Premier League Football (Soccer) Thread

ille1234

I truly feel sorry for youngsters who will never see Sir Alex's post-match interviews, experience his mind-games and witness his clear unrelenting will to win; he deserves his place in the pantheon of greats without a shadow of a doubt. 

Moyes is a shoo-in for the job; he's out of contract at Everton, he possesses many similar attributes to Ferguson, he's proven to be loyal and puts a lot of emphasis on youth development. Also, he's a highly respected man who manages to avoid the hoopla that, say, Mourinho actively seeks and enjoys. 

• Like 2

Shock and Sad to see Sir Alex Ferguson retire end of the season, expected but never expect to be end of the season.

Thank You Sir Alex Ferguson for bringing so much glory to Manchester United in the part 26 years.

Whoever fill the hot seat will have "hairdryer" treatment from SIr Alex if the manager didn't do well with the result or the team preform...

(He will move upstairs to become a director and ambassador)

Look like Daivd Moyes...getting the hot seat....

Devils within me since 1984

Edited by foot_ball_nut
  • Like 1

As im sure you can guess i really don't care much for Man U..But SAF was a fantastic manager and all i can do is wish him the best with his new role on the board. He can be regarded as arguably the best manager ever in the English game and maybe even the game as a whole. 

There are rumors that Moyes from Everton could be announced to take over within the next 15 hours. If that is the case i wish him the best of luck.. I feel that year in and year out he has been one of the best manager in the league. He has made Everton a top 4 club contender in the last couple years despite the Toffee's financial problems. I think he will be a great addition to Man U..

The premier league won't be the same next year, the times are changing... Can't wait to see what comes next.

Well what a game last night a draw was a fair result on balance, thought it wasn't going to go very well for us when Oscar scored the headed tap in but a moment of genius from Adebayor restored the faith and with Siggy scoring the equalizer I thought we could perhaps nick it at the end heres hoping either Wigan or Newcastle take points off Arsenal and we win our final two against Stoke and Sunderland, gotta keep believing COYS  :D

In other news sad to see that Petrov at Villa has retired today in his prime, hope he wins his battle with Leukemia and the way the Villa fans at every home game have a minutes applause for the guy (and the away fans join in every time) shows the respect he has amongst football fans nationwide

Aston Villa have announced that Stiliyan Petrov, who has retired following his battle against acute leukaemia, will lead out the team's traditional lap of appreciation after their final home game of the season against Chelsea on Saturday

Edited by Greenguy81

I see it has been confirmed that David Moyes is definitely taking over at the end of the season at Man Utd, good to see a manager that has performed so well and consistent gets a top job.  Good luck to the guy he deserves this chance

I may have thought many times he was crazy, insane or a moron, but he always managed to suceed anyway. Goodbye, Sir Alex, thanks for everything.

Now I just hope Moyes does well next season, and that Rooney stays at the club, seeing how much I like the guy.

428534_465505016877721_703001895_n.jpg

Edited by Nagflar

I may have thought many times he was crazy, insane or a moron, but he always managed to suceed anyway. Goodbye, Sir Alex, thanks for everything.

Now I just hope Moyes does well next season, and that Rooney stays at the club, seeing how much I like the guy.

Apparently he put in a transfer request a few weeks ago but he was denied it again. He wants to leave but they won't let him

Rooney has also openly stated that he does not wish to play for his former gaffer.. I don't think he will stay now that SAF is gone.. But where will he go is the real question. Does he stay in england or head to someplace like PSG or Madrid, both teams he has been linked to in the past and have a BOATLOAD of money..

Apparently he put in a transfer request a few weeks ago but he was denied it again. He wants to leave but they won't let him

Yeah, they apparently want to keep him at the club for the rest of his contract. I'm against clubs keeping players against their will, but he's pretty much one of the few players that's always playing and trying to win. The rest lack that mentallity.

As long as he doesn't leave to Manchester City or some other lame England team, I won't really complain as much lol.

Yeah, they apparently want to keep him at the club for the rest of his contract. I'm against clubs keeping players against their will, but he's pretty much one of the few players that's always playing and trying to win. The rest lack that mentallity.

As long as he doesn't leave to Manchester City or some other lame England team, I won't really complain as much lol.

Rooney hardly played this season, and when he did he was not only lacklustre, but at times he look wholly disinterested; his fitness, passing and tenacity seemed to have alluded him. His petulance and disrespect will not be entertained for the length of his contract - if United can move on without Sir Alex then Rooney is most definitely expendable. 

Also, this sorry state of affairs speaks volumes about his character as a man. When Rooney demanded a move a few years ago it was on the basis that United lacked ambition - particularly in the transfer market - and that his "ambition" would be better matched elsewhere. At the time United were just on the back of two consecutive Champions League finals - hardly a team that is showing a lack of ambition. Rooney got a bumper new contract and everyone moved on.

Now, here we are a few short years later and he's demanding a move again. Rooney got his wish and Ferguson made two marquee signings in the form of Van Persie and Kagawa last sumer, the latter will be an absolute monster of a player, mark my words. So, Rooney's wish is also what also came to be his downfall as he is no longer United's main guy, and instead of attempting to up his game or fight for his place he throws his toys out of the pram and complains about not being played enough? I'm sorry, I feel no sympathy for the man - he's moronic in every sense of the word. 

If he doesn't want to be there, he'll be moved on. The last thing Moyes wants is to do is walk into a dressing room after Sir Alex and deal with players who no longer want to be there; his job will be hard enough as it is. If Rooney continues to act disrespectful, or if he hands in a formal transfer request, he'll be gone quickly and painlessly; much in the same way Moyes' appointment was done.

No player is bigger than any club, Rooney still hasn't seemed to realise that. 

Edited by Gotakibono
  • Like 1

Rooney hardly played this season, and when he did he was not only lacklustre, but at times he look wholly disinterested; his fitness, passing and tenacity seemed to have alluded him. His petulance and disrespect will not be entertained for the length of his contract - if United can move on without Sir Alex then Rooney is most definitely expendable. 

Also, this sorry state of affairs speaks volumes about his character as a man. When Rooney demanded a move a few years ago it was on the basis that United lacked ambition - particularly in the transfer market - and that his "ambition" would be better matched elsewhere. At the time United were just on the back of two consecutive Champions League finals - hardly a team that is showing a lack of ambition. Rooney got a bumper new contract and everyone moved on.

Now, here we are a few short years later and he's demanding a move again. Rooney got his wish and Ferguson made two marquee signings in the form of Van Persie and Kagawa last sumer, the latter will be an absolute monster of a player, mark my words. So, Rooney's wish is also what also came to be his downfall as he is no longer United's main guy, and instead of attempting to up his game or fight for his place he throws his toys out of the pram and complains about not being played enough? I'm sorry, I feel no sympathy for the man - he's moronic in every sense of the word. 

If he doesn't want to be there, he'll be moved on. The last thing Moyes wants is to do is walk into a dressing room after Sir Alex and deal with players who no longer want to be there; his job will be hard enough as it is. If Rooney continues to act disrespectful, or if he hands in a formal transfer request, he'll be gone quickly and painlessly; much in the same way Moyes' appointment was done.

No player is bigger than any club, Rooney still hasn't seemed to realise that. 

I beg to disagree. Not only did he suffer a few injuries, but Ferguson sometimes benched him without a reason. Having such a mediocre player such as Welbeck start instead of him against bloody Real Madrid is something I'll never understand, even if the dude scored a goal (where he simply pushed the ball in, and did nothing else during that or the next match).

He's lacked the accuracy and lethality of previous seasons, but still performed rather well. He's responsible for many of Robin's important goals and he's still one of the few players that seems to be able to fill in the lackluster and mediocre midfield the team's had for 2 straight seasons.

Oh, I believe Kagawa will be a great asset to the team, it's just his injuries haven't allowed him to do shit this season :P . Same for Robin, even if he scores 70% of his goals when they're not playing against a very competitive team. However, it doesn't seem he's been benched in favor of those two, seeing how they pretty much always teamed up together (just check how manny assists Rooney made to Robin), so that argument is kind of false.

To me Rooney seems to have the type of personality that if the attention is taken away from him then he isn't happy, he would in my eyes prefer to be in the position where he is the BIG FISH in a small pond rather than everyone in the team being the same.

On to today and I really hope Wigan can cause a HUGE upset and beat Man City in the FA Cup (I would probably say everyone except Man City fans are hoping for this :highfive: ) and to top it off hope that Villa can get some points against Chelsea to help Spurs in the top 4 hunt  :D

Edited by Greenguy81
  • Like 1

Looking at the papers this morning it seems that Moyes is willing to let Rooney go over the summer if the price is right - they're looking at offers for £30m or more and plan on putting it towards a replacement.

If Wigan win today then I'm pretty sure Connman will jizz himself :P I'm pretty sure Mancini will get the boot if they do as well - especially when you tin in this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-city/10050337/Manchester-City-manager-Roberto-Mancini-on-the-brink-as-club-close-in-on-Malagas-Manuel-Pellegrini.html

Also Benfica (74 points) and Porto (72 points) are playing later. Both teams are undefeated this season and this could essentially decide the portuguese league champion. I know that's not Premier League Football but it's still quite interesting. Maybe somebody should rename this to the Football Thread :hmm:

Edited by Lee
  • Like 1

Looking at the papers this morning it seems that Moyes is willing to let Rooney go over the summer if the price is right - they're looking at offers for £30m or more and plan on putting it towards a replacement.

If Wigan win today then I'm pretty sure Connman will jizz himself :P I'm pretty sure Mancini will get the boot if they do as well - especially when you tin in this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-city/10050337/Manchester-City-manager-Roberto-Mancini-on-the-brink-as-club-close-in-on-Malagas-Manuel-Pellegrini.html

Also Benfica (74 points) and Porto (72 points) are playing later. Both teams are undefeated this season and this could essentially decide the portuguese league champion. I know that's not Premier League Football but it's still quite interesting. Maybe somebody should rename this to the Football Thread :hmm:

IMO for how Rooney's form has been in recent years in todays market I would say that £30M is really pushing it I think if they were looking for around the £20M pound mark or a wee bit more then that would be more reasonable.

I think Mancini may get the boot even if they win the FA cup, Man City by last season's standards have been poor this year, could be because of the injuries that they have had but they have lost too many points from winning positions or from games that they have drawn and should have won with the amount of chances that they have created.

I'll keep an eye out for the Benfica Porto game sounds like it could be a real nail-biter for their fans but usually good for the neutral BTW I agree this thread does need renamed to the Football thread  :D 

Congrats are in order for Frank Lampard, Chelsea's new top scorer wit 203 :) Legend is thrown around quite a lot but I reckon that this guy really is

SxvLs3h.jpg

Holy shit Wigan won! Connie is jizzing himself at Wembley right now!

Edited by Lee

The ball is round...YES, WIGAN ATHLETIC have Win the 2012/13 F.A Cup.

Always remember the ball is "round" you will never know the outcome till the final whistle...

Congratulation to Wigan Athletic, now must turn their attention back to Premier League got two match to save their top flight stay...

I screamed uot of surprise and a little joy with that header, and I'm sure it's but the fraction of what Conn did hahaha. They really did it well, played as much as they could, defended the best they could and took their chances. Even if they did screw up once or twice, City screwed up about 6 times that. In the end, he who scores wins anyway.

What a great weekend of Footie, Congrats to Wigan in winning the FA cup, Spurs kept up the pressure for a top 4 spot beating Stoke  :highfive:  Watford's last gasp winner after conceding a penalty to Leicester in the 90th minute and finally Ferguson and Moyes last home games in charge of their respective teams.

Hoping for a Wigan win against Arsenal tomorrow so that a) it puts Spurs in the driving seat for top 4 and B) keeps Wigans chances of staying in the Premiership alive  :awesome: