:25 PM, DARKB1KE said:

This still doesn't explain the female voice and being called a "he". 

I didn't even know the character was not actually human before, I was just going by gender neutral names. I'd say having an AI with a female VA called a "he" is fine... Do you have a video clip with Pascal so I can actually form a valid opinion?

36 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

I didn't even know the character was not actually human before, I was just going by gender neutral names. I'd say having an AI with a female VA called a "he" is fine... Do you have a video clip with Pascal so I can actually form a valid opinion?

Skip to 3:30

http://kotaku.com/nier-automatas-most-human-character-is-an-alien-machin-1793574107

Pascal is something completely new and different. Voiced by a female actress but identifying as male, Pascal is a soft-spoken mechanical being who wants nothing more than to live conflict-free in his forest hideaway with his children.

http://nierautomata.wiki.fextralife.com/Pascal
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/168677-nier-automata/75121516

56 minutes ago, DARKB1KE said:

Thanks. Well, personally I have no issues with refering to this character as "he". The build is very male-robotics for sure. The mechanical characters seem to lack any kind of primary, secondary or tertiary gender characteristics, so the high voice and the gender neutral name are all that remain.

Okay, so I may get a bit philosophical here, but what exactly makes an AI male or female? GLaDOS is referred to in Portal 2 as "her" but the main problem is that she only sounds female because Cave Johnson used the voice of his secretary as the base for GLaDOS' voice interface.

Spoiler

Also her consciousness is probably in there somewhere but it seems to be only part of the full GLaDOS.

Problem is, how do we determine if an AI is male or female? There doesn't seem to be a way to do this as an AI is without gender unless we code one into it - an AI is purely asexual unless it's designed to replicate sexuality (I love the movie Ex Machina, by the way). Yet, as others have stated, calling a conscious being "it" seems so cold and distant, since we only use it for inanimate objects - and even then, cars lovingly get called "he" or "she" by some owners. Perhaps a new pronoun should be invented, or perhaps we shpuld just use he or she- bit then, which to use? Is an AI male or female purely based on its voice modulator?

The movie Wall-E seems to think so - Wall-E is a "little guy", EVE does not get hit by pronouns in the movie (I think) but is supposed to be female. I guess most others do this as well (Alien, Mass Effect, Futurama, Star Wars, Avengers...), and it's probably exactly because AI will interact with humans, and humans expect masculine voices to belong to male identities and feminine voices to belong to female identities. Honestly, I don't think we'll get out of this debate until a true AI is around and we can ask them how they feel about this. The likely outcome is that they'll change their voice modulator to fit with how they identify themselves.

P.S. I think this is a very cool discussion, maybe the best I've had all week.

P.P.S. I just asked my wife what makes an AI male or female, and she said it's female if it can multitask and it's male if it has to be persuaded to do something.

42 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Man, this is one strange thread. Anyway, Pascal is a perfectly cromulent male name. Also, this is my only account, although I do feel the urge to embiggen my rep by creating a false one.

Here, have a like for using the word "cromulent" correctly. People don't use that word often enough.

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 1

On 5/3/2017 at 2:06 PM, BillyHorrible said:

P.S. I think this is a very cool discussion, maybe the best I've had all week.

P.P.S. I just asked my wife what makes an AI male or female, and she said it's female if it can multitask and it's male if it has to be persuaded to do something.

Precisely :)  It's something to talk about for sure, even if it is such a miniscule and/or pointless thing in a videogame.  I'm very analytical, I pick up on the tiniest details when I play games.  I'm the explorer type, I love running around the map looking a texture details, listening to see if the subtitles match the audio being voiced!  I'm pretty sure I should work in QA because the finer things interest me.

By the way, cool wife if she can joke around like that!  You're a lucky guy. 

Most wives I know would be nagging at their guy to put away the games. 

5 hours ago, DARKB1KE said:

Precisely :)  It's something to talk about for sure, even if it is such a miniscule and/or pointless thing in a videogame.  I'm very analytical, I pick up on the tiniest details when I play games.  I'm the explorer type, I love running around the map looking a texture details, listening to see if the subtitles match the audio being voiced!  I'm pretty sure I should work in QA because the finer things interest me.

I'm guessing QA is not Question and Answer in this case... English is only my second language. Google says Quality Assuranse, so I'm guessing that includes the testers?

5 hours ago, DARKB1KE said:

By the way, cool wife if she can joke around like that!  You're a lucky guy. 

Most wives I know would be nagging at their guy to put away the games. 

Well, she can joke around and nag about my gaming at the same time, she's a multitasker ;)

Nah, she understands that gaming is an important hobby for me. She doesn't get it, but she understands, if that makes any sense. She plays along on occasion - LEGO games, sidescrolling platformers, puzzlers - but not much. Well, I knew she wasn't much of a gamer and she accepted I was a gamer, and we were still married so I guess that counts for something :)

• Like 1

On 02/05/2017 at 2:21 PM, zeda12123 said:

It seems like your issue is that you can't get over that someone with a feminine voice is being referred to as a man. 

What a bunch of nonsense lol, your creating the issue,

How did this response get likes?

Anyway. I was also like whoa pascals a "he"? 

Buzzing. 

All I see is a curious serious question. With a lot of non helpul answers. 

Nice one guys. 

• Like 1